The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

I post new threads b/c I roll like that

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rxforwar
Seventh Nation

Nation Reputation : 32

PostSubject: I post new threads b/c I roll like that   Sat May 08, 2010 7:56 pm

Ok, question for you. I respect all of your opinions...

...well...except yours...
*points vaguely off into group of forum members*
...so I need your input here to settle a dispute b/t the wifey and myself.

I notice today, as I'm a 'noticer', that one of the lights on our ceiling fan in the kitchen has gone out.
No prob.
I take out 4 new bulbs, and go about unscrewing the other bulbs from the fan, with the intention of replacing all 4.

Wife: "Uh, what's up there?"
Rx: "Bulb is out, gonna replace them all."
Wife: "Gonna...replace them all?"
*look of puzzlement*
Rx: "Well, yeah. They were all put in at the same time. They all had the same shelf life when installed. They all belong to the same f'ing union. If I replace one, the others are going to burn out in short order, I'm just saving myself 3 more trips, as I see it."
Wife: "So the other bulbs are still working."
Rx: "Well, no, I'm holding them in my hand right now, see?"
*shows wife bulbs*
Rx: "But if your question is, 'would they still work if they were screwed in?', then yes, I'm quite certain 3 of them would. As to which 3..."
*Rx begins shaking lightbulbs looking for the burned out one*
Wife: "I know you're no rocket scientist, but this seems like it's a little on the dumb side, even for you. Are you seriously going to replace working lightbulbs?"
Rx: "Not going to...have...but is your question 'Am I serious?'"
*Now, of course, my wife, being human, like the rest of you, HATES when I correct the questions she means to be asking, so at this point, I reconsider my options, as I'm on a ladder, and she has a wide birth of things she could, and probably should, be throwing at me right now. And as ninja as I am, I missed the 700 level course on dodging cook books whilst on a ladder*
Wife: "&$$hole, I mean why are you wasting lightbulbs?!?"
Rx: "See, I don't see it as wasteful. They're going to burn out, and, based on existing performance, soon. Further, what good are the new bulbs that we already have doing in their boxes, when what we need them to be is in our light fixture."
Wife: *incredulously* "Bbbbbbbut they still WORK."
Rx: "Yes, but not for long enough that I feel like I'm saving the money vs. the time I'm going to spend getting the ladder back out, and replacing these f'ers as they die."
*It was at this point I was going to mention that they'd be having snowball fights in hell before she'd try to replace any lightbulb anywhere, while managing to point out every single one every single time*

*see...Rx can learn...it just takes a loooooooooong time Laughing *
Wife: "Even if you were right...and you're not...why wouldn't you save the bulbs that work, and put them into any of a number of other fixtures when one of 'x' bulbs die, so that you reduce the liklihood of having to bust the ladder out all the time."
Rx: "First, if you think the bulbs would then burn out at the same time, rather than simply closer together, you're dilusional. Second, if you think I'm going to be in charge of stockpiling 'on death's door' lightbulbs, you're coo-coo."
Wife: "I hope GE (general electric, the company that makes the bulbs) sends us a f'ing christmas card this year. Loons like you are part of the problem."

Ok. I am part of the problem. I can't argue with the lady here.
But how crazy am I? Suspect
Discuss...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eve
Eighth Nation

Nation Reputation : 26

PostSubject: Re: I post new threads b/c I roll like that   Sat May 08, 2010 8:02 pm

i would have done the same...

but i cant argue with me mom tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
banded1
Tenth Nation

Nation Reputation : 59

PostSubject: Re: I post new threads b/c I roll like that   Sat May 08, 2010 8:23 pm

well, why not leave working bulbs in? who says the bulb that went out wasnt flawed in some way and burnt out early? Razz

also, all bulbs are made differently, so some will last longer than others. by the time the next one goes out i bet youll barely remember having to replace the one thats out now Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SparklyBazongaz,
11th Nation

Nation Reputation : 37

PostSubject: Re: I post new threads b/c I roll like that   Sat May 08, 2010 8:49 pm

if you brought all the bulbs at the same time, installed them in the one sitting,
then one busts..

REPLACE THEM ALL.

i have learnt from my mistakes.
to which currently i have two different types of bulbs in my lights -.-
and its f'ing annoying :/

and we all know that those suckers are gonna bust, and then you're gonna have to drag out the ladder...
thus causing annoyance and an argument of
'i told you we should have changed them all'

Change them all Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 167

PostSubject: Re: I post new threads b/c I roll like that   Sat May 08, 2010 9:32 pm

Sorry.
I gotta side with the wife on this one.

Your logic is pretty sound, I will say.
But idk......

I usually go 1 by 1 myself.

This disrupts the one goes right out after the other cycle.

You must have high ceilings if you need a ladder.
or short legs?
scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation

Nation Reputation : 100

PostSubject: Re: I post new threads b/c I roll like that   Sat May 08, 2010 9:35 pm

Well, if it's a pain in the butt to get up to the light there, you might want to change them all. Maybe you could put the still alive bulbs somewhere else? Laughing I agree with Banded too: that one might be defective so the others still might have a ways to go.

Here's what we do:

We have a ridiculous number of flourescent tubes in the kitchen. Too many, IMO. I think when half of them die, then we change those ones for new ones. If one or two dies you can still see well, but as you approach the half-way mark things become difficult.

How's the view with only three working lightbulbs? Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rxforwar
Seventh Nation

PostSubject: Re: I post new threads b/c I roll like that   Sat May 08, 2010 9:43 pm

SayberBANG! wrote:
if you brought all the bulbs at the same time, installed them in the one sitting,
then one busts..

REPLACE THEM ALL.

Change them all Wink

You are, quite clearly, a genius. Cool
I feel the exact same way.
But noooooooooooo.

But my wife is like
Wife: "Dumbass, they're never...NEVER... all going to burn out at the same time.
Rx: "True. Now the better question is, did you just make my point, or yours?"
Wife: "So you're saying all people, everywhere, who have ornate chandeliers in their dining areas, the crystal ones with like 40 little bulbs in them, whenever one goes out, they should replace them all??!!??" Shocked
Rx: "No. That would be teh dumb."
Wife: "If that's 'teh dumb', 'teh dumb' should meet you.
*yes, I say 'teh' sometimes. yes, wife now does it too Laughing *
Rx: My dumb isn't in dispute. But I was making an efficiency v. cost point, and still am. 4 bulbs, when you know they're all the same age is worth the cost vs the pain in the ass factor. But 40 is rediculous. There's going to be a defective bulb, or one is going to die early...or two...or three...but out of 40, no one will see it."
Wife: "I'd see it."
Rx: "BUT YOU'RE CONCENTRATED EVIL, WOMAN!!!"
*I duck, having my back to my wife at this point, expecting something to sail by. She, had item in hand, I find, as I turn around, but decided not to throw, as a kid had walked in, and while assaulting me when no children are present is apparently all good fun, when a kid is present, it's apparently not cool.*
Rx: "Sorry, I see a 4 to 1 ratio on lights as being ok to replace all at once. Can we address now why you have an opinion on this?"
Wife: "It's on our katuba. Read it."
--google katuba...I don't have time, I'm not in that cult anymore anyway... Laughing
Rx: "I did, it's not there!"
Wife: "The hebrew side... Cool "
Rx: "Damn-it woman, you know I don't speak french!"
Laughing

That's the funny thing, Az. It's in our kitchen which gets a southern exposure. It's ALWAYS light in the kitchen. Well, except at night... Thinking But we have so many lights in our kitchen...14, not including the under cabinet lighting...NO ONE is EVER going to say we should have put a couple more lights in.

Except maybe leo. He does like it dark. :vampire:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 203

PostSubject: Re: I post new threads b/c I roll like that   Sat May 08, 2010 9:49 pm

^Point. Exactly how bright do you need it where these are? One 60watt bulb can easily light a fair sized area. Or is having them all working at the same time an insisted on thing "for the sake of appearances"?
Whichever way you decided to change them, my advice is to replace all your bulbs with the energy efficient ones. I put one in my bedroom lamp which is one for long periods of time every day and it's been over a year in there and still going strong. This way you don't have to worry about this kind of argument nearly so often. Smile

Edit: Post ninja'd.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation

PostSubject: Re: I post new threads b/c I roll like that   Sat May 08, 2010 9:50 pm

You found be fine in the summer then. I'd leave the dead bulb where it is until another dies. I might change that lonely bulb in the winter though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rxforwar
Seventh Nation

PostSubject: Re: I post new threads b/c I roll like that   Sat May 08, 2010 9:53 pm

I likey the energy efficient bulbs, but not the ones that look like puff cheetos.
When we first moved into the house, I put whatever $hit I could find in, and had to replace half the bulbs in the house within the first 2ish years. It was then that whenever a bulb went out in a room, I'd replace the room.

That's worked out fairly well. Apparently what got wife's goat was that she didn't know I'd been doing this. I mean, yeah, money's tight...but lightbulbs...?

It's a shame you need a decoder ring to figure out women sometimes. More of a shame that not being able to figure them out is, at any given time, half the problem, as far as they're concerned.

Wait...I digress...lightbulb discussion...continue.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SparklyBazongaz,
11th Nation

PostSubject: Re: I post new threads b/c I roll like that   Sat May 08, 2010 9:54 pm

id still replace them all.

sure they arent all gonna bust at the same time... (unless of course you do that yourself to prove a point Laughing)
but its better to replace them all,
and use the other three elsewhere until they burn out then to wait around for them all to burn out.
once the cycle starts with the 'replacing only one at a time till they burn out' then its gonna keep going like that... thus epic fustration,
many ladder trips, and having to go out and buy one lightbulb...

change em all when shes not there Wink Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rxforwar
Seventh Nation

PostSubject: Re: I post new threads b/c I roll like that   Sat May 08, 2010 9:56 pm

SayberBANG! wrote:

change em all when shes not there Wink Cool

If she's not there, do you really think I'm going to be focused on light bulb changing?
I mean...I get your point. Laughing
But consider this...
...you just told me that when the wife is away, I should...change...lightbulbs...
That's...pretty funny. Laughing
*puts changing lightbulbs at number 51 to do when wife is away*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation

PostSubject: Re: I post new threads b/c I roll like that   Sat May 08, 2010 9:58 pm

I guess the question is:

What are you doing with the still-working lightbulbs?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpongeBobNoPants
Ninth Nation

Nation Reputation : 19

PostSubject: Re: I post new threads b/c I roll like that   Sat May 08, 2010 11:50 pm

Change them all!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SparklyBazongaz,
11th Nation

PostSubject: Re: I post new threads b/c I roll like that   Sun May 09, 2010 4:20 am

if i was home alone, and i saw a light out,
of course id change the lightbulb...
after i accidentally drop the ladder on the car, smashing the winscreen, blaming 'my lack of coordination' for the mishap,
then carrying it inside, breaking other various objects, and possibly putting another hole in the wall..
changing the lighbulb while hot, burning myself, and dropping it,
and then mixing up the lightbulbs..
then wonder why it doesnt work, give up and leave the mess as i make myself a sandwich..

then of course i would!

just dont do anything I wouldnt do Wink

Cool

Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 111

PostSubject: Re: I post new threads b/c I roll like that   Sun May 09, 2010 9:20 am

I've found that the candles don't all burn at the same speed and that careful wick trimming is required to try to balance out the combustion rates. I replace a candle after three failed attempts to light it with a match.

The other thing I do is leave buckets out on the patio on a sunny day. Then, after a couple of hours exposure I put a lid on and take them inside. Then, when it gets dark I open the lids a crack and let the stored sunshine slowly escape. This is a very cost effective way of lighting a house requiring only sufficient space to store a large number of buckets.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rxforwar
Seventh Nation

PostSubject: Re: I post new threads b/c I roll like that   Sun May 09, 2010 11:20 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I've found that the candles don't all burn at the same speed and that careful wick trimming is required to try to balance out the combustion rates. I replace a candle after three failed attempts to light it with a match.

The other thing I do is leave buckets out on the patio on a sunny day. Then, after a couple of hours exposure I put a lid on and take them inside. Then, when it gets dark I open the lids a crack and let the stored sunshine slowly escape. This is a very cost effective way of lighting a house requiring only sufficient space to store a large number of buckets.

I don't mind your being a nudist. However, the incessant bragging about it can, at times, be offputting. Especially in light of your Abba debacle.
Although, now that I know you're a girl, I might not mind so much. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leo_337
14th Nation

Nation Reputation : 113

PostSubject: Re: I post new threads b/c I roll like that   Sun May 09, 2010 11:30 am

LoLz... Lightbulbz. Laughing

You should have what any self-respecting man/ninja/hybrid has, which is a 'man-drawer' in which you must place said bulbs (including the original burnt out one) and mix them up so that the next time you have to replace a bulb you have to shuffle through at least half a dozen bulbs in order to find one that will work... The increased stress levels of this situation will manifest in long, low grumbling emanating from you as you drag out the ladder ( Laughing ) to change the bulb. Teh wife will notice this and, feeling guilty for never changing a bulb in the house, will gravitate towards the fridge and retrieve one/several cold beers as some kind of reward for your hard work and long, low grumbling. Result - Next time a bulb blows teh wife will automatically check the fridge first to see if there is enough beer for you to carry out the bulb-changing or not, balancing the cost of said beer against the call out charge of a local handyman-bulb-changer.. Regulating your beer/light ratio in this way you can actually control the amount of times you need to retrieve the ladder ( Laughing ) to a more convenient level for you. Wink

Or teh bucket idea could work as well. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rxforwar
Seventh Nation

PostSubject: Re: I post new threads b/c I roll like that   Sun May 09, 2010 12:01 pm

I'm a f'ing dwarf hybrid. I need a ladder to get to the f'ing counter sometimes. So having to bust that thing out to reach the damn kitchen fixture already comprises my requisite stress level, thanks.

That beer thing was a good idea though. I'll go avail myself of one of those stress relievers now, methinks. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leo_337
14th Nation

Nation Reputation : 113

PostSubject: Re: I post new threads b/c I roll like that   Sun May 09, 2010 12:20 pm

Attaboy!! cheers

*Pats Rx on the head as he passes*

It grabs an extra beer or it gets the hose again... Twisted Evil

*runs*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: I post new threads b/c I roll like that   Sun May 09, 2010 2:17 pm

I don't mind your being a nudist. However, the incessant bragging about it can, at times, be offputting. Especially in light of your Abba debacle.

It's official. Rxforwar admits having a moob fetish.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rxforwar
Seventh Nation

PostSubject: Re: I post new threads b/c I roll like that   Sun May 09, 2010 3:56 pm

It's official. Rxforwar admits having a moob fetish.
Pfffff... boobs are boobs are moobs, as I see it.
You don't like me staring? Put some clothes on, ya hippie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: I post new threads b/c I roll like that   Mon May 10, 2010 6:27 am

I'd wait till they all burn out. Assure Lisa I will replace them when they all burn out. Hold the chair for Lisa as she changes the bulbs.

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: I post new threads b/c I roll like that   Mon May 10, 2010 6:32 am

You don't like me staring? Put some clothes on, ya hippie.

Who said I didn't like you staring?

*** strikes pose ***
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Insom
Eighth Nation

Nation Reputation : 29

PostSubject: Re: I post new threads b/c I roll like that   Mon May 10, 2010 6:50 am

As a ninja, why the hell do you need light anyway?

Oh right, wife = human, bit of a contradiction there since they are all bonkers way beyond a human level of tolerance.

*presents exhibit A: Sayber*

Anyway. I think the answer to this problem is obviously stilts. Think about it, you get all the advantages of being a tall guy, reaching the top shelf to get those filthy magazines you elf people love so much, you get yourself out of the wife's accurate throwing arc, and of course, you can see that naughty naked moose hippie without having to cling onto the fence.

Seriously though, change all the light bulbs at once, that way she's not going to bitch the next time one goes out with the "I thought you fixed that" speech.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I post new threads b/c I roll like that   

Back to top Go down

I post new threads b/c I roll like that

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Entertainment :: Random Chat-
Jump to: