The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

Something I feel strongly about.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
iRideAPalmer
Seventh Nation

Nation Reputation : 37

PostSubject: Something I feel strongly about.   Sat May 22, 2010 12:20 pm

I thought I would do my part today in teaching everybody hear about a disorder or whatever you want to call it in kittens. It is very common.

CEREBELLAR HYPOPLASIA aka Spastic cats

Thousands of cats are euthanized every year because of this. The cat technically doesn't have that much of a problem. It just has a under-developed brain in the part that is in charge of movement. In other words the cat will walk funny all of its life. It does not have a disease. It does not have behavioral issues. In fact, a good owner should know any behavioral issues an animal has should have been corrected or could be corrected with reinforcement techniques and not punishment. The kitten ends up with CH or cerebellar hypoplasia if it's mother has a disease during pregnancy such as Feline Distemper or FIV or FIP. The animal may also get it if born prematurely or if it ends up in some sort of accident where it hurts its head. See why it's so common?

Today I walked into the clinic to pick up some frontline for my animals at school. And there was an owner trying to get us to euthanize 9 kittens that have CH. The only students allowed in the clinic area are Veterinary Technology students. So, obviously we did not want to euthanized we did, however offer to take the kittens and find them homes. Of course I got suckered into taking home one of them. So I now have 3 cats. Tiger, Roza, and my little guy that I have yet to name. Typically in situations like these all of the kittens would not have survived they do not have the immune system to handle it. It is a miracle that 9 kittens survived and were not stillborns or anything like that.

There are 3 degrees to the movement issues these animals have. Mild, Moderate, and Severe. There is no way to tell at this young an age how severe it will be in a particular cat. These cats just walk funny, and have poor coordination.
This video is the best explanation ever

The only special care they may require is that they are sectioned to only one level of the house or live in a one leveled house or a trailer. This is so they do not get left in an area without a litter box and unable to get to their litter box, food, or water because of stairs they have trouble with using. At my house this is no problem because having 3 cats I have one litter box per cat. One in the basement, one in my room, and one in the laundry room. I am keeping him in the basement for now and sectioned off from the dogs and cats because I don't know how they will react towards him when I am not home.

Another issue is THEY NEED TO BE INDOOR CATS ONLY!!!! because of their poor motor skills they can't fight as well as other cats or run as fast. The neighborhood dogs or cats would eat them alive.

If you have any questions just ask or if you have any comments go right ahead. My reason for this thread is just to inform you of these cats. I honestly think they are the cutest cats in the world.
Here is another vid to prove it.

these two have moderate to severe CH
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 167

PostSubject: Re: Something I feel strongly about.   Sat May 22, 2010 7:20 pm

Very interesting Palmer.

I never even knew this existed.

It's a little ironic.
Cats are usually known for great reflexes.
Its a bit odd seeing some walking around like the scarecrow from the wizard of oz.

You should name him Scarecrow. Smile

What do these stand for btw?

FIV or FIP
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Charlie
Seventh Nation

Nation Reputation : 29

PostSubject: Re: Something I feel strongly about.   Sat May 22, 2010 7:30 pm

This reminds me of a rabbit I had that died just last year. It had a tendancy to hop to the left, and would occasionally (as in every few minutes) fall over onto it's back, and it would have a hard time getting back up unless we helped it out. I would've felt horrible if we had the little guy euthanized. After all, he lead a normal rabbit life. He just fell over a lot I love you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iRideAPalmer
Seventh Nation

PostSubject: Re: Something I feel strongly about.   Sat May 22, 2010 7:47 pm

SixHousePull wrote:
Very interesting Palmer.

I never even knew this existed.

It's a little ironic.
Cats are usually known for great reflexes.
Its a bit odd seeing some walking around like the scarecrow from the wizard of oz.

You should name him Scarecrow. Smile

What do these stand for btw?

FIV or FIP
FIV is basically HIV in cats aka Feline Immunodeficiency Virus and FIP is Feline Infectious Peritonitis
We named him Caliber. Well actually I didn't name him. Jeremiah did because he fell in love with the kitty.
So now Caliber is Jeremiah's cat which means I haven't reached my limit of 5 animals yet Very Happy= :D I get to adopt my primary from school then if he gets along with Toby and Dearg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SparklyBazongaz,
11th Nation

PostSubject: Re: Something I feel strongly about.   Sun May 23, 2010 12:15 am

They are so adorable and cuuutee ^.^
Im my eyes, cats ar sill cats... no matter what has happend to them.. they are all equal.. and super adorable ^.^ I love you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iRideAPalmer
Seventh Nation

PostSubject: Re: Something I feel strongly about.   Mon May 31, 2010 12:32 am

Today Caliber walked up the stairs for the first time. It took him 45 minutes but he did it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Something I feel strongly about.   

Back to top Go down

Something I feel strongly about.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Entertainment :: Random Chat-
Jump to: