The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Vrals597
Seventh Nation

Nation Reputation : -15

PostSubject: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Thu May 27, 2010 7:10 am

With the World Cup in South Africa just 2 weeks away I thought I would open up this thread for all of you Soccer/Football lovers here at the nation

All you have to do on this thread is state your team or who you think will be in the final/win the whole thing

Being from the US my natural team would be the US but I do not think we will get far past the group stage. I expect the Czech Republic, Spain, Germany, and Argentina to go pretty far, maybe Brazil as well, now sure who is going to win as of yet but once the games begin it should become much more clear to me who is a big contender for the cup

Last edited by Raistlin on Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:08 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Updating Thread Title)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kratosXS
Sixth Nation

Nation Reputation : 74

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Thu May 27, 2010 7:50 am

I have to say now that my presence on the forum will be a bit light during June and July while the greatest tournament on earth occurs. Ireland, of course aren't taking part, so I will back my actual favourite team, Holland. In the past bad team morale has robbed the Dutch of a chance of winning. When you think of a team that had Marco Van Basten, Ruud Gullit, Frank Rijkaard etc, one wonders why they didn't win more. The Dutch are among the most technically gifted players in the world, and are able to combine their abilities in a team setup. Brazil are technically brilliant, but their defensive qualities have been suspect at times. If they can get their defence right, they will be there or there abouts again.

Currently the most exciting teams are Spain and Argentina. I would love a final between those two. A final that would pit Cesc Fabregas, Fernando Torres, Xavi, etc against Lionel Messi and Higuain would certainly be worthy of such a showcase event.

Of course it all depends on who wins each group and who finishes runners up. It will become more clear after the first round of matches is complete. But going on available talent and form, you would be expecting England, Spain, and Argentina to make the Semis. Then there is always one team that acts as a dark horse and progresses farther than they should. Unfortunately, for my English neighbours, I can't actually see them winning the tournament. I definitely think they can get to the Semis, but there are at least two teams better in the tournament. Germany and Italy can't be discounted either, as they have proven in the past that no matter how bad they are, they have the big game mentality. So they could be there also.

Holland will not win, even though with Robin van Persie and Wesley Sneijder they have genuine match winners. So, if my habitual favourite team will not win, who would I like to win. I wont stay on the fence, and will say now that I would love Spain to win. They are the current European Champions, they haven't gotten worse since winning the Euros. Thet strolled through the qualifiers, and have ability all over the team. The one area they are supect is again defence. It would also be their first World Cup title, and it's always nice to get a new team to win. They have always under performed at World Cups, though. But this time they are Euro Champions, and they have big players that won't be phased by the occasion.

So my dream final would be Spain v Argentina, with Spain to win by the odd goal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vrals597
Seventh Nation

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Thu May 27, 2010 11:35 am

Ireland should be in instead of France, that hand ball was a total douche move, I remember watching the final for Euro 2008, there was a guy from Germany in the room and one of the adults says that Spain deserves to win and the guy from Germany said, "no they don't" it was pretty funny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation

Nation Reputation : 100

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Thu May 27, 2010 1:30 pm

Shakira made the official song for the Cup.

It will not get out of my head. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vrals597
Seventh Nation

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Thu May 27, 2010 2:05 pm

Stellazira wrote:
Shakira made the official song for the Cup.

It will not get out of my head. Embarassed

Yeah.....she needs to go retire!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Thu May 27, 2010 2:07 pm

Why do you say that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vrals597
Seventh Nation

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Thu May 27, 2010 2:15 pm

because I HATE almost everyone who is a popular musician, I am a metal guy what do you expect?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Charlitos
Seventh Nation

Nation Reputation : 19

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Thu May 27, 2010 2:17 pm

I don't know who will win. It is always a surprising tounament, but it usually comes down to the big boys. England, France, Brazil, Germany, Portugal...
The atmosphere always has an amazing structure, and it is fun to watch even if you don't like soccer cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Thu May 27, 2010 2:21 pm

Vrals wrote:
because I HATE almost everyone who is a popular musician, I am a metal guy what do you expect?

There are good "popular" musicians out there. I don't like a lot of North American music and I'm not a heavy-metal fan, but I don't go wandering about saying how they're bad musicians. It's a matter of taste and not everyone's will be the same. It is important to be mindful of other people's tastes before you go around saying things. I happen to like some of Shakira's songs, but she's not the only person I like.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vrals597
Seventh Nation

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Thu May 27, 2010 2:34 pm

Yeah, some of my friends think I'm that my music is serial killer music, my brother literally RUINED Rihana for me, him and his blasted singing!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Porky
Seventh Nation

Nation Reputation : 31

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:25 pm

COME ON ENGLAND cheers bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Toxxy
Ninth Nation

Nation Reputation : 23

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:54 pm

Porky wrote:
COME ON ENGLAND cheers bounce
Shocked facepalm2 Guns firing Very Happy= :D Razz No
You really want Rooney to be a world champion!???
think of the scaring for futur generations...
Laughing
France played perfectly badly tonight.. just as expected
after getting beaten by CHINA.. last week in friendly...
Shocked
go france!
you are on the right road!
out of a world cup where you had no right to be in the first place!
Evil or Very Mad
oh & GO America tommorow
that is all
Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 111

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:56 pm

Go England!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Porky
Seventh Nation

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:59 pm

cheers yay go eatty.

COME ON ENGLAAAAAAND!! 3 Lions on a shirt....
cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eve
Eighth Nation

Nation Reputation : 26

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:00 pm

South Africa

yay!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:01 pm

Porky wrote:
cheers yay go eatty.

COME ON ENGLAAAAAAND!! 3 Lions on a shirt....
cheers

Jules Rimet's still gleaming...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Porky
Seventh Nation

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:03 pm

30 Years of hurt
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:04 pm

44 now though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Porky
Seventh Nation

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:05 pm

yeah I know, but doesn't quite sound right, or does it? Thinking

IT'S COMING HOME, IT'S COMING HOME!!!! bounce

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

ENGLAND! Kiss
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Insom
Eighth Nation

Nation Reputation : 29

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:29 am

I'd love to see Spain win the whole thing, unfortunately I do think they'll bottle it in the later stages, if they can dodge Brazil coming out of the group stage. First knockout round if they meet Brazil, if not, semi-final at least.

A lot of people are hyping Argentina but again I think while they have the likes of Messi, one man doesn't win a World Cup. Quarter or semi-final.

England definitely have the potential, but unfortunately there is an expectancy, particularly among the British media, that cannot be met by anyone. Player for player, England are miles ahead of the pack, but if Capello doesn't field a unit instead of 11 spectacular individuals, I can see them going home from the quarter finals.

Brazil struggled to qualify, I doubt they'll hold up under the pressure that is always there for them to light up the competition. First knockout or quarter final.

Germany, though not necessarily exciting, have a solid team, I could definitely see them getting to the semi-final if not further.

Italy, defending champions but I feel are past their sell-by on the world stage, quarter final exit.

France, attitude in Ireland is that they should win so that we can say we rightfully deserved the seat they occupy. Team quality is down on past years (see: Zinedine Zidane/God Almighty), team morale must be low as I can't imagine there is a great amount of national pride in the way the French qualified, particularly in that Mr Henry did not even start last night's game.

The dark horse for this tournament is most definitely Portugal, with a tough group including Brazil and Ivory Coast, they could be on the first flights back to Lisbon. However, I am willing to bet that should they get out of their group and avoid Spain in the second round, they could make it to the semi-final or perhaps even go all the way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kratosXS
Sixth Nation

Nation Reputation : 74

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:31 am

That's what ye say every four years. Ye must be getting a bit tired of saying the same old thing.

I think England will get to the semis, though. But in the interest of good football, I hope ye don't win the tournament. If we want an exciting final, with a class team wining it, then Spain have got to be the team. From midfield up to the strikers is filled with world class players, who make it a joy to watch the game. They also have two world class goalkeepers, while England don't even know who they want to start in goal against USA.

What we don't want is a cynical final like 1990 where Germany won on a penalty, but the match was very poor. We want an open entertaining final that shows off football as the greatest sport on earth. That's why I want Spain to win.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vrals597
Seventh Nation

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:42 am

I think a good final would be Spain/Argentina or a Euro 2008 final rematch, my idea of a good soccer game is a no score game after full time but with lots of amazing good plays by both teams and have the game be decided in PK, its just so tense throughout the entire world and as far as I am concerned that makes the best games
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SparklyBazongaz,
11th Nation

Nation Reputation : 37

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:38 am

Im going for whoever wins.. Laughing

oh and Italy..Cool

Kiss
Back to top Go down
View user profile
omega9
Ninth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:55 am

Erm...USA?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Insom
Eighth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:58 am

Brave omega, I'd say they'll see the second round.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   

Back to top Go down

Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Entertainment :: Random Chat-
Jump to: