The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Vrals597
Seventh Nation

Nation Reputation : -15

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:17 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I don't know enough about World soccer to know if this is an accurate statement but English soccer reminds me of USA basketball. For many International events the USA would put a team out there that clearly had more talent than anybody else. Yet, they would get beat because they were a group of great individual talent but completely lacked chemistry. Also, stars were selected when there were a lot better choices out there that fit the team concept and fit better into international basketball.

I got that same feeling watching England today. I could tell that most of their individual talent was much better than the USAs. However, the US team seemed to play more as a team to try to cover up that talent gap.

Same thing with our hockey team before 1980, we put NHL all-stars who were great by themselves but did not play so well together against a Soviet team that had played together for 10-15 years and were considered to be the best team at the time, then the college kids came along and played great together as a team and beat them in Lake Placid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Insom
Eighth Nation

Nation Reputation : 29

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:18 pm

One man never won a football game, eleven men don't win a football game, one team does.

Gerrard and Lampard are way too similar to play in the centre together.

Sure the US had a flukey goal, but had England fulfilled the potential they actually do have, combined with the flying start, America would have been done by half time.

Been a long time since I've seen the Three Lions play that badly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vrals597
Seventh Nation

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:11 pm

No surprise that Ghana won, from the little I watched it looked as if Ghana's team was running rings around Serbia's team
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:37 am

COME ON FRANCE!
oh... wait
*runs*

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vrals597
Seventh Nation

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:45 am

Lmao O'Rly wrote:
COME ON FRANCE!
oh... wait
*runs*

Lol, angry mob the French!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reo
Sixth Nation

Nation Reputation : 41

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:40 pm

No surprise that Ghana won, from the little I watched it looked as if Ghana's team was running rings around Serbia's team

I blame that on Antic.
Having a guy named Zigic in the box and NOT using Krasic & Jovanovic better (more crosses and free roles) is just....bad coaching.

Could have ended either way though, Zigic missed practically open goal and Krasic had a good chance aswell.
Nice to see Switzerland beating Spain and putting an end to their streak, Inler was defo MoM.

Should be interesting to see France in their next one, Mexico is far better than some seems to think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Insom
Eighth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:47 pm

Real pity the way SA vs Uruguay finished with the South African keeper being sent off. Basically puts them out of the tournament, while it was a foul, the Uruguay player did do a little bit of acting in his reaction to what was only a very slight touch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vrals597
Seventh Nation

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:00 pm

Reonista wrote:

I blame that on Antic.
Having a guy named Zigic in the box and NOT using Krasic & Jovanovic better (more crosses and free roles) is just....bad coaching.

Could have ended either way though, Zigic missed practically open goal and Krasic had a good chance aswell.
Nice to see Switzerland beating Spain and putting an end to their streak, Inler was defo MoM.

Should be interesting to see France in their next one, Mexico is far better than some seems to think.

My school cafeteria was a bar during that game, without the booze of course, and I was one of only four people supporting the Suisse, everybody else was Espana all the way, go Switzerland!, Go Argentina!, Go Germany!, Go USA! lol I have like three backups for my team
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kratosXS
Sixth Nation

Nation Reputation : 74

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:12 pm

Well the first round of matches are complete, and I have to say the performances to this stage have been underwhelming. The goal fest organisers were hoping for didn't materialise. England were disappointing, but I fully expect them to pick up the pace from now on and reach the semis. A major improvement is vital, though. France just looked like they couldn't care less, and are all but finished. There are deep problems in the French morale, and Laurent Blanc has a major job on his hands if he is going to bring back the glory days of Zizou Zidane et al. Mexico once again proved that they are an underrated team. My beloved Dutch had a convincing performance against Denmark, and with Arjen Robben coming back into the fray, another attacking option will be available.

The outstanding teams of the finals so far have been Spain, Argentina and Germany. Argentina are no surprise, as they have players that can turn a game in an instant. Better again they proved they are not one dimensional, and Messi has been creating goals rather than scoring. His performances have been top drawer. Little wonder he is World Player of the Year. Germany were a pleasant surprise, and rather than being their usual efficient self, played some good football as well. They are going to figure in the last few days of the tournament.

My pre-tournament favourites, Spain were let down once again by their famous suspect defence. How a team can dominate a game as they did and get nothing is amazing. If only Alonso's exceptional shot had been a fraction lower, things could have been so much different. On a performance level, Spain were awesome. Only Germany and Argentina played as well as them. Spain had all the possession, and their passing was a joy to watch. I didn't see anything to suggest they still can't contest the final. As long as the defence doesn't leak silly goals like they did against the Swiss, they should go all the way. I sincerely hope Spain can win. Their skill and ability deserves success. They have a few days now to get Torres back to match fitness, and this will make all the difference. If not Spain, then Holland. The World Cup should be won by a team that is exciting to watch, with technically gifted players.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
omega9
Ninth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:27 pm

The U.S. got screwed. -.-
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:49 am

RatchetH22 wrote:
The U.S. got screwed. -.-

I agree. I still can't believe it. Neutral

Now you know how Europe feels.

Oh wait ye mean football or "Soccer".

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hoos
Fifth Nation

Nation Reputation : 37

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:47 am

Enjoy the World Cup experience without having to be there!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Insom
Eighth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:08 am

The USA can still make it through with a win over Algeria, shouldn't be too much trouble.

Just ask England, Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 111

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:49 pm

I see England still insist on playing that idiotically pointless tactic of punting the ball from backfield all the way up to the front just in case one of the attackers (surrounded by eight defenders) can stop it, turn it, and slot it into the net. Honestly, they've been doing it for years and I don't know how manager after manager fails to make them stop it. I think the next England player who does that should just be put on a plane and sent home. STOOOOPID, STOOOOOPID STOOOOPID. I mean, how could we NOT beat USA and Algeria, for crying out loud? Then Rooney gets all upset and cross because the England fans booed the team! "You can't boo me, I'm Wayne Rooney!". Continue to fumble the ball like that Wayne and you'd better get used to your new 'cheer'.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Insom
Eighth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:47 am

I see England still insist on playing that idiotically pointless tactic of punting the ball from backfield all the way up to the front just in case one of the attackers (surrounded by eight defenders) can stop it, turn it, and slot it into the net. Honestly, they've been doing it for years and I don't know how manager after manager fails to make them stop it. I think the next England player who does that should just be put on a plane and sent home. STOOOOPID, STOOOOOPID STOOOOPID. I mean, how could we NOT beat USA and Algeria, for crying out loud? Then Rooney gets all upset and cross because the England fans booed the team! "You can't boo me, I'm Wayne Rooney!". Continue to fumble the ball like that Wayne and you'd better get used to your new 'cheer'.

It's called route one football, the ugly little sister of the beautiful game.

Englands problem, big names, big pay packets, little pride.

I don't care if your name is Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Rooney, Cole, or whoever the hell it may be, if Joe Soap (Agbonglahor, Dawson, Joe Cole) has enough pride in himself, his nation and his dear old mum and dad to play for the Three Lions rather than the Kitten Triplets, then he should be the one on that pitch.

With players of England's quality, they should be all over the history books, not Britain and Ireland's second rate tabloids.

I honestly don't know which is more entertaining, the four-year-hype of ending the heartache since '66, and then watching you go home to someone whose been a little more humble about their vastly superior team spirit making up for the fact that bugger all of them have household (if even pronouncable) names.

Or the fact that if you played lads on performance rather than pay packet how you'd have your name engraved on the World Cup if you were 5-0 down after 80 minutes in the final.

England is without doubt the home of football. Club football.

If they put the no guts no glory attitude of the Premier League into their international games, we'd be saying Brazil who?

I stand to win 200 quid if Portugal can win the tournament, after a 7-0 demolition of North Korea, I'm thinking only the person who got Argentina has a bigger smile than me right now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-Dj-
Seventh Nation

Nation Reputation : -1

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:45 am

Portugal 7 North Korea 0 Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:46 am

insomniac14 wrote:

little pride.

I don't care if your name is Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Rooney, Cole, or whoever the hell it may be, if Joe Soap (Agbonglahor, Dawson, Joe Cole) has enough pride in himself, his nation and his dear old mum and dad to play for the Three Lions rather than the Kitten Triplets, then he should be the one on that pitch.

With players of England's quality, they should be all over the history books, not Britain and Ireland's second rate tabloids.

England is without doubt the home of football. Club football.

If they put the no guts no glory attitude of the Premier League into their international games, we'd be saying Brazil who?

That's what I'm beginning to think; that the players place more importance in their performance for their home club (that pays their salary) then their performance for their country. It's like they just don't care.

Anyone else put off by that awful drone that accompanies every match (and I don't mean the commentators)?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kratosXS
Sixth Nation

Nation Reputation : 74

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:53 am

cheers yay go eatty.

COME ON ENGLAAAAAAND!! 3 Lions on a shirt....
cheers

I don't hear the three lions roaring much of late. It's been more like three pussycats. In fact here's the design for their new badge.

Spoiler:

While here's the line up Capello's reportedly going with for the important game against Slovenia. Good to see them trying to chill before the game. It's important not to let the media or fans put pressure on you.

Spoiler:

Yes there are eleven.

It looks as though the only way football's going home is if they win the bid to host it.

Sorry, to my English friends. It's just a bit of harmless banter.

As for the vuvuzelas, eat. I know it's bad, but I found it worse during last years Confederations Cup. I swore last year I wouldn't be able to watch the World Cup. To me it was worse last year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:06 am

The vuvu whats?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
omega9
Ninth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:55 pm

You know how every single game sounds like a swarm of bees as big as the oil spill that BP gave us is about to descend upon the stadium and devour all? Thats the *** RWoTD: sounds like a demented swarm of bees ***.

Also, fingers crossed for U.S. tommorrow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hoos
Fifth Nation

Nation Reputation : 37

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:55 am

The ending of the US game was insane!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 203

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:11 am

You know how every single game sounds like a swarm of bees as big as the oil spill that BP gave us is about to descend upon the stadium and devour all? Thats the *** RWoTD: sounds like a demented swarm of bees ***.

lol
Looks like you have the RWotD in amusing fashion, Omega. Go claim it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
omega9
Ninth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:53 pm

WE GOT THROUGH!!! CELEBRATORY STREAKING IS A GO!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 203

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:05 pm

*looks up from current game*
Hmm? Got through what?
*checks thread title*
Oh.
*goes back to being an American*

Razz

Back to top Go down
View user profile
omega9
Ninth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:05 pm

*piegrumblegrumblejazz* Stoopid American.... *GrumbleNFLcheeseburgergrumble*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   

Back to top Go down

Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Entertainment :: Random Chat-
Jump to: