The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
omega9
Ninth Nation

Nation Reputation : 29

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:53 pm

WE GOT THROUGH!!! CELEBRATORY STREAKING IS A GO!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 203

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:05 pm

*looks up from current game*
Hmm? Got through what?
*checks thread title*
Oh.
*goes back to being an American*

Razz

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
omega9
Ninth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:05 pm

*piegrumblegrumblejazz* Stoopid American.... *GrumbleNFLcheeseburgergrumble*
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:16 am

US versus Ghana later today...I'm hoping the USA can pull off the win. Cool
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 111

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:20 am

RatchetH22 wrote:
US versus Ghana later today...I'm hoping the USA can pull off the win. Cool

And then be accused of opressing a poor African nation, so few of which made it into the world cup anyway. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
omega9
Ninth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:59 pm

Sad face.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:08 pm

Well, at least you've contributed to a a great sense of African hope.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
omega9
Ninth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:19 pm

Which gets to be crushed by someone else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Insom
Eighth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:33 pm

Possibly, the excitement of the tournament is teams like Slovakia beating Italy out of the tournament, England and USA qualifying last minute.

Anything can happen.

Except Nicolas Anelka smiling. Never ever gonna see the day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-Dj-
Seventh Nation

Nation Reputation : -1

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:34 pm

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
eve
Eighth Nation

Nation Reputation : 26

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:00 pm

That looks pretty awesome! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:33 am

Looks like German y (the team I chose to win it all) is doing pretty well against England right now. Do you guys thing England can come back from the 0-2 deficit?

*Edit: Make that 1-2 deficit. Plus, England just got completely robbed of a goal.
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:21 am

If the U.S. can do it, why can't England?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 82

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:24 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

This referee is sh*t, that was a goal.
And now they score again... gosh... can't they run?

Sad

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:27 am

@Seyel wrote:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

This referee is sh*t, that was a goal.
And now they score again... gosh... can't they run?

Sad

4-1 now. Hard to believe it to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:35 am

Evil or Very Mad

I cancelled an appointment today in order to watch this match... for this... gosh...even if they had allowed that goal by Lampard we would be now 4-2.. not that much of a difference now...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:39 am

@Seyel wrote:
Evil or Very Mad

I cancelled an appointment today in order to watch this match... for this... gosh...even if they had allowed that goal by Lampard we would be now 4-2.. not that much of a difference now...

If that goal had been counted, and it definitely should have, I imagine this game would be very different. England probably would have gotten confident, and they probably would be either tied right about now or even leading. Instead, Germ4ny kept their momemntum going and now are poised to advance.
Back to top Go down
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:03 am

Sad

We lost

Tantrum

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Insom
Eighth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:41 pm

I won't say this often.

England were robbed. Had they levelled at 2-2 I think their experience would have outweighed *** RWoTD: a country reliant on penalty shoot-outs... ***'s youth and enthusiasm.

The standard of refereeing at this tournament has been dreadful. Absolutely abysmal, game changing decisions made by the referee.

Lampard and Gerrard were unlucky with a couple of efforts from play and set pieces that could have seen a more effective fightback had they gone in.

Maybe now FIFA will have a look at installing a video refereeing system, there is no reason not to have it seeing the effect it has on discipline in rugby. Would cut out diving, cheap shots, deliberate handballs and grave officiating errors which have cost England, Ireland, and a number of other nations getting a very sour taste in regards to this World Cup.

Defensively, I was disappointed in England but I can understand the loss of morale from being cheated out of a goal. *** RWoTD: a country reliant on penalty shoot-outs... *** were very quick on the break and England were caught with their pants down, especially with the first and third goals.

Comiserations to the English members of this forum, your lads haven't shown there potential in the slightest at this World Cup.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:47 pm

England weren't robbed. They played abysmally before the disallowed goal and played abysmally after it. They had about 5 minutes where they played well. The Germans should have won that match about 7-2. My national team played like a bunch of idiots and deserved to lose. Yes, the referee was crap too, but he was one of 11 crap people on the field (England's goalie, David James was the exception -- he had a good match).

I'm ashamed at how they played and hope some heads get knocked together. First time since 1938 we didn't make it to the quarter finals. Worst ever loss at a World Cup final. Those two stats say it all there. And for reinforcement, look at the three crappy games in the group stage. Pathetic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
omega9
Ninth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:37 pm

Maybe we'll all have a better showing in 2014.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Insom
Eighth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:48 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
England weren't robbed. They played abysmally before the disallowed goal and played abysmally after it. They had about 5 minutes where they played well. The Germans should have won that match about 7-2. My national team played like a bunch of idiots and deserved to lose. Yes, the *** RWoTD: a blind person who disallows valid goals etc *** was crap too, but he was one of 11 crap people on the field (England's goalie, David James was the exception -- he had a good match).

I'm ashamed at how they played and hope some heads get knocked together. First time since 1938 we didn't make it to the quarter finals. Worst ever loss at a World Cup final. Those two stats say it all there. And for reinforcement, look at the three crappy games in the group stage. Pathetic.

That said a goal can give a team belief and improve the entire performance. Yes the England team completely underperformed at this World Cup but, even so, I feel those five minutes could have been built on had the disallowed goal been correctly allowed.

The Germans had a good day and the English a bad one, yes, I wanted to see England lose, but to lose on fair terms.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kratosXS
Sixth Nation

Nation Reputation : 74

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:21 pm

Yeah eat, I'm glad to see you're not going to blame the disallowed goal, because the gulf in class was evident for everyone to see. Germany were faster to the ball, they had a unity. Ozil is going to challenge Messi to the player of the tournament. England have been hopeless the entire tournament, while the Germans have been one of the best teams. They were absolutely awesome today, and even if it had gone to 2-2, surely the difference in class would have told. The German lads were all together and proud to be playing for their country, while the English were abysmal in every game they played. I hate to say it but they got exactly what they deserved. The German's passing was crisp and a joy to watch, while England couldn't find a teammate for more than two or three passes at a time.

England also looked leaderless on the pitch. No one was willing to take command and push the team on. Gerrard was very poor throughout the four games. One has to think of great leaders of the past like "psycho" Pearce, Bryan Robson etc to see how much they missed a leader on the pitch. Nobody on the England team looked to have any pride in playing for their country, and that is the saddest part. Look at all the millions of English fans who wont ever get the chance to play for England, and these guys have that privilege. They never looked at any stage over the past two weeks like they saw it as a privilege.

I said at the start of the tournament that I thought England weren't as good as they were being made out. But I still fully expected them to get to the semis. But I couldn't have seen how poor they were going to be. They barely made it out of the easiest group, and at no time did they look like it was going to come together.

France, Italy and England have a lot of searching to do after this. France looked like they didn't even care about representing the French people. They were an absolute disgrace. To think that they cheated Ireland out of the chance to perform at the World Cup is disgusting. They get to the World Cup and that is all they can come up with. At least if Ireland had been there, you can be sure the Irish lads would have given 100%.

I was actually hoping that if England were going to lose they would lose by the disallowed goal. Football will never come out of the dark ages and embrace technology until a big team gets eliminated by such a controversy. It's ok for poor little Ireland to have such things happen to them. All you'll have is Messrs. Blatter and Platini laughing at us and making jokes at our expense.

But can you imagine the backlash if England had been knocked out because of that goal. England have the richest league in the world, and FIFA would have had to do something. As it is Platini and that other clown have been left off the hook. The scoreline does show the difference in class, and so the "goal" doesn't seem as big a factor as it could have been.

In the Premier League, CL, and now World Cup we are seeing that the officials aren't up to it. They need help to have the right outcome at every game. Too many hopes, dreams, as well as finances are riding on the outcome of human beings, and if these humans aren't capable of the right decision then it's time to give technology the chance. Football is becoming a joke when game after game is ruined by inept officials. It's time now for FIFA to take the finger out and do the right thing.

I'm very sad for the English people who put all their hopes and money into supporting this team. They were given false hope of a new era once again. Have things improved since the Eriksson era. On these performances you'd have to say they've gone backwards. Blaming a disallowed goal is only covering over the cracks and defficiencies in the team that were going to be exposed at some stage. Germany had a belief and a swagger about them and England were simply not good enough. But this is a trend that has been going on for the past twenty years. England have not performed when it comes to the big stage. England didn't have just one bad day. The past four games were hopeless and you can't expect to win tournaments on the form they showed.

Before the tournament I think it was Inter were looking for Capello to be their manager, and the FA issued a hands off that he was going to manage the national team up to the next World Cup. That showed an arrogance that they were going to do well. Now there's talk of him getting a golden handshake. England tend to have unrealistic expectations of winning each world cup. Expectations that are unfounded given their record in the past twenty years. For them to move forward they need to become a little bit more realistic, and figure out that there are many teams that are better. They do not have a God given right to win just because they gave the game to the world.

Last edited by kratosXS on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Nice post, Kratos.

England were not a team, they were 11 individuals. The defence was apalling. Insom, if Ireland had been in and not England I would have been cheering Ireland on. Shame it doesn't always work both ways. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Insom
Eighth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:42 pm

Little bit of Londoner in me always wants to see England do well.

But when they underperform and talk themselves up, and play as individuals, rather than representatives of a nation with such a rich history on and off the various sporting fields, they will not have my backing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)   

Back to top Go down

Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread (All Others Will Be Locked)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Entertainment :: Random Chat-
Jump to: