The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

ARG, anyone?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 82

PostSubject: ARG, anyone?    Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:54 pm

ARG= Alternate Reality Game. It usually is a game that last for some weeks and that involves hunting and resolving hidden clues.

Some ARG trail (that is, something that can be an ARG but has not been confirmed yet) appeared on YouTube today. We still do not know if it is something worthy or not (as with any other ARG). For what I see, it might be YouTube based, so clues will be delivered through YouTube videos. I think this one might be something about Lovecraft, as there are some clues in there already. I might be following this one, and maybe another one on Virginia Wolf/Charlotte Bronte that started on the 4th. As with any other ARG, what you get is always a mystery, it might be a goody bag, it might be just the satisfaction of having solved the mystery. If you are interested, please let me know, we are following it at Unfiction but I would like to discuss it here if anyone else would play it.

This is the video:

Yeah, weird, I know. The last line (what the voice says) is a quote from Lovecraft. The rest of the things might be clues, I think in the second 33 there are 3 heads on stone: a bear, an eagle and a fox/wolf. I am still looking for its meaning, but there is a book from a guy called Neil Gaiman who had all those characters as representations of Viking gods. This author wrote a short story with the titke "I Chutlhu", which would link to Lovecraft. It might be a dead end. Somebody was looking for the meaning of the pyramid at the end. Most of the times, the clues once solved point to some website, where they have more clues and so on until the end. Anyone wants to join? The one on Charlotte Bronte /Virginia Wolf apparently is really good but you have to keep the pace.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
omega9
Ninth Nation

Nation Reputation : 29

PostSubject: Re: ARG, anyone?    Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:10 pm

Looks interesting, I'm game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 203

PostSubject: Re: ARG, anyone?    Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:28 pm

Not certain how much help I'll be, but I'll do what I can. Smile
Couldn't even see the bear. lol

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: ARG, anyone?    Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:03 pm

cheers

These are the ideas that people have thrown after watching the video, I will put the name of the poster in brackets to give credit.

• "Tempus Umbra" means "Time shadows", which is what the title said (TheBruce)
  • The end refers to a quote by Lovecraft: "That is not dead which can eternal lie. / And with strange aeons even death may die." (Hilohello)
  • At 33 seconds, the guy seems to be in between some heads made of stone: an eagle, fox/wolf and a bear. Quick search in Google brought me to a book called "Odd and the Frost Giants" by Neil Gaiman. The plot is about a boy that runs into a fox, a bear and an eagle, who are viking gods that had been transformed into animals.
    This same author has a short story called "I Cthulhu", which can be found at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Might be just a weird coincidence, anyway. (Sey)
  • The shadow figure transforms into a pyramid with an earth globe (Crescent)
  • Umbra is also a name for ghosts of the underground, and the name Umbra is linked to pyramids as an area by the Nile: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (Cortez)

Any idea that could bring some light?
Thinking

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: ARG, anyone?    Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:48 pm

More weird stuff, lol.

There is now an entry that says it is a videoblog from a guy who moved to the countryside as "he was told", he says shadows have not bothered him for a while. He also says this is his first video, so we will have more. It is more like an intro. Not sure how they willl connect both... Thinking

Back to top Go down
View user profile
omega9
Ninth Nation

PostSubject: Re: ARG, anyone?    Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:04 pm

If we're going the whole Love Craftian route, then we're most likely looking at either Yog-Sothoth, Nyarlathotep, Cthulhu, or Tindalos, but you can never be too sure.

Also, another line worth note in Vidlog 1 is "the shadows haven't been bothering me".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Raistlin
Eighth Nation

Nation Reputation : 67

PostSubject: Re: ARG, anyone?    Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:09 pm

Pardon my ignorance but this would be an ARG based on what? Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: ARG, anyone?    Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:26 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Pardon my ignorance but this would be an ARG based on what? Embarassed

Well, most of the times you do not know until you play lol
So no idea. Unless it is a well know company that does the ARG, like 42entertainment, you never know where it goes. I can see Lovecraft theme so far, that is the only thing I know. Thinking

If the question is why we think it is an ARG, is because in the tags for the videos you have "ARG", "Alternate", "Reality", "Game"...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Raistlin
Eighth Nation

Nation Reputation : 67

PostSubject: Re: ARG, anyone?    Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:42 pm

Ah, cool. Thanks for the heads up
Back to top Go down
View user profile
omega9
Ninth Nation

PostSubject: Re: ARG, anyone?    Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:13 pm

This passage may be relevant, and why I think Nyarlathotep (Lovecraftian old god in the Cthulhu mythos) might be involved in the ARG.

Quote :
And it was then that Nyarlathotep came out of Egypt. Who he was, none could tell, but he was of the old native blood and looked like a Pharaoh. The fellahin knelt when they saw him, yet could not say why. He said he had risen up out of the blackness of twenty-seven centuries, and that he had heard messages from places not on this planet. Into the lands of civilisation came Nyarlathotep, swarthy, slender, and sinister, always buying strange instruments of glass and metal and combining them into instruments yet stranger. He spoke much of the sciences - of electricity and psychology - and gave exhibitions of power which sent his spectators away speechless, yet which swelled his fame to exceeding magnitude. Men advised one another to see Nyarlathotep, and shuddered. And where Nyarlathotep went, rest vanished; for the small hours were rent with the screams of a nightmare.
—H. P. Lovecraft, Nyarlathotep

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: ARG, anyone?    Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:10 pm

Thinking It does fit with the character.

I am not sure if you had viewed the vid here or in the YouTube page, his comment to the vid in the YT page is:

Quote :
"Things are starting to settle down now, I think. I've taken the advice and started to keep a record to mark the days.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] "

I am going to send an email now bounce

EDIT: I've just sent it. Subject: Tempus Umbra, body: Nyarlathotep ?

bounce Let's see

EDIT 2:

His comment for the username is:

Quote :

"Sometimes the shadows take on a life of their own
That which was, that which is, and that which will be "

Back to top Go down
View user profile
omega9
Ninth Nation

PostSubject: Re: ARG, anyone?    Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:26 pm

So "shadows" and time are both big themes in the game.

I think we'll need more info before we'll really be able to start solving this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: ARG, anyone?    Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:19 pm

Yep. I created a Youtube account just so I could subscribe and get the updates lol
I am thinking that normally these things link to a website and then they give clues in both sides. I tried looking for a website with "Baldwyn" in the name with no luck. I guess that the email will give some clue. I will let you know if I get a reply. Excited

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: ARG, anyone?    Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:30 pm

Maybe nothing, but I figure I'll point it out anyway.
His hat says Los Angeles on it.
Is there any Lovecraft work regarding Angels? Fallen Angels?
I confess, I don't much care for Lovecraft's work. I believe I mentioned that once a long while back in that thread with the short story Sey posted.
Unless we can find an area in which I'm a bit more grounded, then I'll just have to stick to playing Captain Obvious and pointing out little things. Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: ARG, anyone?    Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:04 pm

Double Post

Just putting this here just in case we need it.
Spoiler:

And here's a link straight to the Unifiction page about this:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
View user profile
omega9
Ninth Nation

PostSubject: Re: ARG, anyone?    Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:55 am

Heh, we have more than Unfiction. tongue

WE SHALL SOLVE FIRST!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: ARG, anyone?    Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:00 am

Lol

The guy did not reply to me yet, but replied to Cortez in UF:

Quote :

Thanks for writing! It is actually great to hear from people. Since I've moved out to the country here the calm is really nice but it also gets lonely at times. I don't really know anyone here yet but I hope to meet some people eventually.

Anyway...others have asked about the first two videos that show up on my channel on Youtube. The sad truth is that I have no idea where they came from. I still have gaps in the things I remember, but it is getting better. And sometimes I remember things that didn't happen, or at least that didn't happen for me. That's what they tell me anyway - that they were not real. That's part of why I moved out here in the middle of nowhere - just to get away from the crush of the city. I should probably talk about that a bit on my next blog.

I have no idea why I wear an LA cap. No, this time I don't mean that I don't remember it, I just have no particular reason. I was in LA on business last year and it was very sunny and I forgot to bring a cap so I bought one there. It seemed appropriate to buy one that said LA, and I've just worn it ever since. No reason. I've visited LA several times. It has it's nice spots but it's very different from New York and I don't think I'd want to live there. I think it's also one of the few places that make New York traffic seem mild by comparison. 10 lane highways with traffic jams at 10:00? And they say New Yorkers are crazy? BTW - I've been to London several times and love it there. Haven't seen much of the rest of the country but had a great time in the city there.

Glad you like my glasses - some people think they are "retro" and some just tell me they look dorky. But I like them!

So he dismisses the cap as something important, but he keeps saying about his memory gaps... scratch

Back to top Go down
View user profile
omega9
Ninth Nation

PostSubject: Re: ARG, anyone?    Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:11 pm

Memory gaps, and he all but confirms that he's from New York. The North East part of the U.S. is where many of Lovecrafts stories take place, so that might be relevant.

And yeah, the memory gaps are undoubtedly important.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: ARG, anyone?    Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:03 pm

There's another vid on YT about this. Very short, and came out before the other.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Description just says 'it's coming'. Is tagged with Alternate Reality Game and such.

Found it yesterday, but didn't remember it until I read the message up there.
He mentions '10 lane highways with traffic jams at 10:00'. Just caught my eye because it's another instance of the number 10 being used. They picked out that date to release the first video , so I thought it might be important.
Maybe not.
Shrug

Also, he claims to have been in LA on business. Might be vaguely hinting at his career.
Several trips to London too.
Any connection in the Lovecraft stories to either location?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: ARG, anyone?    Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:34 pm

Thinking His surname, Baldwyn, is also a city around Mississipi.

There is a Lovecraft's tale with title The Shadow Out of Time, here. From wikipedia:

Quote :
tells of the Great Race of Yith, an extraterrestrial species with the ability to travel through space and time. The Yithians accomplish this by switching bodies with hosts from the intended spatial or temporal destination. The story implies that the effect when seen from the outside is similar to spiritual possession. It is never revealed what they really look like. Their cone-shaped bodies they used on earth belonged to a species from a parallel line of life that had evolved alongside with other forms on the planet

Quote :
Ultimately the Yithians use their ability to escape the destruction of their planet in another galaxy by switching bodies with a race of cone-shaped cephalopod beings who lived 250 million years ago on Earth. The cone-shaped entities (now also known as the Great Race of Yith) lived in their vast library city in what would later become Australia's Great Sandy Desert

Also, in the story, the protagonist (who has also memory gaps from when he is "abducted"), says that:

Quote :

In 1909 I spent a month in the Himalayas, and in 1911 roused much attention through a camel trip into the unknown deserts of Arabia. What happened on those journeys I have never been able to learn.

So in 1910 (there would be a 10.10.10 too) he was apparently lost in the dessert and he cannot remember what happened.

He continues:
Quote :

There is tangible proof - in the form of marginal notes - that I went minutely through such things as the Comte d'Erlette's Cultes des Goules, Ludvig Prinn's De Vermis Mysteriis, the Unaussprechlichen Kulten of von Junzt, the surviving fragments of the puzzling Book of Eibon, and the dreaded Necronomicon of the mad Arab Abdul Alhazred. Then, too, it is undeniable that a fresh and evil wave of underground cult activity set in about the time of my odd mutation.
The quote in the video appeared twice in Lovecraft's stories. First, in one of his earliest stories, The nameless city, and then later in Myths of Cthulhu, said by Abdul Alhazred, also called the Mad Arab or the monk, who is the writer of the Necronomicon. In The nameless city is about an ancient ruin buried in the desert and inhabited by a weird species of reptile. In the story, the narrator says that this city was the one the Mad Arab dreamt of when he said that quote. .

I saw that vid too Cobalt, I think it was just the intro, have you found anything on it?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
omega9
Ninth Nation

PostSubject: Re: ARG, anyone?    Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:43 pm

Great finds guys. Add "10" and references to the Yith to the list of things to watch for the ARG.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: ARG, anyone?    Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:19 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I saw that vid too Cobalt, I think it was just the intro, have you found anything on it?
Nothing really. Only thing I picked from that other than the 10-10-10 release date is the fact that it's a time lapse video of encroaching cloud shadows. Fits the name, Tempus Umbra.
Shrug
Anyone have any idea what 101010 would be in binary? I'm unfamiliar with it myself. Just know it's zeros and ones.

Occurred to me that maybe he responded to Cortez's email and not yours because it was sent 'in character'. Just a thought. I don't know what exactly Cortez said in his email, but he appears to have mentioned the guy's hat and glasses. Maybe he can only respond to emails that are going along with the fiction. You're on the other forum, Sey. You might ask what Cortez said.
Again, Shrug

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: ARG, anyone?    Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:13 am

101010 doesn't mean anything, not devisable by eight. unless *, 2a, Kg==, or 42 means anything.

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: ARG, anyone?    Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:57 pm

My first email:
Quote :
Nyarlathotep?

His email... lol
Quote :
Um....snurglefarb...what? Parlez vous English?

so I sent another one, it might have been too early to involve Lovecraft, as he supposedly has not got a clue what happens to him when he loses his memory....

Waiting for reply now

EDIT: Btw, Liam, I would love it if it were 42, 42 entertainment was the company that did Resistance 3 ARGs, but that is definitely wishful thinking lol

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: ARG, anyone?    Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:47 am

Quote :

Hello Seyelback,

Thank you for your email. Well, the doctors told me that it was just part of my illness. But I am not so sure...maybe they are right, maybe they are wrong. I have been trying to remember my dreams - funny you should ask. I keep waking up and having this idea that I had a dream of someplace so familiar but it just slips away from me. I just don't know...

I used to live in New York City. Such a crazy place, I just had to get away. I have moved to Arkansas - the absolute middle of nowhere. But it als provides me wioth far fewer distractions.

bounce

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ARG, anyone?    

Back to top Go down

ARG, anyone?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Entertainment :: Random Chat-
Jump to: