The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

AHHHHH HELP

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 167

PostSubject: AHHHHH HELP   Fri May 22, 2009 5:44 am

My computer is messed up. I hate posting on my ps3

Windows does not load properly. It suggests a hardware change is the culprit, but no hardware has been changed. Windows NEVER loads now. It freezes, and I cant do anything.
On top of that MyRes doesnt recognise me and fails to confirm...try again later.
HELP PLEASE
I cant go with out my computer. What is safe mode?
Im sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 111

PostSubject: Re: AHHHHH HELP   Fri May 22, 2009 6:22 am

Safe Mode is when you start up Windows without loading all the devices drivers etc. that would normally be loaded. It allows you to get a basic 640x480 desktop up and running from which it is (theoretically) possible to then remove any faulty setup features.

Do you have the Windows System Restore feature turned on? If so, it might be easiest to wind WIndows back to the last known good configuration with that.

Otherwise, at the point where Windows is trying to start up and offers you the option of Safe Mode there should also be an option to select last-known-working config (or some such). Try that first.

This is one of the reasons I hate Windows. When it goes fubar it REALLY goes fubar.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: AHHHHH HELP   Fri May 22, 2009 4:54 pm

thanks ET. I tried last known whatever or other. It still freezes while loading. I go to safe mode, and i guess it freezes, idk. No desk top ever appears. Just freezing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: AHHHHH HELP   Fri May 22, 2009 5:05 pm

Urghhh. What it sounds like is that some sectors of your hard disk have become corrupted, sectors which contained some important Windows config information. I'm scratching my head now as it's years since I had to do this, but if you can select a Command Prompt from the start up menu (perhaps Safe Mode with COmmand Prompt?) then you could try running the CHKDSK program from the command prompt:

C:\CHKDSK /f

will check the hard drive and attempt to fix any errors as well as moving data from the broken sectors to good sectors. I'm not sure if CHKDSK comes installed by default which means you may need a WIndows rescue/recover disk. You can generally download those from the web but then you will need a working computer to burn the files onto a CD... ahem.

If CHKDSK doesn't work then you may need a new hard drive. This in itself is not a great expense (you can probably pick up a 500 gig drive for about $40), but the expense comes in the form of time and hassle: reinstalling Windows and all your programs on the new disk then putting the old disk in as a second drive and trying to copy all your data from it to the new one. This is where computer geek friends come in handy as all you have to do is drop the PC at their house with a crate of beer/lifetime supply of pocket protectors and Bob's your uncle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hoos
Fifth Nation

Nation Reputation : 37

PostSubject: Re: AHHHHH HELP   Fri May 22, 2009 6:23 pm

If you have the Windows CD you could boot to it and try a repair. You will probably need to go into the BIOS and change the boot order so that your CDROM is 1st. Then put in the Windows CD and reboot the computer. Follow the screen to the Repair option and give it a try. Sometimes Windows gets its boot files in a mess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rxforwar
Seventh Nation

Nation Reputation : 32

PostSubject: Re: AHHHHH HELP   Fri May 22, 2009 6:44 pm

Kick the m'fer.
Hard.
In its hard drive nuts.

See. Peacocks. F'ing bastards are everywhere. I awoke to one at 6:25am. Which, in ninja-land, well...

Ninjas aren't bright eyed and bushy tailed until 9, when we have anything to say about it. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: AHHHHH HELP   Fri May 22, 2009 6:54 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Kick the m'fer.
Hard.
In its hard drive nuts.

See. Peacocks. F'ing bastards are everywhere. I awoke to one at 6:25am. Which, in ninja-land, well...

Ninjas aren't bright eyed and bushy tailed until 9, when we have anything to say about it. Cool

So my 5-year-old stops me and says "Dad?". "Yes?", says I. He then proceeds to strike a pose with left arm extended palm facing forward, and right arm bent in a Peter Sellers karate chop position. "That's what ninjas do" he says.

Rx, have you been sending secret instructional videos to my son?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: AHHHHH HELP   Fri May 22, 2009 7:09 pm

I'm back up and running. Thanks guys.

I didnt have my copy of XP, but I did have *shudders* Vista.
So yeah

fixed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rxforwar
Seventh Nation

PostSubject: Re: AHHHHH HELP   Fri May 22, 2009 7:49 pm

Videos?
What year is it? Shocked Laughing
I just sent him the YouTube link, and told him to whistle 'Kung Fu Fighting' as he watched it. Look for that talent to develop soon too.
Video... Yeah, I sent him a beta cassette, which he tells me he tried to play on your 8-track, and kept wondering why the digital readout kept saying 'FAILZ'. Laughing

Six'r, I'm glad your stupid piece of microsoft shit is working again. I remembered this, and thought of you.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: AHHHHH HELP   Fri May 22, 2009 7:53 pm

Videos?
I just sent him the YouTube link, and told him to whistle 'Kung Fu Fighting' as he watched it. Look for that talent to develop soon too.
Video... Yeah, I sent him a beta cassette, which he tells me he tried to play on your 8-track, and kept wondering why the digital readout kept saying 'FAILZ'. Laughing

Six'r, I'm glad your stupid piece of microsoft shit is working again. I remembered this, and thought of you.

Meh, I use video the same way I use album. Video now means DVD and album now means CD.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rxforwar
Seventh Nation

PostSubject: Re: AHHHHH HELP   Fri May 22, 2009 8:23 pm

Videos?

Meh, I use video the same way I use album. Video now means DVD and album now means CD.

Oh, I realized that, of course, as do I. But just to say 'Hey, guess what, yore old' unprovoked seemed harsh. So I wanted to be demeaning and demoralizing too. :rabbit:
Thanks for clearing that up. Laughing Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: AHHHHH HELP   Fri May 22, 2009 8:32 pm

Careful Rx.
Keep pressing him and he may start typing you stern e mails all the while wondering why there is no enter key on his typewriter.

Can someone move the rabbit ears on the tv? I'm trying to get to the next scene selection.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: AHHHHH HELP   Fri May 22, 2009 8:33 pm

zOMG! That Sony story had me crying with laughter!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: AHHHHH HELP   Fri May 22, 2009 8:35 pm

Careful Rx.
Keep pressing him and he may start typing you stern e mails all the while wondering why there is no enter key on his typewriter.

Can someone move the rabbit ears on the tv? I'm trying to get to the next scene selection.

It's ok, I use the CARRIAGE RETURN/LINE FEED key (just above the SHIFT key) which is the same place as the CR/LF key on my typewriter. (I wonder why it has the same name....) I only use the ENTER key (on the numeric keypad) when I'm doing number type stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rxforwar
Seventh Nation

PostSubject: Re: AHHHHH HELP   Fri May 22, 2009 8:36 pm

zOMG! That Sony story had me crying with laughter!!!!

Every single time they call it a 'time vampire', I just start howling. The whole thing is brilliant. Six'rs frustration jogged my memory. Quite a feat, I promise. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cel
13th Nation

Nation Reputation : 61

PostSubject: Re: AHHHHH HELP   Sat May 23, 2009 8:15 am

Sixy-I'm on the PS3 as well.For some reason it started doing that whole "Does not reconise you" thing maybe a month ago with me as well.Here's whatcha do babe.Properly sign yourself in as you normally do.When it says "to complete sign in go here" Go there,here's where it fails to reconise you,so go to the top where you can "Find player" under the scroll.Put in SixHousePull in there bring you to your profile.. go down to where your last posts and click one.It will bring you to the forum and then will reconise you.Yeah I know .. lotta work to just post on a forum but it works nontheless. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: AHHHHH HELP   Sat May 23, 2009 8:17 am

Thanks cel. I'll have to remember that for next time.

As of now, my PC is working again....

for now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cel
13th Nation

Nation Reputation : 61

PostSubject: Re: AHHHHH HELP   Sat May 23, 2009 8:28 am

Ahh thats good.Trust,foruming on computer is way better then on a PS3.Can't even quote or properly line break on there with the PS3.Here on this awesome place I have no problems.I say you go to work for IG as a "Properly bulit forum.... dude..' scratch ...Hmmm..well I'm sure there is a name for that but you get my meaning. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: AHHHHH HELP   Sat May 23, 2009 8:43 am

Ahh thats good.Trust,foruming on computer is way better then on a PS3.Can't even quote or properly line break on there with the PS3.Here on this awesome place I have no problems.I say you go to work for IG as a "Properly bulit forum.... dude..' scratch ...Hmmm..well I'm sure there is a name for that but you get my meaning. Wink

IG had a properly-built forum. It was Sony who decided to 'improve' it by adding lots of features nobody ever uses (do you ever use those blogs, stats, etc?) and removing all the features everybody used.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: AHHHHH HELP   Sat May 23, 2009 8:57 am

Those blogs and stuff dont even work

Not for me anyhow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Last Ninja
Fifth Nation

Nation Reputation : 19

PostSubject: Re: AHHHHH HELP   Thu May 28, 2009 1:35 am

The answer to your problem is...a macintosh. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: AHHHHH HELP   Thu May 28, 2009 6:23 am

lol

Im beginning to think so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: AHHHHH HELP   Thu May 28, 2009 6:36 am

TheLastNinja wrote:

$$$$$$$$$$
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leo_337
14th Nation

Nation Reputation : 113

PostSubject: Re: AHHHHH HELP   Thu May 28, 2009 7:08 am

TheLastNinja wrote:

Is it raining then? Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: AHHHHH HELP   Thu May 28, 2009 8:20 am

Musta been. Hang on and I'll look out the Windows

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AHHHHH HELP   

Back to top Go down

AHHHHH HELP

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Entertainment :: Random Chat-