The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

Omar Rodriguez-Lopez Appreciation Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
qnt3n
First Nation
First Nation

Nation Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Omar Rodriguez-Lopez Appreciation Thread   Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:12 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Anyone listen to him? Or At the Drive-In, The Mars Volta, or anything else associated with Omar? If you don't, look into him. He'll take you to another world :thumbsup:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 82

PostSubject: Re: Omar Rodriguez-Lopez Appreciation Thread   Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:29 pm

Never heard of him. Any song you can recommend from YouTube? What kind of music is it?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
qnt3n
First Nation
First Nation

PostSubject: Re: Omar Rodriguez-Lopez Appreciation Thread   Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:07 pm

oLee_am0 wrote:
Never heard of him. Any song you can recommend from YouTube? What kind of music is it?

Well, he has a billion solo albums, a few collab albums with John Frusciante (my second favorite guitarist) from Red Hot Chili Peppers and others. He was bassist in At the Drive-In for a short time then switched to guitar. His group, The Mars Volta, is sort of progressive but not really. It incorporates a lot of latin based sounds and rythyms, while sticking to the progressive type sound. They also show a little of their punk roots from At the Drive-In as well, so there's a lot going on in one song. I'll post a song from each, be prepared to be listening for awhile because most of his songs are 10 min+, except with AtDI:

From his solo album 'Se Dice Bisonte, No Bufalo' a little is cut off from the beginning.
Spoiler:

From The Mars Volta's album 'Frances The Mute', it's the opening song.
Spoiler:

A 2-part jam session he did with John Frusciante and Flea from RHCP:
Spoiler:

From At the Drive-In's Album 'Relationship of Command':
Spoiler:

And another The Mars Volta song from their album 'Bedlam in Goliath', which is their heavier album. You can hear a lot of punk influences in this song:
Spoiler:

Great stuff there, that's only a small fraction of what he has to offer, he's also a producer and movie director.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ivorymonsoon
First Nation
First Nation

PostSubject: Re: Omar Rodriguez-Lopez Appreciation Thread   Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:29 am

Huge fan of ATDI (Never got to see them live unfortunately) Love The Mars Volta's earlier albums haven't listened to much of the newer stuff.

Saw TMV live a few times and ofcourse always an amazing show.

Haven't seen any movies he has done though, any good behind the camera?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
qnt3n
First Nation
First Nation

PostSubject: Re: Omar Rodriguez-Lopez Appreciation Thread   Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:54 pm

ivorymonsoon wrote:
Huge fan of ATDI (Never got to see them live unfortunately) Love The Mars Volta's earlier albums haven't listened to much of the newer stuff.

Saw TMV live a few times and ofcourse always an amazing show.

Haven't seen any movies he has done though, any good behind the camera?

always nice to meet an ATDI or TMV fan.

The ATDI reunion has got me pretty excited, hoping they swing down south to Florida or surrounding areas for some shows

Not many people have seen Omar's movies because he doesn't release them haha. But From what I've heard, The Sentimental Engine Slayer is really good. It's actually supposed to release on DVD sometime in the near future.

I'm very very very excited for Nocturniquet, I preordered my copy and now I'm waiting for the vinyl preorders to go up. According to Cedric, the vinyl is going to be "very very special"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Omar Rodriguez-Lopez Appreciation Thread   

Back to top Go down

Omar Rodriguez-Lopez Appreciation Thread

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Entertainment :: Random Chat :: Music-
Jump to: