The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

When I grow up I want to be...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Fawlty__Towers
Fifth Nation

Nation Reputation : 6

PostSubject: When I grow up I want to be...   Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:01 pm

Hey everyone, I'm not sure if there was a thread like this previously and I couldn't find one from searching so I thought I'd start one.

As if we didn't know each other well enough already I thought it might be fun to find out:

- What you do (because you're supposedly grown up)
or
- What you WANT to do (because you're not grown up)
or
- What you want to do OVER (because you're supposedly grown up, but you hate what you chose the first time around)

I'll start things off.

Currently I work at a hospital in a molecular diagnostics laboratory. Basically in my job I take patient samples and extract dna from them. After that I process the patient's dna based on the test ordered by the doctors. In our lab we run tests anywhere from respiratory virus panels, to vitamin panels, to clotting factor tests.

I initially got this job because I was on a path to applying to medical school. However, in hindsight I've come to the realization that 1)I may not be cut out for it, 2)I definitely don't want to spend that much more time in school, and 3)Although the pay might be good I don't think being a doctor prescribes to the lifestyle I want to live (in terms of free time with family, etc).

The new path:
I've always had a huge passion for science and the environment so the plan now is to go back to school at some point and attempt to get my Master's in Environmental Science and Engineering. Specifically in applied environmental microbiology and bio-remediation. Basically all that means is that I would work with people using micro-organisms to clean up environmental sites contaminated with various types of waste. Did that make any sense?

Anyways, if any of you are game let's hear what you do or what your career ambitions are. It's always fun to learn more about my fellow 6th Nationers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Charlitos
Seventh Nation

Nation Reputation : 19

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:25 pm

Awesome thread, Fawlty. cheers

As for me, I have absolutely no idea what I want to do when I grow up. I am still young, and I hate when people ask me those kind of questions, and expect to get answers. I'm in 8th grade for God sake! I can't even decide what snack to have when I'm hungry! So anyway, I'm just taking it slow, and hopefully when I get into high school (or college for you down in Aussie and NZ) I'll find some interests, and hopefully enjoy what I do the rest of my life Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vrals597
Seventh Nation

Nation Reputation : -15

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:42 pm

well being in the 11th grade I have an idea about what I want to do, something involving history, maybe at a news corporation? Just investigate what happens around the world? Some people think that I'll become a talking head lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fawlty__Towers
Fifth Nation

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:26 pm

Charlitos wrote:
Awesome thread, Fawlty. cheers

As for me, I have absolutely no idea what I want to do when I grow up. I am still young, and I hate when people ask me those kind of questions, and expect to get answers. I'm in 8th grade for God sake! I can't even decide what snack to have when I'm hungry! So anyway, I'm just taking it slow, and hopefully when I get into high school (or college for you down in Aussie and NZ) I'll find some interests, and hopefully enjoy what I do the rest of my life Very Happy= :D

Thanks buddy. Very Happy= :D

Oh man to be young again! Regardless of what you decide to do, don't forget that it's NEVER too late to change.

Always shoot for the stars and continue to grow!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:41 pm

Personally, I want to get into the gaming industry, either as a graphics designer or a programmer.
Back to top Go down
reptile555
Fourth Nation

Nation Reputation : 1

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:03 pm

I always wanted to join the air force but I don't think I'll be able achieve that anytime soon. I also want to wok with history maybe become a history teacher or something Smile
awesome thread
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation

Nation Reputation : 100

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:04 pm

When I was in high school in grade 12 I was taking:

English 12AP/Literature 12 (and also got credit for English 12)
Math 12 Challenge/Calculus AP
Physics 12
Physics/Chemistry 12 AP
Grad Transitions (sort of like a planning course for your future, eventually turning into a study block for grade 12's so they could still have study time despite budget cuts)
Studio Arts: Printmaking and Design 12

Busy year, but I could get my foot in the door to the place I wanted to start with no problem. Honestly though, I had no idea what I was going to do with my future.

I took a geography course sort of accidentally in my first semester of uni - not so keen on the people parts, loved the non-people parts. I'm taking some more to see if I like it, but I'm not sure much past that. I guess right now geography is certainly more narrow then "I don't know."

I like my graphics courses in high school, so I'm wondering what cartography entails.

Jumping from a science to a science doesn't seem that out of the ordinary Fawlty. As long as you like it and it interests you, it doesn't really matter what you decide to do. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kidchimera00
Seventh Nation

Nation Reputation : 14

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:14 pm

I wanna be a...

• drummer
  • author
  • VG story writer
  • Erotic dancer (just to try it out Very Happy= :D )

Maybe more. I haven't decided.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Madformelons
Second Nation

Nation Reputation : 2

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:33 am

Good post Fawlty.
I have been involved in the electronics industry, in one way or another, all my working life.
If I was able to now I would like to study astrophysics however commitments don't allow me to do full time study. Puzzled
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SparklyBazongaz,
11th Nation

Nation Reputation : 37

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:50 am

I change my mind every five seconds... Laughing

At the moment I'm taking
Textiles
Art
Advanced English
General Maths
Senior Science
Legal Studies.

I wanted to be a Nurse, but I never got accepted into the course (I was in hospital at the time and yeah) and then I realised I'd be at uni for a while, and kinda unrealistic because I have a love-hate relationship with school... I can't wait for it to end, but I want to go to uni.. but not for like another 5 years D: I'D GO CRAZY

Then I wanted to be a tattoo artist... but I'd suck at that
Writer.... too lazy to write a novel Laughing
Art teacher.... ugh, kids... nooooo. I can barely stand to be around myself sometimes... Razz
Science teacher.... cuz I had a moment where I thought science was the shit, and I'd be like the 'coolest' teacher ever.
Forensic Scientist/ one of those CSI kinda people :3

At the moment I've settled on Forensic Lawyer, because both all that crime stuff, and being a lawyer interests me, so why not combine the two? Very Happy= :D

BUT. I have a feeling that I'll be running a brothel with my best friend Lizzie... We've already figured out where we're gonna open one.. Laughing

naah, jks

Forensic Lawyer is the goal Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:20 am

(o.O) Does that mean Fawlty is a genius?

Previously I was a baker, then a chef. Both jobs left little in the way of any social life cause of the hours. As a baker I was working from 5am - 5pm, as a chef I was working from 12pm to 12am. So I went with a career change.

Now I am currently IT Liason(Dunno what the liason means I just make things work), Website manager/content filler, Graphic Designer, advertising manager, office maintenence, waste disposal manager, first aid person, and general all round administrator for an auctioneers while also being the IT Consultant for 4 other businesses. Course that could mean anything from "How do I use Facebook?" to "Hey I downloaded a free anti-virus program when the computer told me it was infected while I was on the internet but it doesn't seem to be working as my computer is really slow..." I like to think of myself as a part time idiot carer.

I like the job in the auctioneers office cause there is always something, and I definatly learn something new at least once a week. If I did a course I could possibly get myself a masters in computer fixing whichever... Yeah.

Least the hours aren't so bad.

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Insom
Eighth Nation

Nation Reputation : 29

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:34 am

I want to be an English/Mathematics teacher or lecturer or possibly a novelist/poet.

I originally though I wanted to be a civil engineer, til I realised it was a huge workload it terms of academic performance, and a pacifier to my father's expectations of me as the "smart child". Dropped out around this time last year during my second year of college.

Hoping to return this September to do an Arts degree.

Currently in a basic IT skills course since it boosts my welfare income, as well as working part time in a hotel bar, which I like now, but don't wanna do for life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:42 pm

Insom wrote:
I want to be an English/Mathematics teacher or lecturer or possibly a novelist/poet.

I originally though I wanted to be a civil engineer, [...]

I was thinking about that, then I saw all the uni-level math and then I said, "I like math, but not that much so I'm gunning for a science that is heavy-duty in the math department.

FYI, almost every English or Math teacher I've come across has been cool to some degree. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fawlty__Towers
Fifth Nation

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:27 pm

Thanks for all the replies so far everyone! I wasn't sure how people would feel about the topic. Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Insom
Eighth Nation

Nation Reputation : 29

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:07 am

Azira wrote:
Insom wrote:

I originally though I wanted to be a civil engineer, [...]

I was thinking about that, then I saw all the uni-level math and then I said, "I like math, but not that much so I'm gunning for a science that is heavy-duty in the math department.

FYI, almost every English or Math teacher I've come across has been cool to some degree. Cool

Uni-level math is nothing compared to maths in a science or engineering degree. Even my math lecturer said so, and he was a Doctor of Mathematics, not an engineer.
We were doing the toughest undergrad math course in the country. As freshmen.
His head reminded me of Dr. Neo Cortex from Crash Bandicoot.

I loved my english teachers, especially the one I had in my last two years, she let me write during class time so long as I could answer the questions when she asked.
She also noticed when I was having some personal problems.

You're doing geography right?

My older brother did that and history.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpongeBobNoPants
Ninth Nation

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:14 am

Well, I am a 911 dispatcher for Fire, Police, and Ambulance. However, I do not like this job anymore lolz, I want to be a Fire Fighter when I grow up!!!
Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fawlty__Towers
Fifth Nation

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:12 am

SpongeBobNoPants wrote:
Well, I am a 911 dispatcher for Fire, Police, and Ambulance. However, I do not like this job anymore lolz, I want to be a Fire Fighter when I grow up!!!
Cool

Go for it Sponge!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kidchimera00
Seventh Nation

Nation Reputation : 14

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:16 am

SpongeBobNoPants wrote:
Cool

Fire Fighter? Don't you mean Fire Starter? Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:19 am

No thats me part of my plan to keep him employed.

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whatbearisbest
Seventh Nation

Nation Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:34 am

when I grow up I want to be a stay at home mom. Seriously.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:38 am

Insom wrote:
You're doing geography right?

My older brother did that and history.

Yeah - I'm in an intro to atmosphere course. I'm been having real difficulty staying awake because I already know dark bodies keep heat better than light-coloured bodies Razz but next week we'll start discussing clouds which will be new for me. Smile Hopefully I can stay awake then. Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fawlty__Towers
Fifth Nation

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:42 am

whatbearisbest wrote:
when I grow up I want to be a stay at home mom. Seriously.

Nothing wrong with that...well, as long as you make a kick ass sammich!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpongeBobNoPants
Ninth Nation

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:22 pm

Fawlty__Towers wrote:
SpongeBobNoPants wrote:
Cool

Go for it Sponge!!
Thanks Faulty!!!!

Liam- Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fawlty__Towers
Fifth Nation

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:28 pm

So to expand on my plan a bit more, here's what I need to do before I can start applying to Masters programs:

- re-take the GRE and raise my previous scores
- take 1 year of Calculus
- take 1 semester of Statistics
- Get some kick ass LORs

My plan is to apply by January 2012 and start the following Fall.

I'm hoping that this thread can serve as an outlet for my progress. I'm also hoping that you all can use it for that same reason as well! Not only to track yourself (if you want) but also to find words of encouragement from our awesome community during rough times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vrals597
Seventh Nation

Nation Reputation : -15

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:19 pm

well you need to get the kids first lol

I have a friend who is in our towns volunteer ambulance corps, he has some interesting stories about when he is on call, we actually listen to the police scanner sometimes and boy do we hear some random stuff such as "we've heard multiple screams in the area, male, female, and possibly dog"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   

Back to top Go down

When I grow up I want to be...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Entertainment :: Random Chat-
Jump to: