The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.


Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community
 
Log inHomePortalMemberlistRegisterUsergroupsGallerySearchFAQCalendar
Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 
 

 When I grow up I want to be...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Vrals597
Seventh Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : -15

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:28 pm

is that something that you do in Europe, learning about clouds and the atmosphere in a geography class? In the US I remember doing that sort of stuff in Earth Science, the entire class seemed to require these materials: Coffee/a Pillow/music to wake you up with and a notebook to take notes with
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : 100

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:24 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
is that something that you do in Europe, learning about clouds and the atmosphere in a geography class? In the US I remember doing that sort of stuff in Earth Science, the entire class seemed to require these materials: Coffee/a Pillow/music to wake you up with and a notebook to take notes with

Geography covers a very large range of topics: physical geography includes studies of the lithosphere, hydrosphere, atmosphere and biosphere to name a few.

So yes, people do learn about clouds and the rest of the atmosphere in a geography class. Earth science classes are geography classes that are specifically Earth-related, but for most purposes the terms are interchangeable. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wadey
Ninth Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : 43

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:24 pm

when i grow up i want to be an older version of my self Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vrals597
Seventh Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : -15

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:34 pm

always good

When we talk about Geography in the US it seems to mean stuff like characteristics of the earth's surface, mountains, rivers, etc. to be perfectly honest with when I take geography lessons in college I will not be learning about the atmosphere or any of that stuff, I'll leave it to the Meteorologists to do that sort of stuff lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SparklyBazongaz,
11th Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : 37

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:02 am

I'm actually studying harder and everything...
(well, after my dad kinda gave me a lecture about being lazy :L)

My sister wants to do a similar uni course like me, or something related to the criminology part and im like Shocked DUDE, WE COULD TOTALLY WORK TOGETHER.

and she totally rejected me bro. D:

Laughing

But shes very determined (but stresses easily), and I'm rather chilled about everything and just cruise through everything rather easily, so I gotta study hard like her or I won't remember anything, and therefore fail epically. Crying or Very sad

So~ I brought some lovely pink notepads that I can make my study notes on and also some post-its so I can put some simple key words to refresh my memory, and stick it to the mirror, or on the fridge, just places around the house I always walk by :L

fingers crossed that this works Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fawlty__Towers
Fifth Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : 6

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:52 am

Good luck Sayber!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-Dj-
Seventh Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : -1

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:16 am

i wanne be a bear when i grow up
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fawlty__Towers
Fifth Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : 6

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:35 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
i wanne be a bear when i grow up

Everyone's gotta have something to aspire to! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mitchell
Eighth Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : 47

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:45 pm

I dunno what I wanna be yet...................
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fawlty__Towers
Fifth Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : 6

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:25 pm

Mitchellkillgour wrote:
I dunno what I wanna be yet...................

It's cool Mitch, you're still a youngin!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Charlitos
Seventh Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : 19

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:52 pm

There should be a word called oldin...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eve
Eighth Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : 26

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:37 pm

I'm Leaning towards graphic design
Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whatbearisbest
Seventh Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:39 pm

my sister went to college for graphic design. Now she works at a bank.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : 100

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:49 pm

My graphics teacher did a lot of advertising stuff and other art stuff before becoming a graphic arts teacher. She's probably one of my favourite favourite teachers of my education.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Raistlin
Eighth Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : 67

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:40 pm

I'm currently an account manager at Canada's largest Telecommunications Company.
Not my job of choice. But it provides a decent lifestyle. If I had my way I would still be an outdoor education instructor or a youth worker as I love working with kids and youth. Unfortunately the jobs I love pay dirt cheap. And in this day and age, part time work at 20:00 an hour or full time at 10:00 an hour will not cut it.

In a world where most families need both parents or adults to make a combined income; in a world where no one is paid what they're worth; in a world where we're taught from pre-school to trade our most valuable asset, time, for money; I want to take the road only 2% travel.

Within 2 - 5 years I plan to be semi-retired. I plan to continue helping people by providing them with mentorship, leadership, and coaching in a vehicle that allows people to be free.
One thing I have found is that any profession that I had figured would be fun - was with helping people. In this way, I plan to become a success by helping others succeed.
2 - 5 years. Thats the plan, the goal, it is my dream. And I can't wait for that day when I can wake up at 7am, look over at my desk and see no alarm clock. Because I won't have to go into an office to be told when to take a pee break, when to have lunch and when I can leave.

I'm worth more than that. And so is everyone else.

Big Dreams. Big Plans. Super Jacked for my future.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vrals597
Seventh Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : -15

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:38 pm

being semi-retired in 2-5 years? That is basically blasphemy in my town, well at least for most of us it is lol. gl with it, Raist, that's something I will never be able to achieve
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Raistlin
Eighth Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : 67

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:45 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
being semi-retired in 2-5 years? That is basically blasphemy in my town, well at least for most of us it is lol. gl with it, Raist, that's something I will never be able to achieve

Garbage. The reason why you say "never" is because you've been trained to think like an employee your entire life. Thats what you're told to do - do something you like and get paid for it. Go to school (and go into debt while doing it) so you can get a good job. Trouble is, everyone and their dog already has a degree. So your "advantage" of differentiating yourself from the masses (which is the main reason of going to school) is lost. And so then, you're just like everyone else. You trade your time for money - thats what you're taught. How many Starbucks Barista's or McDonald's employee's already have a degree? More than you would think. There are a tonne of teachers and doctors that can't get paid because there is no market for them. They go to school for years, only to find there are no opportunities once they graduate. Not yet.....maybe in a year or so.....The cruddy thing is that you aren't paid what you're worth. No matter what job, or what company you choose to work for.....You're paid what it costs to replace you. Plain and simple.

I know this because I work for a large corporation ( [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ) You already do what I do. The difference is, I get paid to do it. ( 10 - 15 hours of my spare time per week) 98% of people are employees. They are trained to be such. If you trade your time - get money per hour based on "experience/skill".....maybe. 2% - who are they? Business owners.

You can be more. The 98% out there are not educated on how to be more than employees. Which is why they work for an hourly wage. When you aren't paid for what you're worth, its hard to move forward and realize your dreams.

Thats why I made this video in my real llife series -

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Insom
Eighth Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : 29

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:11 am

That's really something to aspire to Raist, I hope you get there.

My career goal is to be a teacher or a writer.

Life goal is more of a pay it forward kinda thing, I got a lot given to me, either by my parents or by those few teachers who engaged me as a person rather than a name on a test.
I was given the platform and the encouragement to find and develop a gift.

I want to pass that opportunity on, to help others to see their potential and chase it.
Firstly my kids, and then other peoples, for years and years.

It does mean I have to get a couple of dime-a-dozen degrees, but like you, I know my destination, and as I'm sure you do, I know my path.
If I have to jump through a hoop a couple of times to get to where I wanna be, but as an outdoorsman, you know life isn't anything if it isn't a challenge.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
avatar

Nation Reputation : 111

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:56 am

I have a couple of degrees. I will admit the first one was because it was a choice of going to college or looking for employment. That led to a teaching job which I did for five years before deciding I wanted a PhD. I embarked on the PhD when I was ready for it and when I had worked out *why* I wanted it. I wanted it because I wanted to prove to myself I could do it and secondly because it's really vital for career progression in my profession.

I first started in this job because it looked interesting and it paid better than other jobs I was looking at. I thought I'd do it for 5 years. That was 22 years ago.

I still think about what I want to be when I grow up and although I have some career ambitions, more and more that all seems increasingly unimportant. I think the most important thing for me is to be a true disciple.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whatbearisbest
Seventh Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:28 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I'm currently an account manager at Canada's largest Telecommunications Company.
Not my job of choice. But it provides a decent lifestyle. If I had my way I would still be an outdoor education instructor or a youth worker as I love working with kids and youth. Unfortunately the jobs I love pay dirt cheap. And in this day and age, part time work at 20:00 an hour or full time at 10:00 an hour will not cut it.

In a world where most families need both parents or adults to make a combined income; in a world where no one is paid what they're worth; in a world where we're taught from pre-school to trade our most valuable asset, time, for money; I want to take the road only 2% travel.

Within 2 - 5 years I plan to be semi-retired. I plan to continue helping people by providing them with mentorship, leadership, and coaching in a vehicle that allows people to be free.
One thing I have found is that any profession that I had figured would be fun - was with helping people. In this way, I plan to become a success by helping others succeed.
2 - 5 years. Thats the plan, the goal, it is my dream. And I can't wait for that day when I can wake up at 7am, look over at my desk and see no alarm clock. Because I won't have to go into an office to be told when to take a pee break, when to have lunch and when I can leave.

I'm worth more than that. And so is everyone else.

Big Dreams. Big Plans. Super Jacked for my future.

what is your plan to be able to be semi-retired in 2-5 years? Most people, when they start making more money, also start spending more money. At your age, you probably can't semi-retire until you have about 2 million in the bank. So to get that amount of money in 2-5 years, I'd be curious of how you can do that. And please don't say amway
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-Dj-
Seventh Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : -1

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:25 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
my sister went to college for graphic design. Now she works at a bank.
Laughing sorry but that was too funny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fawlty__Towers
Fifth Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : 6

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:39 pm

I really like where this thread is going!

Raist: I love your positivity man...You're like our own personal motivational speaker!

Insom: Sounds like you've got a good path and a great heart. I know you'll succeed at whatever you choose.

Eat: What is your PhD in? In other words what do you teach?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vrals597
Seventh Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : -15

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:20 pm

I think I want to get a PhD in foreign relations/history but not because I want to teach it or anything like that, I hope to be working for one of the news corporations in a few years, or maybe the feds? idk yet personally I would prefer a news corporation just because at least I have a chance of getting a decent wage working for them lol

Other than that I have no idea what I want to do with my life, should be entertaining though, I know that I want to live in NY just because I like it here but the cost of living here is just BRUTAL, my teachers starting pay is 61K but that is really just to make it so they can have a normal standard of living when compared to other teachers, although, they can make like 100k now, my school takes education very seriously, but I will not teach because I can't stand grading papers or any of that other stuff, teachers get off at 2:30 my butt, most of mine are there until 6pm every day just grading papers, and then you throw in like another dozen over the weekend.......long hours stink lol

Well I got a little off topic there lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DANNP2
First Nation
First Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:45 pm

Well I'm just going to jump in here . I feel like the old fart in here but , I am a Autobody Tech and got into the trade quit by accident . I worked lots of jobs a s a boy and young man . I have worked in lumber mills (producing lumber to arch ribs ) , I've worked on farms ( from milking cows to haying ) , I've delivered pizza's , worked at a grocey store cleaning up after hours , worked in the blueberry fields , delivered newspapers and all before I was 20 . Then by accident I was asked if I would take a course on Autobody because the Community College had a number of students drop out . It was a decision I will live to regret in a manner of speaking . Don't get me wrong , I took my 2 year course and immediately got a job , I worked there for 9 months when winter came it got slow so I got laid off . I was not home 2 weeks when I got a call for a job i was not looking for . I am currently at the same place 18 yrs later . Now about the live to regret part , don't get me wrong I have been able to raise a wonderful family from this career , but It takes an awful toll on your body with the continuous looking down and crouching . I have the body of a 60 yr old and I am 20 yrs younger .

If I had it to do all over I would start my own farm with organic foods and animals . I always liked growing things and raising my own livestock. Which I do to a small scale now but only for myself .

I would agree with the idea of you can do anything you want and to go for it . I would only say one thing , when you reach my age and have the responsibilities I have and the experience I have , you get stuck in a rut sort of . I cannot afford to change careers with a wife and 2 kids to provide for . If I was a young man with no responsibility and needed a change I would do it in a heart beat , but when you have other people to consider it would not be fair for me to make that decision .

I hope I did not get too far of topic . My apologies if I did .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
avatar

Nation Reputation : 167

PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:04 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:


I hope I did not get too far of topic . My apologies if I did .

No, it was a great post dude.




Me...I just wanna be happy when I "grow up". I live life to be happy in it. I dont get hung up on all this bs.
Who cares? All the planning, the trading time for money, the being overly wealthy...what difference will any of it make when we're feeding the worms.
I dont have a great job. Its laborious, for nine months it ulcer bearing, its filled with pesticides, it most definitely doesn't pay me what Im worth, I will never be able to retire, and some days I would much rather jab a fork in my septum than see half my "co workers."

But work is just one part of my life. And Im content in it and happy with everything else.
I have my health. A home, and I have been able to provide for my family more than I ever had growing up.
We have the needs, and most of the wants so.....

I see myself ahead of the game. Shrug
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: When I grow up I want to be...   

Back to top Go down
 

When I grow up I want to be...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Entertainment :: Random Chat-
Jump to: