The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

Who's a Gearhead ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DANNP2
First Nation
First Nation

Nation Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Who's a Gearhead ?    Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:14 pm

Ok I'm new here but is anyone a gearhead ? I am an autobody tech and like to play with cars, bikes etc. I have a 1988 GSXR 750 I plan on getting out this year anyone else bike ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-Dj-
Seventh Nation

Nation Reputation : -1

PostSubject: Re: Who's a Gearhead ?    Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:25 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Ok I'm new here but is anyone a gearhead ? I am an autobody tech and like to play with cars, bikes etc. I have a 1988 GSXR 750 I plan on getting out this year anyone else bike ?
i took a autobody class back in the day but the treacher went crazy and try to kill him self
i didn't learn much in that class Sad

i have a mountain bike Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CptCrazypants
Fifth Nation

Nation Reputation : 5

PostSubject: Re: Who's a Gearhead ?    Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:09 pm

Im not hardcore into it, but I can do most of the repairs on my truck. Ive got an 01 F150. Oh and welcome to the nation Dan!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DANNP2
First Nation
First Nation

PostSubject: Re: Who's a Gearhead ?    Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:15 pm

Thanks . I would really like to get a garage up and get some sheet metal tools and build some panels and cars from scratch .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 167

PostSubject: Re: Who's a Gearhead ?    Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:35 pm

I never really got into cars too much. I do have a buddy who designs and installs roll cages.
Hes a total gear head. He also races in a small local league. I think the coolest thing about him though is when they were filming here in Chicago for one of those Batman movies, they used him to do up all the stunt cars and roll cages.
Pretty neat.
He was always bringing something back from the "set"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vrals597
Seventh Nation

Nation Reputation : -15

PostSubject: Re: Who's a Gearhead ?    Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:49 pm

That is pretty sweet, Six, wish I could be him, I'm not much of a gearhead.....yet, since I'm 17 it can be pretty hard be for me since I'm new to the world of cars, relatively speaking that is lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DANNP2
First Nation
First Nation

PostSubject: Re: Who's a Gearhead ?    Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:56 am

17 is not too young , I've been working on cars since I was able to walk . My dad had a repair business when I was young , and I was always playin with something or helping my dad . When I was around 8 yrs old I was taking out transmissions for my dad and under coating cars . I remember once my brother and I took the rear internals apart on our bicycles and couldn't remember how to put it back together , my father wouldn't put it back together to teach us a lesson , much to our dismay . Anyway the lesson , which he never told us was to pay attention to how you take things apart and do it slowly so you can put it back together . A lesson I will never forget . That lesson has helped me take apart and repair thing I know nothing about .

Anyway off topic , That's really cool Six , my father inlaw has an old willy's truck , and he has had it in a movie and a commercial made here locally .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CptCrazypants
Fifth Nation

Nation Reputation : 5

PostSubject: Re: Who's a Gearhead ?    Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:50 pm

nice, one guy that I work with, his whole family is into tinkering with any type of machinery. They also do some local stock car racing and they're always playing around with the balancing and whatnot. Right now their rebuilding an engine on an old Ford Dump Truck thats got around 1.8Million miles on it haha
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DANNP2
First Nation
First Nation

PostSubject: Re: Who's a Gearhead ?    Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:00 pm

Yeah I like tinkering with stuff like that myself . I bought an old skid steer or what most people know them as a bobcat but that's like sayin I have a ford truck , not all trucks are made by ford . Anyway I like fixing it up , it needs some fixing to make it dependable , however it is usable , but you cannot buy parts for them any more so you have to modify or build your own parts that's the challenge .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Raistlin
Eighth Nation

Nation Reputation : 67

PostSubject: Re: Who's a Gearhead ?    Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:33 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
When I was around 8 yrs old I was taking out transmissions for my dad and under coating cars . I remember once my brother and I took the rear internals apart on our bicycles and couldn't remember how to put it back together , my father wouldn't put it back together to teach us a lesson , much to our dismay . Anyway the lesson , which he never told us was to pay attention to how you take things apart and do it slowly so you can put it back together . A lesson I will never forget . That lesson has helped me take apart and repair thing I know nothing about .

Good lesson for sure. Can't say I'm much of a gearhead. If its basics for bike or car, then I can figure my way around stuff. If I need to find something out I bring it to my own trusted tech. if I had more time and resources I wouldn't mind messing around more. But I know a bunch of people who love that stuff Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vrals597
Seventh Nation

Nation Reputation : -15

PostSubject: Re: Who's a Gearhead ?    Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:22 pm

you seem to have the connections for everything, Raist, know anybody in the Canadian gov't? lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whatbearisbest
Seventh Nation

PostSubject: Re: Who's a Gearhead ?    Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:58 am

I've pretty much only dated "gearheads" My fiance used to help modify all his friends cars, and built a few of his. From that experience he put together a "portfolio" and about 6 years ago got an interview with volkswagen in their accessories design center. They hired him with only a 2 year business degree and within the first year he got promoted to an engineer. Now he just took a different job on the other side of the state as a senior engineer. They build rear view mirrors with cameras for different car manufacturers and his first week he took one of those mirrors, and rebuilt it to make some camera he put in his office to see when people come in. Totally nerdy but all the other guys wanted one and his boss said he has never seen anyone figure out how to do re assemble the camera without the motherboard (something like that). So yeah, he can pretty much look at something and figure it out.

Oh, and when we met, he had an R1. He sold it to put a down payment on a house.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DANNP2
First Nation
First Nation

PostSubject: Re: Who's a Gearhead ?    Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:08 pm

Interesting ^ , sorry it took so long to respond bt my youngest son got a virus with my computer and I just got it up and running again . Mad Had to reload the operating system and every thing else . Not back to 100 % but usable .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who's a Gearhead ?    

Back to top Go down

Who's a Gearhead ?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Entertainment :: Random Chat-
Jump to: