The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

**NEED ADVICE ON EBAY TRANSACTION**

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Would you go through and trust this offer?
Yes
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
No
100%
 100% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 5

AuthorMessage
X-FACTOR29
Third Nation

Nation Reputation : 1

PostSubject: **NEED ADVICE ON EBAY TRANSACTION**   Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:53 am

Ok so I've been looking for a Subaru STI. I recently found a great deal from someone (online) who is "apparently" moving. The car is a 2004 Subaru STI for around $6,000. It is apparently in mint condition and only has around 75,000 Kms. Now here's the thing when I talked about the financial stuff this is the email I was replied with:

Quote :
The car is sent to DAS and they will handle the shipping for me.
The title, all the paperwork needed to register the car under your name including a notarized bill of sale and odometer check statement will come.
I will not ask for money from you because you haven't seen / test driven the car yet. Here is how we can do this. My suggestion is eBay for the transaction. The financial part will be managed by them. The only thing I request from you is to make the payment to eBay but no money will reach my account until the car is inspected. No offense, but I need to be sure the person who receives the car is verified by a legitimate party.
Look how this works:
1. I will contact eBay and give all the info about this deal.
2. They will email us the forms which are needed for our deal.
3. I will send the car to your location and you will send the money at eBay.
4. After you will inspect the car and decide to keep it, eBay will forward the funds.
If the car is not suitable for you from any reason, your money will be fully refundable and I will take the car back on my cost. I'm sure it won't be the case because it's a state of art looking and working machine. Anyway, you will have 15 days from the time you receive the car to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not.

If you wish to purchase it please provide me your full name, shipping address and your phone# so I can initiate the deal through eBay.
Also, let me know if there's something else you need to know.
Regards,
Catherine

I don't use ebay so I'm not even sure you they can hold the payment until I give the O.K to them. I've also never used DAS before so I'm not sure how that works either.

Thanks for all advice!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leo_337
14th Nation

Nation Reputation : 113

PostSubject: Re: **NEED ADVICE ON EBAY TRANSACTION**   Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:55 am

Sounds dodgy... Step away and buy a car through a trusted source, I'd say. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
X-FACTOR29
Third Nation

PostSubject: Re: **NEED ADVICE ON EBAY TRANSACTION**   Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:28 pm

hmm yeah i agree.
I did some researching look what I found at the DAS site. These are things to look for fraud.

The vehicle is priced just under $5,000 even though it is worth much more

When the price is too good to be true, it probably is. Don't take a chance! Scammers can get away with your money because the FBI doesn't investigate and prosecute fraud schemes under $5,000.

The seller tells you the car is stored at a DAS facility

DAS does not store unsold vehicles at any of our locations. It is best for you to see the vehicle for yourself or have someone you trust inspect it for you.

The seller asks you to send payment to an eBay agent, to DAS, or via an untraceable method

EBay does not have employees, agents, or representatives who collect payment on behalf of a seller and DAS does not accept payment for anything but our services directly related to auto transport. Always use a reliable and traceable source when paying for your vehicle.

Tips for spotting and avoiding fraud when you buy a car online

BOOM! CAUGHT YA YOU FRAUDER Angry :angry: Noob :noob:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
banded1
Tenth Nation

Nation Reputation : 59

PostSubject: Re: **NEED ADVICE ON EBAY TRANSACTION**   Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:31 pm

funny how every single rule except the car being $6000 was broken...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jadedoblivion
Seventh Nation

Nation Reputation : 19

PostSubject: Re: **NEED ADVICE ON EBAY TRANSACTION**   Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:02 pm

^this^

If its the 6000 then if the did scam you the fbi could look into and they would end up with some heavy jail time, if im not mistaken, but then again I really wouldn't trust it just because of that one thing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
banded1
Tenth Nation

PostSubject: Re: **NEED ADVICE ON EBAY TRANSACTION**   Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:14 pm

report him?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
omega9
Ninth Nation

Nation Reputation : 29

PostSubject: Re: **NEED ADVICE ON EBAY TRANSACTION**   Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:17 pm

Report him. A person willing to scam others will continue to do so until either they're rolling in other peoples money or until they get caught. Help put him away.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
X-FACTOR29
Third Nation

PostSubject: Re: **NEED ADVICE ON EBAY TRANSACTION**   Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:57 pm

Report him to? Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
banded1
Tenth Nation

PostSubject: Re: **NEED ADVICE ON EBAY TRANSACTION**   Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:21 pm

ebay? the site he posted on
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kidchimera00
Seventh Nation

Nation Reputation : 14

PostSubject: Re: **NEED ADVICE ON EBAY TRANSACTION**   Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:00 am

There's a reason I dont use internet transactions, X-Factor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 82

PostSubject: Re: **NEED ADVICE ON EBAY TRANSACTION**   Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:23 am

I use ebay quite a lot and if this is fraud I do not understand why they would want to do it through eBay. As far as I know (at least here, in the UK) there is payment protection if you pay through Paypal.

The thing with eBay is that is an auction and it is a contract. If you bid and win, then you have to pay. You can claim a refund if you do not receive the goods or the goods are not as described. He does not need your details to put in on eBay. In fact, all he needs is his details and those of the car. You could tell him to put it up and you might bid. See if he has sold other stuff before, what feedback he has got and also send an email to eBay asking for the protection you get with cars. I know some people have even sold houses through there.

It is a legal binding contract (eBay) but you need to be careful. Check all the small print, you can ask for a refund if the product is not as described but generally the costs of sending it back are yours, or if you have not received the goods. However, if in the small print says that "is broken" then you cannot claim it is not as described. Also, once you send the payment, it is sent. The person can refund you if they wish or paypal/eBay can claim the money from them but I do not know how that last bit works. In any case, that can only be done if it is a legit transaction and it is done really by eBay, which I do not think it is the case. They do not need your details and if they wanted eBay they should have put it first with a minimum price of what you have said. Fishy fishy...

This is what eBay (US) says:

Quote :

I bought a vehicle on a non-eBay siteā€”is this real or fraudulent?
Scammers are using eBay's name to defraud consumers on non-eBay automotive sites such as Craigslist and other classifieds sites. Here are some common themes in these scams:

* A great deal that sounds too good to pass up
* Seller can't meet in person because of a number of reasons (i.e., they are a soldier in Iraq or they left the vehicle in a "local shipping company")
* Seller claims to have made arrangements with eBay's Vehicle Purchase Protection or Finance Center
* Seller claims eBay will handle the transaction through an escrow service and won't release the money until you're happy with the car
* A fake invoice from "eBay" with instructions to send money to Western Union or MoneyGram
* A fake payment and shipping confirmation email from "eBay"
* These fraudsters sometimes even offer live chat or phone support claiming to be eBay

For the Record, eBay Does NOT:

* Provide any escrow services, other than through eBay's only approved escrow company escrow.com
* Send emails from an "eBay Agent" or "eBay representative"
* Own, buy or sell inventory listed on eBay and eBay Motors
* Have any involvement in the actual transaction
* Send links to chat services through email messages
* Endorse use of Western Union, Money Gram or any instant cash wire transfer services
* Inspect any vehicles (although eBay does link to partners who will perform this service)

See Examples of Fraudulent Emails

* Fake Vehicle Purchase Protection page: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
* Fake second chance offer/VPP invoice: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
* MoneyGram scam email: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
* Fake sob story email: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
* Fake payment instructions: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
* Fake inspection offer email: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Well... for what you have said, you almost tick all the fraudsters alerts they mention :-/

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
X-FACTOR29
Third Nation

PostSubject: Re: **NEED ADVICE ON EBAY TRANSACTION**   Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:52 pm

thanks for all the responses.. its from craigslist btw...
btw its fraud for sure..i wrote back asking questions that lead "her" (prob some fat man in his mom's basement) points to fraud and now they are not responding... Plus one
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: **NEED ADVICE ON EBAY TRANSACTION**   

Back to top Go down

**NEED ADVICE ON EBAY TRANSACTION**

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Entertainment :: Random Chat-
Jump to: