The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

ISSUE #2 BEGINNINGS, final drafts and layouts

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 82

PostSubject: ISSUE #2 BEGINNINGS, final drafts and layouts   Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:31 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Editorial

The Resistance has emerged and so have we! We are here again, this time with an issue on "beginnings", looking at where the paths start and wondering where they would take us. Don't take a wrong turn and stay with us for this issue #2!! On the way, we will be looking at some threads you should check out in this our community, show you a bit of the Global Resistance, then sit down for lunch and discuss economics. After this brief break, we will walk to the lands of Resistance 3, look at its neighbors and think of the ones coming soon. Finally, we will have a cup of coffee, check the solution for the last crossword and hear your comments on a Resistance film. So... what are we waiting for?

Quote :

Introduction to the Six Degrees of MyResistance
Six degrees of separation refers to the idea that everyone is, on average, approximately six steps away from any other person on Earth simply by knowing one of the six people in the chain. It is under this concept I will base a monthly column in which I hope to show you the readers of MRM the many things to do and see while visiting Myresistance.net. My hope is to help introduce everyone to the great community we have. If successful we will all be six degrees from one another inside this community. Me? I think six is an awesome number. I find it a little fitting that in my first attempt at writing of this type we are in an issue looking at new beginnings and what the future might hold.

The Future and All Things are Possible...... Or are they?

Great Scott!
The future. It always comes with a bit of anticipation doesn't it? We as people put a lot of time and thought into something that by the truest standards does not even really exist. I suppose one can argue that it does exist only because we plan for it, thereby setting forth the actions and events that bring said future into being. After all, beginnings always lead to an end. There are a lot of different theories that cover the spectrum, but at the bottom line there are really only two main schools of thought when talking about "the future".

One, that the future is set, each of us having our fate planned and mapped for us by what ever higher power one appoints the task to whether it be FATE itself, God, the stars, or even the flying spaghetti monster. The second being free will or to quote one of my all time favorite movie lines... "The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make ourselves." Philosophers have pondered and debated these two sides for centuries and yet one thing remains certain. Neither side has been proven right or wrong. Personally, I have always believed the latter.

But lets face it. The future, whether set or not set, is not guaranteed. Why should I spend all this time worrying about such matters when tomorrow might not even make it here? How much of right now should I invest into something I might not even see? There are so many things to do, feel, experience and question; and all those things are happening right now! This brings me to another one of my other favorite quotes....
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning."
(Albert Einstein)

Just because the future is not guaranteed it does not mean I can not hope. Maybe, just maybe through this monthly column I can help all of you help one another continue to make this community awesome. Right now. AND for the future.
Now...who has some organic garbage I can stuff into Mr. Fusion?

Your Six Degrees of MyResistance starts..................... now!

Calling All Graphic Artists
You. Yes you. The one with your Gimp hanging out. There is plenty to keep you occupied while visiting MyResistance.net, and in the process you can meet some fellow artists and get involved in the community. Here are just two.

Signature of the Month
Nixon hosts a Signature of the Month Contest in the Southern Command Boards.
It is a monthly contest open to all members in the community who want to duke it out mano e mano for bragging rights as THE creator of the SotM. Why monthly and not weekly?
"Maybe with the increased traffic that might change going forward." Nixon said.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is the official thread. Find out what the current theme is, read up on all entry and voting rules, and get your graphics in the ring!

Graphics Request
Do you find yourself in need of a signature, user bar, or banner? Do you often wake up from a sleep and find yourself drooling on your blur tool? Do you experience feelings of dread in your basement or attic? Oh wait. Wrong theme. Well if you answered yes to the first two questions than stop by the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and ask for or offer to make some graphics. If you answered yes to the last one maybe look into an exorcist.

Community Meet and Greet
New to the forums and would like to introduce yourself? Look no further. Put your face with your name in the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], or see Jizzy and request to add yourself to the growing number of members who have taken on the intense scrutiny of the community in the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Not only is this a great way to broadcast the awesomeness that is you for all in the community to hear and see, it is also a great place to learn about some other community members as well.

NostroDadelous?
Once upon a time silverwolf22 asked a question in the Resistance 3 Boards. Spewing forth from that question is the thread known so intelligently and eloquently titled...[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Join those who predicted, wondered, and you can even still add to this debate. For even more fun, read through the whole thread now that we are post release and point and laugh at all the silly banter that was predicted right, or wrong.
No Morlocks were hurt in the writing of this paragraph.

Today is Yesterday's Tomorrow
One thing is for certain. There can be no future if there was no past. Join Jmw and a few others in the Resistance Fall of Man Boards who like to group up, carb up, and slay down memory lane.
All in the name of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

So here we are. At the end of the column. Or is this the beginning? All this time traveling has left me with a butterfly effect and my flux capacitor is fluxing a headache the size of the space time continuum.
I think to close I will stick with my last and final favorite quote when talking about the passing of time.
"Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end."

Have a thread, event, or MyRes activity you want to see here? Send me a pm with a link to your topic, site, or fan art/fiction. After full reviews and approval of content, we can have you one notch further into the six degrees of Myresistance.

By now many of us are familiar with the Resistance universe: we have fond memories of the Playstation 3 games Resistance: Fall of Man and Resistance 2 and we have taken the fight with us on the Playstation Portable game Resistance: Retribution. We have come to know the Chimeran threat in all its forms and we have grown to love the arsenal of weapons at our disposal. We fight our way through the trenches with our trusty Carbines in a war that it seems we cannot win. With the launch of the new MyResistance forums and the nearing release of Resistance 3 we now have another way to wage war in the Resistance universe, but it’s not like anything we’ve been offered so far.

Global Resistance is not found on either the PS3 or the PSP: it’s found by clicking on a tab at MyResistance.net. This browser game has a number of ways to keep players busy and it has a number of rewards that players can use when Resistance 3 is released after linking their MyResistance accounts with their Playstation Network accounts. We are no longer the soldiers on foot. We are the commanders with troops and ways to protect ours and to kill the enemy’s. It’s very different from how we’ve been fighting the war so far.

As commanders we have the world map before us, divided into several regions. If our team has control of the region or one adjacent to it we are given the option to deploy four things: troops, bombs, bunkers or bunker busters. Individual commanders decide where they put their own resources either independently or by co-operating with other commanders through the Global Resistance boards (http://www.myresistance.net/community/index.php?board=5.0). Deploying troops helps a team gain or keep control of a region and they try to kill enemy troops in the region. Commanders can also kill enemy troops by using bombs, protect their team’s troops by deploying bunkers and destroy the bunkers by using bunker busters. Commanders must deploy their resources often and make sure they have a constant supply of new resources coming in.

One way to get more resources is to do territory missions. While a variety of resources are needed to do these territory missions Command Points become one of the main determining factors when it comes to how many territory missions can be done, especially at higher levels. Territory missions require Command Points along with time and any combination of money/biomass, troops, bombs/spires, bunkers/shields and bunker busters and can give any of those resources in return as well as experience. Other rewards include affecting the region the territory mission is in such as killing a percentage of enemy troops in the region or destroying enemy bunkers or shields. Some of these missions can be very rewarding especially if commanders are looking for more of a particular resource: “splitting” missions take one unit of a resource and give more of the same. Investing one bomb and receiving five can be a very good investment, especially when the mission requires only small amounts of other resources.

A more regular supply of resources can be obtained by building up a base. Bases not only resupply commanders with resources but also increase the amounts of certain resources or even the rate at which they can be made. Most commanders will have a variety of buildings but some specialize and have more of some buildings than of others. Commanders can also create buildings that increase the rate they can build and upgrade other buildings and build an intel tower/scanner spire that gives them more information about their Skirmish opponents. There’s a building for everyone and having the right assortment of buildings can turn the tide of battle in a region.

Commanders can also directly challenge each other through the Skirmish menu. Players choose any combination of attacks and whoever does the most damage wins. It’s a bit like a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors except there are five options instead of three. One option will win over two options and be defeated by the remaining two. If players want to try getting an advantage over their opponents they can build an intel tower/scanner spire which shows how often an opponent chose a particular attack. A stalemate gives both players a mere 10 XP while winning brings satisfaction and a nice experience and money reward depending on how much the winner was able to damage his opponent.

Global Resistance is definitely giving us a new way to experience the Resistance universe but there are still kinks to work out since it’s still a beta. Players are giving feedback and the developers are listening and that’s very encouraging. As players help identify problems we can hope that Global Resistance will become a game to play long after we have collected all those Accolades and unlocked that Test Dummy skin. It’s a way to fight the war anywhere we want so long as we can open up a web browser. There’s only one question left:

Will you fight with the Resistance or crush it?

Bad Business Models
And what you can do about them.

In the last several years gaming has grown. More people play games now than at any time in history. It's gone from being a children's diversion to the most sophisticated technology in the entertainment industry. There can be no argument that gaming is bigger than it has ever been.
But that's not altogether a good thing. As gaming has become more profitable, it's suffered from the same problems as many other industries. It is a business, yes. But now there are more that see it only as a business. The industry has become dominated by those who are only in it to make money. And that comes at our expense in more ways than one. Let's look at a few of the bad business practices that are infesting gaming today.

Shovelware
Particularly prevalent on the Nintendo Wii, shovelware is what you get when companies throw out as many games as they can that provide as little as possible to cut expense and maximize profit. Usually low quality ports of other consoles' games, or quick attempts to cash in on momentarily popular movies, shows, or anything else, as long as it's cheap to make and get out the door.

Rapid Release Titles
Perhaps the biggest offender here is Activision's Call of Duty franchise, with a new title released yearly. Activision tends to keep two developers working on the franchise and alternating releasing titles. This way they can keep coming out with titles yearly, and spending the bare minimum of two years on development. The results are badly broken gameplay experiences that can last for months from release, if they ever do get fixed at all.

Gutting Games for Profit
It was bad enough when this was confined to simply holding out parts of the games to be released as DLC for an additional cost. Now it has spread and gotten worse as publishers are taking things from the game to be given only to people who preorder at specific retailers. LA Noire is a prime example. Numerous different missions and associated content were withheld, meaning if you wanted it all on launch, then you would have to preorder the game from several different places. It was eventually put up for sale as DLC months later.
But even that's not as bad as EA's recent attempt to give preordering players permanently exclusive weapons and accessories in the upcoming Battlefield 3's online multiplayer. Only a massive outcry from the gaming community stopped them.

On a similar note, we have the PSN Pass or Project $10, which won't let you play online without an additional investment unless you buy the game new. My initial reaction to this was very negative. However, having given it some thought I'm now torn because the arguments for and against it both have merit.
On the one hand, I understand that it takes money to keep servers running. They're providing a service, and do deserve some compensation. I also understand that the used game business is starting to really cut into profits for them.
But on the other hand, games are still quite profitable. In fact, they've never needed additional compensation before when they were making less. The profit from selling the game and from any DLCs has always been more than enough to cover the time the servers are up. Games have gotten more expensive to make, but they've also raised the prices accordingly.
If the used games business is cutting into their profits, then it's the publisher's own fault. By releasing shorter, easier games with less content and heavily targeting the growing casual market, they've assured that more games are going to be traded in. Since used games are cheaper, and the discs themselves will have seen very little use, it makes more sense for the consumer to buy a new quality product for less. The only way to make people buy new is to partake in these other shady practices.
Though they are still providing the service of running the servers, it feels more like publishers trying to dig their way out of the mess they made. And the only exit is through our wallets.

Pay to Win
EA's aforementioned abomination was the first real hint of this that we've seen on consoles. However, another big blowup recently occurred in the EVE Online PC game. CCP, the game's developer, recently had some internal documents leak that strongly suggested plans to unveil what came to be called "Gold Ammo". That is, the ability to use real money to buy your way out of a bad situation, or into a position of superiority, in ways you simply could not manage in the course of the game. Things like this throw all sense of balance and fair play out the window, giving victory to those with the deepest pockets.
The outrage from the EVE community was enormous. Protests ranged from actual in game rioting to about $1M worth of cancelled subscriptions. It was enough to get CCP's attention, and they ended up having the game's Council of Stellar Management (a player-elected council to represent the views of the players to CCP) flown to the head office in Iceland in an effort "to help us define and address the real underlying concerns, and to assist us in defining and iterating on our virtual goods strategy." said Arnar Hrafn Gylfason, Senior Producer of EVE Online. The result was a claim that the leaked info was taken out of context, and that there never were plans for Pay to Win. Many remain skeptical.

Overpriced DLC
And we return now to Activision's CoD series and take a look at Black Ops. To date, three map packs have been released, each one containing four multiplayer maps and one zombies map. A fourth map pack, all Zombies maps (4 remakes of WaW's zombie maps and 1 new one) has also been announced. At $15 USD per pack, the total price comes to $60 USD. The initial cost of the game is $60 USD, and that included the single player game, 14 multiplayer maps, and two zombies maps. That raises the question, if you got all that for $60, then is 12 maps and 8 zombies maps really worth double the initial purchase price? Especially considering it's entirely digitally distributed, meaning there are no packaging, shipping, or even physical production costs. For those keeping track, that's $120 USD you'll be paying to get all the Black Ops content out there.
It's also worth noting that another popular franchise, Halo, includes in their games a "Forge Mode" which allows the players to create their own maps all for free.

Sadly, this isn't a full list of all the business practices we could certainly live without. But the important thing is that all the things we want to get rid of share the same solutions. You have few weapons in this fight, so make the most of each one.

Education
Many people just don't know why these business models are bad, especially the booming causal market which is largely responsible for their creation and propagation by buying into them. Talk to them. Help these newcomers and you help us all. Spread the word not to support these business models wherever they crop up. Tell them why it's bad, and take the time to explain that as long as we keep supporting the publishers that do these things, the worse they are going to get.

Abstain from Buying
This is our most potent weapon, but it hurts us almost as much as it does them. It's a part of our culture, and a well ingrained desire, to buy the newest game. To rush out and pick up our favorite series' latest installment. These publishers are taking advantage of that and trying to milk it for profit. As much as it hurts, as much as you don't want to miss out on that special preorder bonus or "free" DLC, do not buy games that are doing these things. At the very least, do not preorder or buy from retailers that assist in the gutting of our games. Angry rants and sincere complaints all go for nothing if you're still handing over your money.

Donate
You might ask, "Why should the developers suffer for their publisher's decisions?" And I would say, "They shouldn't." Time to put your money where your mouth is. Donate to the developers you want to support, preferably with a message as to why you're doing it. You think Battlefield's great? Wonderful! Send money to DICE. Leave EA out of it. You love IG? Help show them that they don't have to be under Sony's yoke. Donating sends two messages. To the Devs it says, "We care about you." To the publishers it says, "Look at all the money you're not getting."

The industry has changed for the worse, but that doesn't mean it can't be changed again for the better. And change is coming. The only question is whether it will be the change we want, or one that takes us further down the wrong path? Your only hope for the former is to use each of the weapons you have to their fullest effect wherever possible.
It won't happen overnight.
It won't happen without sacrifice.
But it will happen.

Tales from The Wrong Side: To Cod be the glory!

This autumn sees the phased release of a number of big ticket FPS titles. Let's take three: In September we get the long-awaited Resistance 3. October sees the eleventh (not counting expansion packs) title in the Battlefield franchise, Battlefield 3. And then in November Activision continues its annual cycle of die stamping another game in its Call of Duty franchise with Modern Warfare 3.

With three class-based shooters coming out in rapid succession one could be forgiven for thinking of the rows and rows of cans on the supermarket shelf in the movie Repo Man: every single can came in a plain white label bearing the single word FOOD in bold type. Are we in danger of ending up with rows and rows of boxes in game stores all saying "Game: FPS" on the cover? To COD be the glory! But why the seeming drive to ape COD? Because fish sells. It sells by the Costco-central-distribution-sized warehouse load. MW2 alone generated first day sales of $310 million. Given that, it's easy to imagine some senior representative from the game producers phoning up the developers and saying "Your next game? Yeah, we love it. By all means make it great, and and keep that unique individual vibe you've got going on, but make it like COD. Do what you do best, but make sure it's like COD."

And so what about R3? Is it COD with aliens as some have been suggesting lately? What about its 'abilities' and 'berserks', aren't these just perks and kill streak rewards in another wrapper? Before we consider the game's details we have to remember that this is Insomniac and Insomniac don't just do games, they do game/community packages. R:FoM had the original MyResistance.net which not only provided a themed forum to talk about the game but which also integrated game and community by offering a stats page and a mechanism for unlocking special skins and uniform attachments that could be accessed in-game. A few months after R2 came out with its more high-tech look MyRes 2.0 was launched with its attempt to strengthen the game-community integration with its more sophisticated stats reporting and closer links to PSN friends lists. Unfortunately, whereas R:FoM and MyRes 1.0 both had a huge fan base, a lot of players' expectations were not met by the second instalments of the game/forum package. IG were much more tight lipped about the franchise's future. Announcements of R3 were few, but once it was known the game was coming, speculation arose about the future of the forum. Spirits rose when it was revealed that IG were dropping the Lithium forum software of MyRes 2.0 and going back to SMF for MyRes 3. If IG were taking the forum back to its roots, what about the game?

New game. New web site. New integration between game and web site with Global Resistance, a worldwide multiplayer board game in which you unlock DLC for R3. This is all very IG. The game itself is only part of the package. We play the game. We talk about the game on the forum and the forum gives us extra goodies for the game, and all for free. Having wandered in the wilderness for two years the Resistance community is coming together again, the hordes massing to fight the onslaught of COD. Certainly, IG has played this one much more carefully than the last time a game and web site were launched. MyRes 3 is streets ahead of its predecessor. Gameplay footage released from the beta (see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and IG's own Full Moon Show podcast suggest that R3 has also been much more thoughtfully put together than its predecessor. Certainly the community aspects are already looking healthy despite MyRes 3 currently being restricted to Facebook login. The Global Resistance game to unlock DLC is a clever move and makes a strong bond between game, community, and developer (for which IG was rightfully applauded with R:FoM and MyRes 1). So strong, was the original bond, in fact, that long after they stopped playing R:FoM and moved on to other games, many users still made MyRes their primary online community.

So, the '3' package (R3, MyRes 3, and Global Resistance) offers us a lot of hope. But it is not all sunshine and roses, there are some grey clouds on the horizon. Ultimately, and regardless of the integration between game and web site, the cornerstone of this arrangement, the thing that generates the revenue, is the game itself. And it is here where we can see some storm clouds brewing. One of the first things to raise the ire of many fans was the announcement that custom games would not be supported by central server lists. If you want to play a custom game in R3 you will have to be invited or join your PSN friends in one. Gone are the days of browsing for an unranked game and playing with strangers. On the face of it this is an odd move as nothing makes game/community integration easier than server lists of custom games. Think of R:FoM's "Save a Newbie" program, or R2's "Aftermath Mondays". Is this the game breaker that some are predicting? Well, I don't think so, but it will be interesting to see whether this issue is revisited in the post-release patches.

Secondly, game footage reveals a graphical and animation style that is not as sophisticated and polished as those of COD and some other FPS. In an age where COD, Killzone, and Battlefield show how to do rich, solid, well-rendered motion capture, one does wonder how games that do not step up to this mark will fare in the long run (just look at Bulletstorm).

Third, is the COD factor. R3 has been accused of trying to ape COD by having customisable loadouts in which abilities (perks) can mixed and matched and kill streak rewards await those who manage to stay alive. But if you look at the way this game plays, you soon see that these resemblances to COD are purely superficial. It's almost as if IG received that call from Sony telling them to make a unique game that looks like COD and managed to deliver. You want perks? Okay, here's a very limited collection of abilities that can be used in a few narrow combinations. You want kill streak rewards? Okay, how about a small set of short-lived treats, the same ones for everybody, and none of which causes those annoying death-from-the-sky COD kill streak moments? I think IG have been a bit clever here. They have taken some features from COD and have morphed them into something different something altogether more Resistance-like. Add in the excellent forum community and the game integration with the release of R3 DLC codes for achievements in the Gobal Resistance game and I think that IG have, once again, been ploughing their own unique furrow in the competitive FPS world. To COD be the glory? Maybe. Is R3 just COD with aliens? Some would say so, but even if it is, it's COD moving in a mysterious way. Game on.

[/color]

With Resistance 3 now out, as well as the fall season's yearly kick off of new game releases, comes not just dread for one's wallet but also dread for the developers to see who they are competing against for what they hope will make them a continued presence on the market.

And it is no secret that Resistance 3 has some seriously stiff competition coming up, especially when you have to consider the expenditure, game length, online support and game life term.

While it has pretty much got the month of September locked in of its own accord with only Dead Island, and Warhammer 40K: Space marine to compete with in that month, prior to it is the release of Deus Ex: Human evolution, after, it will have to compete with survival horror Silent Hill: Downpour, Rage, Twisted Metal, The Darkness 2, Batman: Arkham City and Battlefield 3 in October.

In November you've got Uncharted 3, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

Let us first take a look at Resistance's History.

Resistance: Fall of Man, while a great release title, received an average score of 86 out of 100. The game functioned well and the story and setting were"New", for lack of a better description; a World War with Aliens was what I first
thought when I saw it and that hooked me. Resistance 2 received a lot of praise from "Specialized Critics", whatever that means, but many of the fans were not happy with it and felt that the online support wasn't there as well as numerous unnecessary changes. There were many complaint threads. For myself I felt lost half the time on the campaign and didn't know what was missing, mostly the history for myself: to go from Iceland to 2 years later without being filled in as to what the f*** happened. Now we come to Resistance 3. Insomniac says that they have learned from the previous instalment, and I honestly hope they have.

Now let us take a quick look at the top upcoming games that could detract from Resistance 3's life time or purchase count.

Deus Ex: Human Revolutions is the third in the successful Deus Ex games which received continuous praise for the first game (including "Game of the Year" awards and "Best PC Game of all time" ...Imagine Kayne West at the next Game Awards) while its sequel Invisible War, received less. While Deus Ex is eagerly anticipated by PC Gamers, there are a lot of nerds who use consoles out there who want this one, myself included.

Battlefield 3 is the 11th game in the Battlefield franchise. This game is further made anticipated with the previous instalments of the Battlefield: Bad Company games that were a success; mostly due to their online sections, more so than their single player sections. I wouldn't know myself because EA hates me and it won't let me connect to their servers. But that's a rant for another time. While the game itself doesn't have to compete with Resistance 3 in terms of story or online content in my opinion, it does in the opinion of a vast majority of others. That fear could help in detracting from Resistance 3's online mode by taking players from it. Especially those who fear a return of the online
support witnessed in Resistance 2.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.
You cannot argue the potential for this game's success, especially when you consider the success of the previous Modern Warfare Instalments to the Call of Duty Franchise. [/color]Ever since the first, any game with Modern Warfare on the box has been a commercial winner. If this game went into its average audience's house and murdered their
family, kicked their dog and swung their cat in circles by the tail they would still play it and defend it against all other games because it is highly acclaimed online. And that's just the average person not the average gamer. In the local GameStop the conversation revolves not around the story or the other great games that are coming out but this game. This is what Resistance's online has to deal with. Not just with the "True Gamers" but also with the "General Population"

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
Extremely popular series that has wowed people for years is now updated and modernised with dual wield face stabbing goodness, among other things...but who cares about those Dragons and exploration and addictive gameplay over a vast map with epic and various quests and monsters and species and character creation and tonnes of stuff to do, all updated. Dual wield face stabbing goodness. That's all I need to know. I'm a man of simple tastes.

These games are the ones that I see to be a threat to Resistance 3 life time on the Playstation 3; not only for popularity but for value for money, for some who would be looking for depth and length in the single player campaign. Many people can't argue with the game length from the Elder Scrolls games and Deus Ex could be another game that could go longer than 20 hours.
[color=white]While Modern Warfare may have the market at 80% lock for "casual gamers" it's the long time gamers or the ones that grew up on games before online consoles were mainstream, The Hipsters of Gamers, that are looking for single player games that take more than 2-4 hours to beat for their money. Resistance 3 is saying that the campaign will be better, that has me thinking that not only will it be a better story than the previous instalment but possibly as long if not longer than the first. Here's hoping.

Now, while I myself (a general idiot that buys anything with a shiny new package) will be getting all of the above; I will not be getting Battlefield...f****** EA servers not letting me join in the games... just you wait, I'll be the red nose reindeer one day and you know what I'll say when you ask me to guide your sleigh? F*** YOU!. Resistance 3 is on my list because I don't like leaving 1 and 2 alone on my shelf, because my OCD takes over and compels me to buy it (as well as being a fan of the series) however, I am not sure of how long I will play it for once I get those other games that are released a month or so later, especially Batman... because everyone wants to be The effing Batman and walk around town and go "I'm Batman" to a bunch of 12-16 year old that look like thugs and scare you because they are teenagers....

So what it comes down too, who will buy the game in times of economic turmoil in which we are all be more careful with the money we spend and what we spend it on, do we spend it on what we seen before or what we hope it to be?

Last issue we asked you about your thoughts on a possible Resistance movie and we are pleased to say we received many comments form the community. Here is what you thought:

Laelaps wrote:

A Resistance movie? As a fan of the series, of course I think it would be a good idea, so long as the producer finds actors who are truly invested in their roles. Any sci-fi movie has the potential to be exciting and thought-provoking like District 9 or Super 8, but it also has the potential to be cheesy and downright boring like Battle: L.A. (The movie had a few intense actions scenes, but the performances suffered from such a dearth in believable emotion that some parts were hard to watch.) If a Resistance film were to be made, I would want it to turn out like the former. This might entail the development of an original plot arc just for the movie, or the decision to focus solely on the events of R3, which I think would make much more sense in "movie form" than the events of the previous two games. R3's story, which reportedly tracks Capelli's journey from Haven, Oklahoma to New York City, would make a far more inspiring plot than Hale's journey, as told in R:FoM and R2. The decision to leave his family, the potential futility of his goal, and the drive to save the human race could all become part of a truly inspirational plot if the actor portraying Capelli were good enough.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

At least at this point in my life, I am almost as afraid of another awful game-to-movie adaptation as I am afraid of a Cactus Dildo Surprise. Even Dungeons and Dragons couldn't get a movie right...although maybe it's because Marlon Wayans is in it. If gaming products with literally endless source material can't get it done, I can't feel confident about a video game with much, much less. Unless someone like Kojima can make a product like Metal Gear not suck on movies, I'd hate to see yet another franchise I love get sodomized before my very eyes.

- A. Gamer

Cloveneer wrote:
well from past experiences most movies based on games r a bit unsatisfying but from what i have seen of the real action trailer it could be cool
burrito_tester wrote:
I think it would be a great idea! But definently not any animated trash...
Mest wrote:
Hello.

To be honest i really like that idea because as a resistance fan a movie about resistance would be a blast but it needs to be well done of course. My sugestion is, stick to the story of resistance:the game(some changes can be done but not so many) because the resistance story is very well done and a movie about that would be really nice

movie sounds good to me .
out of all games that could be movies this would have the best plat form to luanch
i think .

Toy_Robot wrote:

I think they could really do some neat stuff with a Resistance movie.
The question is, would you rather have it be more military or civilian
focused?

TheLastNinja wrote:

I'd definitely like a Resistance movie to be made. Unfortunately, knowing the
movie industry, they'd probably screw up a lot of things, probably make Parker
Hale's love interest or something stupid like that. >_<

If it were
to be made, I'd like the atmosphere to be like FoM. Grim and desperate, no
Hollywood-Hooah crap. I think it should start with the Tunguska event and the
events that unfold behind the Red Curtain. Perhaps dive a little bit into the
Cloven. Europe falling to the Chimera should be in it too. I'm not sure if I
would want Project Abraham included.

Surge wrote:

For me I love movies but some video game movies are horrible because of their story (mainly their story) Aslong as the Resistance film has good story (like games) lots of action and a sprinkle of horror, It will be one hell of a good movie.
P.S. No Battle of LA ripoff please.

DarkRebel wrote:

Okay I'll give this a shot.

In general when it comes to turning video games into movie adaptations, I'm not sure it will always turn out as great as you think it may. While initially the concept might sound great, there are some reasons for concern and some reasons it could ultimately fail. First off, I'm a
huge fan of the Resistance series and absolutely love the games and it's story.

For me part of what makes a great video game like Resistance is the characters that are created and the people behind those characters who actually do the voice work. Those are the people that give the characters life on the screen and burn them in our memories. It's really hard to image someone else trying to portray Nathan Hale like David Kaye or Solid Snake like David Hayter. We've become some ingrained with their voices that someone else trying to take on their roles just wouldn't seem right. That's not to say that some of
those characters couldn't actually play their own respective roles in a movie, but in general I don't think it's feasible with the entire cast. That may be why we see more movies made into games rather than the other way around because it's much easier to have a game mimic the movie and to create characters that match along with the same voice actors.

Another thing to consider is that unless the game is really story driven from start to finish, there may be a lot of gaps that will need to be filled from the movie writers and directors so it keeps in line with the game. It can certainly be done, but I think a close collaboration between the two is a must. To make a successful Resistance movie, we would need the complete story including what really happened prior to Resistance Fall of Man in terms of the Chimeran rise continuing through Resistance 3 and whether or not the third installment of the game really completes the series or if there is more to be told. There is a lot more to creating an entertaining story line that is needed for a successful movie than just merely taking gamers from one action sequence to the next.

Finally there is always the budget issue and who is willing to take on the risk of turning a video game into a successful blockbuster adaptation at the theater. Unless the story is insanely awesome and can be easily adapted from the game to the big screen, it's probably going to be a tough sell in Hollywood. With that being said, I would absolutely love to see a Resistance movie at some point providing it really makes sense and can be done correctly. Otherwise I'll just settle for the great series we all love on our consoles.

[SMALL PARAGRAPH ASKING FOR COMMENTS ON SOMETHING ABOUT RESISTANCE 3 GOES HERE, for example, what is your favourite spot in multiplayer or what's your iconic sentence in R3 (in the same way that "it's been an honour" in R2 or any other). we should avoid anything about campaign because of spoilers and anything like what do you think about X because of trolling. Comments on your "favourite whatever" will be positive. Our email: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Seyel on Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:01 pm; edited 10 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation

Nation Reputation : 100

PostSubject: Re: ISSUE #2 BEGINNINGS, final drafts and layouts   Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:23 am

Liam will have to change his since R3 is here now, not around the corner anymore.

Looking good Sey. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: ISSUE #2 BEGINNINGS, final drafts and layouts   Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:40 am

Yeah, etw also have to change a few things. I am really sorry the delays gave you more work, I know it is not fair and I will make sure we do not have the same problems again. Whether it is by getting more people to work on this or asking for contributors for one-offs if we are stuck.

Thanks Az, I would like to get it ready to post in a few days, then work on the issuu if it cannot be done at the same time.

Anyone fancies writing something on first impressions for R3?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 111

PostSubject: Re: ISSUE #2 BEGINNINGS, final drafts and layouts   Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:12 pm

Apart from the choppiness and framerate issues, you mean?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: ISSUE #2 BEGINNINGS, final drafts and layouts   Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:01 pm

Lol, yes, if possible Razz

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation

PostSubject: Re: ISSUE #2 BEGINNINGS, final drafts and layouts   Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:12 pm

I can't write anything on R3 if it requires me owning a copy. So don't look at me. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: ISSUE #2 BEGINNINGS, final drafts and layouts   Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:04 am

I've changed my Article under your post there Sey if you wanna have a look see how it reads now.

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: ISSUE #2 BEGINNINGS, final drafts and layouts   Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:50 am

Liam, when you say "your post there", do you mean the OP of this thread? scratch There is some color code there I need to remove too.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: ISSUE #2 BEGINNINGS, final drafts and layouts   Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:19 am

I do indeed mean the OP of this thread.

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation

PostSubject: Re: ISSUE #2 BEGINNINGS, final drafts and layouts   Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:59 pm

Not meaning to appear rude or impatient but how's this doing?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 203

PostSubject: Re: ISSUE #2 BEGINNINGS, final drafts and layouts   Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:29 pm

Well, I know we've got the articles.
Do we have all the graphics sorted?
Is is just the Issu we're waiting on? If so, we might want to put that on the back burner and just post all the articles in text.
Thinking

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: ISSUE #2 BEGINNINGS, final drafts and layouts   Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:49 am

We are waiting for:

1. the banners for the articles.
2. the changes in articles that have gone a bit out of date. I think etw needed to tweak his a bit.
3. The change in the cover (beginings > beginnings)

Forget the issuu in the meantime, I think the most important is to put something up. If the thread is up, we can add the issuu at any point. And once the articles are finished, the issuu is straightforward.

Should we look for more people for graphics? It might be too much for banded and FoG had rl issues to look after.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: ISSUE #2 BEGINNINGS, final drafts and layouts   Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:28 am

I think it wouldn't hurt.
Az, B, and Flight all have had troubles. The more people we have on hand for graphics, the better, I think.

How are your article revisions, Doc?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation

PostSubject: Re: ISSUE #2 BEGINNINGS, final drafts and layouts   Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:58 pm

I'm good for layout inputs but if you want me to actually make something that's different. Sad

I think my issue is that for the longest time what "graphics" meant to me isn't the same as what most people mean when the use it.

Maybe we could just use text for this month and get the articles out. We've been sitting on them for a while now but that's just how things went this month.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: ISSUE #2 BEGINNINGS, final drafts and layouts   Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:01 pm

Right. Can ALL of you please post here if your article is ready to go?
I'll work on them these next three days and get it down by Sunday no matter what. Whatever is finished, goes.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: ISSUE #2 BEGINNINGS, final drafts and layouts   Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:16 pm

Mine's done.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 111

PostSubject: Re: ISSUE #2 BEGINNINGS, final drafts and layouts   Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:59 pm

Okay, mine's done. See post 2 in [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation

PostSubject: Re: ISSUE #2 BEGINNINGS, final drafts and layouts   Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:10 pm

My article is done. What you see in the OP (not in spoilers) should be good to go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 167

PostSubject: Re: ISSUE #2 BEGINNINGS, final drafts and layouts   Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:34 pm

Mines good. If you want them moved into the MyRes thread with out banners let me know?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: ISSUE #2 BEGINNINGS, final drafts and layouts   Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:37 am

Liam, what about yours?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: ISSUE #2 BEGINNINGS, final drafts and layouts   Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:16 am

Mine is ready as per the OP of this thread.

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: ISSUE #2 BEGINNINGS, final drafts and layouts   Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:12 am

Please correct this:

Quote :

Editorial

The Resistance has emerged and so have we! We are here again, this time with an issue on "beginnings", looking at where the paths start and wondering where they would take us. Don't take a wrong turn and stay with us for this issue #2!! In the way, we will be looking at some threads you should check out in this our community, we will show you a bit of the Global Resistance, then we will sit down for lunch and discuss about economics. After this brief brake, we will walk to the lands of Resistance 3, we will look at its neighbours and we will think of the ones coming soon. Finally, we will have a cup of coffee, check the solution for the last crossword and hear your comments of a Resistance film. So... what are we waiting for? Come, this way!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: ISSUE #2 BEGINNINGS, final drafts and layouts   Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:32 am

Banner:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: ISSUE #2 BEGINNINGS, final drafts and layouts   Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:39 am

Please correct this:

Quote :

Editorial

The Resistance has emerged and so have we! We are here again, this time with an issue on "beginnings", looking at where the paths start and wondering where they would take us. Don't take a wrong turn and stay with us for this issue #2!! On the way, we will be looking at some threads you should check out in this our community, show you a bit of the Global Resistance, then sit down for lunch and discuss economics. After this brief break, we will walk to the lands of Resistance 3, look at its neighbors and think of the ones coming soon. Finally, we will have a cup of coffee, check the solution for the last crossword and hear your comments on a Resistance film. So... what are we waiting for? Come, this way!

Changed "In the way" to "On the way".
Removed the word "about" before economics.
Corrected "brake" to its proper homophone "break".
Spell check alters the word neighbors to the American version, but I imagine the way you wrote it is fine.
Changed "of a film" to "on a film".
Removed a lot of the "we will"s in there. After the first one it becomes implied, I believe.

The last sentence is dependent on how you're saying it. Maybe it's just me, but it seems a bit awkward. I'd take it out, or replace it with "Let's get started!" or something similar.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: ISSUE #2 BEGINNINGS, final drafts and layouts   Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:46 am

Link to black eyed peas song maybe?

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ISSUE #2 BEGINNINGS, final drafts and layouts   

Back to top Go down

ISSUE #2 BEGINNINGS, final drafts and layouts

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Entertainment :: Random Chat-