The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

Random Chat | All pointless post are welcome

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Daniel
Fifth Nation

Nation Reputation : 9

PostSubject: Re: Random Chat | All pointless post are welcome   Sun May 13, 2012 7:52 am

I have a 1000 word Classics essay on the transition from black- to red-figure vases in Ancient Greece. I started around 9pm. It's 1pm and I've found myself 500 words in and playing Runescape.

I must be really good at procrastinating Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cel
13th Nation

Nation Reputation : 61

PostSubject: Re: Random Chat | All pointless post are welcome   Sun May 13, 2012 8:50 am

Black to Red figured vases?Huh? scratch

Good times last night,Jolli and Ratchy. Kiss
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Random Chat | All pointless post are welcome   Sun May 13, 2012 10:16 am

Indeed. The amount of GIFs...was quite epic. Shocked
Back to top Go down
jolli
Ninth Nation

Nation Reputation : 48

PostSubject: Re: Random Chat | All pointless post are welcome   Sun May 13, 2012 10:17 am

the gif off was indeed legendary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Random Chat | All pointless post are welcome   Sun May 13, 2012 10:29 am

Or perhaps...it is just the beginning?

Back to top Go down
jolli
Ninth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Random Chat | All pointless post are welcome   Sun May 13, 2012 10:31 am

Perhaps..
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dingo
Ninth Nation

Nation Reputation : 42

PostSubject: Re: Random Chat | All pointless post are welcome   Sun May 13, 2012 10:32 am

To end all of this me will give you this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jolli
Ninth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Random Chat | All pointless post are welcome   Sun May 13, 2012 10:36 am

I had to put my whole hand there.. I cant write probarly anymore..

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Daniel
Fifth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Random Chat | All pointless post are welcome   Sun May 13, 2012 12:58 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Black to Red figured vases?Huh? scratch

Exactly - and 1000 words on that Laughing
They're two different techniques to vase-painting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cel
13th Nation

PostSubject: Re: Random Chat | All pointless post are welcome   Sun May 13, 2012 1:38 pm

Hold the F up!!
Was there a GIF war and I wasn't invited?Shucks guys.. Sad

Daniel-Interesting.Is there some significance in each color?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation

Nation Reputation : 100

PostSubject: Re: Random Chat | All pointless post are welcome   Sun May 13, 2012 2:09 pm

1000 words isn't that much... isn't that like two or three pages double spaced?

Embarassed Sorry. One time I wrote 1300 words or so in an hour. Wasn't a school essay though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cel
13th Nation

PostSubject: Re: Random Chat | All pointless post are welcome   Sun May 13, 2012 2:15 pm

Maybe to Daniel it seems like it because of the subject. Ancient Greece is amazing to study.However the thought of doing an essay even if it was just a paragraph long on Vases?...Is painful.
I was just curious as to why if any does the color make.What does it mean?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation

PostSubject: Re: Random Chat | All pointless post are welcome   Sun May 13, 2012 2:28 pm

English AP exam topics SUCK. This Greek vase thing actually sounds interesting.

There are tons of vases in the British Museum...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jolli
Ninth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Random Chat | All pointless post are welcome   Sun May 13, 2012 3:39 pm

Just saw the avengers for the second time, and its still awesome, I continue to giggle like a school girl after its over Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rrwatch
Seventh Nation

Nation Reputation : 63

PostSubject: Re: Random Chat | All pointless post are welcome   Sun May 13, 2012 3:40 pm

Maybe to Daniel it seems like it because of the subject. Ancient Greece is amazing to study.However the thought of doing an essay even if it was just a paragraph long on Vases?...Is painful.
I was just curious as to why if any does the color make.What does it mean?

Why I could do 200 words alone on the proper pronunciation of Vase . Vayyz or Vahhz ?? Dried flowers or fresh flowers ? add 100 more words, Flowers planted in soil or left in water 100 more... "If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jolli
Ninth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Random Chat | All pointless post are welcome   Sun May 13, 2012 3:45 pm

The secret is to drag it out like so;

"the transition from black- to red-figure vases in Ancient Greece, why do I think the greeks changed their figure-vases from black to red, it is an intresting thought of why greeks transitioned from black to red figure-vases. Now I will tell you why greece changed their vases from black to red."

See ? Tons of words all ready and I havent said a damn thing
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Random Chat | All pointless post are welcome   Sun May 13, 2012 3:51 pm

Using phrases such as "I think" or "I believe" tend to devalue essays. I know my English teacher gave me hell the one time I accidentally put it in my own paper a couple of years ago.
Back to top Go down
rrwatch
Seventh Nation

Nation Reputation : 63

PostSubject: Re: Random Chat | All pointless post are welcome   Sun May 13, 2012 4:15 pm

RatchetH22 wrote:
Using phrases such as "I think" or "I believe" tend to devalue essays. I know my English teacher gave me hell the one time I accidentally put it in my own paper a couple of years ago.

" most experts believe " or "commonly thought" or "the pervasive belief " would work ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation

PostSubject: Re: Random Chat | All pointless post are welcome   Sun May 13, 2012 4:20 pm

Only if you back it up with evidence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jolli
Ninth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Random Chat | All pointless post are welcome   Sun May 13, 2012 4:22 pm

RatchetH22 wrote:

" most experts believe " or "commonly thought" or "the pervasive belief " would work ?

I usually use this and it seems to work..
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Random Chat | All pointless post are welcome   Sun May 13, 2012 4:24 pm

@Azira wrote:

This. If you don't provide evidence, your paper will be eaten alive.
Back to top Go down
jolli
Ninth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Random Chat | All pointless post are welcome   Sun May 13, 2012 4:27 pm

RatchetH22 wrote:

Well if you are pulling something straight out of your butt, then what, really and honestly do you think is gonna happen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation

PostSubject: Re: Random Chat | All pointless post are welcome   Sun May 13, 2012 4:33 pm

jolli-timer wrote:
RatchetH22 wrote:

Well if you are pulling something straight out of your butt, then what, really and honestly do you think is gonna happen.

As long as you back it up with evidence, you can say pretty much whatever you want in most cases. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jolli
Ninth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Random Chat | All pointless post are welcome   Sun May 13, 2012 4:35 pm

jolli-timer wrote:
RatchetH22 wrote:

As long as you back it up with evidence, you can say pretty much whatever you want in most cases. Laughing
This. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Daniel
Fifth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Random Chat | All pointless post are welcome   Sun May 13, 2012 4:47 pm

It's pretty interesting, I just can't do the essay because I have the attention span of a goldfish with ADH- OMFG SHINY LOOK AT THE SHINY THING!!!!!! You can liken black-figure vases to colouring (with a crayon) a piece of paper. You draw the silhouette and then etch out details (like eyes, hair lines etc).

Red-Figure can be compared to outlining the character on a piece of paper, filling in the background and then adding detail.
These are both sides of the same vase. The one with black people is (obviously) Black Figure while the other side is Red-Figure. The parts of the vase turn out red because the painted hasn't painted anything onto that area. If he wants an area of the vase to be black, he paints on something called slip which is lik really watery clay.

/Gigantic Vase-Painting info overload
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random Chat | All pointless post are welcome   

Back to top Go down

Random Chat | All pointless post are welcome

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Entertainment :: Random Chat-
Jump to: