The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

The Ultimate Food and Drink Thread | For any and all things edible

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
AuthorMessage
rrwatch
Seventh Nation

Nation Reputation : 63

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Food and Drink Thread | For any and all things edible   Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:14 pm

I have a Kindle recipe book for Quinoa it has mostly meal type recipes but one of the dishes is Oatmeal and Quinoa mixed together. The only way I like Collard greens is wilted with Bacon fat. Is the coconut oil fairly tasteless like corn oil, sunflower oil ? My wife has been telling me she is reading all sorts of good stuff about it. Yummmy... Butternut squash soup so good on a winter day !!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Last Ninja
Fifth Nation

Nation Reputation : 19

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Food and Drink Thread | For any and all things edible   Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:03 pm

From my research on it, expeller-pressed coconut oil is essentially flavorless. However, I managed to pick up on a subtle flavor when I tried EPCO. Same deal with canola oil, so I don't understand the whole "tasteless" thing. Razz

Virgin and extra-virgin certainly have a flavor. I've tried Trader Joe's organic virgin and Nutiva organic extra virgin, they both have a more coconut-y flavor than the EPCO. If I use it for cooking, I don't really pick up on the coconut flavor, it's only when I take it straight up. Apparently a pinch of salt can take away a lot of the coconut flavor from the oil.

Coconut oil does have a good amount of health benefits, but the more refined stuff isn't as good for you as the virgin stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation

Nation Reputation : 100

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Food and Drink Thread | For any and all things edible   Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:09 pm

I used bacon fat to keep my pancakes from sticking to the pan. I then ate the bacon. We had cooked it previously, so I threw it on the pan to warm it up, then took it off so I could put pancake batter down instead. Worked waaay better than butter.

It seems that I don't cook a lot right now, which is true. I'm jealous of all the yummy-sounding foods in here. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Last Ninja
Fifth Nation

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Food and Drink Thread | For any and all things edible   Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:16 pm

All I could think of after reading your post:

Spoiler:

Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rrwatch
Seventh Nation

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Food and Drink Thread | For any and all things edible   Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:22 pm

@ Az Maybe during summer break you'll have time to get a decent meal or two in.

@ Ninja funniest thing I've seen all day. I foolishly gave out my +1's already * holds out fist for bump*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Last Ninja
Fifth Nation

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Food and Drink Thread | For any and all things edible   Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:45 pm

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SparklyBazongaz,
11th Nation

Nation Reputation : 37

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Food and Drink Thread | For any and all things edible   Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:16 am

I HAVE A GIANT TUB OF COOKIES!!! Excited

Spoiler:

These aren't just any cookies... these are SPECIAL COOKIES.

This guy that my mum works with, he's my age, and one night he didn't come into work and forgot to tell my mum that he was sick so she was called in on her night off, and as an apology he baked her a batch of cookies.

This guy has a passion for baking, he makes so many yummy things, all his own like family secret recipies..

and then my mum went ahead and told him about my fangirling over his cookies.. THEY ARE ORGASMIC. LEGIT. most amazing, perfect cookies I've ever tasted in my entire life.

So she comes home from work. and he's baked me this giant tub of cookies! Excited

I squeeled like a little girl Embarassed

So I am 100% certain that these cookies are the most amazing food ever, and I could totally eat them erryday if it was physically possible Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Food and Drink Thread | For any and all things edible   Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:20 am

Well when you go to your mothers work place, find the guy and yell "MOAR COOKIES!"

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SparklyBazongaz,
11th Nation

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Food and Drink Thread | For any and all things edible   Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:00 am

I added him on facebook so I can message him and request him to bake me cookies whenever Embarassed

TOTALLY WORTH IT. Excited
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Food and Drink Thread | For any and all things edible   Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:16 pm

So I've been making a dried fruit mix to take with me when I got to school and such. Dried apple rings, pineapple, mango, banana chips, Brazil nuts, Macadamia nuts and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. It's yummy and keeps me going for ages, and is probably better for you than the cookies you get from various places.

OM NOM NOM
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Last Ninja
Fifth Nation

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Food and Drink Thread | For any and all things edible   Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:24 pm

"Smarties in a trail mix? Well, whatever works for you..." then I remembered you're Canadian. Razz Sounds like a pretty good trail mix. Very Happy= :D

Finally got to try Kerrygold grass-fed butter. I can definitely taste a difference.

I feel pretty good about the meal I cooked tonight. Rubbed some swai fillets with extra virgin olive oil, then encrusted with a mixture grated parmesan-romano-asiago cheese blend, paprika, granulated garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper. Baked them in the oven with a couple of smashed garlic cloves and a little bit of butter on top of each fillet.

For the side dish, I stir-fried green beans, diced onion, minced garlic, chopped bacon, and crumbled walnuts in bacon fat with some butter. Added a splash of Worcestershire sauce when it was almost done cooking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Food and Drink Thread | For any and all things edible   Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:52 pm

That might sound better if my stomach wasn't cranky. Sad

And yeah, Smarties are something different in the US, aren't they? I gave a link to what Smarties are up here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leo_337
14th Nation

Nation Reputation : 113

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Food and Drink Thread | For any and all things edible   Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:21 am

Sounds good, 'Zira.. On the Canadian connection, I like to drizzle Maple syrup over my Muesli and whole Jersey milk.. I don't know how you guys keep the weight off with that stuff everywhere. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Food and Drink Thread | For any and all things edible   Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:19 am

Maple syrup? It's freezing here, remember? We shiver it off. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Last Ninja
Fifth Nation

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Food and Drink Thread | For any and all things edible   Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:34 pm

Thermogenesis! Very Happy= :D Yep, Smarties are different here. What you guys have as Smarties are like our M&Ms.

Muesli sounds good. Is Jersey milk just the milk of Jersey cattle?

I made [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for the first time tonight. I had to use canned tomato since we didn't have any fresh tomato, but it still came out delicious. tongue

Mine came out looking more like this:
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
rrwatch
Seventh Nation

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Food and Drink Thread | For any and all things edible   Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:40 am

That Shakshuka looks good to me, Do you have a recipe for it ?? I have a nice collection of cast iron pans one big one medium and one small The medium one has been in mine for over 20 years, the large one was passed on from my father inlaw so it is over 30 years old at least and I bought the small one. I have a nice gas range so using them is a pleasure. I had a nice pork tenderloin roast , fresh green beans and Idaho baked potato for dinner. I can honestly say I will take a pork roast over a beef roast 9 times out of ten. Still, I talked with my butcher Friday and he has a few nice top round roasts coming in so I hope to get a couple tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Last Ninja
Fifth Nation

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Food and Drink Thread | For any and all things edible   Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:30 am

I used the recipe from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Very Happy= :D

I really should get a cast iron skillet one of these days. I've been using the same old non-stick pan for the past couple of years. Can't complain, it gets the job done.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SparklyBazongaz,
11th Nation

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Food and Drink Thread | For any and all things edible   Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:24 am

I made cookies Cool

250g butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 can sweetened condensed milk
3 cups self raising flour
1 tablespoon vanilla essence (you can use more or less)
And optional is 250g choc chips.

Preheat oven to about 150 degrees Celsius... You can put it up to around 180 but mine went a little too golden brown when I did that.

Put butter and sugar in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until light and creamy.
Add the can of sweetened condensed milk and mix together.
Slowly add the flour, making sure to mix well. You may need more flour or less, depending on how stiff you want your batter,
If you want choc chips, add them bitches in around here Cool

If you wanna make cookies, add extra flour until its stiff enough to be rolled into balls, if you want it to be a cake batter, the 3 cups should be plenty to give a nice smooth consistency,

For cookies take a teaspoon sized amount, or just a little more, roll into small balls and place on a greased or lined baking tray, you can flatten the balls slightly if you want. Shove them in the oven.mi made about 2 and a half trays of cookies with my mix.

For a cake shove that baby into a greased pan and whack it in the oven.

Cookies should take between 15 to 20 minutes, or just cook until golden brown.
The cake...idk depends on your oven.
Just cook it till it's pretty and brown and a knife shoved In the centre comes out clean.

Enjoy my homemade, bullshitted recipe I literally made up after dinner because I wanted something sweet to munch on cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Food and Drink Thread | For any and all things edible   Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:52 pm

Mmm... cookies...

So, does anyone have any ideas for what to eat when you're alone? My family has to drive up north and I have to stay behind for work and to babysit critters. Most of the time when I'm making food I have to make food for five but I'm wondering what people do when they make food just for one. I don't want anything super fancy or expensive... Idk. I'm just looking for ideas for the Easter weekend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Last Ninja
Fifth Nation

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Food and Drink Thread | For any and all things edible   Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:34 am

I found a recipe for ninja-friendly chocolate chip cookies, but I don't really have any ovenware for baking cookies. They look so good too. Sad

Az -

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Food and Drink Thread | For any and all things edible   Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:35 pm

Shocked I haven't even heard of half of those things.

Well, I have some ideas now... thanks. Hopefully I can think of something else too. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iRideAPalmer
Seventh Nation

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Food and Drink Thread | For any and all things edible   Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:23 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Mmm... cookies...

So, does anyone have any ideas for what to eat when you're alone? My family has to drive up north and I have to stay behind for work and to babysit critters. Most of the time when I'm making food I have to make food for five but I'm wondering what people do when they make food just for one. I don't want anything super fancy or expensive... Idk. I'm just looking for ideas for the Easter weekend.
my typical just me dinners are eggs and hash browns... grill a chicken breast cut it up and make chicken ranch wraps. One chicken breast makes a couple wraps. Eggs benedict is a fave dinner for me. Chicken pot pie. Chicken strips i use the kraft fresh take and make 2 chicken breasts worth of chicken strips good for 2 meals and I'll bake a potato with it or brussel sprouts. Ummm..... chicken salad. Any salad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Food and Drink Thread | For any and all things edible   Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:51 pm

I'm all for eggs and stuff, but I tend to have those for breakfast, not dinner. I like stuff with chicken in them too. Breakfast for dinner is good if you haven't had that breakfast already that day.

Like, I know what sort of things I can make by myself, I'm just bored of them and looking for other options. I guess I'd like to know what other people do.

I was thinking of having a spicy chicken burger at least one night. Make up some noodles and maybe use them again for another night.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rrwatch
Seventh Nation

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Food and Drink Thread | For any and all things edible   Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:18 pm

Lasagna is a tasty casserole you can use for several meals. There are may recipes on the net, I always tell people who haven't made it before to start with a no-boil recipe. You can make it meatless or with a variety of meats or spinach. Takes about 20 minutes to put together an hour or so in the oven and a few days to eat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Last Ninja
Fifth Nation

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Food and Drink Thread | For any and all things edible   Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:49 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Lasagna is a tasty casserole you can use for several meals. There are may recipes on the net, I always tell people who haven't made it before to start with a no-boil recipe. You can make it meatless or with a variety of meats or spinach. Takes about 20 minutes to put together an hour or so in the oven and a few days to eat.

Unless you're me. Then it's just a few hours to eat. Laughing At least, that's what I used to be capable of.

I forgot to add sliced beets in that salad description. They're delicious. drools Beet juice is tasty as well.

I'm coming up with an idea for a peanut butter and veggie sandwich/wrap. I basically got the idea from eating spring rolls/lettuce wraps with peanut sauce. So far, I want to try shredded carrot, beet, diced celery, with peanut butter wrapped in lettuce. Either in layers, or mixed together like tuna/chicken/potato/egg salad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Food and Drink Thread | For any and all things edible   

Back to top Go down

The Ultimate Food and Drink Thread | For any and all things edible

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 19 of 22Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Entertainment :: Random Chat-
Jump to: