Sixth Nation Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sixth Nation Gaming

Home Base of the Sixth Nation Community

Share | 

Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Azira
Azira

Nation Reputation : 104

Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer Empty
PostSubject: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 7:44 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Developer: Valve Corporation
Platforms: PC (Steam)
ESRB Rating: TBA
PEGI Rating: TBA
Release Date: Summer 2013
Official Website: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] , [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Free to Play (With cosmetic DLC items)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

About the Game
Dota began as a user-made modification for Warcraft 3 and has grown into one of the most played online games in the world. Following in the tradition of Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress, Portal, and Alien Swarm, Dota 2 is the result of Valve hiring the community developers who built the mod and giving them the chance to finally build a full product out of their idea with the help of a professional team of developers and artists at Valve.

As for the gameplay, it’s a little hard to describe. The camera is set in the traditional RTS perspective, but it wouldn’t be fair to call Dota an RTS. And while each hero starts at level 1, and many times hits the level cap of 25, it wouldn’t be fair to call it an RPG.

Lots of people have tried to assign various genre names to Dota, but we think Action RTS is probably the most descriptive. And while we don’t spend a lot of time trying to figure out what genre the game is inventing, we can’t stop playing it internally!

---------------------------------------------------

So does anyone happen to play this?

I'm looking for friends... because the bots are boring to play with. Laughing

Last edited by Azira on Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Seyel

Nation Reputation : 83

PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 3:18 pm

Never heard of it Thinking
It looks fun, though... and it has dragons!! Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down
Azira
Azira

PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 3:54 pm

Dragons... and creatures that look like dragons. Razz
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 4:31 am

So this is what it has come to. Men liking Ponies and Unicorns. Women liking dragons. Welp anyone needs me I'll be in the kitchen making sammiches
Back to top Go down
Azira
Azira

PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 9:33 pm

So, I've put quite a few hours into practice and actual matches and this article here gives a pretty good idea of what the game's about for those who don't really know:
Back to top Go down
Azira
Azira

PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 11:34 pm

Part two of Eurogamer's playing:

I thought it was an exciting read. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Azira
Azira

PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 1:59 pm

So for anyone interested in seeing how this game works, Valve has released a Spectator Client for the game since there are some tournaments coming up shortly. You can download it from the Dota 2 Steam page:

This client is supposed to let you watch live or recent matches, meaning if you don't have the game and have Steam friends playing it you can watch them. Wink
Back to top Go down
Azira
Azira

PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 2:16 pm

So, for the next seven and a bit hours this is $7.49 on Steam. I think it's been half-price ($15) for the duration of the Holiday Sale. If you think you're interested in this and don't want to wait for it to be F2P, then you could pick it up now.
Back to top Go down
RHYN0X
Fifth Nation
RHYN0X

Nation Reputation : 18

PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 2:37 pm

For those wondering about it, some of the team who made the original DOTA went on to make League of Legends.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

Nation Reputation : 211

PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 6:58 pm

I got gifted this game on Steam a while back, but haven't tried it yet. Hoping to give it a shot soon. Any advice for a starting player?
Back to top Go down
Azira
Azira

PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 7:34 pm

CobaltMonkey wrote:
I got gifted this game on Steam a while back, but haven't tried it yet. Hoping to give it a shot soon. Any advice for a starting player?
- Play bot games with easy bots (by yourself)
- Get to know all the different heroes (well, at least a handful. There's about 100 of them)
- Increase difficulty of bots as you feel more comfortable
- Ask more experienced players for help (and play with them)
- Look up Dota guides (I go here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] )
- Watch other games in progress (anyone can do this as the client is available to everyone)

Uh... find people to play with that aren't jerks. A good teacher is always wonderful too.

*keeps thinking about what I did*
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

Nation Reputation : 41

PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 10:42 pm

Azira wrote:
So, for the next seven and a bit hours this is $7.49 on Steam. I think it's been half-price ($15) for the duration of the Holiday Sale. If you think you're interested in this and don't want to wait for it to be F2P, then you could pick it up now.
apparently I have owned this game and never knew it. went to buy it to find out I have it
Back to top Go down
jadedoblivion
Seventh Nation
jadedoblivion

Nation Reputation : 19

PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 10:47 pm

every one has it , but you can buy the early access to play before the actual launch. If you download it with out the pass you can just watch games i believe
Back to top Go down
Azira
Azira

PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 10:53 pm

Dota 2 became available for everyone to download a little while back, but you could only play it if you had a beta key. If you didn't have a key, you could only watch other people's games.

Come to think of it, watching became available for the International, so you've been able to watch other people play for a few months now. Being classified as a free game, it'll look like all your friends own it.

I have about 250 hours playing and watching games. If you picked up cheap then I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's frustrating at times but I've had lots of fun playing it. Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 12:28 pm

TBH i think someone sent me a beta key a while ago. not quite sure though
Back to top Go down
Azira
Azira

PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 8:05 pm

If you have two keys you can gift one, I think.
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 11:38 pm

orly :orly:
Back to top Go down
Azira
Azira

PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 11:54 pm

Is there anything in your Steam inventory? If you bought a key that means you hadn't redeemed one, but not necessarily that you don't have one.
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 12:46 pm

you miss understand me. I am completely familiar with the whole process. I just dont remember if someone actually ended up gifting it to me (and I accepted it) or if they were going to but never did.
Back to top Go down
Azira
Azira

PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 2:06 pm

If someone did give it to you it would be in your Steam inventory, and if you redeemed it you wouldn't have been able to buy a key unless you were using the gift option when buying it.
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 4:10 pm

nobody wrote:
apparently I have owned this game and never knew it. went to buy it to find out I have it
Back to top Go down
Azira
Azira

PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 7:54 pm

scratch

'kay.

I was doing really, really well today until the last match which was a Single Draft (you have to pick one of three randomly chosen heroes). That went badly.
Back to top Go down
Azira
Azira

PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 12:23 pm

I have several Dota 2 beta keys, so if you're interested let me know. You'll need a Steam account to use them and play the game.
Back to top Go down
Azira
Azira

PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 1:37 pm

So does anyone here play this game?

Anybody?

Sad
Back to top Go down
RHYN0X
Fifth Nation
RHYN0X

Nation Reputation : 18

PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 7:59 pm

I used to play DOTA religiously in Warcraft 3, but now I play League of Legends. I have a steam account, but am past my entertainment budget at the moment.
Back to top Go down

Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sixth Nation Gaming :: Gaming HeadQuarters :: Strategy-
Jump to: