Sixth Nation Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sixth Nation Gaming

Home Base of the Sixth Nation Community

Share | 

Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Azira
Azira

Nation Reputation : 104

Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 1:08 pm

Time-wise or money-wise? I have a beta-key I can give away.
Back to top Go down
RHYN0X
Fifth Nation
RHYN0X

Nation Reputation : 18

PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 3:49 pm

Oh, it's still in beta? lol

If that's the case I would love a key, and would love to join you on the battle field Smile My steam ID is cka_rhyn0x (spelled with a zero, not an "oh").

I was speaking money wise. My wife and I really want to move so, we are working on hammering out any outstanding debt as soon as possible. I used to buy at least 1 or 2 60 dollar games a month (averaged out), I have bought 1 in the last 6 months, cut 45 dollars off the cable/internet bill, and only allow myself 20 dollars a month on my credit card. Actually quite easy to do once you start, but man I was going through game withdrawl haha!
Back to top Go down
RHYN0X
Fifth Nation
RHYN0X

PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 3:45 pm

Got it all installed and ready to go!
I'm hoping to get a game in when I get home from work tonight! (midnight, EDT)
Back to top Go down
Azira
Azira

PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 11:48 pm

Did you download the test client? I didn't download it because it would take up more space on my little HDD. Razz
Back to top Go down
RHYN0X
Fifth Nation
RHYN0X

PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer - Page 2 EmptyFri May 10, 2013 12:14 am

I downloaded both clients, test and beta.

I enjoy the game, but I really don't like the new shop layout. Definitely a pretty game, and brings back a lot of memories.

We will have to try and team up again sometime, everytime I log in, you are "away".

PS - Drow is still OP lol
Back to top Go down
Azira
Azira

PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer - Page 2 EmptyFri May 10, 2013 12:38 am

Drow's really easy to use, which I think is part of the problem. Not that I know all THAT much since I haven't even tried all the heroes yet and it's been about a year since I started playing.

I had to delete Dota off of my laptop because I think the recent updates have pushed it to "just playable" to "probably shouldn't play because you really don't have the horsepower anymore it seems" so I'll have to play it when the desktop is available.

There should be some interesting things coming up in anticipation of the International 3 tournament.
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

Nation Reputation : 41

PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer - Page 2 EmptyFri May 10, 2013 12:56 am

i havent played the game yet, but damn does it update all the fricking time
Back to top Go down
Azira
Azira

PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer - Page 2 EmptyFri May 10, 2013 10:58 am

Yes, unfortunately. They haven't finished adding all the heroes from the first Dota yet so they fix bugs based on those, and they add new game modes and other features. When I started there was no tournament "area" in the menu or the ability to make and use hero-build guides in-game. It updates a lot, but it's hard to complain when they keep adding buckets of content on a fairly regular basis.
Back to top Go down
Azira
Azira

PostSubject: Re: Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer   Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 3:34 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Quote :
We are now approaching the two year anniversary of Dota 2’s limited release, and we feel like we’re ready to expand to include anyone who wants to give it a try. In the case of Dota 2, or other games with large backend systems that support them, this isn’t quite as simple as pressing the big red launch button, then sitting back and watching, because of the large infrastructure they rely upon.

As a result, we’re going to take a different approach to the launch of Dota 2 than we have with our previous titles. Our goals are to create little disruption for the existing Dota 2 audience, to bring new players into a system that will work reliably, and to not immediately melt down all of our datacenters. We aren’t sure how long this is going to take, but in our experience everything with Dota ends up involving a lot more people than we predict, so we’re going to ease our way into it.

The first step we’ll be taking is to release a larger set of training features, and retire the existing Dota 2 Invites. The combination of these two things makes now the best time to use any remaining Dota 2 Invites you have to bring your friends in that are unfamiliar with the game. After that, we’ll start allowing all users to join in.

We’ll be controlling the launch by granting large numbers of people access to the game in batches, so we can ensure our infrastructure is holding up. We’ll also be letting everyone know how we are dealing with the increased load, so we all have a shared understanding of how the launch is going.

There are several parts of the backend infrastructure that we’ll be keeping an eye on as the number of users increases.

First, we have a server called the Game Coordinator (or GC), which is really a number of different servers that all collectively handle the backend work that Dota 2 needs (with the exception of hosting actual games). This is the server that handles your Dota 2 login, determines who you will play against in matchmaking, keeps track of where all of your items are stored, and many other functions. This also means that as we increase the number of users, this server needs to scale up. We think we’re in pretty good shape for adding a pretty large number of users from the GC’s perspective (we could at least double in total concurrent users), but it’s one of the areas we’ll be keeping an eye on as the audience grows.

The other major piece of backend services are the Dota 2 game servers. We count them in units we call clusters, which for us means a fully functional collection of network infrastructure that a given region can play Dota 2 on. So it isn’t just a bunch of machines running dedicated servers, it has all of the switching gear, network management, replay storage, and so on. Currently we have 25 clusters around the world. Each of those clusters have around 160 machines that are running game servers, and on average each of those machines can run 112 concurrent Dota 2 games. This works out to each cluster serving around 180,000 users at a given time. In addition to the CPU and memory aspects of game server hosting, we have around 400 Gigabits of bandwidth available for Dota 2 server hosting. The nice thing about game servers and bandwidth is that they are more straightforward to scale up, because the problem is more about buying more of them than solving complicated problems in software. While this takes some time, it is more predictable.

Dota 2 is the largest community that we’ve ever had on Steam, and it is about to get larger. We aren’t sure how much larger it is going to get, but it is better in the long term for the community as a whole for more people to be having fun playing Dota. This will lead to more interesting items in the workshop, a self-sustaining professional scene, and more people to play with (and against).

Dota 2 will continue to move forward, just like it always has. We still have old (and eventually new) heroes to release and an endless supply of features to build. We are releasing the game now because it is ready, but of course there isn’t an end to the development of the game. Just like we have been for the last couple of years as Dota 2 has grown, we’ll be looking to hear from you about how we’re doing and about what you’d like us to build next.

We'll I'm excited because everyone will eventually be able to access the game soon. It'll be nice to have more people to play with. Very Happy= :D

If you want to take a look at the currently released heroes, you may do so here:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Dota 2 | Becoming public this summer

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sixth Nation Gaming :: Gaming HeadQuarters :: Strategy-
Jump to: