The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

Picking courses help: new (?) languages

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Azira
13th Nation

Nation Reputation : 100

PostSubject: Picking courses help: new (?) languages   Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:06 pm

Hey folks. I'd appreciate some help.

I need an arts course to finish off my Associate of Science Degree for Geography but have been put on a waiting list for archeology and history courses so I've decided that if I can't get into those I should maybe try the languages route.

Being in Canada I've been taught French (starting out simple) since grade 4 or so and took French all the way up to grade 11 (and did fairly well) so I could take French now and further develop it. I've always wanted to be able to speak another language well.

However, I've always wanted to try out German. I know quite a few people who know German well and I think it would be nice to have another language to have with me, but I don't really know much about it. I am currently asking them what they think of the language. I just think German might be an interesting language to have.

So I guess what I'd like to ask everyone is for those who know German what do you think of it? What did you think of it while learning it? How does it compare to English and French (I ask those languages because they're the only ones I can speak to varying degrees)?

I should mention that this semester I'm going to take a Calculus III course and know that will be a large time investment, so I'll have to take that into consideration too. I know that in the end I'll have to decide what I can and can't do given my circumstances but I would like opinions when it comes to learning the two languages.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Last Ninja
Fifth Nation

Nation Reputation : 19

PostSubject: Re: Picking courses help: new (?) languages   Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:12 pm

For an English speaker, German is supposedly much easier to pick up than French. On the other hand, it may be easier to polish your French. Did/do you find French easy?

Personally, I prefer German over French, but that might just be all the years of listening to Rammstein. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 203

PostSubject: Re: Picking courses help: new (?) languages   Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:20 pm

You're lucky to have options. The only one they teach around here other than English is Spanish.

On a side note: Curse your hypnotic sig, LastNinja!
Angry :angry:
You wasted five of my minutes. I'd like them back.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 111

PostSubject: Re: Picking courses help: new (?) languages   Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:53 pm

Is Dutch available? Much easier than German.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation

Nation Reputation : 100

PostSubject: Re: Picking courses help: new (?) languages   Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:00 pm

TheLastNinja wrote:
For an English speaker, German is supposedly much easier to pick up than French. On the other hand, it may be easier to polish your French. Did/do you find French easy?
That's what I've heard. English is supposedly more closely related to German than it is to French.

Sometimes I found French really easy to learn, while other times it was quite difficult. I'm sort of at the point where I have a bit of an idea of what someone says to me if they say it in French. Theoretically by completing French 11 I could "get by" in the world with French. I finished that a long time ago though and haven't really used the language since. I think I can do really simple stuff and probably my biggest issue with the language is my lack of vocabulary to use. I just don't know a lot of words that are needed in everyday speech.

As for listening to different languages, I have music in English, French and German. It might be nice to understand the German songs. Razz

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
You're lucky to have options. The only one they teach around here other than English is Spanish.
We have Spanish offered here too, as well as Japanese, Mandarin and Punjabi. One of the things I do want those is a language that uses the same characters as English. Laughing

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Is Dutch available? Much easier than German.
No Dutch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Picking courses help: new (?) languages   

Back to top Go down

Picking courses help: new (?) languages

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Entertainment :: Random Chat-
Jump to: