The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

Mobile /Cell phones with good quality camera (video + photo)?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 82

PostSubject: Mobile /Cell phones with good quality camera (video + photo)?   Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:55 pm

I am looking for a mobile phone with good quality camera for videos and photos. I cannot spend a fortune but my current phone is failing and I think I will soon get a lot of use of the video option for shooting small 1-2 minute videos and pictures.

I have been browsing the market and I am thinking of either the Galaxy S2 or the Sony Xperia P. Both have 8MP+ with LED flash, Touch focus, 1080p HD @30fps video recording. However, I have not used the video function before, I was using a Nokia N73 with SYmbian from 2006, so the whole Android generation is a mystery to me. I am not sure how much space I will need or how good these videos are. I do not need extraordinary quality, average YouTube video might be enough, I am having a baby soon and I want to be able to shoot small vids to share with the family abroad. I know I could buy a proper video camera but I think it is unlikely that I go with the camera around the whole day, whilst if it is on the phone I could always snap a quick pic or video on the go. Any of you have experience with this?

My current mobile does not receive all the calls, it tells the person calling it is switched off or has no signal, when at my end everything appears fine, thus, I need to change it. I have found these two mobiles at £100-£150 on a £13.50 a month contract, which is around what I spend anyway. I do not want an iPhone and I cannot afford a Galaxy S3. Any suggestions? experiences?

These are the main details of these two mobiles:
SAMSUNG GALAXY S2 SONY XPERIA P
4.3" AMOLED SCREEN, SD SLOT UP TO 32GB, , REMOVABLE BATTERY, 8MP CAMERA, MP4 & DVIX FORMAT, MICROUSB, NORMAL SIM 4.3" BRAVIA SCREEN, NO SD SLOT, 16-32GB INTERNAL MEMORY, NO REMOVABLE BATTERY, 12.1MP CAMERA WITH DEDICATED BUTTON, PLAYSTATION CERTIFIED, NO MP4 FORMAT, HDMI, MICROSI

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leo_337
14th Nation

Nation Reputation : 113

PostSubject: Re: Mobile /Cell phones with good quality camera (video + photo)?   Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:03 am

Look around for a second hand SONY Ericsson SATIO, hun... It's 12 Mpixel and still the best quality phone-camera around AFAIK. Video is good enough to watch (albeit a little pixelly during movement, I find) and PC connectivity is super easy with bluetooth and USB. It's Cybershot so that you just slide the cover back and shoot pictures, it has face-recognition and most of the usual features that Digi-cams come with nowadays and is a damn good phone as well with Symbian browser tech so you wouldn't feel lost using it. Wink

I asked around about the Experia and was told that only the 'S' model has 12 Megapixel, at almost twice the price of the other models. That's why I have held off myself from getting one. Thinking
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: Mobile /Cell phones with good quality camera (video + photo)?   Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:18 am

Thanks! I will have a look! I have not heard of that one, I though of the N9 or the Xperia Arc.

I am not paying on PAYG or SIM free, they have silly prices, but O2 has a contract for £13.50 a month with all I really need (50min, 250 texts, 100Mb internet), my average is under 20min a month. 60 text messages and 80Mb. I don't currently have wi-fi in my mobile, so I guess if I have wi-fi I will bring the Mb down even more, by using free connections, is that right? With that plan, I can get the Galaxy SII at £105 up front, the Xperia S at £150. If the contract were £16.50 a month, I could get unlimited texts and 250Mb internet, but I do not think I need that much. I barely use the phone for anything else but receiving calls.

I am a fan of Symbian, that is one of the reasons I have not considered changing the phone up to now. My current phone also is cybershot Carl Zeiss, but shutter stopped working properly. Video is not good, though, too blurry when you pass it to a computer.
I am a bit wary of second hand technology though, I do not mind it with clothes or furniture, but not sure about technology, if it fails it costs a fortune to repair!

Thanks!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 111

PostSubject: Re: Mobile /Cell phones with good quality camera (video + photo)?   Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:54 am

Seyel wrote:
Thanks! I will have a look! I have not heard of that one, I though of the N9 or the Xperia Arc.
My daughter just bought a Sony Xperia for £170. They come sim-free so you can use them on any network you like.

She really likes the phone. She spent a whole two weeks choosing the best model for her.

Seyel wrote:

I am not paying on PAYG or SIM free, they have silly prices, but O2 has a contract for £13.50 a month with all I really need (50min, 250 texts, 100Mb internet),
That's pretty expensive. Take a look at Giff-gaff (they piggy back on the O2 network anyway). For £10 a month you get unlimited texts, unlimited interwebz and 250 call minutes. You may not use much internet now, but when it's UNLIMITED you find all sorts of new uses for your smart phone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: Mobile /Cell phones with good quality camera (video + photo)?   Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:57 am

Now that's a good deal...

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: Mobile /Cell phones with good quality camera (video + photo)?   Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:11 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: Mobile /Cell phones with good quality camera (video + photo)?   Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:39 am

That is an amazing price! +1 for the awesome recommendation!

My only problem is that I would still need to buy the phone, and the ones I was looking at cost about £450+ without the contract. Ok, yes... I do not really "need" a phone with so many features, but since I have to buy one, I might as well buy one with HD camera, which I know I will use once baby is here. There are several Xperia models, but as far as I know, only the Xperia P has the HD at 1080p... what I would like to know is if there is any real difference between that and the HD at 720p, because other Xperia mobiles cost less and have that feature. I do not know anyone with a HD camera on the mobile, when I go to the shop I will ask for a demo, but if it makes no real difference for PC viewing, then I might go for other phones at cheaper prices. We do not have a video camera and our photo camera is not too good, therefore if the phone is good enough to make good pictures and ok videos, then I would actually save money by not having to buy a video camera or a new camera for a while. At least that is what I am thinking.

That said, the value of that giffgaff thing is amazing and if I find a phone for under £200 with no contract, I will definitely go for that. I never saw anything cheaper. Thanks again!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: Mobile /Cell phones with good quality camera (video + photo)?   Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:34 am

Caitlin bought the Sony Xperia U. It has a 720 camera, though she has heard from people that the videoing capability isn't really that good. Caitlin's view was that as she already as an iPod and she already has a really good still camera that shoots high quality video too, the music and camera features of the phone weren't as important to her. This means that the memory capacity of the Xperia U (4 GB user memory) wasn't as crucial either.

In terms of cost, yes, you may have to spend £450 on a better phone if you go off-contract, but remember that when you get a contract phone you still end up paying the £450 price of it -- it's part of the monthly cost. So all you're doing is spreading that cost out over the term of the contract whilst at the same time getting a much less generous calling package than you might otherwise get.

Take the iPhone, for example. The very cheapest way to get an iPhone is to spend the £500 up front to buy a sim-free one from the Apple store and then pay giffgaff £10 a month. If you look at contracts, sure you'll get the phone for 'free' but over the 2-year term of the contract you will find you have spent several hundred pounds more than if you bought the phone up front and went down the giffgaff route.

The point is then, that contract phones are almost NEVER cheaper. The only reason for doing it is that you don't want to spend the money up front on the handset. See [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for typical price comparisons as an example.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: Mobile /Cell phones with good quality camera (video + photo)?   Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:18 am

Yep, that is true, but my OH might pay for the phone as an early Christmas present because he finds it frustrating that some calls do not come trough, specially now, when he might worry about why I am not picking up the phone. If that ends up being the case, I will be responsible for the monthly payments only, and they are £3 over what I currently pay, but include some minutes too.
The Galaxy S2 (£105)+ contract (£13.50/m) works out at £429 for a 24 months period. Even if I go with GiffGaff £10, I would be spending £240 on the plan over the same 2 years, which leaves me up to £188 for the phone to make the deal a pound cheaper. Not many options at that price with the features I was looking for, really. I saw it as a way to get a phone, an mp3 player and a camera on the go, all in one.

The only thing that now is making me rethink the whole thing is that what you have showed me has unlimited internet option. It has a lot of potential that. I could take pics and upload them directly to my dropbox, or watch TV on the go. That is very very appealing. Thinking

If you connect your mobile to one of the free wifis around, or your work wifi, it does not go against your Mb allowance, does it? The Mb allowance is for when you are not connected through wifi to anything, isn't it?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leo_337
14th Nation

Nation Reputation : 113

PostSubject: Re: Mobile /Cell phones with good quality camera (video + photo)?   Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:20 am

Yup, WiFi shouldn't count against your monthly limit, but... On the WiFi subject, I find myself using 3G a lot more than any available WiFi because it ends up being a lot faster. Even my own wireless at home takes ages to load pages compared to the phone's 3G connection, not sure if it's the phone OS that causes it or not. Thinking
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: Mobile /Cell phones with good quality camera (video + photo)?   Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:45 am

Wi-fi will never be counted against monthly usage. It's only data that goes across the phone network that is counted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mobile /Cell phones with good quality camera (video + photo)?   

Back to top Go down

Mobile /Cell phones with good quality camera (video + photo)?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Entertainment :: Random Chat-
Jump to: