The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

Parenting 101 - ( Leveling up our future Nationites )

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Cel
13th Nation

Nation Reputation : 61

PostSubject: Parenting 101 - ( Leveling up our future Nationites )    Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:14 pm

It takes a Nation to raise a child.

I wanted to make a thread not only dedicated to the parents/grandparents of this forum, but a place we could come to, to discuss, bounce ideas off of each other, and brag about our future Nationites.
Even if you have not yet procreated a mini you, everyone was a child at one time.
Feel free to participate in any and all child related issues.

I will get this started by asking for some advice..

My daughter use to have a big appetite.
I don't know what happened but she now eats like a bird.. A baby bird.
Who has had this experience and what did you do ensure your child/children was getting the proper nutrients?
Any advice will be appreciated.

I thank you and so does Xylie.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
rrwatch
Seventh Nation

Nation Reputation : 63

PostSubject: Re: Parenting 101 - ( Leveling up our future Nationites )    Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:06 pm

If it wasnt for chicken nuggets I think my son will would have starved as a toddler. Seriously tho if you are worried about nutrition get a suitable Toddler multivitamin. Kids can be funny eating as toddlers. They do really weird stuff, love something one day and the next refuse to touch it. As long as there is no digestive problems, pooping fine ect. dont go nuts worrying about it. Sometimes a finger food they can eat when they want to works they may put it down and go back to it or forget about it so it can be messy. My daughter ate well and loved fruit and veggies she would have a great appetite and gain a few pounds, then she would grow and her appetite would be less. It became easy to tell when she was getting ready for a growth spurt just based her increased food intake.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cel
13th Nation

PostSubject: Re: Parenting 101 - ( Leveling up our future Nationites )    Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:19 pm

+1
That's what she does. Last week she wouldn't touch apple sauce. This week she's gobbling it up.
Unfortunatly that's about all she's gobbling up.. That and fruit snacks.
We usually give her a gummy vitamin and about 2 weeks ago we were giving her Ensure.
I just worry for my little Punky Brewster.
Odd that she can go from a bigger eater to a picky one almost over night.
Thank you bud.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RHYN0X
Fifth Nation

Nation Reputation : 18

PostSubject: Re: Parenting 101 - ( Leveling up our future Nationites )    Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:28 am

Nutrition was an issue with me growing up... I was a chubby kid.

(To touch on our lives here, and a bit of what RR wrote)

I wanted to give my kids the best head start I could. As soon as solid food started, we made their baby food, tying to use local fresh produce/meat, and as time grew introduced more spices/herbs (important to my wife and I, as we both love food from around the world). To this day (my girls will be 2 on the 19th), they go nuts for things like roasted turkey breast, bean, cauliflower, apples, sweet potato, and field berries (raspberries, black berries, blue berries, strawberries)... If only I ate as well as they did! lol

On thing to remember about kids, and does cause worry in most of us parents, is that some kids are smaller then others but still healthy. Kids won't starve themselves. Kids won't (until older) gorge themselves. Growth spurts become less frequent as a child gets older, and with that their appetite adjusts accordingly. Perhaps your daughter just isn't really growing at the moment, or just not that hungry... heck even a fat kid like me, isn't always hungry lol.

Some people think my girls don't eat enough due to their size. They eat well, and balanced, but they are small... they were 4 weeks and a day early, and twins... they are just small. Some days they eat and we can't give them enough, the next day, they will eat 3 pieces of corn, 2 beans, and a small piece of meat and be done. It's hard as parents not to worry about this, but I find, and from what I have researched as well, we just need to trust in the child and instinct (of course there exceptions)

One thing that help my girls, when they starting getting a bit more "finicky", is putting the food on a plate they really like, and giving them kid versions of "grown up untensils". For example, the girls would always ask for a fork because we were using one, I wasn't about to give my kid a 4 pointed metal object! We found some really cool, soft plastic, rounded, and very colourful (yes, colour with a u, I'm Canadian), forks. The round part doesn't matter as they still use a fork like a spoon, but it makes them happy, and away they eat.

Disclaimer: In the end, you may have tried all of this stuff and more, but all I can do share how we do what we do, and hope any of it helps. None of this is garaunteed to work with anyones kids but mine.

I wish her, and you, all the best!

A couple after thoughts:
-Try different seasonings.
-Try presenting it in a different way (IE: cut the the "item" in to circles, insead of squares)
-Try a food that you don't like, and don't really ever make. She may love it!
-Try the berries! We take flash frozen field berries, thaw them, smash 'em up, then mix a bit of instant kids oatmeal (or other grain ceral), just to bind it all together. My girls eat that for breakfast everyday (along with a hand full of Nutrios - kids version of cherios with a bit more iron, etc.), and LOVE IT! They wake up screaming CEREAL! lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cel
13th Nation

PostSubject: Re: Parenting 101 - ( Leveling up our future Nationites )    Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:15 am

Thank you too RHYNOX for your input.
She is my one and only and I want what is best..

Funny thing is..
She will sit in her high chair for a few bits.. Or when Six's kiddos are right there beside her.
The moment everyone else is away, she want's " Down? Down?"
So I will make my food and leave out all the spicy and hot sauce just in case she wants to eat from my plate. I know.. I know.. That probably isn't a good idea but I want her to eat every little bit she can.

Shrug

She finally got accepted for the AllKids Illinois program so Monday I plan on setting an appointment to see a Doctor. She needs a check up and a *whispers* couple of booster shots..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RHYN0X
Fifth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Parenting 101 - ( Leveling up our future Nationites )    Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:40 am

Meh, lol let her have the hot sauce! I eat a lot of very spicey dishes. Sriracha (The best hot sauce!) and red chilli flakes are a staple of my diet. The kids don't mind it.

I actually found out be accident that my girls like spicy food. I made some spicy curry chick peas one night as a side for dinner, I added some diced hot peppers to the mix to appease my Italian heritage... the girls whine and whined to try them so, I let them. The couldn't get enough... more more more they exclaimed!

1 nights ago, both my girls ate everything we gave them, a glass milk, and still wanted more. Last night, Grace ate maybe 1/3 of what she had the night before, and wanted down. /shrug

What is AllKids Illinois?
I think their boosters are more painful for us at times... Sad

PS - This is the Sriracha you want! It's Thait, but this brand was tweaked and mastered by an imigrant to Texas. It's still made there today.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rrwatch
Seventh Nation

PostSubject: Re: Parenting 101 - ( Leveling up our future Nationites )    Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:15 am

LOL I've been using that Sriracha sauce for years, discovered it in a Vietnamese place over 20 years back and got it at an Asian market, now its available all over. My kiddo likes spicy food since being a baby but..... it has taken me years to build up a tolerance and I am at a level that can some times give adults blisters on their lips, mouth so I dont share MY spicy food. Chickenmumbo is what my son called the spicy Cajun dish "chicken gumbo" he loved it. Thats how I got my PSN username. One thing I do want to say is it is pretty rare for kids not to do well in spite of eating a little erratically. I look at some of the "honey boo boo " Moms and Dads and their kids do fine. Kids will sometimes hate veggies and greens, their tastes are different and more sensitive to bitter than adults. Usually that changes and kiddos will start liking "adult foods". Every kid is different for sure , even in the same family.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Death Kitty!
Fourth Nation

Nation Reputation : -10

PostSubject: Re: Parenting 101 - ( Leveling up our future Nationites )    Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:44 pm

I might not be a parent, but I can tell you what happens if you shelter your kids too much. I happen! Just keep in mind for the future that if you let your kids have a bit of freedom I think they'll turn out better... Than me. Doing things you're told not to do is always way more fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rrwatch
Seventh Nation

PostSubject: Re: Parenting 101 - ( Leveling up our future Nationites )    Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:47 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I might not be a parent, but I can tell you what happens if you shelter your kids too much. I happen! Just keep in mind for the future that if you let your kids have a bit of freedom I think they'll turn out better... Than me. Doing things you're told not to do is always way more fun.

Do you mean like this lady is doing ?? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vrals597
Seventh Nation

Nation Reputation : -15

PostSubject: Re: Parenting 101 - ( Leveling up our future Nationites )    Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:50 pm

Some parents are just.........INSANE, sorry but we all know that that is a fact. Take the parents in my town as an example, some of them were trying to get rid of coffee from our high school. How did us high schoolers take that? Not well at ALL! We said "excuse us, many of us are allowed to smoke cigarettes, smoke cigars, drive cars, serve our country in the military, and decide who serves us in Washington D.C. and you want to get rid of coffee? Let us make our own decisions, we're young adults, why don't you treat us like we are!" Not to mention, if we couldn't get it at school we would just get it at Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks, many of us got it from those places anyway. I think sheltering your kids is a bad idea, they need to at least be aware of reality, can't keep them in a utopian cloud forever. Now, sometimes kids don't deserve to know about certain things but about things such as exist in Beloved, kids NEED to understand that that is/was a reality and if they don't learn about them then lets bring on 1864 all over again.......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cel
13th Nation

PostSubject: Re: Parenting 101 - ( Leveling up our future Nationites )    Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:46 pm

It seems like people would learn to pick their battles. There are wayyy to many things that I must worry about other than the amount of coffee some recieves.

And I totally agree. Sheltering a child does more harm then good.
My cousins.. facepalm2 I love them. I truly do but when we were growing up, we (me and my siblings) took on more shit then should have been allowed.
Our cousins were sheltered little brats.
It was quite confusing to see this as a child. Being taught one way but seeing our cousins who basicly felt like siblings, being taught differently.
We had to work in our teen years to get what we wanted. They were handed everything.. And barely knew the word "Thanks".
What is normal and easy to deal with today I see them freak out.
It was never their fault. It was their Mom and Dad. I guess the pefect balance was needed.
Drown them in love. But show them that not all people will. And the faster they accept that, the less likely they will want to fall to pieces when someone says they don't like them or understand them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vrals597
Seventh Nation

PostSubject: Re: Parenting 101 - ( Leveling up our future Nationites )    Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:49 pm

I come from a pretty wealthy area, to the point where my family, which has money, was considered around the average for the town, and plenty of kids worked in their teenage years. I never did but my parents taught me to say thank you, even for the little things like thanking the security guard for swiping me in to my dorm here at school, its just common courtesy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation

Nation Reputation : 100

PostSubject: Re: Parenting 101 - ( Leveling up our future Nationites )    Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:15 am

*Feels like and was told she was quite sheltered in her life, and was only allowed to do things like watch PG-13 movies when she was actually 13, yet thinks she turned out mostly all right in the end* Thinking

Just goes to show how different people can be I guess. Shrug

It seems like people would learn to pick their battles. There are wayyy to many things that I must worry about other than the amount of coffee some recieves.

And I totally agree. Sheltering a child does more harm then good.
My cousins.. facepalm2 I love them. I truly do but when we were growing up, we (me and my siblings) took on more shit then should have been allowed.
Our cousins were sheltered little brats.
It was quite confusing to see this as a child. Being taught one way but seeing our cousins who basicly felt like siblings, being taught differently.
We had to work in our teen years to get what we wanted. They were handed everything.. And barely knew the word "Thanks".
What is normal and easy to deal with today I see them freak out.
It was never their fault. It was their Mom and Dad. I guess the pefect balance was needed.
Drown them in love. But show them that not all people will. And the faster they accept that, the less likely they will want to fall to pieces when someone says they don't like them or understand them.

I think there should be a distinction between "sheltered" and "spoiled". I mean, maybe not in your case since all I have to go on is just what you've written there, but I think it's still something to keep in mind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cel
13th Nation

PostSubject: Re: Parenting 101 - ( Leveling up our future Nationites )    Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:20 am

Spoiled in essence is a form of sheltered.
If you sheild your kids from actually learning how to earn them self, well it's sheltering.
Look at Paris Hilton for a bad examole. Had everything she ever wanted fed to her.
Dumb as shit. Has no clue about the real world. Don't get me wrong. I'm not hating on the rich. But at least teach your kids how to earn what they want and not to just expect it. Or find it laughable that most of the world isn't as lucky as they are.
No. I find it one in the same.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation

Nation Reputation : 100

PostSubject: Re: Parenting 101 - ( Leveling up our future Nationites )    Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:27 am

I thought of spoiled as "getting whatever you want, when you want it" whereas sheltered is being "'protected' from the world for X reason, whether it's a valid reason or not".

Shrug
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cel
13th Nation

PostSubject: Re: Parenting 101 - ( Leveling up our future Nationites )    Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:31 am

Good point.

But if you think about it, having a child taught that you dont have to earn only assume you are entiltled is sheltering. I think so anyway.
Rather it's phyical things or love, or respect.. All is earned not automaticly given. Shrug
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SparklyBazongaz,
11th Nation

Nation Reputation : 37

PostSubject: Re: Parenting 101 - ( Leveling up our future Nationites )    Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:07 am

Spoiler:

This got super ranty... whoops... I can't remember what my actual point was... scratch
something about sheltering that triggered an explosion of emotions.. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cel
13th Nation

PostSubject: Re: Parenting 101 - ( Leveling up our future Nationites )    Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:25 am

I, for one, find you to be a total sweet heart.
I have seen you comea long way in just this year alone.
And lots and lots of people suffer from all kinds of mental illinesses and have some what normal lives.
No parent is perfect. Just as you do, try to remember that parents make mistakes too.
And you don't have to be a product of your enviroment, Saybie. Only YOU can break the cycle.
Take baby steps..
Get your ass to the Uni.
Get a job.. Even if it's a part timer.
Show your parents and more importantly that you can be independent. Sense no one is rushing you, take advantage of it. Do what you gotta do to better prepare yourself for the "Real World."
Remeber this- Most of us have had a rough life. You are not alone in that. And that should only fuel your desire to take control of YOUR life.
You're going to be just fine. I know it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vrals597
Seventh Nation

PostSubject: Re: Parenting 101 - ( Leveling up our future Nationites )    Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:37 am

What Cel speaks is true, no matter what one of those so called 'experts' that is trying to sell a book tells you, there is NO handbook to being a good parent, how can there be? Everybody is different, every child grows up differently, every person has a different aspect on how they should raise their children. All one can do is treat parenting like a card game (please excuse the ignorant teenagers analogy) and play with the hand you are dealt, I had MANY problems growing up, to the point where I could not go a day without going to the office, which meant that my mom had to drop whatever she was doing and come to school, you think ANYBODY would have foreseen that? I sure as hell don't. Another example, some asshole from my high school decided to start a rumor that I was going to do something at my school that was similar to Virginia Tech, now I knew exactly what I meant so I was a little mad that someone could even THINK that that would be funny. Now imagine how my mother took that, she got so upset that a Detective had to go to our house just to calm her down, do you think anyone could have foreseen that incident? of course not.

Lets give another extreme example, one that doesn't have much to do with me but someone I knew. Earlier this week, going to the University of Pittsburgh I'm pretty much out of the loop when it comes to stuff that goes down in my hometown, I saw a lot of facebook statuses that told me that a guy that I knew, not well but I still knew him, had died. However, what I didn't know until almost a day after this started is that he died by suicide. Now, since I didn't know too well I can tell you that I wasn't greatly effected by this but I was still in absolute shock because whenever I saw him during our entire high school career he seemed to be one of those people who loved living life and always had a smile on his face. Now, a lot can change in two years but it was still hard for me to believe. Now, I know a lot of people are hurting greatly from this and they were just the guys friends, imagine how his parents must feel, nobody expects this, especially not the parents.

In conclusion, I know that I provided some VERY extreme examples for this but sometimes that is what is needed to get a point across. There is no handbook for 'proper' parenting, and there shouldn't be, you can't have parents raising their kids by 'the book' so to speak because then there goes one thing that makes humanity great, diversity. If any of you have problems with what I just wrote please, by all means, speak your mind, I won't judge you, I've been honest with all of you and I would ask that you do the same (if it is within your comfort zones that is).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Death Kitty!
Fourth Nation

Nation Reputation : -10

PostSubject: Re: Parenting 101 - ( Leveling up our future Nationites )    Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:01 am

Do you mean like this lady is doing ?? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Yeah she's doing it wrong, she has four kids that are going to end up going crazy... crazy like me! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: Parenting 101 - ( Leveling up our future Nationites )    Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:28 am

Shrug I think I'm doing okay so far. Course mine is only a few weeks old...

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cel
13th Nation

PostSubject: Re: Parenting 101 - ( Leveling up our future Nationites )    Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:48 am

Shrug I think I'm doing okay so far. Course mine is only a few weeks old...
Well hell.. I knew that based on this..
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RHYN0X
Fifth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Parenting 101 - ( Leveling up our future Nationites )    Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:49 am

All the previous talk of not eating much, etc., and now Grace is in the "picky" phase. We will give her stuff, she has eaten many time before, she looks at it, cringes, and whines.

I know it's a phase most kids go through, I know she isn't starving, and won't starve herself, but I HATE WASTING FOOD! lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cel
13th Nation

PostSubject: Re: Parenting 101 - ( Leveling up our future Nationites )    Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:03 am

Awww Lil Grace. Crying or Very sad
Eat your yummies, little lady. <--- Give that message to her for me, RHY.
Very Happy= :D
Yep. Situation remains the same with my little Punky.
I'd be throwing down in the kitchen and she just refuses to eat more than a few bites.
But has no problem at all eating a bag of fruit snacks.
On top of that, she has decided to practice the art of stunt deviling or something because
she has done so many headers of my bed, or tripped, or back dove off the chair in this week alone. Crying or Very sad
This Mommy has had about 72 mini heart attacks in the last week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vrals597
Seventh Nation

PostSubject: Re: Parenting 101 - ( Leveling up our future Nationites )    Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:17 am

I'm not a parent yet but from my parents being my parents (enjoying telling stories about my brother and I when we were younger) you've only just started having those mini heart attacks, Cel
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Parenting 101 - ( Leveling up our future Nationites )    

Back to top Go down

Parenting 101 - ( Leveling up our future Nationites )

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Entertainment :: Random Chat-
Jump to: