The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Please choose one of the two options (descriptions at the top of the OP)
OPTION 1
PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE I_vote_lcap82%PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE I_vote_rcap
 82% [ 18 ]
OPTION 2
PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE I_vote_lcap18%PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE I_vote_rcap
 18% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 22

AuthorMessage
Azira
13th Nation
Azira

Nation Reputation : 100

PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE Empty
PostSubject: PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE   PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE Icon_minitimeSun Jun 23, 2013 8:27 pm

Okay everyone. Please make sure you visit the other site so you can have an idea of what it's like.

For reference:
SN: sixthnation.forumotion.net
ISG: www.interstellargaming.boards.net (URL will be changed to sixthnation.forumotion.net after it expires here if move goes through)

OPTION 1:
SN will be set to read-only. All users will be asked to register at ISG. Users can request to have their post count, Nation Reputation and registration date from SN displayed at ISG. After SN is set to read-only, SN post count can be added to their ISG post count.

OPTION 2:
No move will take place. SN will remain the main site. Further discussions on options can be made.

----------------------------

Thanks to everyone who has registered at the new site so far. We're adding and changing looks and features as we continue to get feedback. We appreciate all the help we've had from you. :)We'd like those of you who haven't registered yet to register there so you can make an informed decision.

Coming up this weekend we'll start a vote in this thread asking all users whether or not the change wants to be made. Keep in mind that if we were to switch these current boards would be set to read-only.

For reference:
SN: sixthnation.forumotion.net
ISG: www.interstellargaming.boards.net (URL will be changed to sixthnation.forumotion.net if move goes through)

The options are (subject to change before voting starts):

OPTION 1:
SN will be set to read-only. All users will be asked to register at ISG. Users can request to have their post count, Nation Reputation and registration date from SN displayed at ISG. After SN is set to read-only, SN post count can be added to their ISG post count.

OPTION 2:
SN will be set to read-only. All users will be asked to register at ISG. Users can request to have their post count, Nation Reputation and registration date from SN displayed at ISG. After SN is set to read-only, SN post count can be added to their ISG post count. Possible name change can be discussed and voted on.

OPTION 3:
No move will take place. SN will remain the main site.

---------------------------

Original OP:

Hi everyone.

It would be appreciated if any of you could sign up here and tell us what you think of the place:
http://www.interstellargaming.boards.net/

(If anyone's wondering, the URL name comes from me wishing good TV like Babylon 5 was still being made. It's not important though here. And I didn't want it to be similar to SN for certain reasons. Razz)

We are looking into the possibility of moving the community to ProBoards software and hosting. It's like forumotion in that both the software and the hosting are free, but it appears that it offers much more flexibility in features that can be added.

I want to make sure this is really clear right now: we're not telling you you have to move to the link above because this place is going to be locked down. We want everyone to take a look and see what the place offers, and if there's a general consensus that we'd like to move we'll look into how that may work (if transferring all the posts over is possible).

If you choose to sign up there, you can try some of the features out for yourself. I've left the settings fairly loose to let everyone try things out and there's even a board that in my eyes is "anything goes". If you have an idea, I'll try digging through the settings to see if something can be done with that idea. Test whatever forum features you want in there and feel free to ask questions. We want to see what we can do with the place.

One feature I don't know about yet is whether or not there's a notification if someone makes a post while you're writing one. I'm going to assume there is, but if anyone can confirm that it would be appreciated.

tl;dr: I guess I'm asking you to sign up there, go crazy (within reason) and see what you think of it.

If a lot of people decide that what that software offers is something we want, we'll look into trying to move everything here to a new Sixth Nation.

So take a look around there and tell us what you think. Smile

EDIT: I suppose you would like to know what some of those features are. I've posted a list at that forum. Razz

- There's a plugin that allows you to create tournament brackets and display them directly in posts. Unfortunately with a recent software change the ability to edit them has disappeared, but the creator of the plugin posted in his support thread saying that he'd fix it after the main software issue had been resolved.

- There's an easy-to-use awards system (what we've been trying to do with forum trophy here). They will display in both your mini-profile and your full one.

- While there's no karma system implemented yet, there's a plugin for one. I have yet to look further into it.

- Threads can be given extra information. The examples of this I've seen are in and RPG setting where threads can display rewards an XP without clicking on the thread itself, but these fields can be edited to say whatever we want.

EDIT2:

- It appears that members can choose whatever themes they want so long as they're installed. Two extra themes have been added to try out and may be found under the profile settings. Keep in mind that they've just been added and they don't have any SN images.

EDIT3:

- You can "Like" posts.

Last edited by Azira on Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:55 pm; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SparklyBazongaz,
11th Nation
SparklyBazongaz,

Nation Reputation : 37

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE   PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE Icon_minitimeSun Jun 23, 2013 11:04 pm

I've used a proboard forum site before,
The only time you get notifications is if someone quotes you or likes your post, or sends you a message
otherwise It just shows up as a "new post" on the side of the thread thingy and no notification like we have on here.

I've also had problems with any proboard site loading on Chrome, but it doesn't seem to happen as often on safari. It just comes up with a "no data recieved" and if you're trying to make a post this can be frustrating as you lose everything you've typed.. but sometimes if you hit refresh it gives you the option to "resend" the data and then your post will hopefully show up.

EDIT: Also Firefox isn't as affected by the site as Chrome is, not sure why though Thinking
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation
Azira

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE   PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE Icon_minitimeSun Jun 23, 2013 11:18 pm

I use Firefox as my browser so I haven't had loading issues.

What version of ProBoards were you using? That one is V5 and came out a few months ago by the looks of things.

For anyone signing up: remember your username because that is the name you use to login with. Your display name may change but your username always stays the same.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SparklyBazongaz,
11th Nation
SparklyBazongaz,

Nation Reputation : 37

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE   PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE Icon_minitimeSun Jun 23, 2013 11:25 pm

I have the lastest version of proboards. 

Its probably just something to do with my settings with Chrome, I'll have a sneaky peek around and see if I can fix the problem Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

Nation Reputation : 63

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE   PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 2:39 am

I had no problem loading using Chrome. I could quote ok. I couldn't find any spoiler tags.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation
Azira

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE   PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 11:42 am

I can't find a button specifically for spoilers in the full reply, but the code is just the same.

Code:
[spoiler]***spoilers***[/spoiler]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jadedoblivion
Seventh Nation
jadedoblivion

Nation Reputation : 19

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE   PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 11:53 am

haven't created an account on there yet because I hate creating accounts on my mobile phone , its just a pain .

As some one who mostly browses via the phone , its nice it loads up fast and fits the screen nicely. It lets me go to some places right now even though I don't have an account, its clean its simple and it works . (I will create an account tonight and try it on my phone a little more tomorrow)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation
Azira

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE   PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 11:57 am

Would this help you in any way?
http://www.proboards.com/mobile-forum-app
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jadedoblivion
Seventh Nation
jadedoblivion

Nation Reputation : 19

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE   PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 12:00 pm

if I didn't switch from my Android to a windows phone yes lol. I plan on switching back soon so that will help a lot .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cel
13th Nation
Cel

Nation Reputation : 61

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE   PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 1:11 pm

Going in right now via phone. Wish me luck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE   PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 5:30 pm

I like the idea of being able to "like" a post and tbh the present Forum trophies seemed like a bit of work so I passed. I am all about ease of use.  Is the only way to put up a picture still linking to another server like photobucket or whatever. I would love to be able to put up pics from my HD even if they were limited in size etc. Maybe there is a plug-in ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation
Azira

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE   PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 5:37 pm

I have some ideas about what we could do with a "Like" features. I think Eatty's good with code so maybe he can help get the karma system working.

Linking images? It should be the same as it is here: if you've hosted the image at a place such as Photobucket or imgur, you should just be able to use
Code:
[img]-image url here[/img]
to link and post the image.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE   PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 5:46 pm

Yeah, when you insert a code that you click on that brings up another URL it is called linking. I was wondering if I could upload an image from my HD directly to a post. Sorta like you do with an Avatar here or on FB.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

Nation Reputation : 167

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE   PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 5:52 pm

@rrwatch wrote:
I like the idea of being able to "like" a post and tbh the present Forum trophies seemed like a bit of work so I passed. I am all about ease of use.  Is the only way to put up a picture still linking to another server like photobucket or whatever. I would love to be able to put up pics from my HD even if they were limited in size etc. Maybe there is a plug-in ?

I have found a Gallery Plug In.

I dont see why we couldnt mess with it just to see how it is.

From the Plug Ins creator:
Members can create a gallery for themselves where they can post images and comments. Only they can post there, though moderators have the ability to remove images or edit/remove comments.

You will first have to create a dedicated board or boards that will become galleries, then select them in the 'User Interface'.

That aside, adding images to posts is exactly the same as most other forums.

Also, not only d I find it neat you can "Like" a post. You can Unlike it if you change your mind for what ever reason and suddenly NOT like it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation
Azira

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE   PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 5:59 pm

Does it use a key? Our two default Super Keys have been used on the Awards System (forum trophies) and the Karma System and one regular key is being used for the Tournament Brackets. That leaves nine regular keys, unless we want to buy more. I was looking around and there aren't many plugins that use the Super Keys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE   PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 6:05 pm

I hope I dont sound like a dick, I've lost photobucket pics before, (forget what i did). and I always seem to run into "This image no longer supported by photobucket" type messages on older posts throughout the internets. I do like the idea of a gallery and it is no big deal if that doesn't work out. I did notice posting videos is much easier on the new boards and you can use more sources easier like Funny or die.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE   PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 6:21 pm

@Azira wrote:
Does it use a key? Our two default Super Keys have been used on the Awards System (forum trophies) and the Karma System and one regular key is being used for the Tournament Brackets. That leaves nine regular keys, unless we want to buy more. I was looking around and there aren't many plugins that use the Super Keys.
UHm...gimme a sec and Ill look. I dont think it did. But I want to double check before i say for sure.

No key needed. And the reviews by other users look good. It has a 5 star rating atm.
@rrwatch wrote:
I hope I dont sound like a dick, I've lost photobucket pics before, (forget what i did). and I always seem to run into "This image no longer supported by photobucket" type messages on older posts throughout the internets. I do like the idea of a gallery and it is no big deal if that doesn't work out. I did notice posting videos is much easier on the new boards and you can use more sources easier like Funny or die.

To coincide with the FB discussion, I think extra attachment and file space is available under purchase.
So are more keys Az.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation
Azira

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE   PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 6:32 pm

I've been using imgur for a few years now and have been happy with it.

I'm not sure about uploading pictures but there's a 200MB default limit on attachments which is currently turned off right now.

EDIT: You can install it if you want to Six. There's lots of room atm.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE   PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 7:26 pm

The "Sixth Nation - TEST" theme is under construction but I have most of the forum and topic icons swapped out as best I can. If anyone would rather a theme that looks like this forum over there, than this is the one so far. Still working on a banner, but a whole new one needs to be made to fit this theme. Its roughly 110x880 I have found. Not sure what do about rank bars either, as we kind of needed new ones here even for a while now.

Ill see about getting it added Az, but it says boards need to be set up to use as the Gallery. You have more experience over there in that than I do atm. If we get them up, I see about adding the plug in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation
Azira

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE   PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 7:37 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE   PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 7:55 pm

Thats it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation
Azira

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE   PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 8:07 pm

It's installed and activated on all the boards in "Creativity Central". If someone wants to start experimenting with it go ahead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE   PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 8:10 pm

More updates on the Sixth Nation Test Theme

Mods admins and loyalist have the current badges they have here in that theme. I had to change the Loyalist color from the Light Blue it is here. Its being used for another rank atm.

Ive also added Wadey and rr to the Loyalist Rank. If and when the other get over there, I/we will add them too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azira
13th Nation
Azira

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE   PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 8:16 pm

I think members have to post before the colours update, unless I'm missing something. :-/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE   PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 8:20 pm

Thats true about a few things. I capitalized Cels name and it didnt update until she logged in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE   PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PLEASE READ OP | FORUM MOVE VOTE

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: News in the Nation :: Things You Should Know-
Jump to: