The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

I Need a Favour

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: I Need a Favour   Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:41 am

Could I ask you all to look at this link.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
This is the website that my mother paid €2,000 for and expected to pay a further €120 a month in order to keep it up and running.
What I want to know from you all is would you pay for it, would you allow it up and if the people who are doing this are in there right minds to ask for what they are asking.
Please leave your comments below. I will see this as a personal favour and I want all honesty in regards to your opinion to this website cause right now I think that she is been conned and taken for a ride.

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leo_337
14th Nation

Nation Reputation : 113

PostSubject: Re: I Need a Favour   Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:10 am

It does seem rather generic in appearance, Liam... Unfortunately I haven't a clue about whether those prices are keen for that kind of thing or not. Neutral

I would suggest some more/better photographs as a start, though, on the pages with plenty of pics it didn't look so barren. Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Toxxy
Ninth Nation

Nation Reputation : 23

PostSubject: Re: I Need a Favour   Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:13 am

I now want cupcakes!
The rate she has been billed seems about the same as what I was quoted for in France, seems a bit much when you realise what work went into it!
I will say that the cake pictures look well yummy the background is a bit bland, they could have used the whole page.. I am no pro, but have been on quite a few sites "cooking & watnot" & the most important is the product so bigger PICS.. maybe a special cake with a surprise center.. hen night model with a rugby man inside?
Wink
Why does she have to pay a monthly fee though?
scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: I Need a Favour   Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:16 am

It looks like it was done on one of those free websites where you can buy the domain for like $99.

Thats what I am wondering too Tox.

My brother and I aren't happy with it.

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leo_337
14th Nation

PostSubject: Re: I Need a Favour   Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:18 am

Do you guys get free webspace with your broadband over there? scratch

I'd imagine you and even some of the guys from our Graphics Request team could knock something up much better for no cost other than what you pay each month anyway. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: I Need a Favour   Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:31 am

Thats the thing I could do a way better layout and functionality than that. For free and hell if one of the guys here did something, they would do it so it looks like its what we paid for. Hell they more than likely would get paid. I need to sit down and talk with her. And show her what I did for my boss... hell that was free and it still looks way better than what my mother has.

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Raistlin
Eighth Nation

Nation Reputation : 67

PostSubject: Re: I Need a Favour   Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:35 am

Just looking at the text on the head banner - that screams weaksauce. The Nora part seems decent but the cakes and catering.....ugh.

For paying, I don't know if thats justified.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: I Need a Favour   Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:37 am

Thank you. Not sure who did the original heading, but its whats over the door Minus the black to gray Gradient with the crappy Cakes & Caterine underneath it. Guy must have added that on in Powerpoint or something.
Apparantly the extra €120 a month is maintenence charges. The thing needs to look good in order for it to need to be maintained.

Thats the web designers own bloody website (o.O)

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mynameesmorty
Fifth Nation

Nation Reputation : 13

PostSubject: Re: I Need a Favour   Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:20 am

Liam wrote:
It looks like it was done on one of those free websites where you can buy the domain for like $99.

Thats what I am wondering too Tox.

My brother and I aren't happy with it.

Im sorry to say that I was thinking that same thing. I could make a site like that in 10 mins on any free software that is out there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: I Need a Favour   Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:22 am

Figured as such thank you. Please note that I am taking notes of what you all say simply for the sake of properly informing my mother that she has been ripped off.

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leo_337
14th Nation

PostSubject: Re: I Need a Favour   Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:44 am

Liam wrote:
Please note that I am taking notes of what you all say simply for the sake of properly informing my mother .....

Liam owes me money... For teh secksy. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: I Need a Favour   Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:17 am

2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents 2 cents
I'll get the rest to you someday Leo

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Last Ninja
Fifth Nation

Nation Reputation : 19

PostSubject: Re: I Need a Favour   Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:07 pm

Liam wrote:
Could I ask you all to look at this link.
This is the website that my mother paid €2,000 for and expected to pay a further €120 a month in order to keep it up and running.

Please tell me that's a typo… confused
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 167

PostSubject: Re: I Need a Favour   Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:22 pm

So she paid to have that site made? Puzzled
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 82

PostSubject: Re: I Need a Favour   Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:38 pm

i think it's excesive, too much, a rip off...

The website does not look awesome, looks "average homemade". Plain html, not even a flash intro (which I always skip, anyway).

Header: Cakes & Catering just looks made with Paint and sticked there. Anyone here could do a better banner. Ask in Graphic Request and wait, I am sure all of them would be better than that one. The banner is the header of your business, you don't want it to look crap or not proffessional.

Home page: plain simple. We have loads of text centered, without a proper organization. At the bottom, in faded grey, they have put some info about how the business was made. That grey lettering is used usually for small print about the site, people ususally skips that bit. They should create a section with "About us", as bigger companies do. You don't mix who you are, what you do, and brief list of products all in the same place. I am sure your mum has better cakes to put in the home page. That one looks too simple: all white with a flower... pse... not inviting, not surprising, not good enough to make me see what else you have got. Make an "About us" where you can explain not only how the business was formed, but also say how exciting it is, how it makes you happy to make cakes as they are a symbol of celebration, how your customers come back regularly, how much you like to see their faces when the order the cake, why you have decided to use certain flavours, why you are different, why you feel that passion for bakery... etc. Make another one about "Our Cakes", and put there what sort of flavours you do, if you take requests and suggestions, how long it takes you to do the cake, etc. Keep the main page with an atractive pic of one-three cakes, a nice lettering welcoming you to the site and if you want a small description of what you can find there, and an invitation to go in, something "telling you" to see more.

Wedding cakes: pics too small, none of them opens in a new window. Too monochrome. The cakes are all in white, the background is white, no name or reference with the pic, so if I want to order or ask about one I have to say "that one white with a flower on top, no, not that one, the one in blue, no, the one at the left...." etc.

Classic Style: Same. But all the cakes on the pics have some writting on top. Choose only one cake personalized, the one that has the best writing. Show the rest without anything, and add a line saying "We personalize the cakes with your own message". One pic as example. The other way it makes me: a) Check the writtings and decide if I want it or not depending of the quality of the writting, and b) feel you don't make many cakes, as you have pictured the ones you have made lately for your customers, and you haven't got a sample. I want to "visualize" my message on the cake. I need an empty cake.

Icing photograph: Fine, you need this to be personalized, or they are empty canvases. I would put some funny one, some cartoon. The main market is people buying for kids (football teams, cartoons, films...) and certain celebrations. Put something for kids.

Cartoon and other ... : I am starting to feel that there is way too much diversification/branches here. The last 3 cathegories had only 2-3 cakes. It looks empty. If you go to a forum, and it's empty... do you stay? No. If you go to a club and it's empty, do you stay? No. Well, same with cakes. Make a cathegory like "personalized cakes" or other for "For your kids", or something like that. Duplicate cakes if you need to in different cathegories, some people go to one or two sections only before moving to another place. I want to go to one of this cathegories and feel I need to spend some time looking into these cakes, because you have so many kinds. Less groups, more pics, duplicate if you need to. Per example: wedding, personalized, children, cupcakes and other if you need to. put the tower of cupcakes also in wedding.

In general, the white colour of the background is not a good idea when all the cakes are also white. See if your mum has any cake with a different icing. You say about variety of colours in the home page, but all the cakes are white.

Keep a small menu at the botton, a map site, information of when the site was made, in small lettering.

I was looking for an example, and I found this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] it's the site of a shop. A site half way between yours and this would be good.

PS. My bf says he does it by half the money... xD

Now I fancy cakeeeeeeee!!!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: I Need a Favour   Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:07 pm

Gee Sey,
After all that I may never look at a cake the same again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jueboy
Third Nation

Nation Reputation : 2

PostSubject: Re: I Need a Favour   Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:46 pm

There looks to be 11 pages. TBH, there is alot of free content to be had including but not limited to making your own flash intro and headers. Most of the guys here could make a header that would destroy that one.

I made a website for a crap ton less than that and I have five pages plus extras and the ability to have up to 20 more pages if I desire. It was fairly easy to build and I have very little experience. I'm updating myself and coding can be tricky but not that damn tricky.

I would venture a guess that you could have put a site together for her and asked friends here for graphics and coding help and it would have looked fantastic and only cost around 250 bucks. Add another 100 to get it to pop first in search engines. If she took care of it or knew someone that could help, she wouldn't need a person to do that.

Sounds high. It isn't horrible by any means but for that money it SHOULD look alot better.

On another note, my mom makes and decorates cakes. I've seen a lot of them made and your mom is super talented. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: I Need a Favour   Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:59 pm

I do know...I am going to have dreams tonight with those cupcakes in them.

Those things look so effing yummy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
crashnbyrne
Third Nation

Nation Reputation : 6

PostSubject: Re: I Need a Favour   Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:31 pm

Im disgusted by what iv seen on that site Liam.
I dont know a whole lot about building a website but as a few people here have said, with help from a few us peeps here it would look a lot better for less than a quarter of the price and with no maintenance costs.
Tell her to cancel her payment and just set up a free or cheap site and im sure everyone here with some knowledge will be more than happy to help her out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: I Need a Favour   Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:08 am

Sey, I love you for that.

Crash I said the same thing. She paid the cash up front. Dude promised her a .ie domain and all she got was a .com. Promised much delivered little so he did. I have half a mind to kick him in the nuts.

Basically my brother is gonna get the domain off him, although I reckon we should forget that one and go with something shorter, then we're gonna get someone we know to do a propert job, maintenece done by me.

Gonna report the fucker though.

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I Need a Favour   

Back to top Go down

I Need a Favour

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Entertainment :: Random Chat-