The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.


Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community
 
Log inHomePortalMemberlistRegisterUsergroupsGallerySearchFAQCalendar
Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 
 

 Anyone please HELP!!! I cant take it anymore.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
avatar

Nation Reputation : 167

PostSubject: Anyone please HELP!!! I cant take it anymore.   Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:56 am

OK. So for the last month or so, my modem decides to just reset itself. It happens all the time. Whether Im playing on the ps3, just using the PC, sometimes when nothing is being used at all. Now its one of those Comcast Touchstone Telephony Modems. I used to run the ps3 Nat 1 and went direct from modem to console. When my wife bought a laptop, I had to bring in a router. Even a bit beyond that point, all things worked fine.

At some point, we decided we no longer needed the dumb Comcast Triple Play, cause well, this is the age of cell phones. The only ones ever calling the actual house line were bill collectors and honestly, I was running out of funny excuses and voices to scare them away. We ditched the phone.
When we did that, Comcast told us to power down the modem and router, let everything reset, and voila. Everything should be all good.

Everything is not all good. Ever since then, this damn thing keeps resetting itself on its own.
Is it trying to link a phone that is no longer there?
Is it an external cable problem or power cord problem?
Is the modem itself just junk now?
I just dont get it.
For S&Gs I ran straight to the ps3 like in the old days and it still resets.
It does seem to happen more frequently when Im gaming.
Ive googled. Ive called comcast.
Im at the end of the rope.

I run connection tests, and they are great.

I just dont get this.

If anyone has any info they feel may help...please!
Im getting ready to go ballistic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-Dj-
Seventh Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : -1

PostSubject: Re: Anyone please HELP!!! I cant take it anymore.   Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:07 am

SixHousePull wrote:
OK. So for the last month or so, my modem decides to just reset itself. It happens all the time. Whether Im playing on the ps3, just using the PC, sometimes when nothing is being used at all. Now its one of those Comcast Touchstone Telephony Modems. I used to run the ps3 Nat 1 and went direct from modem to console. When my wife bought a laptop, I had to bring in a router. Even a bit beyond that point, all things worked fine.

At some point, we decided we no longer needed the dumb Comcast Triple Play, cause well, this is the age of cell phones. The only ones ever calling the actual house line were bill collectors and honestly, I was running out of funny excuses and voices to scare them away. We ditched the phone.
When we did that, Comcast told us to power down the modem and router, let everything reset, and voila. Everything should be all good.

Everything is not all good. Ever since then, this damn thing keeps resetting itself on its own.
Is it trying to link a phone that is no longer there?
Is it an external cable problem or power cord problem?
Is the modem itself just junk now?
I just dont get it.
For S&Gs I ran straight to the ps3 like in the old days and it still resets.
It does seem to happen more frequently when Im gaming.
Ive googled. Ive called comcast.
Im at the end of the rope.

I run connection tests, and they are great.

I just dont get this.

If anyone has any info they feel may help...please!
Im getting ready to go ballistic.
turn off the media servers on the ps3
update your router
is your ps3 running on the weird or wireless
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
avatar

Nation Reputation : 167

PostSubject: Re: Anyone please HELP!!! I cant take it anymore.   Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:09 am

I did turn off the media server. Mdawgg suggested that a while back.
Everything is still wired.
How do you update the router?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dingo
Ninth Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : 42

PostSubject: Re: Anyone please HELP!!! I cant take it anymore.   Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:12 am

Sounds like the phone line connection. So when it resets does it just flash the DSL light?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-Dj-
Seventh Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : -1

PostSubject: Re: Anyone please HELP!!! I cant take it anymore.   Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:12 am

SixHousePull wrote:
I did turn off the media server. Mdawgg suggested that a while back.
Everything is still wired.
maybe your should change to a new internet company
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
avatar

Nation Reputation : 167

PostSubject: Re: Anyone please HELP!!! I cant take it anymore.   Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:18 am

Dingo wrote:
Sounds like the phone line connection. So when it resets does it just flash the DSL light?

They all go out. All the way down to the power light. And then with in seconds they go back on one by one.
It gets to link, and that one blinks constantly. But POWER, DS,US,and ONLINE stay solid after the reset. Well, until the next random reset.

-Dj- wrote:
SixHousePull wrote:
I did turn off the media server. Mdawgg suggested that a while back.
Everything is still wired.
maybe your should change to a new internet company

Ya, cause there are any of those.
Around here its comcast or nothing. Can we say Monopoly?


I just get pissed cause usually it wont kick me from a game fully. Ill get stuck half froze in a game until its reset. But in that time if in a tdm or something, I will be killed cause well, my guy is motionless. But it will once in a while network error me out. Nothing pisses me off more than spending almost a half hour in a SH co op to lose all 30,000 xp cause I got kicked from the game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dingo
Ninth Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : 42

PostSubject: Re: Anyone please HELP!!! I cant take it anymore.   Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:21 am

Hmm me would say faulty modem as if the USB light stayed on it would be your phone line connection causeing it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
avatar

Nation Reputation : 167

PostSubject: Re: Anyone please HELP!!! I cant take it anymore.   Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:28 am

Well I dont have the phone any more remember.
We canceled the phone service.

idk.

It just sucks.
Maybe I should call Geek Squad or something.
Comcast is no help. In fact they tried to tell me to contact Sony.
I couldn't get them to understand that it happens even when Im not playing games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-Dj-
Seventh Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : -1

PostSubject: Re: Anyone please HELP!!! I cant take it anymore.   Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:34 am

i thought my internet was bad
nat type on my ps3 is fail lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dingo
Ninth Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : 42

PostSubject: Re: Anyone please HELP!!! I cant take it anymore.   Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:36 am

Well me can say count yourself lucky as me net drops out around 10-20 times a day as me phone line is crap and me provider keeps saying its me den thats the issue even though its not.

Get a pro in to looky at it or fly Sey or ETW over to look at it BUT make sure you have a good bed for ETW and lots of tea/scones
.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
avatar

Nation Reputation : 167

PostSubject: Re: Anyone please HELP!!! I cant take it anymore.   Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:16 am

-Dj- wrote:
i thought my internet was bad
nat type on my ps3 is fail lol

That made me laugh.

Im surprised mine doesnt say that too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D1LDOBAGG1NS
Fifth Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : 2

PostSubject: Re: Anyone please HELP!!! I cant take it anymore.   Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:55 pm

check your router settings and I was having a similar issue due to my laptop and PS3 trying to use the same IP at the same time. But check your settings, see if anything is amiss (IP addresses and what not) and possibly reset to default settings, then unplug the modem to give it a full power down reset (will possibly work) and replug in (mess w/ router after this) also see if you can get Comcast to do a test on your modem and see if it's out of its parameters if so you may need a new modem or they will refresh your signal. In all what Comcast told you to do was only half since they needed to do a refresh of your signal on their end also. .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
avatar

Nation Reputation : 167

PostSubject: Re: Anyone please HELP!!! I cant take it anymore.   Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:55 pm

Thanks Arse.
I hate to admit I have no clue how to access anything involving the router.
They came and set everything up, and that was that. Ive not really messed with it.
I do have the key code to link to the network, but anytime I try to open the files or what ever to the router it opens IE and sends me to some place I cant log into cause I dont know the passwords etc.
I never thought about the IP sharing thing.

The whole thing is just maddening.
Frustrating to say the least.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-Dj-
Seventh Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : -1

PostSubject: Re: Anyone please HELP!!! I cant take it anymore.   Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:12 pm

SixHousePull wrote:
Thanks Arse.
I hate to admit I have no clue how to access anything involving the router.
They came and set everything up, and that was that. Ive not really messed with it.
I do have the key code to link to the network, but anytime I try to open the files or what ever to the router it opens IE and sends me to some place I cant log into cause I dont know the passwords etc.
I never thought about the IP sharing thing.

The whole thing is just maddening.
Frustrating to say the least.
to access the router all you need to is
run Command Prompt
then type ipconfig/all
right down the ip address
open fire fox/ internet explorer put the IP in the http box
you should get msg saying enter name and password
type in admin in the password
press enter
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
avatar

Nation Reputation : 167

PostSubject: Re: Anyone please HELP!!! I cant take it anymore.   Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:08 pm

Thanks deej. Good info,. but it didnt accept admin as a password.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-Dj-
Seventh Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : -1

PostSubject: Re: Anyone please HELP!!! I cant take it anymore.   Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:14 pm

SixHousePull wrote:
Thanks deej. Good info,. but it didnt accept admin as a password.
put user name admin and password admin
that does not work you or someone change it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
banded1
Tenth Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : 59

PostSubject: Re: Anyone please HELP!!! I cant take it anymore.   Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:00 am

try not putting anything. sometime they just have no password but still ask for one
it could be the same with the username
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
avatar

Nation Reputation : 111

PostSubject: Re: Anyone please HELP!!! I cant take it anymore.   Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:00 am

Routers are normally accessed via a web page by typing in an IP address into your browser's address bar: typically 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1

They tend to have a default username and password of 'admin' & 'admin'. Google your particlar router make/model to see what the default username/password is.

To avoid clashes you need to ensure your router is allocating IP addresses via DHCP and that your attached devices are set up to received a dynamically allocated IP address (rather than a manally allocated static one). That said, this is the default state anyway, so unless Comcast set things up weirdly for you this should already be done.

My hunch is that your router has a problem as it seems to be power cycling of its own accord. Perhaps you're getting mains electricity spikes? Anyway, if you can get your hands on another modem to borrow (e.g. from a friend) then it's worth seeing what happens with another modem plugged in for a few days.


Last edited by eattheword on Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-Dj-
Seventh Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : -1

PostSubject: Re: Anyone please HELP!!! I cant take it anymore.   Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:08 am

every time i load up battle field 1943 my routor will turn off of me
Mad takes me like 5mins to get my routor working again
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
avatar

Nation Reputation : 111

PostSubject: Re: Anyone please HELP!!! I cant take it anymore.   Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:12 am

Six, what are the makes & model numbers of your modem and router?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
banded1
Tenth Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : 59

PostSubject: Re: Anyone please HELP!!! I cant take it anymore.   Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:50 am

you can check for a sticker on the bottom/ back of you router/modem that will usually tell you(i.e. model no. h3fowbn3)
if it doesnt have one you can check the manuals that come with them if you still have them. and you can check the router by going to its web page (192.168.1.1 or similar number)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
avatar

Nation Reputation : 167

PostSubject: Re: Anyone please HELP!!! I cant take it anymore.   Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:18 pm

Ive done all that stuff guys thanks.

Ive just given up.

The model number of the modem is TM402P/110 btw. It is an Arris Touchstone Telephony Modem
The router itself is brand effing new, but it is a Comcast Netgear WGR614
I see no model number other than that.


Ive tried all combination of passwords etc. Nothing works.

I thought I had found the problem last night. I noticed while on the ps3 that the IP address that was auto detected ages ago was still the old one prior to all this converting. Essentially, the .1 at the end needed to be a .3 instead.
But after the auto detect and reassignment, its gotten even worse.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-Dj-
Seventh Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : -1

PostSubject: Re: Anyone please HELP!!! I cant take it anymore.   Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:21 pm

SixHousePull wrote:
Ive done all that stuff guys thanks.

Ive just given up.

The model number of the modem is TM402P/110 btw. It is an Arris Touchstone Telephony Modem
The router itself is brand effing new, but it is a Comcast Netgear WGR614
I see no model number other than that.


Ive tried all combination of passwords etc. Nothing works.

I thought I had found the problem last night. I noticed while on the ps3 that the IP address that was auto detected ages ago was still the old one prior to all this converting. Essentially, the .1 at the end needed to be a .3 instead.
But after the auto detect and reassignment, its gotten even worse.
tell comcast to fix it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
banded1
Tenth Nation
avatar

Nation Reputation : 59

PostSubject: Re: Anyone please HELP!!! I cant take it anymore.   Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:33 pm

tell comcast to shove it up their ass and give you allnew equpiment

did you try username admin and 0000 for the password btw?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
avatar

Nation Reputation : 167

PostSubject: Re: Anyone please HELP!!! I cant take it anymore.   Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:49 pm

yeah


And when ever I call Comcast they tell me Im crazy cause

"All our tests show the connection to be excellent Sir."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Anyone please HELP!!! I cant take it anymore.   

Back to top Go down
 

Anyone please HELP!!! I cant take it anymore.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Entertainment :: Random Chat-
Jump to: