The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

Christmas cheer and The New Year.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
kratosXS
Sixth Nation

Nation Reputation : 74

PostSubject: Christmas cheer and The New Year.   Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:54 pm

I've decided to create this thread to give us an opportunity to say what it is about Christmas we like. Even if you don't like it let us know why. Like Leo, I too dislike shopping, but there's something about this time of year that I don't mind it. I like quietness but the jingle and sounds of Christmas are different. Maybe you have a funny story relating to a previous Christmas that makes the Season special for you. Post it. We'd love to hear about it. Later we could use the thread for Season's greetings as the day gets closer. To get the thread up and running I came up with a few verses to get us into the spirit. I hope you like it. Member's names are highlighted in yellow. Apologies in advance if your name doesn't appear. I wanted it finished before Christmas.

'Twas the night before Christmas
And all through the Nation
Not a gamer was stirring
Not even ESRaistlin.

Nobody had trouble sleeping
Not even insomnielf,
While Toxxy getting better
Pinned a sock to the shelf.

Everyone was dreaming
'Bout what Sixer Claus would bring 'em,
But Eat was worried the letters to Sixer
Hadn't the correct spelling or grammer in them.

Even the ninja, Cobalt Grinch
Had a treat,
And left some pizza on the bench
For Sixer to eat.

All X-mas Eve had been spent being jolly
The Mistletoe Morty had put up just fine,
The tree Dj decorated with tinsel and holly
The lights switched on by our friend omega9.

Away in the distance came the sound of Sleigh bells
And the magical sound couldn't wake even Cel,
The magic of the night it just didn't lag
As up in their rooms slept Racer and Jag.

Then up on the roof
With a landing so light
Red Nosed Ratchet and Blitzen
Had come in the night.

With a Leo-Ho-Ho Sixer left his SleighberLeigh
And with Seyelf,
And Ozzys_Little_Helper
Came down the chimney.

In the morning the Nation did wake with a start
And even our Liam couldn't help make a ---- (pop tart),
Everyone did wake to the sound of a yell
As the first to awake was our sister TuxGirl.

Everyone wondered what was in their box
from Josey to Crash and even Shatten_Fox,
Away in the corner Sponge was doing a dance
As he was finally able to put on a pants.

All were happy to be part of the Nation
As long as there wasn't
A debate on Creation. Laughing

Last edited by kratosXSanta. on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eve
Eighth Nation

Nation Reputation : 26

PostSubject: Re: Christmas cheer and The New Year.   Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:24 pm

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Clap Clap Clap Clap cheers cheers cheers

THIS IS AWESOME!!!
your awesome
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SparklyBazongaz,
11th Nation

Nation Reputation : 37

PostSubject: Re: Christmas cheer and The New Year.   Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:39 pm

Thats awesome-foursome!

yay i was included Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 203

PostSubject: Re: Christmas cheer and The New Year.   Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:08 pm

Plus one
Good show, K. Clap Very entertaining.

Don't really have a Christmas story that stands out, myself. But I do wish the best of holidays to all in the Nation. Cheers.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Raistlin
Eighth Nation

Nation Reputation : 67

PostSubject: Re: Christmas cheer and The New Year.   Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:29 pm

Plus one

Can't say I'm a big fan of christmas, but this deserved it for sure. Nice work!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leo_337
14th Nation

Nation Reputation : 113

PostSubject: Re: Christmas cheer and The New Year.   Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:57 am

Top stuff, K... Love it. cheers

Love shopping too, BTW, it's just my back that can't take it anymore... Sad

Christmas stories, eh? Ummm.... I remember nothing about Christmas eve 1992...... Neutral

Not quite what you were after? Okay, let me have a think on this one... * Wanders off to reminisce as best he can... *
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cel
13th Nation

Nation Reputation : 61

PostSubject: Re: Christmas cheer and The New Year.   Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:49 am

Plus one Brilliant Kratos.
I literally laughed so hard reading that.
Grrrrrrr you so rock..

I remember many MANY moons ago one particular year we Marler kids must have been hell on wheels because when we awoke that Christmas morning,hauled ass into the living room we came across 2 HUGE ( Shocked ) bags of switches under the tree.Not a Barbie dream house as I requested.. Sad Upon reading the note from "Santa" I was quick to place the blame on my 3 rotten siblings..After my parents were sure we learned the important lesson of how the naughty/nice list works they brought out our REAL presents.Still didn't get my damn Barbie dream house though. Sad
That was also the year I found the truth about the fat man in the red suit as I had recognized my mother's hand writting on the letter from "Santa".
HAPPY HOLIDAYS NATION. :Xmastree:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: Christmas cheer and The New Year.   Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:53 am

You still haven't received your Barbie Dream house have you Cel?
How does that make you feel?
Full of Murderous Rage?
Will you become an axe weilding Crazy woman who marries rich men and then kills them for the money?

Kratos, nicely written.

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cel
13th Nation

PostSubject: Re: Christmas cheer and The New Year.   Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:06 am

Liam wrote:
You still haven't received your Barbie Dream house have you Cel?
How does that make you feel?
Full of Murderous Rage?
Will you become an axe weilding Crazy woman who marries rich men and then kills them for the money?

Twisted Evil

Cool

Come on Liam....Share a story to deter my sad Christmas story.Pweeeease Sir Liam? bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: Christmas cheer and The New Year.   Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:49 am

Thinking
Christmas Story...
Hmmm.
Mine tend to follow the same route.
Christmas Eve 3am sitting on the stairs with my older brother threatening to beat me unless I speak gaelic.
Christmas day hang overs with kids screaming their heads off.
Find some way to not go to mass cause my mother doesn't care that I am no longer a Catholic by choice cause I was raised one and I'll damn well act like one. Go to the church, light up a smoke just before we get there, say I'll be in in a minute after I finish the smoke, go home after everyone else is gone inside. Have my mother giving me the third degree on the mass. "The bald priest said it." "Which bald priest?" I dunno their names other than Tall baldy, medium baldy and short baldy. Be called a heathen by my mother then watch her laugh.
UNLCE LIAM WANTS SOME SLEEP!

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cel
13th Nation

PostSubject: Re: Christmas cheer and The New Year.   Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:46 am

Laughing LMAO ^

The creators of South Park tell the best Christmas story ever...

South Park - Woodland Critter Christmas
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Shame!!! You didn't think I was going to expose this sick and twisted tale chop full of hilarious awesomeness to our young forum users and to our slightly offended forum users did you?Tempting as it is I know the

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
omega9
Ninth Nation

Nation Reputation : 29

PostSubject: Re: Christmas cheer and The New Year.   Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:47 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Laughing LMAO ^

The creators of South Park tell the best Christmas story ever...

South Park - Woodland Critter Christmas
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Shame!!! You didn't think I was going to expose this sick and twisted tale chop full of hilarious awesomeness to our young forum users and to our slightly offended forum users did you?Tempting as it is I know the

Cool
POOP ON YOU.

I haven't seen that episode. Sad
Tease.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kratosXS
Sixth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Christmas cheer and The New Year.   Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:53 pm

Thanks everyone for the kind words, and thanks to Cel and Liam for getting involved. I don't know what exactly it is about Christmas that I like. I know it's all noise and stuff, but I actually look forward to it every year. It's a little bit of everything I guess. The Winter is well and truly set in, with dark evenings and cold, frosty weather that goes along with it. I guess the Christmas helps to break up the bleakness of the season, and gets us moving into the Spring.

My fall from grace with Santa 🎅 came about when I discovered his presents before he left the North Pole. I knew then something was up. scratch But I'm not one to refuse freebies. I had my head screwed on enough not to rock the boat. I kept welcoming him with open arms. cheers I was nearly old enough to have kids of my own before he officially kicked me from his list.

Liam, lol! I found a picture of those priests

Spoiler:

See how each one is shorter than the other.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eriktr0n
Fourth Nation

Nation Reputation : 5

PostSubject: Re: Christmas cheer and The New Year.   Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:06 pm

Eriktr0n loves Christmas!

It's really the only time of year other that my whole family is in the same house as our schedules are really messed up. Also, it helps that my mom and I have recently developed a new tradition in which we both drink entirely too much wine/egg nog and spend the rest of the night annoying the hell out of everyone else! It's been quite fun the last couple of years.

The only part that isn't so great is that we all still get up around 4 or 5 am because my sisters (and myself as well I won't lie) have trouble sleeping through the excitement of Christmas day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: Christmas cheer and The New Year.   Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:44 am

Musta been before they lost the hair.

Erik I have that same problem. Mostly though its my bro coming in and waking me up asking me for some smokes.
Had my girlfriend down last year and while we were getting into the spirit of things in bed in blasts through the doors smacking it off the wall as loud as he can then stomping over to the bed and tapping me in the shoulder and whispers, "Liam can ya hear me, you awake I need a smoke but be quiet don't want to wake mam and dad." Lisa was like affraid Pointed him towards where the smokes were. Grabs a hand full and stumbles out the door, Singing christmas carols at the top of his voice.

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Back to top Go down
View user profile
kratosXS
Sixth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Christmas cheer and The New Year.   Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:43 am

Yeah they must have pulled their hair out trying to get you to Mass!

They've now tried to break into the music business. Aarrgghh!

Spoiler:

I remember one year when I was about twelve or thirteen, we didn't buy a Christmas tree , but instead my father took me off on what I thought was a major expedition. We went off cutting our own one. We only went about half a mile way, but to me it was the excitement of the occassion. There was a full moon, and it was a very frosty night. The grass was crunching beneath our feet. He made it sound like we were on some spec ops duty, and the excitement was hard to cover up. We took a very circuitous route to "avoid being spotted" by the neighbours. As we were on our mission we could see the neighbours lights on in the distance, and see them going about their business. We even had black clothes on, even our beanies. Short of blackening our faces, we were like an elite unit.

The route we took made the journey a bit longer, and took us over streams. We eventually got to our destination, a grove of trees consisting of about twenty. But to me it could have been a forest in The Amazon. My father shimmied up the tree while I acted as "lookout". We then collected our prize and returned home. THe feeling that we had achieved something using a bit of subterfuge, and without the neighbours knowledge really made my Christmas that year. I still laugh when I think of it today, and the knowledge that the neighbours couldn't have cared less doesn't take from the memories.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cel
13th Nation

PostSubject: Re: Christmas cheer and The New Year.   Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:50 am

Ah man Kratos.. good story.My dad was the biggest sucker for christmas.He loved every minute of it.He wasn't good a keeping secrets either.Some where in conversations he would leak out what we had gotten from him and my mom.The element of surprised did nothing for him.It was the expressions on our faces once we knew what we had gotten that made his christmas.Mom would be so mad with him. Laughing When his first grandchild came along my mom had to damn near threaten his life to keep his mouth shut about her gifts.
I would do anything for those moments back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kratosXS
Sixth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Christmas cheer and The New Year.   Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:18 pm

You're right Cel. Memories are so important and as we get older, the more important they become. I'm like your Dad in that I just love everything to do with Christmas. I may be a bit better at keeping a secret, though. Everyone in my family loves Christmas, and we always felt that no matter how bad the year had been, Christmas was a special time to be together.

I almost put paid to that one year though. I don't know what age I was, maybe eight or nine. I had developed a liking for fire and matches. I played all kinds of tricks with them. Flicking them off the flint and getting them to light mid-air was one. I also liked testing how quickly plants and leaves would catch fire. Well this year I outdid myself. We had two sets of Pampas Grass in pots on either side of the fire. Being as curious as I was I decided to see how quickly they would catch fire. If I did, as soon as the flame hit the plant, whoosh, the whole thing went up in a blaze.

Well the hair was literally standing upright on my head. affraid I went as white as a ghost. My legs went numb, and I went into shock. It was a good job my mom and my older brother and sister were in the house with me. They took charge of the situation. They got the fire under control. I started crying with the shock, and couldn't speak for ages. The wallpaper behind the plant had also caught fire. When everything had calmed down, there was a black burn mark on the wall. Good job there weren't drapes or something flammable nearby. How close were we to being homeless that Christmas? I laugh at it now, but I wasn't laughing then. It could have been very serious. That cured me of my Pyromaniac tendencies fairly quick. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
banded1
Tenth Nation

Nation Reputation : 59

PostSubject: Re: Christmas cheer and The New Year.   Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:46 pm

im in a song Excited
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TRVJAG1
Sixth Nation

Nation Reputation : 6

PostSubject: Re: Christmas cheer and The New Year.   Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:12 pm

YAY! I Iz Included.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
omega9
Ninth Nation

Nation Reputation : 29

PostSubject: Re: Christmas cheer and The New Year.   Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:09 pm

I too am elated that mine own nomenclature hath been inserted unto thine merry jingle which ye hath so niceley and generously constructed with thine own muse and made public for our enjoyment during this most venerable of seasons.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

Nation Reputation : 167

PostSubject: Re: Christmas cheer and The New Year.   Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:11 pm

I've grown to like Christmas much more now with kids of my own. Growing up it wasn't anything special.

It was, I s'pose, but not in the way it is for most others.

I think the main reason I like Christmas so much now, is because it's the one day the whole world kind of shuts down for a bit. No matter what anyone's religious beliefs are, there is a common respect for the day that human kind generally doesn't offer one another the rest of the year. It is a small glimpse of what we as a race could be, if everyone could so easily put the b.s aside the rest of the time. I like that and find it a little sad that it can only be done one time of the year.

With that said, I do have several good memory's of Christmas. And even thought I love this topic and give kudos to k for making it, those memories belong to me and are personal. Sharing them here in the forum wouldn't increase or decrease their value to me, but will mean little to the rest of the users reading this.

So instead of sharing memories, I want emphasis the importance of making them. Because even though I don't have many, the ones I do have I will carry forever, and you never know when you can be the one to make a memorable moment for someone to carry with them forever.

I used to work at a K mart nearby. At the time, it was the first the world had seen tickle me Elmo. I cant tell you how nasty people can become in retail stores this time of year. I stood, unpacking a box of HotWheels (side note...there is no one more annoying in this world than a HotWheels car collector) and watched as a women almost shouted with glee as she pulled one of these coveted Elmos out that had been buried deep in the shelves. Most likely by an employee who hadnt, like I did, gotten one out of a box before stocking them. (It was common practice. 10 cases came in, one would get divided out amongst employees.)
I became horrified as I watched another women all but shove this lady down to the ground snatching the elmo and running off. I wanted to chase after her, but instead I helped the other woman up. And the whole time she was sobbing. "Its the only thing he wants. Its all I planned on getting and all I can afford. How can someone do that? Its supposed to be Christmas. What am I gonna do? I called all these places and you guys were the only ones to have just gotten another shipment." She was a wreck.

"Wait here."
I told her, and went off to retrieve my hidden Elmo.
I never saw the women again, and I never even met the kid. But to know that I helped make that kids Christmas morning and help that women feel like she could actually give her kid something......I wouldn't trade that for anything.
Having memories is good.
Making them is even better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kratosXS
Sixth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Christmas cheer and The New Year.   Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:44 pm

That's a +1 from me Six. You've said it all in one go. You helped that lady in two ways, and made her Christmas more enjoyable. There's always smartasses lurking around waiting for any opportunity, without considering other people. There's people who profess to be "religious" who wouldn't have bothered. But what you did is what the spirit of Christmas is all about. Caring for others also makes you feel good about yorself. Good stuff.

Like you said , it's amazing how all the bs can be put aside for one day and how humanity can shine through for a few hours. During the troubles in Northern Ireland, a ceasefire was called on Christmas Day. Why couldn't that be implemented all year round and a lot fewer people would have lost their lives? No religion or cause is worth the huge loss of one life .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kratosXS
Sixth Nation

PostSubject: Re: Christmas cheer and The New Year.   Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:21 am

So I've edited the title of this thread to include the New Year as it too is an important part of the season. I hope you all will use this thread to wish each other a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

So the Christmas is fast approaching and I must start putting up the decorations. I know once the season is over I'll be cursing having to remove them, but for now I'll enjoy them to get into the spirit. I'm a sucker for Christmas, and I love everything that goes along with it. The lights, the shopping, the genuine feeling of good will that comes to the fore this time every year. It's just a fantastic time of year, and the only shame is that the spirit of Christmas can't survive beyond these few days. No, once Christmas is gone the world will revert back to the cynical planet it is for the remaining eleven months of the year. Sure there will be a minority of really good people that will do their best to keep the spirit alive on a daily basis, but the majority will go about their business with little thought for those less well off. As I said it's a great shame. But it's the world we live in. That's why it's so important to make the most of these few days to breathe it in, and see what the human race has the potential for if we but dream.

I will begin my Christmas by going to midnight Mass on Christmas Eve. I absolutely love it. The choir, hymns, and the general feeling of peace that reminds me what the season is all about. To spend the first few moments of Christmas in the presence of the Lord brings me that much closer to Him. There is no better way of getting closer to the man than to share His body in the Eucharist. To me it's the fullest meaning of what Christmas is when I can become that close to Him. I wouldn't trade that relationship for anything this world has to offer. I hope whatever you do on the day will bring as much enjoyment and meaning to your life.

I also wanted to say something about the New Year. I came up with an idea that in principle is cool. It may not be very practical though. I was going to say that it would be a fantastic way to start the New Year if we all sent New Year messages, at the exact momemt the New Year arrived in our area. It would mean that we could be in touch at the very first moment of 2010, and everyone else could respond. It would just be a way of making us that bit closer as a community. I mean midnight where Shatten Fox is would be about 2pm Christmas Eve here and in Britain, while it would be about 9am where Six is. I think it would be an amazing way to strengthen the bonds we have formed. I know people will be at parties, and so won't have access to computers. But it would be neat if as many people as possible could do it. I'll do it anyway as I never go out on New Year's Eve. With such a vast unknown ahead that is a brand new year, anything could happen, good or bad. That is why I like the first few moments to be with my family. I don't know what will be my story next year. As I consider all of you my extended family, I want to be as close to you as possible. That means sending you a simple Happy New Year at the exact moment it arrives.

It needn't be anything huge. Just Happy New Year. I'll type it up a few minutes in advance so that when the moment arrives, send will be pressed and I will be in touch as the bells ring in 2010. I hope a few more of you will consider it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: Christmas cheer and The New Year.   Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:24 am

Christmas Eve going onto midnight, I'll be dragging my Bros from the pub. Might be a few minutes late in getting the message in.

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Christmas cheer and The New Year.   

Back to top Go down

Christmas cheer and The New Year.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Entertainment :: Random Chat-
Jump to: