The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

Valkurie's Work

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Valkurie
Fifth Nation
Valkurie

Nation Reputation : 5

Valkurie's Work Empty
PostSubject: Valkurie's Work   Valkurie's Work Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 4:09 pm

Is there an affordable program out there that is comparable to photoshop for editing?

*********NOTE*****************

I have edited the title of the thread so that I can post up the work that I do in here Laughing Hope it doesn't confuse you guys!!!!! Rolling Eyes facepalm2

Last edited by Valkurie on Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:54 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Seyel

Nation Reputation : 82

Valkurie's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Valkurie's Work   Valkurie's Work Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 7:15 pm

Some people use "Gimp", which is free. Comparable? Idk. I think Photoshop is the best out there for the average user.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

Valkurie's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Valkurie's Work   Valkurie's Work Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 6:10 am

I use Gimp, useful, free, kinda like Photoshop. Do all my graphic adverts with it.

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Valkurie
Fifth Nation
Valkurie

Valkurie's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Valkurie's Work   Valkurie's Work Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 6:57 am

Ty Lod.. I will try Gimp out and see how I like it
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Valkurie's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Valkurie's Work   Valkurie's Work Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 7:10 am

What a Face She called me Lod she now accepts me as her saviour! Welcome to the church of Lesus and the modern day drunks.

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.

Back to top Go down
Valkurie
Fifth Nation
Valkurie

Valkurie's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Valkurie's Work   Valkurie's Work Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 6:12 pm

ok... I have GIMP now... and have downloaded all the brush packs I can find......

..... how do I "install" them?

I found threads on devianart that say copy the files into the brush folder within GIMP... but there is no specified brush folder.

I feel like such a noob >.<

Help me obi-wan kenobi, you're my only hope...
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

Nation Reputation : 167

Valkurie's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Valkurie's Work   Valkurie's Work Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 6:16 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
ok... I have GIMP now... and have downloaded all the brush packs I can find......

..... how do I "install" them?

I found threads on devianart that say copy the files into the brush folder within GIMP... but there is no specified brush folder.

I feel like such a noob >.<

Help me obi-wan kenobi, you're my only hope...

Click/ open these folders....

Computer> Program Files> Gimp 2.0> Share> Gimp> 2.0> Brushes

Copy and paste into the Brushes folders

All I have ever used is Gimp
Back to top Go down
Valkurie
Fifth Nation
Valkurie

Valkurie's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Valkurie's Work   Valkurie's Work Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 7:12 pm

Thank you!!!!!!

Are there downloads that you can get for GIMP other than the brushes? I'd like to find fonts and gradients - haven't checked out DevianArt in it's entirety yet
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

Valkurie's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Valkurie's Work   Valkurie's Work Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 7:21 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

These are just a few places you can get free fonts. All you will have to do with these is place them in your Windows font folder.
The Gimp program will find them there and load them into the program for you. Thats why Gimp seems to lock up sometimes when searching for fonts while loading. If you install a bunch of new ones at once, I would expect your initial launch of gimp to be slow after installing those fonts.

I have to admit I never looked around for other gradients. They may be out there, but idk.

Any other questions let me know. Im not super dee dooper the best with gimp or can claim to know all its ins and outs, but like I said, its all Ive used for 4 years. You tube has TONS of tutorials too.

For super in depth help, you can always go here as well.

Also: Gimp is a memory whore. Try not to run too many other programs while using it or it can and may freeze up on ya.
SAVE your work often!
Back to top Go down
Valkurie
Fifth Nation
Valkurie

Valkurie's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Valkurie's Work   Valkurie's Work Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 7:28 pm

Thank you, and I prolly will have more questions for you..

.... I had photoshop at one time, until my previous desktop gave up the ghost and died on me. By that point, I no longer had the original DL file for Photoshop, and couldn't find my disk either.

I LOVE doing graphics work, and have missed it. I'm stoked about trying this out!!!
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

Valkurie's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Valkurie's Work   Valkurie's Work Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 8:26 pm

No sweat. And anytime.

Im so on and off with sigs and stuff. I dont really have much time for it so I get all rusty and make bad art.
Other times, not so bad.

Gimp really isnt too bad an alternative to PS. It doesnt have the ease I dont think (Ive never used PS but looking at tuts its all, click this and do that for certain effects, while in Gimp you have to hand do a lot of those), but it definitely has the same capabilities.
Back to top Go down
banded1
Tenth Nation
banded1

Nation Reputation : 59

Valkurie's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Valkurie's Work   Valkurie's Work Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 10:37 pm

i love me some PS. i should get back into it. im all rusty like

i need to uhhh... procure... myself CS5 Razz
Back to top Go down
Valkurie
Fifth Nation
Valkurie

Valkurie's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Valkurie's Work   Valkurie's Work Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 10:56 pm

Hahaha..... yeah... i wish I could have gotten my hands on that.... my trial ran out a while back...

GIMP is pretty comparable in most aspects so far.. just having to learn my way around it and figure out the way this program works....... miss my gradients and such..
Back to top Go down
banded1
Tenth Nation
banded1

Valkurie's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Valkurie's Work   Valkurie's Work Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 11:08 pm

yea. gradients and gradient maps

i hear they arent the same on gimp. on PS gradient = click gradient. pick colour(s). ????. PROFIT

if your looking for some renders or backgrounds i have a few in my thread

watch out opening those spoiler tags, they may take a while to load Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Valkurie's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Valkurie's Work   Valkurie's Work Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 5:26 am

I'm running GIMP okay now so if it starts to slow down on you I found increasing the Virtual Memory helped me a lot.

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Back to top Go down
Valkurie
Fifth Nation
Valkurie

Valkurie's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Valkurie's Work   Valkurie's Work Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 7:13 am

So far I haven't had any issues with it slowing down... my PC has a dual core processes so that helps.....

I miss my ability to warp text Sad

Working on a new sign... so we'll see how it does.. I need to do the help manual and do some more searches for addons/downloads.

Already did something with my avatar!
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Valkurie's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Valkurie's Work   Valkurie's Work Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 7:17 am

How do you mean Warp Text?

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Back to top Go down
banded1
Tenth Nation
banded1

Valkurie's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Valkurie's Work   Valkurie's Work Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 4:13 pm

warping is it making it curvy or being able to have it kinda "wonky". like it starts small and grows taller in the middle then ends small. i think that ones called fish-eye?
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Valkurie's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Valkurie's Work   Valkurie's Work Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 4:26 am

Ah, six knows how to do that.

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Back to top Go down
Valkurie
Fifth Nation
Valkurie

Valkurie's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Valkurie's Work   Valkurie's Work Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 7:01 am

Oh siiiiiiiiix...............
Back to top Go down
Valkurie
Fifth Nation
Valkurie

Valkurie's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Valkurie's Work   Valkurie's Work Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 pm

First Sig Down!!!
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Valkurie's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Valkurie's Work   Valkurie's Work Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 4:13 am

Very Nice for a first GIMP sig.

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

Valkurie's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Valkurie's Work   Valkurie's Work Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 5:31 am

I can text along a path. Make borders through the Grow option etc. Not sure what you were/are looking to do?

I like how you have it. If it is in layers though, Id maybe drop the opacity on the black label and valkurie text a little.
Back to top Go down
Valkurie
Fifth Nation
Valkurie

Valkurie's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Valkurie's Work   Valkurie's Work Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 5:42 am

Yes, it's in layers... didn't even think about opacity.. thank you!

Oh... and can you create renders in GIMP? I was trying to figure out how to cut out images last night.. and wasn't having much luck...
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

Valkurie's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Valkurie's Work   Valkurie's Work Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 5:50 am

Path tool

and patience.

Unlike the tut...I like to zoom the image in to better place the points.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Valkurie's Work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Valkurie's Work   Valkurie's Work Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Valkurie's Work

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: User Gen :: Graphic Artists (sigs, manip, etc)-
Jump to: