The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

Extra Life $237 raised so far

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

Nation Reputation : 63

Extra Life $237 raised so far - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extra Life $237 raised so far   Extra Life $237 raised so far - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 7:49 pm

Got any sort of game plan for Saturday Six?
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

Nation Reputation : 167

PostSubject: Re: Extra Life $237 raised so far   Extra Life $237 raised so far - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 8:24 pm

lolz. I was just posting and you ninja'ed me Watch

Pre day opener

This is my log. This is my diary. This is the events as they unfold.

Okay.

I figured I would set things up tonight because once tomorrow starts I really wont know what to expect. At this point, I had hoped to have some plan. Maybe even a schedule to post. There just hasn't been time. And really, when I think about it, what is there to plan? It's just playing video games right? Im really not so worried about the first 24 hours themselves. Don't get me wrong. It does seem a bit daunting to try to do ANYTHING for 24 hours non stop. But Ive been a gamer for as long as I can remember. And as I think about the state of things at work, real life, etc....hell...24 hours of gaming is a mini vacation. So on the contrary, I am eager to face the challenge.

No, I worry about the NEXT 24 hours. As the saying goes...there aint no rest for the wicked.
After the marathon is over, my duty as a fundraising video game super hero is over. My role in my family is not. With the wife working over night on Sat., daddy daycare will be open on Sunday as she sleeps after her shift. This will be closer to a 30 some hour run before I can close my eyes. Yikes!
I havent done that since Megan was still an infant.

So why do it? Isnt it silly Six to take a day off work, raise a handfull of dollars, and play vg's for 24 hours? Why?

idk. I support the cause. You see, there is this empathic part of you as a parent. And any parent who might be reading this knows already exactly what I mean. In my case, it sometimes is compounded I think by my own experiences.

See growing up I was horribly asthmatic. I mean bad. A slow jog could easily turn into a fight for oxygen. Cold to warm air. Allergic reactions. Everything triggered an attack.
Your bronchial tubes close and your chest tightens like someone is sitting on you. It doesn't matter how hard you tried to force your lungs into working they just cant fight against the narrow air passages and you only make them sore. You try to stretch and move around in a way to help loosen the ache in your lungs. The coughing. The wheezing. Being allergic to everything made it worse. Having a cold guaranteed that I was in for a 1 month long hell until I was able to fully breath as easily as everyone does normally everyday. I couldnt play most sports. I couldnt play with the other kids. As far as health issues goes asthma was really minor yes. But it had a huge impact on my life.

This is something I have passed on to my son. And while I am confident that he too will "out grow" it all like I did someday, it doesnt stop that empathic ping to hear HIM wheeze.
To see him going through all the same things I did.
He was 3 when they finally felt comfortable diagnosing him with asthma. He was 3 when we began Albuteral through a nebulizer. That was the first day i ever felt powerless as a parent.

Now, again...when looking in the proper perspective...its kind of small potatoes. But there isnt a minute that goes by where I don't wish I could pull out some magic wand and make it all go away for him. Because I remember what it was like to be that kid. But see, you cant.
And there is nothing worse for a parent than having to admit that sometimes...you just cant magic wand it away. No matter what it is. Health. Life lesson. What ever. Somethings you just have to endure WITH them, and help them through it as best you can.

I consider myself lucky. These things aside I and my family are healthy. What we face is nothing. Something to cope with. I guess nuisance is a good word. To some of these kids Extra Life is trying to help, what they face is much much worse. And not only do they have to face it, many, depending on the case, have to fight to survive it. Now, Im just a guy with an asthmatic kid and I want a magic wand. How big of a wand would those kids' parents want? Exactly how far would any of them be willing to go just to make it all go away?
But the truth remains...some things just cant be magic wanded away.
That doesn't mean I/we cant help them fight. Maybe together.....we can make a magic wand.
And thats why I have chosen to do this. Not just this year. But the next. And the next. And how ever many of these things there may be.
See...I want a magic wand too!

So...in about 12 hours my 24 hour "game" a thon begins. Once again I want to thank those who have donated to Extra Life in any way. I looked into Sarcastic Gamer, The CMN, etc pretty well before backing this and assure you the donation is worth it.

I want to thank Laim too for a handful of tips and tricks to help me through. They will be put to practice I am sure. I suppose he is a 'trainer" of sorts. Razz

So, check back. Ill keep a posting through the event ala blog style but the thread is still open to all for discussion. I think its safe to say I wont be on tonight.
Ill be around all day sat though. Razz

Back to top Go down
Vrals597
Seventh Nation
Vrals597

Nation Reputation : -15

PostSubject: Re: Extra Life $237 raised so far   Extra Life $237 raised so far - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 8:59 pm

good luck
Back to top Go down
banded1
Tenth Nation
banded1

Nation Reputation : 59

PostSubject: Re: Extra Life $237 raised so far   Extra Life $237 raised so far - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 10:34 pm

i assume you start a 12 AM? i'll be seeing you tomorrow during the day. i just remembered im an hour ahead and i had wanted to start with you.. but that makes it 1 AM here, and im beat today so i'll be missing that
Back to top Go down
Dmick024
Sixth Nation
Dmick024

Nation Reputation : 12

PostSubject: Re: Extra Life $237 raised so far   Extra Life $237 raised so far - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 7:08 am

i thought i read on the site it starts at 8am. but whose 8 am is the real question. good luck. inbetween rounds if you can stretch and get the blood pumping you should be gold. plus caffeine.

good cause too. i lost the chance to know a cousin of mine because of leukemia.
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: Extra Life $237 raised so far   Extra Life $237 raised so far - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 7:16 am

Starts soon actually. Timezones aside, everyone is supposed to start at 8 A.M in their "region" and play until 8 A.M Sunday the next day.

Checking on page I am happy to see we are now at 200 dollars coming in through contributions made by my play. In total, which is still being added the whole is over 300K in donations to the CMN, and that total is still climbing.

Thanks again to everyone. Special thanks to..well.... you know who you are Wink

In 45 minutes I begin. The coffee is on and already in my veins. I have gotten all the "must have dones" done so I can focus on games and what ever things spring up through the day. The first half should go smooth. I'll have the kids to help sit and play with me and I have a feeling the first 12 will go pretty quick.
The over night is where Im thinking the challenge will come.

Thanks all for the gl wishes, thanks for the donations, thanks for taking a bit of you, and using it to help someone else. Really....thats all life is about.

Sorry to hear D. Thats terrible.

Last edited by Six on Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Vrals597
Seventh Nation
Vrals597

Nation Reputation : -15

PostSubject: Re: Extra Life $237 raised so far   Extra Life $237 raised so far - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 7:25 am

That sucks, D.

I have to say, Six, things are always much easier when they're are others to do it with, plus it can't hurt to get the kids involved. Having pulled all nighters myself I know how hard it can be to stay up the whole night, but I bet that coffee is going to help a lot.
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: Extra Life $237 raised so far   Extra Life $237 raised so far - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 7:40 am

TBh, I sat and tried to think when was the last time I actually did try to stay up all day and night with the sole purpose of playing a video game. My memory brings me to 1991. Super mario Bros. 3
That game was epic, highly anticipated, and me my buddies stayed up all night and well into the next day playing that game.
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: Extra Life $237 raised so far   Extra Life $237 raised so far - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 8:00 am

AAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand GO!

We start with Castle Crashers!
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: Extra Life $237 raised so far   Extra Life $237 raised so far - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 9:17 am

A little over 1 hour in and I have gotten my Barbarian from lvl one to nine.
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: Extra Life $237 raised so far   Extra Life $237 raised so far - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 10:03 am

Starting hour 3. I have learned I can only handle about 2 hours of Castle Crashers
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: Extra Life $237 raised so far   Extra Life $237 raised so far - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 12:04 pm

moving to PC related games atm. The ps3 is making funny noises already.

My plan so far is 4 hours console, 1-2 pc, back to console, rinse repeat. That should help break up the monotony.
Gone through more game swaps than I had thought.
1 and half hours of R3 Mp is more than enough for one dose for me btw.
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: Extra Life $237 raised so far   Extra Life $237 raised so far - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 1:35 pm

Up to $237 with more donations received today!

Well, I did some Bejeweled Blitz and Plant Vs. Zombies while eating a sammich.
I will give that to using the PC for gaming. Point and click allows the other hand to hold food.
Almost one quarter of the way in. My eyes are already starting to bug out. Me thinks a pro active ibuprofen is in order. Im already starting to find a wall.
May have to break out the old dl'ed FF VII.
Back to top Go down
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

PostSubject: Re: Extra Life $237 raised so far   Extra Life $237 raised so far - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 6:26 pm

Hope you are holding up Six! have some cyber cheers !! Go six, Go Six!

YOU CAN DO IT!!

Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: Extra Life $237 raised so far   Extra Life $237 raised so far - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 7:02 pm

Its gotten easier. Having the kids around to play with has been a help. We've done just about everything. Right now Im in a bejeweled blitz run again. I havent spent any coins on boosts since i started the run this morning. I want to see just how many I can earn in 24 hours with out using any.
Back to top Go down
jadedoblivion
Seventh Nation
jadedoblivion

Nation Reputation : 19

PostSubject: Re: Extra Life $237 raised so far   Extra Life $237 raised so far - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 7:26 pm

go six goooo !
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: Extra Life $237 raised so far   Extra Life $237 raised so far - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 8:41 pm

Past the half way. Ill be back on PSN soon.

I have rapped Pogo for all its worth at this point.
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: Extra Life $237 raised so far   Extra Life $237 raised so far - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 12:00 am

Two thirds of the way in! I once again renounce you Black Ops. This message brought to you by Halloween Pop Tarts. Sooooooooooooooooo yummy
Back to top Go down
jadedoblivion
Seventh Nation
jadedoblivion

Nation Reputation : 19

PostSubject: Re: Extra Life $237 raised so far   Extra Life $237 raised so far - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 12:26 am

you should totally play robot unicorn attack lmao
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: Extra Life $237 raised so far   Extra Life $237 raised so far - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 2:27 am

DIE ZOMBIES! DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Guns firing
Back to top Go down
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

PostSubject: Re: Extra Life $237 raised so far   Extra Life $237 raised so far - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 2:41 am

KILL THEM ALLLLLLL !
Back to top Go down
Dmick024
Sixth Nation
Dmick024

Nation Reputation : 12

PostSubject: Re: Extra Life $237 raised so far   Extra Life $237 raised so far - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 3:52 am

keep going, rounding into the home stretch now! have the kids round up some gauze for your eyes once this is done! Smile
Back to top Go down
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

PostSubject: Re: Extra Life $237 raised so far   Extra Life $237 raised so far - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 4:19 am

Almost there Six, looked out my front window and groups of zombies were running away from something or someone ..... either Mitch got his PS3 going or you are kickin some serious zombie azz ! You can doo it !!
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: Extra Life $237 raised so far   Extra Life $237 raised so far - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 10:51 am

So.... Embarassed I have about 3 hours to make up today. At 4:30 a.m I clearly remember that I was still slaying zombies. At 5 am I clearly remember waking up on my floor in front of the tv. What happened in that half hour remains a mystery. I am a bit disappointment in myself for not being able to make the full 24 straight, but at the same time cant say it was a conscious decision to not. After realizing the streak was lost, I decided it would be best to catch what sleep I could to get through today. With batteries recharged, I am now in the process of finishing what i started.

Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
CobaltMonkey

Nation Reputation : 203

PostSubject: Re: Extra Life $237 raised so far   Extra Life $237 raised so far - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 11:20 am

What's on the schedule for the final approach?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Extra Life $237 raised so far   Extra Life $237 raised so far - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Extra Life $237 raised so far

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Community Gatherings :: Contests and Events-
Jump to: