The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

Official PS4 Discussion Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

Nation Reputation : 63

Official PS4 Discussion Thread Empty
PostSubject: PS3 Successor Orbis due 2013 ?   Official PS4 Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 2:46 pm

Just speculation from unamed sources so far. While having a powerful AMD multicore processor and the ability to render high spec graphics sounds good some of the other possible attributes just suck imho. No backward compatibility for the PS3 and anti-used game measures built into the console. So far this is speculation but I thought it interesting.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
jolli
Ninth Nation
jolli

Nation Reputation : 48

PostSubject: Re: Official PS4 Discussion Thread   Official PS4 Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 3:08 pm

I sure hope not, this sounds like a terrible, terrible idea for a console..
Back to top Go down
The Last Ninja
Fifth Nation
The Last Ninja

Nation Reputation : 19

PostSubject: Re: Official PS4 Discussion Thread   Official PS4 Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 3:22 pm

From what I read from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], I'm not sure if I want a PS4.
Back to top Go down
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

PostSubject: Re: Official PS4 Discussion Thread   Official PS4 Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 3:30 pm

I've actually been thinking of buying a new PS3 but I'm going to hold off on that. TBH I really feel that the PS3 has some really incredible games. I do think that developers have been having a harder time with the platform than the Xbox 360. I just hate to buy a boatload of games and have them not be supported every 5 or 6 years.
Back to top Go down
s1lv3r4554551n
Seventh Nation
s1lv3r4554551n

Nation Reputation : 18

PostSubject: Re: Official PS4 Discussion Thread   Official PS4 Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 3:35 pm

Kotaku is rarely wrong but be sceptical until you hear something from sony. They will probably tease something at E3 and not say a word on it, or something to that extent. That being said I really hope they're wrong about Orbis having no backwards compatibility. That just sucks. I love that the new processor is capable of WAY more resolution than the best modern TV can handle. That almost guarantees -if this is legit- that TV's are going to get much more pretty in the coming years.
Back to top Go down
Jmw566
Seventh Nation
Jmw566

Nation Reputation : 22

PostSubject: Re: Official PS4 Discussion Thread   Official PS4 Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 11:52 pm

There was discussion on the insomniac forums about this and I believe it was Vitti who stated that while there wouldn't be any backwards compatibility from the new hardware, that wouldn't necessarily mean that there couldn't be any backwards compatibility at all. He said they could possibly end up doing the same thing they did with PS2's with the PS1 processor alternative or with fatty PS3's having the PS2 processor in them.

So they could just include cell processors inside the new system (or make it an option you could pay extra for most likely) if they really wanted to.
Back to top Go down
Mitchell
Eighth Nation
Mitchell

Nation Reputation : 47

PostSubject: Re: Official PS4 Discussion Thread   Official PS4 Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 12:03 am

No backwards compatibility and no used games is a stupid decision, they have to think about their customers not just how much profit that can be made extra if borrowing games from friends is prevented.
Back to top Go down
jolli
Ninth Nation
jolli

PostSubject: Re: Official PS4 Discussion Thread   Official PS4 Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 2:14 am

It seems that Sony doesnt relize that there are poor poeple in the world, the only thing on their mind is money, money money which also describes the gaming industry as of now.
Back to top Go down
Mitchell
Eighth Nation
Mitchell

PostSubject: Re: Official PS4 Discussion Thread   Official PS4 Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 3:26 am

TBH , I wouldn't even mind them just doing what they did with the PS3, the launch version had a decent amount of Backwards compatibility , a few years later they release a cheaper, slim model with no BC but instead the game library can justify the price a lot better.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: Official PS4 Discussion Thread   Official PS4 Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 3:51 am

Whether this is confirmed or not, I won't be buying. Not for a very long time. I'll be stocking up on PS3's, probably buy like 3 to do till I even consider getting a new console.

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
The Last Ninja
Fifth Nation
The Last Ninja

Nation Reputation : 19

PostSubject: Re: Official PS4 Discussion Thread   Official PS4 Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 5:13 am

Or they could pull something similar to Vita and offer a model with full BC and without.
Back to top Go down
RHYN0X
Fifth Nation
RHYN0X

PostSubject: Re: Official PS4 Discussion Thread   Official PS4 Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 7:14 am

Ugh, I hope Kotaku is wrong... as is often the case.

Realistically, I don't trust any sources except for Sony until after the official press release. However; if what is being reported is acurate at this time, I really hope they make some serious changes, or I sense a Nintendo in my future lol.
Back to top Go down
jolli
Ninth Nation
jolli

PostSubject: Re: Official PS4 Discussion Thread   Official PS4 Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 9:06 am

Either this is some kind of hoax or this will be somekind of service, like onlive or something not a full fledge console.
Back to top Go down
banded1
Tenth Nation
banded1

Nation Reputation : 59

PostSubject: Re: Official PS4 Discussion Thread   Official PS4 Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 10:23 am

its probably best if we leave the speculation and rumors alone until a press release is made.
remember this?
Back to top Go down
jolli
Ninth Nation
jolli

PostSubject: Re: Official PS4 Discussion Thread   Official PS4 Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 10:30 am

Well to be fair that controller was a real thing.. just didn't pan out very well.
Back to top Go down
banded1
Tenth Nation
banded1

PostSubject: Re: Official PS4 Discussion Thread   Official PS4 Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 10:32 am

that was my point lol
things change, stories can be fabricated, rumors can spread. might as well wait for sony to actually say something
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: Official PS4 Discussion Thread   Official PS4 Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 10:51 am

I still want the Batarang controller.

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

Back to top Go down
banded1
Tenth Nation
banded1

PostSubject: Re: Official PS4 Discussion Thread   Official PS4 Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 11:11 am

someone say bangarang?

batarang? ohhhhhhhh...
Back to top Go down
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

PostSubject: Re: Official PS4 Discussion Thread   Official PS4 Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 2:04 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
that was my point lol
things change, stories can be fabricated, rumors can spread. might as well wait for sony to actually say something

Ahh ! Phooey! Where's the fun in that ?? There was also speculation that the PS3 would have some kind of used game killer but that didn't pan out. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony doesn't actually take some direction from businesses,game forums,media,blogs etc. though. A big public outcry against planned features could cause them to drop them. Another thing to consider is not only is Gamestop in the used game biz but Walmart,Amazon,Gamefly,Hastings and other assorted smaller companies. Together they do sell a lot of new games and will have some leverage with Sony on that issue. I do hate it when some multiplatform games are buggy or don't look as sharp on the PS3 as the Xbox so I wouldn't mind a BC PS4 that is easier to make games for.
Back to top Go down
Mitchell
Eighth Nation
Mitchell

PostSubject: Re: Official PS4 Discussion Thread   Official PS4 Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 4:48 pm

No used games wil be a real pain in NZ where we have to shell out $110+ for a new release game and the more popular titles don't go down in price fast. As a result, most of my games are either new, but are games that have been out over a year so have gone down in price a fair bit, or pre-owned. I've only purchased two games on release and those were Uncharted 3 and Modern Warefare 3.
Back to top Go down
RHYN0X
Fifth Nation
RHYN0X

PostSubject: Re: Official PS4 Discussion Thread   Official PS4 Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 7:18 am

I can see a reason for no BC with a PS4. If it uses standard tech, and not cell, the games wouldn't work. Rendering effects, physics, etc in real time with a cell proc. that doesn't exist would be hard... assuming the tech specs are even accurate.
Back to top Go down
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

PostSubject: Re: Official PS4 Discussion Thread   Official PS4 Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 11:35 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I can see a reason for no BC with a PS4. If it uses standard tech, and not cell, the games wouldn't work. Rendering effects, physics, etc in real time with a cell proc. that doesn't exist would be hard... assuming the tech specs are even accurate.

True dat. But software emulation could be possble.
Back to top Go down
Dmick024
Sixth Nation
Dmick024

Nation Reputation : 12

PostSubject: Re: Official PS4 Discussion Thread   Official PS4 Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 11:58 am

if you are looking at sony's decision to have 10 year life cycles for consoles, than there is no hope for ps4 backwards compatibility Sad by the time that is up, the library size would negate reasoning it.

while it states that used games wont be playable, i hope it is rather a downloadable pass if worst comes to worst. the problem for me is that if i buy a game and i hate it, what the heck am i going to do with it? most return policies are for unopened games, and if this catches on, game stores arent long for this world unless pricing can be lowered.

until anything is set in stone, i will stay skeptical, and hopeful.
Back to top Go down
Mitchell
Eighth Nation
Mitchell

PostSubject: Re: Official PS4 Discussion Thread   Official PS4 Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 4:08 pm

This is ridiculous, no used games ?. The best part of going to game shops is looking for a great bargain in the used games section. Now looks like if I ever get a PS4 then I will have to shell out over $80 for one game and no borrowing off of friends, this is lame. Sony are going to mess up their fan-base with this, especially in Oceania where games are so expensive.
Back to top Go down
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

PostSubject: Re: Official PS4 Discussion Thread   Official PS4 Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 5:03 pm

This might be a good place to discuss the used game thread started in Batman AC since it will be applicable to the PS4 possibly.
I've already bought some used EA games that needed a $10 online pass for play if the code was used. One game had the code used the other did not. I was aware of the code possibly not working but I got the games for the single player so no worries. The thing about the console itself getting into somehow setting permissions for used gameplay is new. I agree with Cobaltmonkey's position that used game sales do not take one cent away from a developers income. The sales might be perceived as "potential" sales but they are not actual sales losses. The person who sold the used game to the store will probably use the credits or dollars to buy new games at some time. Why Sony would put its console sales in jeopardy by not allowing used games at the console level is a mystery. If the new console is not BC and won't allow me to play used games what will stop me from going over to the new Xbox...... I have nothing invested in the Sony console because Sony will have removed any incentive for me to stay with the new console.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official PS4 Discussion Thread   Official PS4 Discussion Thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Official PS4 Discussion Thread

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Gaming HeadQuarters :: Hardware and General Discussion-
Jump to: