The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

The Young Wizard series

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Azira
13th Nation
Azira

Nation Reputation : 100

The Young Wizard series Empty
PostSubject: The Young Wizard series   The Young Wizard series Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 6:48 pm

I have to say, if I had to pick a favourite series of books out of everything I've read, it would be this series.

They're written by Diane Duane and follow Juanita Callahan (Nita) and her wizardly partner Christopher Rodriguez (Kit) as they encounter the Lone Power, the inventor of death. During their encounters they'll meet other wizards in all sorts of places: other places on Earth, other species sharing Earth and many others from different planets all around the universe.

To become a wizard, the Powers That Be must offer you an opportunity to take the Oath when you're young as this offer isn't given to older beings. Once you've taken the Oath you will have to pass an Ordeal which is where you confront the Lone Power. If you win, you're a full-blown wizard, if not...

Wizards are given power to slow the death of the universe, and humans are not the only beings capable of using wizardry.

The series starts with So You Want To Be A Wizard when Nita and Kit are quite young. I'd recommend that you should be at least high school aged before starting the series as they're young adult novel. The characters are confronting the inventor of death, so things get darker later in the series as it matures, but it doesn't stay like that all the time.

I have to say, one of the books provides a very good lesson when it comes to reading the small print. READ IT 'cause you never know what you may be getting yourself into. Wink

I recently started rereading the series and am currently reading the third book High Wizardry, which is interesting because Nita's younger sister Dairine has taken the Oath and the book tells of her Ordeal.

There are nine books out now, with a tenth on the way:
So You Want To Be A Wizard
Deep Wizardry
High Wizardry
A Wizard Abroad
The Wizard's Dilemma
A Wizard Alone
Wizard's Holiday
Wizards at War
A Wizard of Mars
Games Wizards Play

They are awesome books. Duane is probably the only author that I would give money to after just seeing her name on the cover of a book. She's wonderful. Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: The Young Wizard series   The Young Wizard series Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 4:20 am

It kinda sounds like Harry Potter meets The Green Lantern Corps. That actually peaks my interest.

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Azira
13th Nation
Azira

PostSubject: Re: The Young Wizard series   The Young Wizard series Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 12:31 pm

Thinking I suppose you could think of it like that.

These books starting coming before Harry Potter existed though. Wink
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: The Young Wizard series   The Young Wizard series Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 5:20 am

\_(o.o)_/ Sadly it's lesser known so that will be how it is compared but you gotta admit my description makes it sound awesome and would get people all "Hmmm..." and check it out.

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Azira
13th Nation
Azira

PostSubject: Re: The Young Wizard series   The Young Wizard series Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 11:20 am

It's too bad it isn't known better since the first book was published almost 30 years ago.

I'm reading High Wizardry again, and I'm going to pay close attention to it this time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Young Wizard series   The Young Wizard series Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Young Wizard series

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Entertainment :: Random Chat :: Books, magazines, and comics-
Jump to: