Sixth Nation Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sixth Nation Gaming

Home Base of the Sixth Nation Community

Share | 

Dragons Dogma

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

Nation Reputation : 41

Dragons Dogma - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragons Dogma   Dragons Dogma - Page 3 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 12:30 am

im pretty sure the 1 save file thing is due to the pawn system. you only have 1 save file, and so only 1 pawn that is stored. (though im sure if they wanted they could of had a work around)

EDIT: also there is always NG+. learn from your mistakes, and do it better next time around.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

Nation Reputation : 211

PostSubject: Re: Dragons Dogma   Dragons Dogma - Page 3 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 12:47 am

Oh, believe me, I am familiar with that mindset. I am an experienced Demon's/Dark Souls vet, after all.
However, even the most vigilant person can make mistakes. I'm trying for the "complete every quest in one playthrough" trophy. Going to NG+ would mean being required to do every single quest again, and though some of them can be greatly shortened through forgery, it's still a pain in the neck.
Learning from your mistakes is a good thing to do. Fixing them where you can is a better option wherever available.
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: Dragons Dogma   Dragons Dogma - Page 3 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 12:50 am

I think going for do every quest in 1 playthrough on your 1st playthrough is not the best way to go about it. youd need to use the internet to some degree to make sure you didnt miss anything, and 1st play through should be about exploring and discovering things for yourself even if you do screw up. trying to go for something like all quests robs the exploration and wonder of the world and the game mechanics to a certain extent....but then thats just me.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dragons Dogma   Dragons Dogma - Page 3 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 12:56 am

This is the only thing I've had to go to the internet for so far. It'll be the first quest I've failed.
I'm still exploring and discovering things. Going for all quests isn't just about the trophy. It's about getting through all the content.

I agree with your view of the first playthrough and all. I just don't think what little I'm doing messes it up.

It occurs to me that this is technically a quest item. It wouldn't surprise me if that means it can't be traded. Thinking
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: Dragons Dogma   Dragons Dogma - Page 3 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 1:20 am

you gotta live with your mistakes, no doing any of that cheap o i made a mistake ill just go reload the last save file and magically fix everything til its all perfect.

also yes it can be traded, and I made a post on the other message board i frequent requesting it be gifted to your psn. (its cobalt monkey with a space?)
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dragons Dogma   Dragons Dogma - Page 3 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 1:24 am

Why live with your mistakes when you can fix them? I just can't see a problem with a reasonable solution and ignore it.
Shrug

Thanks for looking out for me though. Smile (Actually it doesn't have a space. My bad. I should fix that.)
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: Dragons Dogma   Dragons Dogma - Page 3 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 1:33 am

do you think D souls would be better without the death mechanics, so that dying doesnt really matter it just sent you back to last save point? or does the fact that your mistakes matter so much make finally getting it all right just that much more satisfying in the end?

going through and trying to get the quests and failing makes finally getting them all a real accomplishment, where as if it wasnt that much of a challenge it would feel more like a chore, of going through a checklist, like your just going through the motions to get it done for the sake of getting it done.

EDIT: yea, I didnt think PSN IDs could have spaces in them.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dragons Dogma   Dragons Dogma - Page 3 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 1:49 am

That's what dying does in Dark Souls. The difference is that if you can do it right the second time, if you can get back to and reclaim your bloodstain, then you have corrected your mistake. And yes, it is satisfying.

Where the game is less forgiving is in regards to its NPCs. Attacking one of those by accident gets them mad at you, and if you have to kill them they they are dead until NG+.
Yet even here it offers a chance of redemption, if you want to try for it. You can escape the attacked party's area while keeping them alive, make your way to the bell tower, and pay a hefty price to appease them. There is cost, but if you can manage it you're allowed to correct your mistake to a degree.

If you're going to live with your mistakes no matter what, then shouldn't you restart the entire game if you die once? Wouldn't it be more satisfying to be required to play start to finish completely flawlessly? But you don't because it's not fun.

You can have challenge without tedium as well. I remember doing one of the hardest things I've done in gaming, which was playing through the original Devil May Cry on Dante Must Die mode. I was careful, polishing my skills constantly, and when I got to the last set of bosses I'd managed to save upwards of 50 yellow orbs that allow you to restart from the beginning of the fight. I ran through all of them. Had to reload and kept going until I finally put him down. It felt glorious.
But it also never felt tedious. It was always constantly about me just getting better at fighting Mundus.
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: Dragons Dogma   Dragons Dogma - Page 3 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 1:57 am

except dying in D souls the 2nd time comes at a hefty price, while there is a chance of redemption there is also a chance of failure. and because of that chance of failure it creates more tension leading up to the defeat or victory, and that in turn makes the victory that much more satisfying. reloading an old save is not. thats more tedious than anything.

thats what hardcore mode in games is for. and it can be quite enjoyable. I played darksiders 2 that way and it was a ton of fun, and very tense.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dragons Dogma   Dragons Dogma - Page 3 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 8:17 am

Hardcore mods don't add anything, imo. They're a waste of time. Anything you pull off in one of those you can do in any other mode, and without the headache.
Dying in one of those and having to completely restart the game is far, far more tedious than reloading from a save. Especially when you can die from things that aren't your fault, like lag.

Regardless, I'm not playing DD on hardecore or even Hard Mode right now. I'll do that when I'm more of a mind to test the skills I learned in the game rather than to just experience its content.
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: Dragons Dogma   Dragons Dogma - Page 3 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 11:29 am

I was referring to single player experiences where lag isnt a factor. Like the example I gave darksiders 2

also got you what you want. he says for you to add him his psn is NeoJoe731
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dragons Dogma   Dragons Dogma - Page 3 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 2:19 pm

Outstanding! Thanks a bunch. Very Happy= :D

Lag is far from the only factor that can cause an undeserved death or mistake. Poor level design, glitches, RL interruptions during play, and so on.

Now, I won't pretend that my mistake this time was one of those instances. I rested at the Inn one too many times. It's entirely on me. But that doesn't change my RL circumstances. It might be months before I could play again, and I'd rather not miss out on the content in the meantime. (Incidentally, I may be having to move to an area that has a data cap, and it might be a while yet before I get internet again once I do move. That would probably put the kibosh on playing that Marvel game. Sad But I should have until around the middle of June. )
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dragons Dogma   Dragons Dogma - Page 3 EmptyFri May 17, 2013 1:38 am

Have to share another awesome thing that happened.
If anyone's played a Mystic Knight, you'll know of the Magick/Great Cannon skill. If you haven't, it's shown in the vid Nobody posted about the class. Basically, it creates a sphere that sends out homing attacks every time you strike it with a weapon. If you have an elemental enchantment spell on your weapon when you cast it, then the homing attacks will be of that element. Already sounds awesome, right? Two things make it better.
1. It works for any attack that passes through the sphere, not just yours. Even enemy attacks. But each homing attack that gets sent out still counts as your attack.
2. "Any attack" includes other Magick/Great Cannon attacks. You can stack them. And with Great Cannon, it sends out 3 homing attacks per strike. So your 1 sword swipe becomes 3 attacks that pass from the first cannon to the second where it becomes 9 attacks + the original 3. That's 12 attacks per strike.
Excited
You can stack it to at least 3 cannons, but you won't get as many strikes off because the cannons just don't last that long. Two's plenty though.
Took this idea and went to see the drake again. I was guessing he was weak against Ice, what with the breathing Fire and all, so Ice Enchanter plus 2x Great Cannon = Dead Drake.
None of my stuff got forged, unfortunately, but there's always next time.
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: Dragons Dogma   Dragons Dogma - Page 3 EmptyFri May 17, 2013 4:38 am

dont ya just hate it when you want to post stuff about a game but no one else is posting, and you dont wanna double post...that happens to me all the time.

do you think that strategy helped you beat him where you otherwise wouldnt of been able to (due to being too low level)
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dragons Dogma   Dragons Dogma - Page 3 EmptyFri May 17, 2013 10:09 am

Most probably. When I tried the first time I barely put a dent in him. Then again, that was about 20 levels, less decent equipment, and a different vocation ago.
Shrug

I'm kind of annoyed that the Cannon's elemental stuff won't trigger off of permanent enchantments, sort of. It's weird.
See, it doesn't change color like it does when you've got an enchantment on it. But I noticed while using in on some bandits from a distance that when only one or two attacks hit them, and they survived for a minute, they got the same little icon over their heads as when I hit them directly with my fire sword. So, is the Cannon transferring my actual sword strikes (or the attacks of whatever hits it)? I guess the elemental damage just stacks.
Back to top Go down

Dragons Dogma

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sixth Nation Gaming :: Gaming HeadQuarters :: MMOs and Role Playing-
Jump to: