The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

The Wheel of Time

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dolemitesooner
Fifth Nation
Dolemitesooner

Nation Reputation : 0

The Wheel of Time Empty
PostSubject: The Wheel of Time   The Wheel of Time Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 10:10 pm

I was going to start reading Stephen King's The Gunsliger and start that series due to Six and others telling me how good it was, but I decided to pick up Robert Jordan again. Has anyone read these books?
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
CobaltMonkey

Nation Reputation : 203

The Wheel of Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wheel of Time   The Wheel of Time Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 5:55 pm

Indeed I have. Most of them several times. I'll give you a quick breakdown of the series quality.
Eye of the World-Excellent. Good way to start the series.
The Great Hunt- Very Good. At certain points I could really feel for the characters.
The Dragon Reborn-Very Good. Explores the POVs of many different characters while still keeping to the main story.
Shadow Rising-Very Good. Things are really starting to heat up. No pun intended.
Fires of Heaven- Very Good. Things progress steadily and changes occur for good and ill.
Lord of Chaos- Excellent. 'Nuff said. To explain why might ruin it.
A Crown of Swords.- Good. Progress is made, but nothing truly changes.
Path of Daggers, Winter's Heart, Crossroads of Twilight-- All stagnant. Nothing changes really at all over the course of these 3 books. Important things do happen, but the rest of the books are so dull I kinda stopped caring. I gave up halfway through Crossroads of Twilight, though I later did finish it after I read...
Knife of Dreams-Better than Good. Now things are back on the ball and rolling on toward a definite conclusion. Then this happened:
Jordan had stated that the main sequence would conclude with the twelfth book, A Memory of Light. According to Forbes, Jordan had intended for it to be the final book "even if it reaches 2,000 pages."[11]
Jordan was diagnosed with a fatal blood disease cardiac amyloidosis in December 2005,[12] while he intended to finish at least A Memory of Light even if the "worse comes to worst,"[13] he made preparations in case he was not able to complete the book "I'm getting out notes, so if the worst actually happens, someone could finish A Memory of Light and have it end the way I want it to end."[11]
With Jordan's death on 16 September 2007, the conclusion of the series was in question. On December 7 of that year the publisher Tor Books announced that fantasy author Brandon Sanderson was to finish A Memory of Light.[14] Sanderson, a long time fan of the series,[15] was chosen by Jordan's widow Harriet McDougal partly because she liked Sanderson's novels and partly because of a eulogy he had written for Jordan.[16][17]
On 30 March 2009 Tor Books announced that the A Memory of Light would be split into three volumes, the first of which, The Gathering Storm, is to be released on November 3, 2009.[18][19]
--taken from Wiki.
I do have high hopes for the rest of the series, but I think that might be because I'm already so invested. In short, if you like sword and sorcery or high fantasy, you'll like this. If not, then you probably won't.
Back to top Go down
Meathead2004
Second Nation
Meathead2004

Nation Reputation : 1

The Wheel of Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wheel of Time   The Wheel of Time Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 6:26 pm

Never heard of the series myself. Seems like something I could get into though. The only other fantasy I've ever read is The Hobbit, and that remains one of my favorite books to this day. Might give the first couple a try, those appear to be your favorites, after I wade through some other to-reads.
Back to top Go down
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Seyel

Nation Reputation : 82

The Wheel of Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wheel of Time   The Wheel of Time Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 6:31 pm

If you like fantasy with a touch of comedy, you have to read Terry Brooks. His series of Landover (Magic kingdom for Sale, etc) is really good. Smile Terry Pratchett is a must too, if you like even more funny stuff / irony on it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Raistlin
Eighth Nation
Raistlin

Nation Reputation : 67

The Wheel of Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wheel of Time   The Wheel of Time Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 10:46 pm

I've heard of the wheels of time compliation. Heard only good things. I think I've seen the books too while lookin for my dragonlance ones Smile
Back to top Go down
Dolemitesooner
Fifth Nation
Dolemitesooner

The Wheel of Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wheel of Time   The Wheel of Time Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 10:51 pm

I read the dragonlace series....Good stuff
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
CobaltMonkey

The Wheel of Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wheel of Time   The Wheel of Time Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 4:02 am

Raistlin likes dragonlance? I don't believe it. Razz I haven't actually read those books myself, but I keep meaning to. Also a friend whose taste I do trust keeps naggin' me to read some George R.R. Martin books so I'm looking for those.

A thought occurred to me. If you like the Wheel of Time books you might be interested in the Sword of Truth series. It is very well written in my opinion. If you like Jordan's stuff, you'll probably like Terry Goodkind. He's a talented author. Jordan's pretty darned good, but Goodkind makes him look like a hack.
Fair warning, though. Jordan's works are generally targeted at a younger audience. Everything is kept fairly PG rated. Goodkind, however, is quite graphic. Nothing X-rated that I can recall, but still not fit for the kiddies. You're not a kiddie are you, Dole? I wouldn't want to warp a fragile little mind.
Back to top Go down
Dolemitesooner
Fifth Nation
Dolemitesooner

The Wheel of Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wheel of Time   The Wheel of Time Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 7:37 am

I am 27 lol.

The wheel of time is in no way geared towards younger people I don't think. Yeah it may be G rated,but the reading is heavy. He will be talking about something going on and then you get a 30 page inner monologue. Its thick reading. LOL

I have heard great things about the George RR martian stuff, and I was bought the Terry Goodkind stuff for Christmas one year but have not got to it.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
CobaltMonkey

The Wheel of Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wheel of Time   The Wheel of Time Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 12:16 pm

Didn't mean to imply that it was overly simple reading. No, no. It could just be that I think its for younger people because I started reading is when I was about 15. Though if you ask me the SoT series is a lot deeper. Not only is the character development better, but the themes expressed are quite mature. Really gets the brain going. Not trying to knock Jordan, just using him as a reference point. Like saying "If you think peanut butter is good, try peanut butter and jelly." Peanut butter retains its awesomeness.
Back to top Go down
Dolemitesooner
Fifth Nation
Dolemitesooner

The Wheel of Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wheel of Time   The Wheel of Time Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 12:56 pm

Ok I gotcha. I'll put them in the Que. Get back to me next year. LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Wheel of Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wheel of Time   The Wheel of Time Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Wheel of Time
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Entertainment :: Random Chat :: Books, magazines, and comics-
Jump to: