The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
jadedoblivion
Seventh Nation
jadedoblivion

Nation Reputation : 19

Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion   Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 8:46 pm

That is a good idea for having a group get together, my original idea was just to play with 4 + different members in any game

Idk if a screen shot would be necessary. I believe that if every one could voice for the group that would be enough . I don't think any one would try to lie about it especially if it was in a group

I like to believe that we have a great and honest bunch here at the nation, and every one seems very respectful so it is doubtful they would lie about it
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

Nation Reputation : 41

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion   Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 9:43 pm

i dont see why the fact that it might be difficult for some people to do to be a good reason to not have it. just because you have a trophy doesnt mean everyone has to get it.
Back to top Go down
jadedoblivion
Seventh Nation
jadedoblivion

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion   Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 10:01 pm

This is true nobody , but I don't think it should be impossible for some people to get just because they don't have enough free time to be able to attain it . They shouldn't be penalized for having other things to do and have to feel crunched for time to get it

Your right just because there is a trophy for something it doesn't mean everyone needs it , but everyone should have a fair chance to obtain it. Playing a game every day with a member could be impossible for some people.
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion   Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 10:31 pm

how are people being penalized? getting a trophy is an award, its not a penalty to not have it.
Back to top Go down
jadedoblivion
Seventh Nation
jadedoblivion

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion   Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 10:43 pm

Some people may feel that way if they know there is no way for them to obtain the trophie, or it could have been a bad choice of wording.

Trophies are a great award if achievable, and with some diffculty it makes them even more rewarding. But to blatently have one that could be impossible for a lot of people to get could be disheartining.

I am not saying it should be a cake walk to get since my whole idea behind it was to get people together in game, but I feel having it set so you have to play every day is a little much and in some cases unrealistic
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion   Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 11:01 pm

you have varying degrees of trophies. if you only make ones everyone can reasonably get, then everyone is going to have all of them, and having them isnt going to mean anythign special. and it is not impossible. if people dont have time, than thats their choice. if they wanted to they could set time aside to get them. putting aside an hour a day, or a finding a week (like during a holiday break) to dedicate to trying to get it is not unreasonable.
Back to top Go down
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

Nation Reputation : 63

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion   Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 1:29 am

If the reason to have trophies is to strengthen the community then having a few easier ones that get the community together makes perfect sense. If the idea of trophies is to prove you have done something hard to do and want to post bragging rights then more difficult trophies would be the way to go. You could have both. Lately I have been wanting to strengthen my ties to the 6th Nation so getting in some games with more members would be perfect for me any way trophy or not.
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion   Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 5:05 am

why only have certain types? I mean what is the harm in having a wider variety of stuff? why limit it to only easy to get stuff. what is wrong with encouraging people to take time out of their busy lives to try to play some games together?
Back to top Go down
jadedoblivion
Seventh Nation
jadedoblivion

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion   Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 9:59 am

There's a big difference between can't find time and won't find time , if some can't find time its not there choice in the matter.

I few post back I threw out the idea of having different tiers with increased difficulty, and I agree they shouldn't be handed out like gold stars so every one has one

The mvp trophie is a great example its rewarding to get , every one has an equal shot at getting it , but not every one will.

But making it so they have to play every day could be an added stress instead of a nice relief from daily lives. Sure you could have every thing planned out but as they say stuff happens and plans go down the drain. I know if something happend and I couldn't make it after planing it all out I would feel terriable for letting some one down.
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

Nation Reputation : 167

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion   Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 10:10 am

Thanks for the feedback guys. Im also interested in seeing what other ideas we can come up with together.

There is some framework for gaming, and gaming in groups trophies. We will lay those out soon and will also have a small list of Hidden trophies too.

To comment on some of nobodys suggestions,

after a little investigating, we can in fact work the idea into the profiles of the users. Images obviously would have to be small but when highlighted will text out the description. Its something I myself would want to see it in display before we okay it for the full on "this is how it will be". My only real concern is having users profiles taking up more space than the actual messages they post if that makes sense. It would mean only admins could add badges as they would not auto add/update upon completion. This thread would become much more needed so everyone can let us know what achievements they might be missing so we can add them.

Lets keep this convo and ideas going guys.

side note, Im not too against postin/topic/ thread trophies myself. It promotes forum use. We have mods and admins to take care of spam for the sake of trophies. We aren't super high traffic atm. Changes could be made when needed.
Back to top Go down
Gregor
Fourth Nation
Gregor

Nation Reputation : 8

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion   Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 6:21 pm

I'm not one to be rude, but if trophies become profile based, is there a way to not get them? I don't really want trophies on mine. Not my cup of tea.
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion   Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 8:18 pm

heres another suggestion, dont use numbers. take your nation idol one that the picture is 100 for example. just looking at a picture of 100 there is nothing to distinguish it. just a green 100. instead come up with an icon to represent nation idol/nation rep, and have different colors of that icon for the varying levels of rep. for example lets say the icon was a +. for whatever the lowest rep trophy was you could get would be a bronze +, next highest would be a silver + and so on and so forth.

also get rid of the letters next to it. its redundant because the icon should be representative of what it says, and if you dont know what it means you can move your mouse over it to find out. plus your worried about the trophies taking up too much space on profiles, and no text leaves a lot more room for more icons.

I also feel like the icons are about twice as big as they need to be. you should be able to fit 10 or 20 in the space those 2 take up. and the 100 icon itself should be trimmed down as well, no need for borders within borders. it was a nice touch when they were going in the sig and part of a bigger whole, but as just an icon it is definitely not needed.
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion   Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2013 12:37 am

Miles Edgeworth wrote:
I'm not one to be rude, but if trophies become profile based, is there a way to not get them? I don't really want trophies on mine. Not my cup of tea.

Certainly. No one has to have them if they dont want them. There is no way for them to auto update or anything. It is all going to have to be done manually user by user. We wont add them to anyone s profile that doesnt want them.

@nobody wrote:
heres another suggestion, dont use numbers. take your nation idol one that the picture is 100 for example. just looking at a picture of 100 there is nothing to distinguish it. just a green 100. instead come up with an icon to represent nation idol/nation rep, and have different colors of that icon for the varying levels of rep. for example lets say the icon was a +. for whatever the lowest rep trophy was you could get would be a bronze +, next highest would be a silver + and so on and so forth.

also get rid of the letters next to it. its redundant because the icon should be representative of what it says, and if you dont know what it means you can move your mouse over it to find out. plus your worried about the trophies taking up too much space on profiles, and no text leaves a lot more room for more icons.

I also feel like the icons are about twice as big as they need to be. you should be able to fit 10 or 20 in the space those 2 take up. and the 100 icon itself should be trimmed down as well, no need for borders within borders. it was a nice touch when they were going in the sig and part of a bigger whole, but as just an icon it is definitely not needed.

Yeah. It wasnt looking too good by a few sets of eyes. Just getting a feeling for what we have and the best way to use it atm.
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion   Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 2:25 pm

OK guys, so here is what I am finding through experimenting.

To start, I will say FM doesnt have an actual Badge system. At least, not on our version.
Moving them into the profiles is just a way to circumvent that and still offer it in some way.
Even if it is "ghetto".

Setting them up that way still limits how and what we can do. Many of you saw the first attempt, with small icon like images, that also displayed in text the name of the trophy. Hovering over the icon, a description of HOW to obtain the trophy also popped up.
Having text and icon took up space, didnt look too great (although not at all terrible either).
My bigger concern was having profiles bigger than the messages we post.

As you can see now by looking at my profile to the left there, we can in fact remove that text. But just in the manner in which these fields are created in the admin panel, we lose the hover for description.

Im here to ask which way would you rather it be? Small icons with hover ability.
Or bars (maybe we can get the text on the images itself bigger) with out text under or around the image?

In either case, to open room in the profiles for these trophies, I had suggested removing the Rank bars we have, and just have our ranks listed in our profiles as text only.
Also in either case, the trophy/icon images will need to be revamped.

Input is appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Jmw566
Seventh Nation
Jmw566

Nation Reputation : 22

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion   Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 3:03 pm

I fully support removing the rank bars/auto assigned user titles. They're kind of redundant since they're only based on post count afaik and post count is already there.

The only issue might be for mods/admins/Loyalists/MVP's because don't those occupy the same space that the rank bars do? Or am I mistaken?

Also another thing you could possibly eliminate would be the "Nation Points". Personally, I feel like it's not very useful and confusing to newcomers. All that it is is a combination of posts, reputation, and threads created, right? I guess some people might care about knowing how many threads a person has created vs the ones they've just posted in, but I personally feel like trophies/etc would be a cooler thing.

Too bad that FM doesn't have a badge system. One like they have on OGOB would've been really cool. I've always liked that layout. EDIT: Rereading, is this how the "small icons with hover ability" would be?

Also, I don't think that the trophies NEED the hover over ability. I mean, it's nice, yeah, but you could have a sticky just containing all of the ranks and have it easily searchable as well.
Back to top Go down
Wadey
Ninth Nation
Wadey

Nation Reputation : 43

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion   Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 3:09 pm

I like the smaller icon with hover ability.
If someone has the bars like you have in you profile now
But has say 8-10 of them won't it stretch you profile heaps ?
The smaller icons you could have more with put making your profile massive no!
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion   Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 7:04 pm

good post J. That's good feedback. Just to clear up a misconception though, your Nation Reputation is nothing other than the number of plus or minus votes given to any of your posts. That's it. It has nothing to do with number of threads or posts. Its a value given to you by your fellow users. As an example, I plus voted your feedback post. You will see youu nation rep has gone up 1.

Thanks wadey. Tbh, they will only be able to list horizontal. We won't be able to do images side by side.
Just to clarify that for everyone. These are technically profile fields. Just like the rep, points, psn name, and xbox fields.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
CobaltMonkey

Nation Reputation : 203

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion   Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 8:13 pm

He was talking about the Nation Points, not the Nation Rep, Sixer. That is made up of the posts you make (1 point per) and the threads you start (3 points per). And I'll agree with him, it doesn't seem to serve too much purpose. The posts speak for themselves, do they not?

Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion - Page 2 Cobalt-1
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion   Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 10:06 am

Reading it again I see that. It was how he lumped nation rep into his list of things that make up nation points. That is what confused me. The two are seperate. The over all suggestion is still good. We could remove most of what's in the profiles attatched to the messages tbh, but still have them show up on the users profile pages. They don't have to be in both. In all honesty, we could go the other way too where trophys only appear on users profile pages, and not on the messages at all?
Back to top Go down
Azira
13th Nation
Azira

Nation Reputation : 100

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion   Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 10:44 am

@SixHousePull wrote:
Reading it again I see that. It was how he lumped nation rep into his list of things that make up nation points. That is what confused me. The two are seperate. The over all suggestion is still good. We could remove most of what's in the profiles attatched to the messages tbh, but still have them show up on the users profile pages. They don't have to be in both. In all honesty, we could go the other way too where trophys only appear on users profile pages, and not on the messages at all?

I'd like to see this if it's doable. When there's a huge list of badges in a profile it just stretches the message unnecessarily. If people make longer posts then it's not as noticeable, but most people don't usually.
Back to top Go down
Jmw566
Seventh Nation
Jmw566

Nation Reputation : 22

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion   Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 1:35 pm

I'm not sure if it's possible, but maybe a like top 5 trophies thing shows up on posts and the whole list is in the profile?

I have no idea of the forum software, though, so no idea if it's feasible but I don't think a trophy system would be effective if it was completely located only in profiles.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion   Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 4:21 am

The best way to understand the forum software and what it's capable of is this way; If you want to do it and it would be convenient and cool and a really nice feature, it can't do it.

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion - Page 2 Eb1yq9
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion   Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 4:17 pm

@Azira wrote:
@SixHousePull wrote:
Reading it again I see that. It was how he lumped nation rep into his list of things that make up nation points. That is what confused me. The two are separate. The over all suggestion is still good. We could remove most of what's in the profiles attached to the messages tbh, but still have them show up on the users profile pages. They don't have to be in both. In all honesty, we could go the other way too where trophys only appear on users profile pages, and not on the messages at all?

I'd like to see this if it's doable. When there's a huge list of badges in a profile it just stretches the message unnecessarily. If people make longer posts then it's not as noticeable, but most people don't usually.

Its doable. There is room for some, as J suggested, and Ill get to that in a sec. But even if you scroll up to this post of yours I just quoted, you will see there is a ton of room in the profile attached to your message.

@Jmw566 wrote:
I'm not sure if it's possible, but maybe a like top 5 trophies thing shows up on posts and the whole list is in the profile?

I have no idea of the forum software, though, so no idea if it's feasible but I don't think a trophy system would be effective if it was completely located only in profiles.

Again, yes. Doable. But then we would have to sit and choose which those top 5 are, and they wouldnt really be able to be specific or individual to every user with out it being even more work. Not everyone will have the same trophies. Maybe in time they would. But if Nation Icon is selected as a "top 5" for example, it will be a blank spot for many users for a while, and in the mean time they have more to show off in their profile page. Does that make sense? We would need to be sure we are choosing and agreeing on the 5.

@Lod wrote:
The best way to understand the forum software and what it's capable of is this way; If you want to do it and it would be convenient and cool and a really nice feature, it can't do it.

Yes. But we sure as hell have been able to do an awful lot with stick, stones, spit, and duct tape.
We can find a way to make this all work. Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion   Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 5:04 am

Quote :
Again, yes. Doable. But then we would have to sit and choose which those top 5 are, and they wouldnt really be able to be specific or individual to every user with out it being even more work. Not everyone will have the same trophies. Maybe in time they would. But if Nation Icon is selected as a "top 5" for example, it will be a blank spot for many users for a while, and in the mean time they have more to show off in their profile page. Does that make sense? We would need to be sure we are choosing and agreeing on the 5.
5 most recent?
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion   Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 12:38 pm

Might have to. It seems I spoke too soon. There doesnt seem to be a way where we can display them in the profile pages alone. Creating them that way displays them for ALL users. So even if user X hasnt really squired said award, it would still display on their page anyhow.
(We might be able to go one by one through the profiles and remove the ones that dont apply to certain people. Not sure just yet on that.)

That isnt the case though if displayed in the profiles attached to the messages. We can pick which users it will show for, and which ones it wont.

So what I am thinking, even if it will create some work, is that we might have to restrict the number of icons displayed in the message profiles to 5, and just allow each user to select which ones of theirs they want displayed. The rest they will have to continue to spoiler in sigs.

I just cant find any other work around.

Still need some time to work this out. I want this to work though so Ill/ we will keep at it.

In the meantime, how about you guys come up with some more ideas FOR trophies.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion   Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sixth Nation Trophy Feedback and Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: News in the Nation :: Things You Should Know-
Jump to: