The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

Indie Games on Steam

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Mitchell
Eighth Nation
Mitchell

Nation Reputation : 47

Indie Games on Steam Empty
PostSubject: Indie Games on Steam   Indie Games on Steam Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 4:37 am

Anyone know of some great indie games on steam ?, I wouldn't mind trying a few out if and when they go on sale !!!
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

Nation Reputation : 41

PostSubject: Re: Indie Games on Steam   Indie Games on Steam Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 5:21 am

Bolded games are my recomendations

Gish - an interesting 2d platformer where you control a ball of goo, and can cling along walls and such

Sanctum - Kinda like a FPS dungeon defender, with out the progression system.

Recettear - you are a classic old school RPG style shop keeper, and you stock items for heros, you can also hire (play as) heros to go down in dungeons and get items for your shop

A Valley without wind 1 and 2 (if you buy 1 you get both) they are a really interesting game. it is very hard to describe. it is such an odd mix of a bunch of different genres. graphically it looks very SNES like, its got 2D side scrolling action parts, and its also got these town building and resource management parts. The game is constantly getting updates, I havent played it in a while and I know a lot has changed (and been added since I last played)

Alien Swarm - published by valve but still an indie game iirc, and its FREE. its a top down coop "twin stick shooter" type game.

Binding of Isaac - a really bizare old school zelda esque game. (old school zelda style dungeons only though, thats all the game is, just fighting through a bunch of dungeons. much more action oriented than zelda though)

Don't Starve - Has its own topic if your unfamiliar go check it out...actually i think it was you i gifted a copy to

Hotline Miami - dont really know much about this game. but i know a lot of epople wont stop raving about how great it is. you just missed a 50% off sale on it.

lone survivor - havent really played much of this. nor do I really know much about it. its an interesting spooky survival/adventure game. a bit slow paced, kinda reminds me of old school adventure games like myst and such, only there is an on screen character and you move in a 2d side scrolling fashion

mark of the ninja - My absolute favorite indie/downloadable game from last year. I got it on the 360. it was recently ported to the PC. Its made by developers of shank. I never thought you could have a good stealth game in 2D, but not only does 2D stealth work well in this game, it is one of the best stealth games of all time (and pretty uch all reviews ive read say just as much) its just so much fun. even if you arent all that into stealth games. its also got some of the most satisfying kills in a game. though it doesnt even limit you to playing stealth. there are many different playstyles. one of my favorite is terrorizing guards to make them go insane and they start firing wildly and you can get them to kill their team mates, and get bonus points for it.

Magicka - go see the topic for it. great game.

Mount&Blade - not really sure how to explain this game. its got a really interesting and realistic combat system that other games took and expanded on. its also got some really epic fights. you start out by yourself fighting off a couple people. eventually you are quite literally leading armies into battle, and have hundreds or possibly thousands of troops fighting it out. (this game can be played well enough on a low end system, but can scale up and really push higher end systems, depending on what things you turn on if you have all the bells and whistles on you can literally be fighting on top of a pile of bodies.

Path of Exile - it isn't on steam, but it is free. me and cobalt have spent so much time playing this awesome game. Its an ARPG, and is in many peoples opinion way better than diablo 3 (I havent played diablo 3 myself, but this game is amazing) go check the topic for it

Terraria - I am just going to assume youve heard of this already. its basically 2d mine craft with much more of an action focus

well that was just the games that I won. went through my library as i typed this up. there is definitely a lot more though

Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
CobaltMonkey

Nation Reputation : 203

PostSubject: Re: Indie Games on Steam   Indie Games on Steam Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 9:46 am

Dungeon Defenders - A fun combination of hack and slash, shooter (for one class), and tower defense. You run around the battlefield placing different defenses depending on your class (and each class has several) pretty much wherever you want to assist in slicing up hordes of enemies.

Bastion - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I've played it myself and it's really fun. Also people like to make a huge deal out of the narrator like he's the best thing ever...and they're right.

The original Deus Ex - Not indie, but so very good. Better story than the new one, more diverse augmentations, lots of story, and even more variety in how you accomplish your objectives too. Often goes on sale for $2.50. Very worth it.

Legend of Grimrock - Strange RPG/Puzzle game. You're mostly here for the puzzles, but the combat can be tricky too. I would recommend getting it on sale or as part of a Humble Bundle. Speaking of which...

Humble Bundles - These are collections of games that go on sale for crazy low prices. As in, if you wanted to, you could pay one cent for the lot. However, if you pay over the average price (which usually seems to be around $7-$10) you get yet more games. In addition, several of these also come with soundtracks.
To give you an idea of how much you're saving here, Dungeon Defenders is normally $15, and to get all its DLC would bump the price up to $44. It was one of 11 games in the last bundle, and all DLC was included.
This one isn't available for purchase anymore, but take a look at the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] You'll notice several titles mentioned in this thread all in one lump. And it's not always Indie titles. The recently broken up THQ, a formerly big name game developer, released their own bundle not long ago with titles like Darksiders, Saints Row III, and Red Faction among others. Lastly, a bundle may start out with a few titles on it, but keep an eye out while it's going on. They seem to invariably get more games piled on, and anyone who has paid over the average amount when they got the bundle gets those too.
And if all that isn't enough, you can decide how the money you pay is distributed. You can give more to the developers of the games if you want, or more to those who organized the bundle, or even give the majority to a worthy charity like Child's Play.

All I can think of at the moment. I'll easily second nobody's recommendations for Magicka, Path of Exile, and Terraria as I've played and enjoyed all of those.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Mitchell
Eighth Nation
Mitchell

PostSubject: Re: Indie Games on Steam   Indie Games on Steam Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 10:28 pm

Well I'm interested in Hotline Miami, Terraria, Mark of the Ninja and Super Meat Boy. Thanks for all the recommendations guys !!, I'll be sure to check out some more of those later.
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: Indie Games on Steam   Indie Games on Steam Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 3:23 pm

well grimrock is 66% off right now. only 5.03 however I dont really like the game. its very different then what I though it was. its a slow paced puzzler taking place in a dungeon
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Indie Games on Steam   Indie Games on Steam Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 4:10 pm

Yeah. Like I said, it's mostly about puzzles.
Though I will say it doesn't seem slow paced when you're surrounded by enemies.
But they do rely on the "find the switch on the wall" puzzle too much, considering that the switches are almost always in the same place on most walls. If you like puzzles it's worth $5. If not, probably give it a miss.

Back to top Go down
jadedoblivion
Seventh Nation
jadedoblivion

Nation Reputation : 19

PostSubject: Re: Indie Games on Steam   Indie Games on Steam Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 6:06 pm

Hotline miami is great, and it is on sale for half price on steam for this week I think .

Don't strave is a fun surviver game that's still in beta they release new updates every 2 weeks
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: Indie Games on Steam   Indie Games on Steam Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2013 4:48 pm

you said your interested in super meat boy. it is 3.75 usd right now

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Mitchell
Eighth Nation
Mitchell

PostSubject: Re: Indie Games on Steam   Indie Games on Steam Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2013 9:17 pm

Yep, I check steam after school each day, saw it on sale and insta-bought it, so happy, that was no. 1 on my wish list !. Steam really do know what games to put on sale !
Back to top Go down
Mitchell
Eighth Nation
Mitchell

PostSubject: Re: Indie Games on Steam   Indie Games on Steam Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2013 1:39 am

So Mark of the Ninja is $5.00 on steam atm. Is it worth that ?, I have heard that it's really good, how long is a first playthrough for those who have played it ?
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: Indie Games on Steam   Indie Games on Steam Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2013 2:19 pm

was gonna type up a response, then I realized I already wrote quite a bit in this topic

Quote :
mark of the ninja - My absolute favorite indie/downloadable game from last year. I got it on the 360. it was recently ported to the PC. Its made by developers of shank. I never thought you could have a good stealth game in 2D, but not only does 2D stealth work well in this game, it is one of the best stealth games of all time (and pretty uch all reviews ive read say just as much) its just so much fun. even if you arent all that into stealth games. its also got some of the most satisfying kills in a game. though it doesnt even limit you to playing stealth. there are many different playstyles. one of my favorite is terrorizing guards to make them go insane and they start firing wildly and you can get them to kill their team mates, and get bonus points for it.

short answer is yes absolutely get it.
Back to top Go down
jadedoblivion
Seventh Nation
jadedoblivion

PostSubject: Re: Indie Games on Steam   Indie Games on Steam Icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 4:59 pm

new humble bundle

Dungeon defender and super hexagon for paying over the average

Beat hazard ultra , dynamite jack , Solar 2 and night sky

Also it looks like you can get this for your android smart phone
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Indie Games on Steam   Indie Games on Steam Icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 6:31 pm

It would be worth it just for Dungeon Defenders and all its DLC included, imo. Haven't heard of all the other stuff.

Back to top Go down
jadedoblivion
Seventh Nation
jadedoblivion

PostSubject: Re: Indie Games on Steam   Indie Games on Steam Icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 7:21 pm

Beat hazard ultra is the only other one i have played from that group its like asteroids and similar games but it uses your music to create the amount of enemies and speed that every thing goes at , there are also internet radio stations you can use on it

It is a pretty fun game, i have dungeon defenders but haven't played it yet, and who knows what else they may add to the bundle
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: Indie Games on Steam   Indie Games on Steam Icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 7:37 pm

well right now the average is 6.66 Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Mitchell
Eighth Nation
Mitchell

PostSubject: Re: Indie Games on Steam   Indie Games on Steam Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2013 5:08 am

Anyone tried Braid ?, it's $2.50 right now.
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: Indie Games on Steam   Indie Games on Steam Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2013 6:20 am

a lot of people love it. im not a fan though.
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: Indie Games on Steam   Indie Games on Steam Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2013 8:09 pm

right now there are 2 note worthy games on sale both for 66% off.

the 1st is primal carnage. it is a class based competitive MP that pits dinosaurs vs humans, was just a death match mode, but they recently added a get to da choppa mode where humans have to complete objectives and eventually get to da choppa, while dinos stop them. I played this a bit at pax, seemed like a fun game, but it did have a decently high learning curve that didnt fit well with the atmosphere at PAX (with so many games to try I dont really have time to spend a few hours getting down the kinks of the various classes) but I am looking forward to giving it a shot now.

its only 4.99

the other one is miasmata. I dont really know all that much, aside from the genre, its a single player survival type game, from what I heard its best experienced not knowing anything about it. so i didnt look too much into it. its only on sale for today (next 15 hours)

its 5.10

all prices are USD
Back to top Go down
Mitchell
Eighth Nation
Mitchell

PostSubject: Re: Indie Games on Steam   Indie Games on Steam Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 12:47 am

For those who haven't bought Super Meat Boy yet and like platforming games, do so !!. I have finished the light world story, gotten over 30 bandages and still going, 18 hours played, so much content and so much fun.
Back to top Go down
jadedoblivion
Seventh Nation
jadedoblivion

PostSubject: Re: Indie Games on Steam   Indie Games on Steam Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 8:57 pm

Picked the bundle up if any one wants dungeon defenders of ultra beat hazard pm me and ill send you the key code for steam

Ill post in random chat also, it will be first come first served
Back to top Go down
vengeance7times
Sixth Nation
vengeance7times

Nation Reputation : 11

PostSubject: Re: Indie Games on Steam   Indie Games on Steam Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 4:52 am

Any awesome free Steam games or cheap bundles you guys can recommend me? Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: Indie Games on Steam   Indie Games on Steam Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 12:42 pm

alien swarm is fun, and free.

path of exile isnt steam but it is free and really awesome. it does diablo 3 better than diablo 3 does it.
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: Indie Games on Steam   Indie Games on Steam Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 5:21 pm

not steam (though many can be activated in steam) gog.com has some great deals on various indie games

Back to top Go down
vengeance7times
Sixth Nation
vengeance7times

Nation Reputation : 11

PostSubject: Re: Indie Games on Steam   Indie Games on Steam Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 8:43 pm

Ah ok Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down
jadedoblivion
Seventh Nation
jadedoblivion

PostSubject: Re: Indie Games on Steam   Indie Games on Steam Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 9:58 am

Binding of issac is a good game , I think its under ten bucks

Don't starve has been on sale for ever at 11.99

The new humble bundle has some great games in it that's right around 7.00 for six or seven games
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Indie Games on Steam   Indie Games on Steam Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Indie Games on Steam

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Gaming HeadQuarters :: Hardware and General Discussion-
Jump to: