The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

EA Getting Rid of Online Passes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
CobaltMonkey

Nation Reputation : 203

EA Getting Rid of Online Passes Empty
PostSubject: EA Getting Rid of Online Passes   EA Getting Rid of Online Passes Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 1:00 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Quote :
Online Passes – the controversial attempt by many publishers to encourage new game sales by locking online-centric content for used copies – has become engrained in gaming culture over the last several years. But according to a report on VentureBeat, one major company is doing away with them.

Electronic Arts – the mega-publisher behind a litany of games including Madden, FIFA, Battlefield, Dead Space, Mass Effect and more – will be “discontinuing” its Online Pass initiative. In a statement provided to VentureBeat, EA’s John Reseburg said that “none of our new EA titles will include that feature.”

Reseburg admitted that Online Passes just don’t seem to be working. “Initially launched as an effort to package a full menu of online content and services, many players didn’t respond to the format. We’ve listened to the feedback and decided to do away with it moving forward.”

Many major publishers – including Sony and Ubisoft – continue to use Online Passes, though interestingly, Microsoft never seemed to go down that road. Will EA’s abolishment of this system coerce other publishers to follow suit?

It's a start.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Mitchell
Eighth Nation
Mitchell

Nation Reputation : 47

PostSubject: Re: EA Getting Rid of Online Passes   EA Getting Rid of Online Passes Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 1:19 am

Well whatever, I didn't really care about it as it doesn't affect how I buy my games but if they want to make more of their customers happy this is the way to go. I still think EA getting voted the worst company in America is a bit ridiculous .
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: EA Getting Rid of Online Passes   EA Getting Rid of Online Passes Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 1:29 am

That's the power of the internet for you. Rolling Eyes

Though there are still plenty of bad business decisions going on at EA (and everywhere else in the industry) it's good to see a little change. They might not be the worst company in the world, but they've definitely earned their negative reputation.

Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

Nation Reputation : 41

PostSubject: Re: EA Getting Rid of Online Passes   EA Getting Rid of Online Passes Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 1:51 am

ive always thought EA was a rather good publisher. they make a wide variety of games....good games. they were number 3 for the highest average metacritic rating in 2012 only being beat by telltale games (who only made the walking dead) and take 2 interactive (xcom borderlands, and rockstars games)

compare that to activision. this generation I have bought only 2 activision games. singularity, and spiderman 3 the latter of which is a terrible terrible game.

personally I prefer ubisoft over both, but ubisoft has a lot of up and down titles that really drag that score down.
Back to top Go down
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

Nation Reputation : 63

PostSubject: Re: EA Getting Rid of Online Passes   EA Getting Rid of Online Passes Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 3:53 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
ive always thought EA was a rather good publisher. they make a wide variety of games....good games. they were number 3 for the highest average metacritic rating in 2012 only being beat by telltale games (who only made the walking dead) and take 2 interactive (xcom borderlands, and rockstars games)

compare that to activision. this generation I have bought only 2 activision games. singularity, and spiderman 3 the latter of which is a terrible terrible game.

personally I prefer ubisoft over both, but ubisoft has a lot of up and down titles that really drag that score down.

Now EA looks to be # 1. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I enjoy a lot of the take 2 Games too, I noticed the other day I went from Borderlands 2 to Bioshock the same day and both are take 2..
Back to top Go down
Mitchell
Eighth Nation
Mitchell

Nation Reputation : 47

PostSubject: Re: EA Getting Rid of Online Passes   EA Getting Rid of Online Passes Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 4:44 am

I still dunno, I have never been a huge supporter of EA but I think they get a little more negative reception than they really deserve, apart from online passes you have microtransactions which honestly you don't need most of the time, (e.g DS3 is fine without buying anything), SimCity failed at launch (one game they published) and people got pissed off with ME3's ending which again ain't much to do with them. Anything else ?, I'm sure there is......

What I am saying is I think the internet loves to hate on EA, doesn't mean it's always fully justified, like Nobody said, they do publish a lot of good games/series.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: EA Getting Rid of Online Passes   EA Getting Rid of Online Passes Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 5:09 am

Oh god yeah everyone likes to hate on EA for stuff. Me it's to do with their online service, mostly cause I can never connect to it regardless of the game and after following all instructions. Also the same game every year thing, FIFA, Madden those types, annoy me more in terms of "Same Game except we changed the teams around and added something that could have being added with a patch now pay us full price for it." But whatever, people buy them so obviously it works. I don't like that they may be rushing developers to get a game out quickly before they can finish up the game enough that it's needs constant patching at launch.

But I don't hate them for being EA or the workers and company. I just hate some of the mistakes they made.

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

Back to top Go down
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

Nation Reputation : 63

PostSubject: Re: EA Getting Rid of Online Passes   EA Getting Rid of Online Passes Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 11:23 am

I love EA. Every once in a while I skullfark their store. My best hit was a couple of years ago where I got a 71 % discount on games and free 2 day shipping. It actually cost them more to ship me the games then I paid for them.

Need for Speed™ Carbon$19.95
Need for Speed™ ProStreet$19.9
Battlefield: Bad Company™$19.95
Dead Space™$19.95
The Lord of the Rings: Conquest™$19.95
SKATE 2$19.95
The Godfather® II$19.95
Burnout™ Paradise$19.95
Dante’s Inferno™ Divine Edition$59.95

Subtotal $219.55

Tax $1.85

Shipping & Handling $0.00

Discount $155.96

Total $65.44
Back to top Go down
Azira
13th Nation
Azira

Nation Reputation : 100

PostSubject: Re: EA Getting Rid of Online Passes   EA Getting Rid of Online Passes Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 12:38 pm

I guess people here don't know people who've had job interviews at EA then.

I was never a fan of online passes, so the sooner they're dropped the better. It's just another thing you have to worry about before you can actually play the game, and I already payed for it so all these hoops they ask you to jump through are getting tiresome.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: EA Getting Rid of Online Passes   EA Getting Rid of Online Passes Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 1:52 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] just to make [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That has been a little while though, so maybe they've gotten better?
I doubt it, but it's possible.

I should point out too that EA is by no means alone in these bad behaviors. It's a pretty much industry-wide infection.

Back to top Go down
The Last Ninja
Fifth Nation
The Last Ninja

Nation Reputation : 19

PostSubject: Re: EA Getting Rid of Online Passes   EA Getting Rid of Online Passes Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 11:03 am

I strongly dislike EA.

When I first heard of this, I thought, "Okay, that's a decent start." But, I was still skeptical, and would continue with my decision to not purchase any games they've published.

Now that we know of the XB1 DRM system, and the fact that Sony will leave it up to the publishers, they probably created a new system to replace this one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: EA Getting Rid of Online Passes   EA Getting Rid of Online Passes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

EA Getting Rid of Online Passes

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Gaming HeadQuarters :: Hardware and General Discussion-
Jump to: