The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

in regards to the high price of games in Australia

Go down 
AuthorMessage
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

Nation Reputation : 41

in regards to the high price of games in Australia  Empty
PostSubject: in regards to the high price of games in Australia    in regards to the high price of games in Australia  Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 1:47 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

is the minimum wage there really that fricking high?
Back to top Go down
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

Nation Reputation : 63

PostSubject: Re: in regards to the high price of games in Australia    in regards to the high price of games in Australia  Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 9:08 pm

That is a false equivalency Nobody. Minimum wage is not the medium wage in either country. The US minimum wage Vs. the Aussie minimum wage has nothing to do with how the two currencies compare . However the latest currency exchange rate is USD-AUD 1.0360 or approx. 96 cents American = 1 Aus. dollar, meaning I can take my $9.60 American and get $10 Australian.

The game that cost $118 Aus would be around $113.28 in US dollars .
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: in regards to the high price of games in Australia    in regards to the high price of games in Australia  Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 11:38 pm

yea if you straight up compare the currencies it is like that, but its like in the US in new york the living conditions are pretty expensive, but the higher pay off sets the expense, where as in other parts of the country the living expense is much lower but so is pay and it ends up equaling out.

so sure you could say if you take your aussie money and go to america you can get more game for your buck, but how much work do you need to do to equal that game? for example for me that $118 is roughly half a weeks pay. the $60 game I pay is about 1 days wages
Back to top Go down
Dingo
Ninth Nation
Dingo

Nation Reputation : 42

PostSubject: Re: in regards to the high price of games in Australia    in regards to the high price of games in Australia  Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 12:41 am

Don't be fooled by that pic as the games do come out around that price but some other competitor has it for $80 right off from first day of sale.
As for the min wage it's based on a full time employee but its even lower for others.

Under 16 years of age $5.87
At 16 years of age $7.55
At 17 years of age $9.22
At 18 years of age $10.90
At 19 years of age $13.17
At 20 years of age $15.59.

This might help explain a bit about the prices too [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: in regards to the high price of games in Australia    in regards to the high price of games in Australia  Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 2:29 am

so you actually have a different minimum wage depending on the age? in the USA there is just 1 flat minimum wage, though it does vary from state to state. its generally between the 16 and 17 wage you posted.

If I was working in Australia i'd be making almost double what I make now
Back to top Go down
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

PostSubject: Re: in regards to the high price of games in Australia    in regards to the high price of games in Australia  Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 2:41 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
yea if you straight up compare the currencies it is like that, but its like in the US in new york the living conditions are pretty expensive, but the higher pay off sets the expense, where as in other parts of the country the living expense is much lower but so is pay and it ends up equaling out.

so sure you could say if you take your aussie money and go to america you can get more game for your buck, but how much work do you need to do to equal that game? for example for me that $118 is roughly half a weeks pay. the $60 game I pay is about 1 days wages

Nah , units of work have nothing to do with exchange rates, nor does cost of living. I earned about $7k last month on investments. Now I worked my ass off for years to make that money to invest but comparing your wages and my income is like apples to Oranges. The only true gauge of a currency is the exchange rate. Half the problem is Australia is getting gouged . I have no doubt about this as even digital prices are highly inflated. A decade or so ago
ago the Aussie dollar was worth about 75 cents US. Now like Canada it is worth about the same, the problem is games haven't come down in price to correspond with the rise in the currencies worth.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: in regards to the high price of games in Australia    in regards to the high price of games in Australia  Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 4:03 am

so you actually have a different minimum wage depending on the age? in the USA there is just 1 flat minimum wage, though it does vary from state to state. its generally between the 16 and 17 wage you posted.

If I was working in Australia i'd be making almost double what I make now

You'd probably be paying double too. Frigging expensive over there.

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: in regards to the high price of games in Australia    in regards to the high price of games in Australia  Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 3:20 pm

yea, but if you get paid double, and pay double then it all equals out to about the same
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: in regards to the high price of games in Australia    in regards to the high price of games in Australia  Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 4:06 am

This is why I didn't go into accounting. Currency exchange hurts my head.

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: in regards to the high price of games in Australia    in regards to the high price of games in Australia  Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 11:33 am

im not talking about currency exchange. if something costs twice as much in Austrailia, but you also make twice as much, then it doesnt really cost twice as much, which is what the original photo is about.

Assuming the information in the picture is correct, in the US it takes 8.25 hours to earn enough money to buy a new game, and in Austrailia it takes 7.4 so it would actually be cheaper. the actual cost of the item doesn't matter if your getting paid more. it takes less effort to get the same thing.
Back to top Go down
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

PostSubject: Re: in regards to the high price of games in Australia    in regards to the high price of games in Australia  Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 1:15 pm

im not talking about currency exchange. if something costs twice as much in Austrailia, but you also make twice as much, then it doesnt really cost twice as much, which is what the original photo is about.

Assuming the information in the picture is correct, in the US it takes 8.25 hours to earn enough money to buy a new game, and in Austrailia it takes 7.4 so it would actually be cheaper. the actual cost of the item doesn't matter if your getting paid more. it takes less effort to get the same thing.

The information in the picture is not correct... did you read Dingo's post or his link? In any event since you don't believe in exchange rates being the measure of a specific currency ..... could you at least acknowledge that one country's minimum wage compared to (faulty in the pic) another country's minimum wage is not the way to compare the price of one specific item? If one of the countries minimum wage, (lets say the US) is very undervalued and hasn't kept up with the rate of inflation or other wages and the other country's minimum wages ( Australia) has then you are comparing apples to oranges. It is the median wage of both countries and the purchasing power of both currencies that should be taken into consideration , not a picture containing false information. Do you read any of the replies and just ignore them ? Seriously Dingo lives down under for crying out loud...
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: in regards to the high price of games in Australia    in regards to the high price of games in Australia  Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 9:54 pm

his post said that it is more or less accurate. the minimum wage for 20+ is within .50 cents of the picture.

also I dont think I will be able to carry on this conversation for now. I had a concussion at work today, and this conversation requires a bit more than I can give (yes very poor wording, but like I said concussion)

EDIT: and the general point of what I am trying to make is that someone in austrailia might see the prices of games in US and think wow they are so much cheaper, and someone in america might look at prices and think its way more expensive in austrailia, but each person within the confines of their own country, would work about the same to get the product
Back to top Go down
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

PostSubject: Re: in regards to the high price of games in Australia    in regards to the high price of games in Australia  Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 3:20 am

his post said that it is more or less accurate. the minimum wage for 20+ is within .50 cents of the picture.

also I dont think I will be able to carry on this conversation for now. I had a concussion at work today, and this conversation requires a bit more than I can give (yes very poor wording, but like I said concussion)

EDIT: and the general point of what I am trying to make is that someone in austrailia might see the prices of games in US and think wow they are so much cheaper, and someone in america might look at prices and think its way more expensive in austrailia, but each person within the confines of their own country, would work about the same to get the product

Sorry about your head. but your theory only barely, kinda, almost works if someone is making minimum wage in each country, not the average wage. Maybe when you feel better you might get it. The minimum wage in Washinton state is 9.25 per hour, would using that figure and the 15.59 per hour figure for Auastralia change your computation ? The fact is, it is the median wages of both countries that must be compared if you are comparing wages. I got 4 years of economics theory and business courses behind me and comparing minimum wages to minimum wage is not the way to compare the average cost of goods and services of different countries. We can resume when you feel better, I've looked up several sources and all of them point to Australians paying a larger part of their incomes for goods than almost any other country.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: in regards to the high price of games in Australia    in regards to the high price of games in Australia  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

in regards to the high price of games in Australia
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Gaming HeadQuarters :: Hardware and General Discussion-
Jump to: