The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.


Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community
 
Log inHomeRegisterGallerySearch

Share
 

 Favorite Authors in depth

Go down 
AuthorMessage
nine5one
Third Nation
nine5one

Nation Reputation : 3

Favorite Authors in depth Empty
PostSubject: Favorite Authors in depth   Favorite Authors in depth Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 9:07 am

Here's are a few of my favorite authors, and I'm looking forward to discussing more with those who share a common interest or excellent suggestions....

Michael Crichton

Will always be at the top of my list, the way he wrote held my attention until I finished something I had just picked up. I've read quite a few of his books and my personal favorite will always be Sphere....

Clive Cussler
My newest favorite! Came across this guy by luck! My mother literally threw a book at me cause I was complaining of boredom. I read it and now I've tried to read all of his books but this old guy literally shits literature! Everytime I go to the store he has 5 new titles out and you're stuck thinkin " I was just here yesterday!"

A few of my others...
Peter Straub
Stephen King
Douglas Adams
Dan Brown
...and the list can go on but for the sake starting a discussion I'll keep it short and sweet
Back to top Go down
Eriktr0n
Fourth Nation
Eriktr0n

Nation Reputation : 5

Favorite Authors in depth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors in depth   Favorite Authors in depth Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 12:17 pm

Michael Crichton was AWESOME! He definitely had a style of writing that drew me in.

My all time favorite author though would have to be Chuck Palahniuk. He's probably the only author I actually try to stay updated on.

I also enjoy the occasional Stephen King book but he squeezed a lot of crap out there for a little while.
Back to top Go down
Meathead2004
Second Nation
Meathead2004

Nation Reputation : 1

Favorite Authors in depth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors in depth   Favorite Authors in depth Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 12:57 pm

Speaking of Palahnuik, I just finished Fight Club no more than an hour ago. Its the first book I've read of his. And what an odd read it was. The guy has a real unique style. He's like a cross between Vonnegut, Ted Kaczynksi, Dr. Jekel, Mr. Hyde, and that crazy addict that mumbles to himself outside of the Dollar General. The book was descent. Followed the movie nearly to the T. Ending is slightly different. If nothing else, he kept me engaged throughout. I'd suggest it to those of you who are looking for a quick read. Only took me a few hours to get through it.

Right now my top five authors would be...

No particular order

Vonnegut
Tolkien
Dan Brown
J.D. Salinger
Burgess

...and throw Ken Kesey in there as well. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was such a great book. Still looking for the movie with no avail.
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
eattheword

Nation Reputation : 111

Favorite Authors in depth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors in depth   Favorite Authors in depth Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 1:06 pm

Iain M. Banks -- some of the greatest Sci Fi there is.
Harry Harrison -- I grew up on The Stainless Steel Rat, but Make Room, Make Room! and his other non-Rat books were cool too.
Frederick Forsyth
Tom Clancy (up to and including Executive Orders after which he turned ultra-right-wing tosh)
Takashi Matsuoka -- I dare you not to enjoy Cloud of Sparrows
Isaac Asimov. The 7-book Foundation 'trilogy' remains one of my favourite reads.
Clive Cussler -- Dirk Pitt, he da man.
Andy McNabb -- surprisingly good shoot 'em up adventures
Douglas Adams (apart from Mostly Harmless which was just awful)
Back to top Go down
Meathead2004
Second Nation
Meathead2004

Nation Reputation : 1

Favorite Authors in depth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors in depth   Favorite Authors in depth Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 1:12 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Iain M. Banks -- some of the greatest Sci Fi there is.
Harry Harrison -- I grew up on The Stainless Steel Rat, but Make Room, Make Room! and his other non-Rat books were cool too.
Frederick Forsyth
Tom Clancy (up to and including Executive Orders after which he turned ultra-right-wing tosh)
Takashi Matsuoka -- I dare you not to enjoy Cloud of Sparrows
Isaac Asimov. The 7-book Foundation 'trilogy' remains one of my favourite reads.
Clive Cussler -- Dirk Pitt, he da man.
Andy McNabb -- surprisingly good shoot 'em up adventures
Douglas Adams (apart from Mostly Harmless which was just awful)

I keep looking for Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy at the store, but they're never in stock Sad I've heard only good things, can't wait to get my hands on it.
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
eattheword

Nation Reputation : 111

Favorite Authors in depth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors in depth   Favorite Authors in depth Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 1:52 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Iain M. Banks -- some of the greatest Sci Fi there is.
Harry Harrison -- I grew up on The Stainless Steel Rat, but Make Room, Make Room! and his other non-Rat books were cool too.
Frederick Forsyth
Tom Clancy (up to and including Executive Orders after which he turned ultra-right-wing tosh)
Takashi Matsuoka -- I dare you not to enjoy Cloud of Sparrows
Isaac Asimov. The 7-book Foundation 'trilogy' remains one of my favourite reads.
Clive Cussler -- Dirk Pitt, he da man.
Andy McNabb -- surprisingly good shoot 'em up adventures
Douglas Adams (apart from Mostly Harmless which was just awful)

I keep looking for Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy at the store, but they're never in stock Sad I've heard only good things, can't wait to get my hands on it.

Make sure you get all four books: The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe, So Long and Thanks For All The Fish, and Life, The Universe and Everything. There is a fifth book in the series, Mostly Harmless, but it seemed pointless to me. If you can, get hold of the original BBC radio series first; it came before the books.
Back to top Go down
Eriktr0n
Fourth Nation
Eriktr0n

Nation Reputation : 5

Favorite Authors in depth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors in depth   Favorite Authors in depth Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 3:11 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Speaking of Palahnuik, I just finished Fight Club no more than an hour ago. Its the first book I've read of his. And what an odd read it was. The guy has a real unique style. He's like a cross between Vonnegut, Ted Kaczynksi, Dr. Jekel, Mr. Hyde, and that crazy addict that mumbles to himself outside of the Dollar General. The book was descent. Followed the movie nearly to the T. Ending is slightly different. If nothing else, he kept me engaged throughout. I'd suggest it to those of you who are looking for a quick read. Only took me a few hours to get through it.

Right now my top five authors would be...

No particular order

Vonnegut
Tolkien
Dan Brown
J.D. Salinger
Burgess

...and throw Ken Kesey in there as well. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was such a great book. Still looking for the movie with no avail.

Fight Club isn't even his best book. Go read Choke and Haunted THOSE are definitely an odd yet entertaining read.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest
avatar


Favorite Authors in depth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors in depth   Favorite Authors in depth Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 3:23 pm

Nowadays all I read is Tom Clancy books. I have a whole shelf full of them that I need to read.
Back to top Go down
Meathead2004
Second Nation
Meathead2004

Nation Reputation : 1

Favorite Authors in depth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors in depth   Favorite Authors in depth Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 10:19 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

Fight Club isn't even his best book. Go read Choke and Haunted THOSE are definitely an odd yet entertaining read.

On my flight to Utah over the weekend I grabbed Choke at the bookstore before takeoff. Finished it before I returned home. A little more vulgar than I'm used to. Palahniuk loves to go into acute detail when describing sex scenes, and there are lots of them in the book. Putting that aside though, the book kept me coming back. The plot is WAY out there, which makes it hard to put down. Looking forward to grabbing a few more of his works.

I also finally got my hands on Hitchhiker's Guide. I'm one chapter in and already hooked. Picking up the dry British humor already. What I'm hoping for is that its the Monte Python of literature, and so far I think I'm in luck. Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
eattheword

Nation Reputation : 111

Favorite Authors in depth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors in depth   Favorite Authors in depth Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 12:35 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

I also finally got my hands on Hitchhiker's Guide. I'm one chapter in and already hooked. Picking up the dry British humor already. What I'm hoping for is that its the Monte Python of literature, and so far I think I'm in luck. Very Happy= :D

"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."

If you like stuff like that then you'll LOVE HHGTTG. Very Happy= :D Very Happy= :D Very Happy= :D Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down
Meathead2004
Second Nation
Meathead2004

Nation Reputation : 1

Favorite Authors in depth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors in depth   Favorite Authors in depth Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 12:57 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

I also finally got my hands on Hitchhiker's Guide. I'm one chapter in and already hooked. Picking up the dry British humor already. What I'm hoping for is that its the Monte Python of literature, and so far I think I'm in luck. Very Happy= :D

"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."

If you like stuff like that then you'll LOVE HHGTTG. Very Happy= :D Very Happy= :D Very Happy= :D Very Happy= :D

LOL! Yeah, I thought that quote was great Very Happy= :D

And I was like...

howl gargle howl howl gargle howl gargle gargle howl

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Meathead2004
Second Nation
Meathead2004

Nation Reputation : 1

Favorite Authors in depth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors in depth   Favorite Authors in depth Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 1:05 pm

"When you're cruising down the road in the fast lane and you lazily sail past a few hard-driving cars and are feeling pretty pleased with yourself and then accidentally change down from fourth to first instead of third thus making your engine leap out of your hood in a rather ugly mess, it tends to throw you off your stride in much the same way that this remark threw Ford Prefect off his."

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




Favorite Authors in depth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors in depth   Favorite Authors in depth Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
Favorite Authors in depth
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Entertainment :: Random Chat :: Books, magazines, and comics-
Jump to: