The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Building the site and community

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

Nation Reputation : 167

Building the site and community Empty
PostSubject: Building the site and community   Building the site and community Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 12:09 pm

So Ive had a few ideas I'd like to bounce off people.
As most know the goal with this was to create something beyond an active forum although that is my main goal.
I hope to build a hub (theres that word again) as a one stop shop for gamers.

One, I was thinking of utilizing the calendar if possible to mark game release, patches and dl contets etc. I think i can use it for that. What does everyone think? It will take a bit of time to hunt down dates, but I think it would be a cool thing to offer with what we have to work with here.

Two, we should have a spot with links to friendly and game related sites...no?
A link to Myres or KZ. Gamefly among many others.
Can that be done in those little widgets what ever they are, or do we set up a separate board?

Three I thought it would be a good idea to get a link to the tech support for each console in their respective board.
That way if someone is having an issue and forum members just cant get them in the right direction, they at least have the option to go to the source and go through the pain staking process that is customer support.

These are just a few things buzzing around my head, and a start. My vision for this place is something bigger than just forum.
What ideas does anyone else have?
Post up. Opinions or ideas.

Last edited by SixHousePull on Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: Building the site and community   Building the site and community Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 12:11 pm

News section. Create a team of writers and bloggers who hunt down for stuff on the internets like rumors release dates and give reviews and basic updates on the market and companies. Sorta like a N4G section.
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: Building the site and community   Building the site and community Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 12:15 pm

oLiam0 wrote:
News section. Create a team of writers and bloggers who hunt down for stuff on the internets like rumors release dates and give reviews and basic updates on the market and companies. Sorta like a N4G section.

This is a great idea.
Again, my lack of internet and site knowledge will make me look stupid here as some of that may as well have been written in Greek.
I get the idea, but that's one I don't know that I can do solo.
Setting up the board. No problem
Filling it....for six.... is a big problem.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Building the site and community   Building the site and community Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 12:21 pm

Thats why you get yourself some writers. People that you know that can pull words out of the air to form a sentance that fills your head with an image that shows what they are trying to say.

The ones that can pull words out of there arses are good for fillers.

But you cannot focus it on one area alone. You could have say a xbox focused writer, a ps3 focus writer, a wii writer... Wee writer... MIDGETS! FLEE! ...sorry.
You will need an industry writer too. And also two or three opinion type writers to write rants and give out about stuff.
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: Building the site and community   Building the site and community Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 12:30 pm

I would go in that second list of writers.

Ive set up a news and reviews board.
It has a genericly named forum just to make it appear, and I stuck one in for users blogs.

Now I guess I need to find a way to lure a butt load of writers this way. What works for that? books maybe.
A paper trail....ha...get it?
ok that was bad.

I should be punished.
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: Building the site and community   Building the site and community Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 1:45 pm

Doesnt look like I can add anything to the calendar . Crying or Very sad

So its just there for birthdays.
Thats a bunch of dumb in a box.

Ill have to see what other options there may be.
I liked that idea.
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
eattheword

Nation Reputation : 111

PostSubject: Re: Building the site and community   Building the site and community Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 3:59 pm

Can we do something similar with an RSS feed?
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: Building the site and community   Building the site and community Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 4:15 pm

Uhm....

I dont know what that is. scratch
Back to top Go down
CharlesZidler
First Nation
First Nation
CharlesZidler

Nation Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Building the site and community   Building the site and community Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 5:04 am

oLiam0 wrote:
Thats why you get yourself some writers. People that you know that can pull words out of the air to form a sentance that fills your head with an image that shows what they are trying to say.

But you cannot focus it on one area alone. You could have say a xbox focused writer,a ps3 focus writer, a wii writer... Wee writer... MIDGETS! FLEE! ...sorry.
You will need an industry writer too. And also two or three opinion type writers to write rants and give out about stuff.

Wonder who that could be.... Wink

:geek:
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Building the site and community   Building the site and community Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 5:35 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
oLiam0 wrote:

But you cannot focus it on one area alone. You could have say a xbox focused writer,a ps3 focus writer, a wii writer... Wee writer... MIDGETS! FLEE! ...sorry.

Wonder who that could be.... Wink

:geek:

Eattheword.
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: Building the site and community   Building the site and community Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 6:15 am

lol
Back to top Go down
Leo_337
14th Nation
Leo_337

Nation Reputation : 113

PostSubject: Re: Building the site and community   Building the site and community Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 12:51 pm

If you want to keep abreast of developments in the gaming industry, 'Gamesindustry.biz' is a good site to sign up with for a daily newsletter. Wink It's full of background stories and interviews with developers and such. They also have a full list of upcoming game releases for every console. Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
eattheword

PostSubject: Re: Building the site and community   Building the site and community Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 1:39 pm

Leonardo_337 wrote:
If you want to keep abreast of developments in the gaming industry, 'Gamesindustry.biz' is a good site to sign up with for a daily newsletter. Wink It's full of background stories and interviews with developers and such. They also have a full list of upcoming game releases for every console. Very Happy= :D

Nice tip, thanks Leo.
Back to top Go down
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Seyel

Nation Reputation : 82

PostSubject: Re: Building the site and community   Building the site and community Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 2:29 pm

I liked that idea.

I have just "tested" it.
You click "calendar", up there, in the bar. Then you post an event, so the event shows in the calendar AND in a thread. I have associate the board "Generic name" to this option, so if you post an event in the calendar, it shows also there.

Smile

The default folder was "basquet", so I asume that way what you post in the calendar does not show in any forum. But I wonder if only people who can see the basquet can see the event, I haven't tried. So at the moment, all the events you create will create also a thread in the "Generic name" board, with the same title as the event title.
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
eattheword

PostSubject: Re: Building the site and community   Building the site and community Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 3:53 pm

Seyelback wrote:

I liked that idea.

I have just "tested" it.
You click "calendar", up there, in the bar. Then you post an event, so the event shows in the calendar AND in a thread. I have associate the board "Generic name" to this option, so if you post an event in the calendar, it shows also there.

Smile

The default folder was "basquet", so I asume that way what you post in the calendar does not show in any forum. But I wonder if only people who can see the basquet can see the event, I haven't tried. So at the moment, all the events you create will create also a thread in the "Generic name" board, with the same title as the event title.

You're clever.
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: Building the site and community   Building the site and community Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 4:49 pm

Leonardo_337 wrote:

Sweet. Thanks Leo. Ill check it out for sure.

Quote :
Seyelback
Thu 26 Mar 2009 - 14:29
SixHousePull wrote:

I liked that idea.

I have just "tested" it.

Smile

Sey, you're awesome, cause I couldnt figure the darn thing out.
I still dont fully 'get it' but......you're still awesome even though I am not. No
Back to top Go down
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Seyel

PostSubject: Re: Building the site and community   Building the site and community Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 5:36 pm

Lol

I think we were all looking for an option in the admin panel... when it actually is here, in the forum bar xD just click "calendar", and then at the bottom "add event".
Back to top Go down
Leo_337
14th Nation
Leo_337

Nation Reputation : 113

PostSubject: Re: Building the site and community   Building the site and community Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 5:50 pm

I suggest you add 26th March 2009 as the day that Sixy got pwned by Seyel. Wink
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: Building the site and community   Building the site and community Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 5:55 pm

lol

So ...uhm....the one up top then?

One sec

study

There is nothing in the instruction manual on this.
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: Building the site and community   Building the site and community Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 5:57 pm

Oh. I see.
Well I guess it really cant get any easier then huh?
Back to top Go down
groovy
Fourth Nation

Nation Reputation : 11

PostSubject: Re: Building the site and community   Building the site and community Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 8:40 pm

Leonardo_337 wrote:
I suggest you add 26th March 2009 as the day that Sixy got pwned by Seyel. Wink
SNAP! affraid
Back to top Go down
PiNeAppLe_eNiMa
Fourth Nation

Nation Reputation : 9

PostSubject: Re: Building the site and community   Building the site and community Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 11:53 am

Wha happen to chat box thingy?

Oh and I left XX, FYI.
Back to top Go down
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Seyel

PostSubject: Re: Building the site and community   Building the site and community Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 2:38 pm

Wha happen to chat box thingy?

Oh and I left XX, FYI.

Yesterday the chat was giving problems, and kept disconnecting people. I think Six was looking into new options. I still haven't had time to check if he has found one xD

You did what? O_o
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: Building the site and community   Building the site and community Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 5:17 pm

Did you see the one in the admin boards Sey?

There was one in the list of links you left that I really really liked......... but it costs money
Six no has money. No

There are a couple other goods one in there, but I couldnt get any of them to work.

Six no has tech brain either.

Results were hit and miss, Ill put it that way.
Back to top Go down
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Seyel

PostSubject: Re: Building the site and community   Building the site and community Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 7:13 pm

Did you see the one in the admin boards Sey?

There was one in the list of links you left that I really really liked......... but it costs money
Six no has money. No

There are a couple other goods one in there, but I couldnt get any of them to work.

Six no has tech brain either.

Results were hit and miss, Ill put it that way.
Replying there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Building the site and community   Building the site and community Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Building the site and community
Page 1 of 9Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: News in the Nation :: Things You Should Know :: The Suggestion Box-
Jump to: