The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

Book Recommendations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Meathead2004
Second Nation
Meathead2004

Nation Reputation : 1

Book Recommendations Empty
PostSubject: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 6:20 pm

Let's get it on!!

Just wanted to get it going. My list coming shortly
Back to top Go down
tacgnol998
Second Nation
tacgnol998

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 11:14 pm

just finished "The Hot Zone". it is a nonfiction book about Ebola and Marburg virus and the outbreaks of it. i had to read it for a class but i enjoyed it quite a bit. it is extremely disturbing, not only because of the detail of the book, but because it was a real event. if you are into "entry level" science stories, this is a great book. on the back cover, there is a quote by Stephen King "One of the scariest stories I have ever read".

i definitely suggest it.

as for myself, i am looking for a new law/science thriller. i love john grisham books and similar things, but havent read anything good in a while. any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Meathead2004
Second Nation
Meathead2004

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 8:16 am

Slaughterhouse-5 is a good one. Written by Vonnegut in the 60's I think. It recounts his experience in the bombing of Dresden during WWII. Odd style, very entertaining. Humorous, serious, despondent, all rolled into one. A must read if you ask me.
Back to top Go down
Cel
13th Nation
Cel

Nation Reputation : 61

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 8:35 am

If you are interested in classical history like Greek Mythology,I absolutely recommend "The Trojan War" By Barry Strauss.It tells the mythology and then tells what historians ans archaeologists think what really happen.Awesome read. Wink
Back to top Go down
Babbajabba
New in the Nation
Babbajabba

Nation Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 6:40 pm

Im a big SciFi/Horror buff, below are the best of the best in my opinion:

I Am Legend - The most perfect short story, period! Very well written, perfectly paced and deeply engaging. Oodles better than the film with a much more satisfying ending. My only gripe is that it had to end, as I worked my way through the last few chapters, slowing feeling the pages between my right thumb and forefinger thin, all I was thinking was, "dont end!". It grips you that tightly. I really dont want to go into the plot, or spoil it in any way. But atleast let me say, if you have seen the film then you havent had the plot ruined. They are that different. This is so much better.
Vampire fans, apocalypse nuts and survival lovers will adore this. It also goes into great detail about the who "condition" and poses some very solid theories on vampires in history, enriching the story, making the setting and events seem all the more possible.

READ THIS BEFORE YOU DIE!!

Author - Richard Matheson
Pages - 160
Genre - Horror (vampire)

The Shrinking Man - Another Richard Matheson classic. I moved onto this after my enjoyment of I Am Legend. Both books share the same "Last man alive" theme, as the books protagonist finds himself trapped inside his basement, fighting off the ever massing number of threats, including a back-widow spider.
The story is split into two perspectives. One of his life leading upto the events in the basement, and the other his tale of fighting the odds in an ever growing world, trapped in the basement. It makes the story hard to follow on short reads, as the chapters alternate between the two timelines until they both meet up, but considering this again is a very short book, weighing in at a mere 201 pages. It wont take long to finish, but is well worth every second. Yet another book I didnt want to end.

Author - Richard Matheson
Pages - 201
Genre - SciFi

Roadside Picnic - Moving onto more SciFi, my next suggestion is a Russian classic. A raging red communist bear of a book. Again feeding from the narrative of an otherworldly event and one mans strife and struggles through them. The story is set in a small American town after the events of a "visitation" from space. Aliens landed on random spots all over the world, leaving behind terrible environmental effects. Strange ooze, weird physics and incredible technology. The tale follows a man who ventures into these quarantined areas along with other "stalkers", risking his life to obtain artefacts and sell them on the black market.
The story draws heavily from the events of Chernobyl. Including the effects of radiation, quarantine and the illegal trespass into these areas. This book was such a massive success in Russia it spawn a film, and also was heavily referenced in the PC game. S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl.
My only gripe is how the book isnt chaptered. Well almost. Its 144 pages are split into little more than 4 chapters. This woudlnt be such a problem if the book wasnt so hard to put down. I found myself getting tired, but still wanting to soldier on to finish the chapter.

Author - Arkady & Boris Strugatsky
Pages - 144
Genre - SciFi

Gateway - Gateway is the near perfect novel for me. I was forwarded on to this after finishing Roadside Picnic due its similar exploration into the unknown themes. A new planetoid has been discovered, once inhabited by an long since departed, highly advanced alien race know as the HeeChee. They left behind hundreds of ships, pre-set with destinations all over the galaxy. Some lead to riches, artefacts, new planets. Some lead to death. The ships auto-returning with the mutilated, poisoned crew or just plain not returning at all. Its not all SciFi though, the book goes deeply into the main characters relationships, work troubles, and fears.
Similar to The Shrinking Man, the story flips between two narratives from chapter to chapter. This time switching between the main events and the reflection on the events of the main character to his shrink. This drip fed information keeps the pace even, countering less eventful chapters with burst of information that keeps you wanting to read on.

Author - Frederik Pohl
Pages - 313
Genre - SciFi

Im currently working my way through the "Forever War" Trilogy by Joe Haldeman. So far so good, the first two are damn good, although the character development is alittle slim, and not much is revealed into the main characters thought, but this allows you to focus harder on the story and setting, letting you impose your own personality onto the lead.

I shall be back with some more suggestions, but less SciFi next time. After the last "War" book Ive got some Clive Barker classics to get stuck into.

Apologiees in advance if Ive repeated myself, if contains spelling mistakes etc. Buts its 12:38am and Im just going on what I can remember.

Peace and love spring piggies!!
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

Nation Reputation : 167

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 8:22 pm

You may have sold me on Roadside Picnic

Sounds good. I just never have much reading time. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Babbajabba
New in the Nation
Babbajabba

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 4:29 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
You may have sold me on Roadside Picnic

Sounds good. I just never have much reading time. Neutral

Yeah, I really really rate this book highly. You can pick up a copy pretty cheap on Play.com. Got mine for £5.49. Which does sound alittle steep, considering its only 144 pages. But its so so worth it.

For a good Action/Thriller, its an oldie, but a goodie: The Day of the Jackal.
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
eattheword

Nation Reputation : 111

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 4:59 pm

[quote="SixHousePull"

For a good Action/Thriller, its an oldie, but a goodie: The Day of the Jackal.

Any of Frederick Forsyth's books is a good read. Not too long, well researched, good plots and characterizations.
Back to top Go down
Babbajabba
New in the Nation
Babbajabba

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 5:33 pm

Any of Frederick Forsyth's books is a good read. Not too long, well researched, good plots and characterizations.

Yeah, FF's journalistic approach is very endearing, plot, setting, even down to the smallest detail has been accurately researched.

I've bought way too many books of late. Now finishing Forever Free by Joe Haldeman.. Then I've got some Clive Barker, Stephen King and some more Frederick Forsyth to get through.
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
eattheword

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 3:23 am

If you like well researched, well-told war stories, then try some Larry Bond (hard to find) and Harold Coyle. Coyle has done modern warfare as well as a big series set in the American Civil War. Emminently readable.

My favourite author of historical novel series at the moment is Bernard Cornwell.
Back to top Go down
-ZeeK-
Second Nation
-ZeeK-

Nation Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 9:13 pm

WTF are books?
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 3:45 am

There those things that you cut trees down for and write on em so people can read. Like the internet but without the internet and you can't leave comments for people to see unless you give someone the book or throw it at them. Make good door stops.

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
D1LDOBAGG1NS
Fifth Nation
D1LDOBAGG1NS

Nation Reputation : 2

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 1:05 pm

If your into Medieval Fantasy, Check out R.A. Salvatore's series: Legend of the Drow, IcewindDale Trilogy, Hunter's Blades Trilogy. Very good stuff.

Also Graphic Novels: Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, Sin City (the book series rocked), & Wanted (the book beats the movie hands down)
Back to top Go down
A_Bloody_Bunny
Fifth Nation
A_Bloody_Bunny

Nation Reputation : 18

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 8:15 am

Always been curious about Salvatore but never picked up one of his books ...

who (in the same genre) would you liken him to?
Back to top Go down
redhamuSLA
Fifth Nation
redhamuSLA

Nation Reputation : 23

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 5:54 pm

Bannay wrote:
Slaughterhouse-5 is a good one. Written by Vonnegut in the 60's I think. It recounts his experience in the bombing of Dresden during WWII. Odd style, very entertaining. Humorous, serious, despondent, all rolled into one. A must read if you ask me.

"So it goes."

Some stuff I'd recommend:

John Fante -- Ask the Dust
Charles Bukowski -- Diary of a Dirty Old Man
JT Leroy -- The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things

Baudelaire -- Paris Spleen

Phillip K. Dick -- Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said
Ray Bradbury -- Fahrenheit 451
Back to top Go down
Rxforwar
Seventh Nation
Rxforwar

Nation Reputation : 32

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 7:30 pm

Bannay wrote:

I'd second this one here. It's been forever, but I remember putting it down having enjoyed it.
Back to top Go down
Meathead2004
Second Nation
Meathead2004

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 9:07 pm

Bannay wrote:

I'd second this one here. It's been forever, but I remember putting it down having enjoyed it.

Oh yeah, good read. And I can't wait to get my hands on those TVs that take up the entire wall bounce

It reminded me a lot of The Giver, which you should check out if you haven't yet. Its a childrens book, but a good read all the same. Follows the same "Don't try to control society by clouding their thoughts, brainwashing them, suppression, etc" theme.

Finally jumping back into A Clockwork Orange too. Gave up on it a few months ago. Now that I've forced myself through the first few chapters, its so much easier to understand. It just kind of clicked after a while, even with half the words being Russian or just made up. Its style seems a bit like Catcher in the Rye. Wild teenager with a dirty mouth and all that cal, of course the latter character may just be a big phony...

Last edited by Meathead2004 on Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
eattheword

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 4:23 am

Bannay wrote:

I had to burn it afterwards.
Back to top Go down
Meathead2004
Second Nation
Meathead2004

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 7:06 pm

I tried reading the first Harry Potter couple days ago. Got through the first chapter and... Sleep

I may give it another try some other time No
Back to top Go down
D1LDOBAGG1NS
Fifth Nation
D1LDOBAGG1NS

Nation Reputation : 2

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2009 10:30 am

Fahrenheit 451 is a great read, also check out Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (it'll get you thinking about alot of things in society today and the book was published back in 1932 which really gets you thinking)
Back to top Go down
Dingo
Ninth Nation
Dingo

Nation Reputation : 42

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2009 10:50 am

There a few that me says are a very good read as they deal with life after aliens have invaded. Sadly me cant remember the names of the books atm and they in mt huge book pile in the corner of the room....OMG yes me does read books.
Back to top Go down
Meathead2004
Second Nation
Meathead2004

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 6:44 pm

Just finished off Life of Pi this week. It's about a small boy who survives a boat accident while traveling from India to Canada. He is a lone survivor save a 450 pound bengal tiger, both of whom have found themselves on a small lifeboat. The boy manages to feed himself and the tiger with fish and turtles that he catches from the sea, and continues to do so for over 200 days until they are rescued. Fairly slow start, but in the end a pretty good book. Great twist in the end. Definitely not life altering or anything, but again, good all the same. Pick it up if you find yourself looking for something new and different to read.
Back to top Go down
Meathead2004
Second Nation
Meathead2004

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 6:55 pm

Book this week is One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - by Ken Kesey. Not sure where I heard about it, from the reviews I've seen its a 60's classic. Anyway. About two thirds the way through and I am really enjoying it. Its written through the viewpoint of a mental patient, which is pretty interesting in itself because the guy is constantly hallucinating and suffering bits of paranoia. But the story follows a mental ward and its strict, controlling head nurse. All the patients are afraid of her and are powerless against her manipulative ways. Things only turn around when a new patient is checked in, who doesn't really have a disorder, he just simply wants to escape hard labor that is sentenced him because of his violent behavior. What I've read so far is great, can't wait to finish. I hear there is a terrific twist in the end. I also want to check the film out too with Jack Nickleson when I'm done. Which I've also heard good things.

Anyway. Go get it. You'll like it Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down
nine5one
Third Nation
nine5one

Nation Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations Icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2009 11:28 am

absolutely loved the movie, I imagine I'd love the book as well
Back to top Go down
Meathead2004
Second Nation
Meathead2004

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 6:59 pm

Finishing up a Brave New World. For a book written in the 30's, Huxley predicts the state of the modern society with surprising accuracy. Stem cell research, drub abuse, casual liaisons, material idolatry. Didn't think I would like it, but I've been trying to read a lot of the classics when I come across them, and this one is a lot better than I expected. Many parallels with Fahrenheit 451 I thought. Looking forward to reading 1984 next, follows along the same anti-totalitarianism theme.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Book Recommendations

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Entertainment :: Random Chat :: Books, magazines, and comics-
Jump to: