The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

Book Recommendations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

Book Recommendations - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 6:02 am

Doubt it at all. Many theories abound.
Third book was a bugger for me to find nowhere stocked it but one day I was just looking through a store seen some graphic novels, figured I'd have a look, pick one up and boom theres "The Golden City" right behind it. Went running to the counter with it.

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Seyel

Nation Reputation : 82

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 11:48 am

I saw it online (Amazon or so) but I have some vouchers for Waterstones and I keep forgetting to go in there and check. Thinking But thank you for the reminder, I want to finish the trilogy. I hate leaving trilogies or series without an end, I need to finish them even if I do not like them. Thinking

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 5:04 am

Same, its how I got through the Shanahan series. Bigger than the bible

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

Back to top Go down
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Seyel

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 12:00 pm

Lmao O'Rly wrote:
Same, its how I got through the Shanahan series. Bigger than the bible

Thinking It is a shame if it is not that good, because the Landover series was entertaining at least. I had that problem with Eragon, which I felt is was not good, but I just wanted to know what happened next and I kept buying the next one. Worst thing is that he decided that he could not write everything in 3 books and now I have to wait for a forth! Grrr... lol Or the Vampyre Chronicles by Anne Rice. Gosh... the first books were pse, ok. The last ones were awful, and I still read them. Well, to a point, I stopped with "Blood Canticle" because I could not bear all those descriptions on Lestat's designer clothes and romantic drama that was also flat and unbelievable. Aweful. I still read the Mayfair Witches, though. Lol. I think those books have been the only ones I have given away to friends. I treasure books more than anything, if I don't buy now as many is because I have not got any space left in my tiny flat (I had over 300 last time I counted, 4 years ago) and I read a lot of ebooks. But I gave away those just so I could get some decent books instead. Sleep

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
CobaltMonkey

Nation Reputation : 203

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 1:24 pm

Either of you familiar with the Sword of Truth series?

Back to top Go down
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Seyel

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 1:46 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Either of you familiar with the Sword of Truth series?

Only that it has been written by a third Terry, we have mentioned Terry Pratchet and Terry Brooks already... let me google it... Goodkind! Lol, Terry Goodkind. Is the book any good?

Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 2:21 pm

Yes. Very much so, in my opinion. Most of the series is just great.
Very mature, and pretty dark as well. I believe I compared it to the Wheel of Time series in it's thread here, if you've ever read that one. I really cared for the characters in SoT though, even more than I did for that one because they all really grew and changed whereas the Wheel's people remain pretty much themselves.
It's fantasy setting, of course, but it's more than that too. I mean, the setting is important and stays important throughout the series, but a lot of it is like, "Well, now that we've established what setting we're in, here's a lot of"--I can't think of the right word right now. I want to say Social Commentary, but I don't think that's quite right.
Thinking Whatever. I'm sleepy. Sue me. Razz
Anyways, the first book is called The Wizard's First Rule. They generally give you another new rule every book. Thing is, most of these have nothing to do with magic in the least. In fact, for most of them, you wouldn't be amiss to try following them. Shocked I won't spoil anything, so you'll just have to give it a look.

I'm communicating poorly right now. I may have to revisit this later. In the meantime, I can only really say that I highly recommend this series.

Night. Monkey go to sleep nao.
Sleep

Back to top Go down
Azira
13th Nation
Azira

Nation Reputation : 100

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 11:04 pm

I personally love Naomi Novik's Temeraire books. Dragons and the Napoleonic Wars... I think I like alternate histories. I wonder how that happened. Thinking Laughing

I also really love Diane Duane's So You Want to Be a Wizard series. I just got the latest book about a month ago after a five-year wait, and boy did I enjoy it. ^_^
Back to top Go down
Meathead2004
Second Nation
Meathead2004

Nation Reputation : 1

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 5:03 pm

If you are into physics. Check out Brian Greene's books The Elegant Universe and The Fabric of the Cosmos. He has the ability to explain fairly complex ideas in ways that even a layman can understand. Physicists all over the world are trying to explain where we came from and how. He details some of the recent developments as well as the setbacks. Some of the theories out there are really interesting. Shining new light on our "conception" of reality. Check em out. You won't regret it.

As for fiction....

I'm still hung up on Water for Elephants. Continues to stand as one of my all time favs. I recently read Dune - Frank Herbert, but wasn't blown away. Watch the movie and you'll get just as much out of it. Too verbose as well. Into Thin Air - Krakauer was a good one. The author recounts his climb to the top of Everest during the year that many lost their lives due to a wind storm that struck the summit as climbers are reaching the top. Though not fiction, I really enjoyed it. He also wrote Into the Wild, which I've heard good things about. That one is next on my list.

What else...

Oh yeah. Hi all!

Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down
Porky
Seventh Nation
Porky

Nation Reputation : 31

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 5:13 pm

I'm really really sowwy for being off topic, but....

Hi Book Recommendations - Page 5 811307 Puggy!!!!! Been a loooooooooooong time. Kiss
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

Nation Reputation : 41

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 5:50 pm

Amber & Blood is a really good book, but you would have to be familiar with the dragonlance series for most of it to make any sense
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

Nation Reputation : 29

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 6:23 pm

Read Lovecraft, have Shocked dreams.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 8:24 pm

I gotta disagree. All the Lovecraft I've read was beyond boring and predictable. Neutral Not it's fault, of course. It was groundbreaking when it was made, but I was not impressed.
However, I would like to play some Call of Cthulhu someday. Thinking

Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 8:39 pm

Same. Hell, I already have most of the short story "Dagon" put into game terms.

Yeah, I could do Cthulhu DND.... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Meathead2004
Second Nation
Meathead2004

Nation Reputation : 1

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 8:40 pm

Porky-Peg-Leg wrote:
I'm really really sowwy for being off topic, but....

Hi Book Recommendations - Page 5 811307 Puggy!!!!! Been a loooooooooooong time. Kiss

Hey! How goes it Porky!

Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss

I've missed you like crazy!

*Face palm for sounding too Justin Beabery*

Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down
Porky
Seventh Nation
Porky

Nation Reputation : 31

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 10:50 am

It goes good thanks Puggy. Good to see you around again. Kiss Kiss

I can't remember the last time I read a book. Rolling Eyes I don't get the time to.
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
eattheword

Nation Reputation : 111

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 11:15 am

Just starting the last 250 page stretch of "Pandora's Star" by Peter F. Hamilton (1143 pages). If you like your Sci-Fi:

• Well-written
  • With multiple interleaved plotlines
  • In a very credible and novel universe
  • With a good blend of suspense, shoot 'em up action, and whodunnit

then this book is for you. I believe the story is a two-parter with the conclusion in "Judas Unchained". So the first 1443 pages only really set the scene! cheers
Back to top Go down
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Seyel

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 3:59 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Just starting the last 250 page stretch of "Pandora's Star" by Peter F. Hamilton (1143 pages). If you like your Sci-Fi:

• Well-written
  • With multiple interleaved plotlines
  • In a very credible and novel universe
  • With a good blend of suspense, shoot 'em up action, and whodunnit

then this book is for you. I believe the story is a two-parter with the conclusion in "Judas Unchained". So the first 1443 pages only really set the scene! cheers

You had me convinced until you said that those 1443 are the introduction lol. I will keep it in my list of "next books I want to read", I will start in September.

Back to top Go down
Charlitos
Seventh Nation
Charlitos

Nation Reputation : 19

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 11:38 pm

Porky-Peg-Leg wrote:

I can't remember the last time I read a book. Rolling Eyes I don't get the time to.
And by that you mean not having time because you're logging into a team deathmatch, right Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 9:40 pm

I recommend these books by Tom Clancy:

Red Rabbit
Cardinal of the Kremlin
Patriot Games
Without Remorse

Those four books are a great read.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 11:25 pm

RatchetH22 wrote:
I recommend these books by Tom Clancy:

Chimeran Rabbit
Chimera of the Kremlin
Planet Conquering Games
Without Stage 9 Inhibitors

Those four books are a great read.

Shocked
I begin to suspect you have a small obsession...

Last edited by CobaltMonkey on Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 8:29 am

@CobaltMonkey wrote:

Shocked
I begin to suspect you have a small obsession...

I don't know what you are talking about Monkey...Laughing

Has anyone read the book Dead Space: Martyr? I'm probably getting it soon.
Back to top Go down
Kilmory
Sixth Nation
Kilmory

Nation Reputation : 38

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 11:12 am

I can recommend two books.

First is Sniper one by Sgt Dan Mills. True account of a British combat unit in Iraq. Tells it how I remember it and doesn't pull any punches.

Second is Don't cry for me Sgt-Major. Before my time set in the Falklands conflict but only heard good things about it. Couple of guys I know are in it and say it is a good account with a little bit of poetic licence. Funny as hell too. The phantom turd burglar is a classic bit of squaddie humour.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm

Finished upThe Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe earlier this week. It's a great book that covers the first American astronauts in space.

Right now I'm reading Tom Clancy's Op-Center: Games of State. So far it's an interesting book.
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 9:56 am

I strongly, strongly recommend the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin, on account that its a fantasy series that can compete with the Lord of the Rings in terms of quality.

READ THEM NOW.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Book Recommendations

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Entertainment :: Random Chat :: Books, magazines, and comics-
Jump to: