The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

Book Recommendations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
banded1
Tenth Nation
banded1

Nation Reputation : 59

Book Recommendations - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 7:36 pm

i had to read that in english class lol. its a decent book i will say
Back to top Go down
Canon44
Second Nation

Nation Reputation : 8

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 2:44 pm

Just finished up "Inside Delta Force" (the book that the TV show The Unit is based on) by Eric L. Haney. It was an excellent read, at 403 pages, its pretty quick to get through.

The book is about the creation and formation of a group so secretive that the U.S. govenment won't even acknowledge. The book picks up with Haney going into "Selection," and continuing through to his training and missions undertaken by the group in its early days.

If you're into the subject matter, this one is a must.
Back to top Go down
Meathead2004
Second Nation
Meathead2004

Nation Reputation : 1

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 10:16 am

Read another Vonnegut this week. Cat's Cradle. Fairly entertaining. He definitely has a style all his own. Seems to me though that its much easier to criticize than to suggest ways to turn things around for the positive. Nonetheless, I'd suggest it to those that haven't read it. Really funny at parts.
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
eattheword

Nation Reputation : 111

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 8:35 am

"Pegasus Bridge" and "Band of Brothers", both by Stephen Ambrose. Excellent stuff. Narrative history of events on and subsequent to D-Day based on interviews with the people who did the shooting.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 8:36 am

Well Eat if you have read the books then I reccommend the DVD Boxset.

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
eattheword

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 8:40 am

Liam wrote:
Well Eat if you have read the books then I reccommend the DVD Boxset.

I got the DVD boxset a few years back. Thought I'd go and read the book. The DVD series is remarkably faithful to the book; v. little difference at all.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 8:42 am

Nice then the books would be very much worth it.

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
eattheword

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 8:48 am

Yes, heartily recommended. Pegasus Bridge is great because I knew very little about that operation apart from the short segment it got in The Longest Day. It's really interesting to get the back story of all the characters, especially Major John Howard.
Back to top Go down
Meathead2004
Second Nation
Meathead2004

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 9:04 am

Nice! Didn't even know the show was based on a book. Definitely gonna check these out soon Very Happy= :D

I also recommend The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Great book set in Afghanistan from the 1980's to 2001. A real eye opener to modern middle eastern culture.
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
eattheword

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 9:07 am

Yeah. Ambrose has written a lot of history, but in this family he wrote Pegasus Bridge first, then Band of Brothers, then D-Day and a couple more besides.
Back to top Go down
Meathead2004
Second Nation
Meathead2004

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 9:09 am

Are they set up in a series style. Or does it not matter which I read first?
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
eattheword

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 9:38 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Are they set up in a series style. Or does it not matter which I read first?

Completely separate and self-contained.

Pegasus Bridge is a short book about the British 6th Airborne's taking of the two bridges to the east flank of the D-Day landings (the first action of D-Day, in fact). Band of Brothers, as you know, follows the life of Easy Company (503 2nd battalion, 101st Airborne Division) from its inception through to the end of WW II. "D-Day", though I haven't read it is, I guess, about D-Day. They're not novels, they're narrative histories.
Back to top Go down
Meathead2004
Second Nation
Meathead2004

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 9:30 pm

I also recommend The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Great book set in Afghanistan from the 1980's to 2001. A real eye opener to modern middle eastern culture.
His second book A Thousand Splendid Suns is a great read as well. Follows the lives of two women who grew up in Afghanistan during the soviet invasion. The timeline parallels closely with his first book, ending around 2003. Definitely a page turner. Not only a great story but a hidden history lesson as well. Learned a lot about what the whole fuss is about over there. Check it out.
Back to top Go down
Toxxy
Ninth Nation
Toxxy

Nation Reputation : 23

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 2:33 pm

Cool
Does anyone have a Greg Kynes to recommend?
study
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
eattheword

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 2:44 pm

Sorry, off topic, but this just reminded me that Bernard Cornwell's latest book is out on 1 October. It's called "The Burning Land" and it's the fifth in the Uhtred/King Alfred series. Just went and pre-ordered it on Amazon.
Back to top Go down
Dolemitesooner
Fifth Nation
Dolemitesooner

Nation Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 5:51 pm

I just picked up "Case for a Creator" by Lee strobel.

Eat have you ever read it

Next I will read "A case for Christ"
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
eattheword

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 3:10 am

I think I've read the Case for Christ but not Case for a Creator. What did you think of it?
Back to top Go down
Meathead2004
Second Nation
Meathead2004

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 11:26 pm

God: The Evidence is supposed to be a good ontological read, but I've yet to find it. Also picked up God is No Delusion a while back. Its a rebuttal to Dawkins' God Delusion. Haven't read it quit yet but will soon. The parts of it I've skimmed through, he seems to base a lot of his points on scripture which imho is a weak argument for God. God: The Evidence supposedly uses more empirical data and logic to prove existence of a creator.

Dole, I suggest you check out some of John Lennox's stuff too, as requested earlier in this thread by Eat. He makes some good points. And if your really serious about finding truth for yourself, I recommend reading from both sides of the fence. There's no one better at arguing for creationism than he that knows all the arguments against it. Dawkins as mentioned before, Christopher Hitchens, Dennett, any of those authors will do. The dialect can be a bit demeaning at times, especially for a believer, but I feel looking at things from outside the box can be very beneficial, expanding your knowledge of the subject even further and shining a light on where you truly stand with God.
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
eattheword

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 5:36 am

Bear in mind that Hitchens and Dawkins, whilst being two of the most famous apologists for atheism at the moment, come from the New Atheist branch (sect?) and there are many many atheists out there who actually find Dawkins and co. a little too extreme and strident in their views. Personally, I find Dawkins rather smug, self-satisfied, and sneering and just as bad as many of those hellfire evangelists.
Back to top Go down
Dolemitesooner
Fifth Nation
Dolemitesooner

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 8:13 am

I think I've read the Case for Christ but not Case for a Creator. What did you think of it?
Eat I have not started it yet. I just bought it on Thursday. I just picked it up because I found it used for $4.97.

Right now I am breezing through the new Dan Brown book "The Lost Symbol."
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
eattheword

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 9:53 am

Eat I have not started it yet. I just bought it on Thursday. I just picked it up because I found it used for $4.97.

Right now I am breezing through the new Dan Brown book "The Lost Symbol."

$4.97. I love random book prices! Very Happy= :D

Someone in England set the new world speed reading record with The Lost Symbol last week, managing to read the entire thing in 48 minutes. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Dolemitesooner
Fifth Nation
Dolemitesooner

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 10:49 am

Thats fast....lmao

The begining of the book set up just like "The Divinci Code" but then it really takes off. He is by far not the most talented writer ever, but at times he can grip a reader with a scene. Chapter 45 really had me on the dge of my seat. I should be done with it in the next couple of days and I will let you all know what I think.
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
eattheword

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 1:31 pm

true -- he can tell a gripping tale. I enjoyed DVC and A&D as adventure tales. I might just read the new one.
Back to top Go down
Meathead2004
Second Nation
Meathead2004

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 11:58 pm

Yep, got the new one myself. The reviews I've seen so far for the book are both good and bad. Haven't started it yet, but at a glance it looks like its gonna be the cookie cutter Robert Langdon novel that we're all familiar with. Not that its necessarily bad for Brown to follow the same format and style of his prior books, they were no doubt entertaining. It would be nice to have a bit of variety though. But even still, I'm sure it will be as gripping and exciting as the others. And I would like to learn a few things about the masons. Of course with Brown, your always forced to go behind him and check his facts, which aren't always as accurate as he makes them appear. Either way, can't wait to delve in there.
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
eattheword

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 9:32 am

Yeah, that's one of the problems with Brown: his predeliction to pass off fiction as fact.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Book Recommendations

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Entertainment :: Random Chat :: Books, magazines, and comics-
Jump to: