The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

Book Recommendations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

Book Recommendations - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 10:21 am

Having read four of Browns novels, only two I could stand. The Robert Langdon ones.
And while interesting ideas, they tend to be crap.

The movie version of Angels and Demons was actually way better than the book version.

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Meathead2004
Second Nation
Meathead2004

Nation Reputation : 1

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 10:42 pm

Yo Dole!

You done with the book yet? We're waiting for the review Nerd
Back to top Go down
Dolemitesooner
Fifth Nation
Dolemitesooner

Nation Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 12:36 am

I got about 130 pages left to read
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
eattheword

Nation Reputation : 111

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 2:24 am

Ok, so there was the symbol, right? And it got lost. And then someone found it and decided to set up a secret society which they used to put people in high places and they now run the entire world whilst creaming off the profits for themselves. Is that about it?
Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down
Meathead2004
Second Nation
Meathead2004

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 7:47 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Ok, so there was the symbol, right? And it got lost. And then someone found it and decided to set up a secret society which they used to put people in high places and they now run the entire world whilst creaming off the profits for themselves. Is that about it?
Very Happy= :D

lulz

From that, I bet that the symbol is Richard Simmon's lost rendition of the macarena...just saying Very Happy= :D

Sorry if I ruined the ending Dole. Puzzled
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 8:15 am

Don't forget to add in that the Villian of it all is someone totally unexpected like someone the protagonist really trusts.

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.

Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
eattheword

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 10:10 am

Liam wrote:
Don't forget to add in that the Villian of it all is someone totally unexpected like someone the protagonist really trusts.

He surely wouldn't do it three books in a row would he?

Anyway, I haven't read it so this is pure and unfounded speculation. Let's wait to see what Dole says; like I said, I'm tempted to pick it up myself. I have an Iain M. Banks and a Bernard Cornwell to get through first though.
Back to top Go down
chica
Fifth Nation
chica

Nation Reputation : 7

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 10:28 am

Hi all,

My recommendation would be Messiah by Boris Starling, picked this book up years ago and still remains my favourite book of all time. Extremely well written and makes Silence of the Lambs look like Alice in Wonderland (not my quote but very apt). Not sure, but I think it won a Gold Dagger award too. Was also made into a TV drama, which was good, but didn't do the book justice imo.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 10:57 am

Liam wrote:

He surely wouldn't do it three books in a row would he?

Anyway, I haven't read it so this is pure and unfounded speculation. Let's wait to see what Dole says; like I said, I'm tempted to pick it up myself. I have an Iain M. Banks and a Bernard Cornwell to get through first though.

Think you mean Four there cause he already did in three.

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Back to top Go down
Toxxy
Ninth Nation
Toxxy

Nation Reputation : 23

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 2:36 pm

Hi all,

My recommendation would be Messiah by Boris Starling, picked this book up years ago and still remains my favourite book of all time. Extremely well written and makes Silence of the Lambs look like Alice in Wonderland (not my quote but very apt). Not sure, but I think it won a Gold Dagger award too. Was also made into a TV drama, which was good, but didn't do the book justice imo.
Cool
will pick it up!
Back to top Go down
Dolemitesooner
Fifth Nation
Dolemitesooner

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 10:44 am

I will be finished tonight.

Review will be published right after.
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
eattheword

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 1:04 pm

Yay! cheers
Back to top Go down
Meathead2004
Second Nation
Meathead2004

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 2:31 pm

Yay! cheers

:excitedsign:
Back to top Go down
Dolemitesooner
Fifth Nation
Dolemitesooner

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 6:04 am

15 pages, and I passed out. lol finishing now. LMAO
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
eattheword

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 6:09 am

15 pages, and I passed out. lol finishing now. LMAO

That good huh?
Back to top Go down
Dolemitesooner
Fifth Nation
Dolemitesooner

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 7:43 am

All Finished.

The last 20 pages are pretty good, but I was soooooo tired.

As for my review. I have a enough time to leave a short thought this morning.

Read it. Remember that its fiction and enjoy the ride. Its like a good Indiana Jones flick. Thought provocking at times.

One scene that I will never forget takes places in Katerine Solomon's lab. Thought that was the most intense part of the book.
Back to top Go down
wh1ttle
New in the Nation

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 9:01 am

Books I'd recommend are the His Dark Materials trilogy and Fermat's Last Theorem, which is basically a brief history of maths and ends with how a man managed to solve a very famous theorem which no-one had been able to figure out for hundreds of years. It's a lot more interesting than it sounds, very good book.
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
eattheword

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 11:45 am

Nice selection wh!ttle

His Dark Materials: well written and clever story, but too bleak and nihilistic for my liking
Fermat's Last Theorem: a wonderful book, fascinating insight into the mind of an obsessed mathematician. Gripping stuff.
Back to top Go down
Meathead2004
Second Nation
Meathead2004

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 10:41 pm

Not sure if anyone has read the Hitchiker's series other than ETW, if not you should, the first was great. Can't wait to read more. Very recently though, there was yet another release, written by Colfer that continues the series. What are the thoughts on this one? Will Colfer's adaptation be worth the read? Will it be a sad attempt at capturing Adams' style? Do you think he'll try to do his own thing, altering the "feel" of the series? Or do you think he may surprise us and fit well in his predecessor's shoes? Thoughts
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
eattheword

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 12:44 am

NightOfTheLivinghead2004 wrote:
Not sure if anyone has read the Hitchiker's series other than ETW, if not you should, the first was great. Can't wait to read more. Very recently though, there was yet another release, written by Colfer that continues the series. What are the thoughts on this one? Will Colfer's adaptation be worth the read? Will it be a sad attempt at capturing Adams' style? Do you think he'll try to do his own thing, altering the "feel" of the series? Or do you think he may surprise us and fit well in his predecessor's shoes? Thoughts

It's currently on the radio here at the moment, but I haven't listened in yet. You can listen in here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Meathead2004
Second Nation
Meathead2004

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 7:52 pm

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainence - Robert Pirsig. Anyone ever try to wade through that one? Definitely one that requires some effort from the reader to understand a lot of the points. Halfway through that and The Elegant Universe - Brian Greene. The latter is tremendously easy to understand for those of us who aren't graduate level physics students...well as easy as quantum mechanics and string theory can't get I presume. No math, straight forward, written in lawmen terms everyone can understand. Great book for those interested.
Back to top Go down
TRVJAG1
Sixth Nation
TRVJAG1

Nation Reputation : 6

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 4:05 am

Anyone suggested Harry Potter. Awesome series of books. To bad they stopped writing them,.
Back to top Go down
Meathead2004
Second Nation
Meathead2004

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 3:24 pm

thewordmadeflesh wrote:
true -- he can tell a gripping tale. I enjoyed DVC and A&D as adventure tales. I might just read the new one.

Finally started on it. Half way through. Very good so far, Brown is great at building up the suspense. I keep hearing the ending flat and disappointing though...we shall see.
Back to top Go down
Meathead2004
Second Nation
Meathead2004

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 3:51 pm

thewordmadeflesh wrote:
true -- he can tell a gripping tale. I enjoyed DVC and A&D as adventure tales. I might just read the new one.

Finally started on it. Half way through. Very good so far, Brown is great at building up the suspense. I keep hearing the ending flat and disappointing though...we shall see.

Yah. Fears have been realized... Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
eattheword

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 4:08 pm

His theology is pretty screwed up too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Book Recommendations

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Entertainment :: Random Chat :: Books, magazines, and comics-
Jump to: