The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

Book Recommendations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

Nation Reputation : 29

Book Recommendations - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 5:28 pm

When reading a Dan Brown book, it is important to keep in mind that a Dan Brown book is being read.
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
eattheword

Nation Reputation : 111

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 1:29 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
When reading a Dan Brown book, it is important to keep in mind that a Dan Brown book is being read.

lol! They should put stickers on the front covers: "WARNING! Contains Dan Brown. Facts liable to gross misrepresentation and distortion!"
Back to top Go down
NinjaBig
First Nation
First Nation
NinjaBig

Nation Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 5:52 pm

Steven Colbert: I Am America (And So Can You!)

Great book Cool
Back to top Go down
Eriktr0n
Fourth Nation
Eriktr0n

Nation Reputation : 5

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 6:41 pm

I suggest either "Choke" or "Haunted" by Chuck Palahniuk. I really like the way Palahniuk's style and both of these books were both extremely hard to put down.
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 7:17 pm

thewordmadeflesh wrote:

lol! They should put stickers on the front covers: "WARNING! Contains Dan Brown. Facts liable to gross misrepresentation and distortion!"
Or, an equivalent: "Dan Brown: The Fox News of Literature."
Back to top Go down
Meathead2004
Second Nation
Meathead2004

Nation Reputation : 1

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 9:57 am

thewordmadeflesh wrote:

Or, an equivalent: "Dan Brown: The Fox News of Literature."

Yeah, its good that all the other news networks stay on the straight and narrow. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 11:36 am

They don't. Fox is just by far the worst.
Back to top Go down
Meathead2004
Second Nation
Meathead2004

Nation Reputation : 1

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 12:14 pm

Water for Elephants - by Sara Gruen.

Read it. Fantastic book! One of the best I've read in a while.
Back to top Go down
iRideAPalmer
Seventh Nation
iRideAPalmer

Nation Reputation : 37

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 10:29 am

who wants to drive me to Barnes and Noble (since I can't drive myself due to the percocet) so i can buy some new books.
Back to top Go down
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Seyel

Nation Reputation : 82

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 10:53 am

What is it about?

IrideA, have you tried ebooks? I read quite a lot of them in the mobile phone and it looks just right. There is a program called MobiReader (free), you install it on the computer and on the mobile (you just have to check the version you need). Then you drag the ebook file you want into the Mobireader in your PC (PDF, Word, whatever), this converts them into some ebook file;then you select the files you want to copy into your mobile and select "send to mobile device" or something like that. This optimizes the file to be seen on a mobile screen, so you do not have to scroll left and right, just up and down. The program remembers which book you have opened, the page you are in, it shows a progression bar at the bottom in each of them so you know how far you are from finishing it, you can highlight, bookmark and make notes, etc. It is amazing considering that is free.
The size of the text is adequate, and the fact that you can have thousands of books in your mobile is a great thing. I usually put in there all the mandatory readings for uni, so I can read a bit on the tram or while I am having lunch in the center.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
mthrfckr1002
Fifth Nation
mthrfckr1002

Nation Reputation : 8

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 9:22 pm

Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln
By Doris Kearns Goodwin

i love this book one of my favorites
i read alot of history and biographys plus political science
yes im a nerd lol
Back to top Go down
TuxGirl
Seventh Nation
TuxGirl

Nation Reputation : 13

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 10:11 pm

Steven King - The Talisman.

This book is phenomenal. You get suspense, adventure, and 2 dimensions. What more can you ask for?
Back to top Go down
mthrfckr1002
Fifth Nation
mthrfckr1002

Nation Reputation : 8

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 10:21 pm

Steven King - The Talisman.

This book is phenomenal. You get suspense, adventure, and 2 dimensions. What more can you ask for?

politics or history lol
i scare easily btw Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down
iRideAPalmer
Seventh Nation
iRideAPalmer

Nation Reputation : 37

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 11:28 pm

I can't recommend books unless I know what people like to read... Also I judge books 95% on the cover the other 5% on which one is cheaper... I owe the library like $20 and I lost my library card. and since it is my neighbor's fault I owe $20... I am not paying it.
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
eattheword

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 1:43 am

I can't recommend books unless I know what people like to read...

Sure you can. Very Happy= :D Pick a book you really enjoyed and say why you enjoyed it. I've read books I would never have come across otherwise if it hadn't been for word-of-mouth recommendations, book reviews on the radio, etc.

Now then. For those who still haven't heeded my advice: Cloud of Sparrows (by Takashi Matsuoka). Read it! Now. Then read its sequel, Autumn Bridge, and you will experience a literary feast of the like never previously encountered. Absolutely sumptuous (and for the FPS fans in here it also has plenty of Samurai cutting off people's heads to satisfy the bloodlust).
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 3:56 am

I can't recommend books unless I know what people like to read...

Sure you can. Very Happy= :D Pick a book you really enjoyed and say why you enjoyed it. I've read books I would never have come across otherwise if it hadn't been for word-of-mouth recommendations, book reviews on the radio, etc.

Now then. For those who still haven't heeded my advice: Cloud of Sparrows (by Takashi Matsuoka). Read it! Now. Then read its sequel, Autumn Bridge, and you will experience a literary feast of the like never previously encountered. Absolutely sumptuous (and for the FPS fans in here it also has plenty of Samurai cutting off people's heads to satisfy the bloodlust).

ooooh Will do.

Currently reading through John Twelve Hawks trilogy of Fourth Realm. Really good, the first one "The Traveller", the second "The Dark River" and the final (Which I have yet to find over here) "The Golden City". The first two are excellent books and I could barely put them down at times.

Another author I reccomend is Ross O'Carroll-Kelly and his entire collection. I was laughing my ass off the whole way through the books. Hilarious and I had a real hard time putting them down as well. The genre is "Dick-Lit" basically a play on "Chick-Lit" it really is worth checking out if you can. More details [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
CobaltMonkey

Nation Reputation : 203

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 6:10 am

Well, I think I've recommended them elsewhere, but I'm gonna do it again.
The Discworld books by Terry Pratchett. Funny from beginning to end, and coupled with the fantasy setting I very much enjoy. I read one at a friend's urging and now have eight of the things with no intention of stopping until I get them all. Very Happy= :D
Here's the wiki on it, if anyone would like to give it a look see.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
Dolemitesooner
Fifth Nation
Dolemitesooner

Nation Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 12:58 pm

Has anyone ever read Good omens?
Back to top Go down
wolfwoodnyo
New in the Nation
wolfwoodnyo

Nation Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 5:24 pm

I was thinking about picking this up!

lets see the only good books that i've read recently are Chinese philosophy/art books. Mainly by Francois Jullien. They're really interesting if you're into that subject! I have a whole pile of books i've been meaning to read but just can't find inspiration or time silent
Back to top Go down
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Seyel

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 6:30 pm

I have the same problem Sad I have too many books on the "next books to read"- pile. I like Paul Auster's Trilogy of NY. I have "Brooklyn Follies" waiting for me in that pile. I also enjoy fantasy-humour, such as Terry Pratchet and Terry Brooks. Looking forward to read Shanara's series.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
eattheword

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 2:33 am

I tried Sword of Shanara in 1984 and felt it was just a (really badly written) knock-off of LOTR, even down to the same basic plot. I gave up after about 70 pages.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 3:38 am

I have the same problem Sad I have too many books on the "next books to read"- pile. I like Paul Auster's Trilogy of NY. I have "Brooklyn Follies" waiting for me in that pile. I also enjoy fantasy-humour, such as Terry Pratchet and Terry Brooks. Looking forward to read Shanara's series.

Have that. Really not all that great to be honest. I have that big giant book with all the books in it. Can post it onto you, save you buying it, but Eats right.

You want a good fantasy book I would recommend David Gemmell.

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.

Back to top Go down
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Seyel

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 4:33 am

Oh. Sad Thing is I have already bought it lol. One book with all the trilogy. I have not started it yet, I want to finish Brooklyn Follies first. Neutral I will def' look for that author you say first I think, any recommendation?

Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 4:48 am

His first book was Legend, Really epic. There is so many of them, you could go for the Drenai Series (Personal favourites are Legend, Waylander 1 & 2) or the Rigante series (Mirrors our own history in a way)

I would also recommend John Twelve Hawks, The Fourth Realm Trilogy, Starts with "The Traveller" "The Dark River" & "The Golden City" very good modern day fantasy book.

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Back to top Go down
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Seyel

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 5:09 am

Lmao O'Rly wrote:
His first book was Legend, Really epic. There is so many of them, you could go for the Drenai Series (Personal favourites are Legend, Waylander 1 & 2) or the Rigante series (Mirrors our own history in a way)

I would also recommend John Twelve Hawks, The Fourth Realm Trilogy, Starts with "The Traveller" "The Dark River" & "The Golden City" very good modern day fantasy book.

Oh, I've read John Twelve Hawks, I need to read the last one yet though, good call. Very Happy= :D I wonder who s/he is... has that mystery been solved?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Book Recommendations

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Entertainment :: Random Chat :: Books, magazines, and comics-
Jump to: