The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

Public Enemy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Raistlin
Eighth Nation
Raistlin

Nation Reputation : 67

Public Enemy Empty
PostSubject: Public Enemy   Public Enemy Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 8:51 am

This movie is based on the true story of John Dillenger. A well known crook from the 1930s. Starring Johnny Depp and Christian Bale as well as Rory Cochrane of CSI Miami fame, the movie makes a strong attempt at retelling the story based on fact. How close it followed real life I'm not sure.

Needless to say, I was expecting a little bit more. The story and plot moved along quite quickly and smoothly as well as rationally. At times, though even though the story etc was portrayed well the movie did seem kind of slow a time or two. The ending came up very quickly. Considering Dillenger I was expecting another classic getaway or for him to pick up on what was happening during the last few scenes but, you couuld see it coming and, I suppose - the writers, staying true to history, went with it.

Those points aside the movie recreates the 1930s amazingly well. The clothes, the dialogue and the sets were gorgeous and I really think this was a big highlight of the film. It was really cool to get a glimpse of the FBI in its formative days and seeing what started to set it apart from standard law enforcement.

Anyhow, the movie was alright and did have some bright spots. if you're interested in that era and don't mind a slow spot or two, go check it out Smile
Back to top Go down
PhillyPride88
Second Nation
PhillyPride88

Nation Reputation : 2

Public Enemy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Public Enemy   Public Enemy Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 12:33 pm

I liked the movie quite a bit. In fact, I loved that it ended how it did. Nothing about this movie shouts Hollywood in my mind. Sometimes there isn't always that big escape. The writers knew what they were doing too, adding in the train heist as a plot technique to make you believe that he was escaping the end.

I also enjoyed the lack of epic gunfights or things of that nature. Sure they had some shoot outs, but they developed the plot before going straight to a shoot out. This movie was all about the story, and I was drawn right into it.
Back to top Go down
Alucard1028
First Nation
First Nation
Alucard1028

Nation Reputation : 0

Public Enemy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Public Enemy   Public Enemy Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 2:44 pm

spoliers? lol
Back to top Go down
mynameesmorty
Fifth Nation
mynameesmorty

Nation Reputation : 13

Public Enemy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Public Enemy   Public Enemy Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 2:59 pm

I didnt read anything in case there was a spoiler, but I will say that I am a fan of Jonny Depp (of course the wife lusts him), so I will see this movie.
Back to top Go down
Raistlin
Eighth Nation
Raistlin

Nation Reputation : 67

Public Enemy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Public Enemy   Public Enemy Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 6:51 pm

Well, spoilers if you googled the actual guy hehe since it was based on a true story.
Back to top Go down
banded1
Tenth Nation
banded1

Nation Reputation : 59

Public Enemy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Public Enemy   Public Enemy Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 6:53 pm

i found it pretty good. a little long though is about my only complaint
Back to top Go down
Alucard1028
First Nation
First Nation
Alucard1028

Nation Reputation : 0

Public Enemy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Public Enemy   Public Enemy Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 2:43 pm

lol from Philly's description....i was thinking Donnie Brasco.

kinda spoiled a bit for me anyway.... lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Public Enemy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Public Enemy   Public Enemy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Public Enemy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Entertainment :: Random Chat :: Television and Movies-
Jump to: