The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

Mafia Wars. Technically a game.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
CobaltMonkey

Nation Reputation : 203

Mafia Wars. Technically a game. Empty
PostSubject: Mafia Wars. Technically a game.   Mafia Wars. Technically a game. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 12:10 am

Hey there all you Myspacers and Facebookers.
Here is a thread dedicated to your obsession, Mafia Wars. (Though I imagine the same strategies could work for most Zynga games.) This will be a place to discuss strategy, likes and dislikes, or whatever. I'm starting with a short "how to" tutorial. Everyone feel free to add in your own advice, or if you can prove me wrong on something, then go right ahead. Let all your Mafianess out and enjoy the topic.
I'll open this thread with just a few items.
1. A disclaimer. I'm still in the learning stages so my advice may not hold in the higher levels. Also, my strategy may not work for you. I'm playing a Mogul character, one of the three types each with its own advantage.
2. A link. To the Mafia Wars forum. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
3. A recommendation of the Mafioso Training Grounds in said forum. Lots of good stuff that helped me get started.

Without further ado, my mini guide!

Anyone who has actually played the game knows the very basic stuff. What Energy, Stamina, HP, Exp, etc are, so I'll skip over that part mostly. You need Experience to level your character. It can be obtained through Jobs, Fights, Robbing, or using the Hitlist. For my character, the best way to get experience it through doing Jobs. That means I need more Energy, so I just dumped all the Stat points I got from leveling/mastering jobs into my Energy Stat until it hit 300. So far this has given me plenty of energy to do the Jobs, though it is starting to slow down now that I've hit 70. HOWEVER! Putting all my points into Energy left me quite open to attack. I had trouble winning Fights, both ones I chose and ones I endured. If you go this route, then prepare for a whoopin'.
Job Explanation:The Mobster's Daily Grind
There are several of these within each mission tier (A tier in this case is Street Thug, Associate, etc) Jobs are the tasks your character must complete to get items, collections, exp, etc. Each one has a certain energy requirement, and gives out an amount of Exp. The ones with a little yellow tag by their name also have the chance to Loot a specific item. Example, The first tier's Beat Up A Rival Gangster Mission has the chance every time you do it to find a .22 Pistol. To find out what each tagged mission's Loot is, just hold the mouse over the tag and it'll tell you. Every Job also has the chance to find a piece of Loot that is specific to that mission tier.
Thinking This is getting a bit jumbled so let me do this as a walkthrough of a person mastering the first tier, Street Thug.
Lets say I wanted to start out by mastering one Job. I look for the least energy expensive Job, Mugging. I click "Do Job". Now I have used 1 energy, but gained 1 experience and a percentage of mastery for this job. In addition, I have found a Collection item, the 10 of Diamonds playing card , but we'll get to that in a moment. The percentage of mastery goes up every time you do a Job. When it hits 100%, the skill is mastered for that level. So I keep on clicking on Do Job again and again until it's mastered to Level 1. I proceed down the list and eventually master every Job to level 1. I have now unlocked level 2 mastery. Now I can begin the process again until I unlock and master level 3 (the final level), all the while getting exp, loot, and collection items. And 1 Stat point to use every time I master a Job to a new level. ( Use these on the Profile page to raise your stats. Woo!) In addition, when you master all Jobs in a tier to Level 3, you're given a bonus item that improves you character permanently. For the Street Thug tier, that bonus is the Pistol Bayonet which gives me a bonus of +4% damage I deal in Fights.
Okay, so I've mastered the whole tier, what's left? A Boss Fight! For Street Thugs, it's Confront Giancarlo Morillo. To start with, look at the Requires: section to the right of the picture. It tells you how many Mafia members and items you need, as well as how much energy the fight costs. For this you need one .45 Pistol, one Crowbar, and at least two Mafia members (including you). If you have all that, click FIGHT next to it. Now you and the boss will deal damage to each other every turn until A)one of you dies, or B) you run away. While doing Jobs you're sure to have found several items that can help you here. Medkits restore your health, Shanks deal a little damage without using a turn, Stunguns let you get a free attack, and Getaway cars let you flee without cost if the fight's looking bad. Be careful, though. These are Consumable items. That means that (unlike Weapons, Armor, and Vehicles which are yours forever once you buy or find them), these will vanish after you use them. Assuming I won the Boss fight, I would get a large amount of Exp and Cash.
*Note: Beating the Boss is not required to master a tier.
Loot, Collections, Shops and Boosts: If you can't buy it, find it.
Loot is Weapons, Armor, and Vehicles found during Jobs. Most of them can't be bought.
Shops, (found under the Inventory tab) allow you to use the money you get from Jobs and Fights to purchase Weapons, Armor, and Vehicles that are used by your Mafia when you fight others. (Fully explained in the Fights section.) In addition to the item's cost, most things come with an Upkeep cost. That means you have to pay to keep using the item (to keep it in good working condition). This cost is automatically deducted from your income. If you don't have enough to pay for it, you can't use that item in a fight.
Boosts, are one time use items that are automatically used when something triggers them. Example, one you can buy Extra Pair of Eyes, adds +3 to your defense stat when you are attacked, but after the next time someone attacks you it's gone. These can help, but are often overpriced.
Collections, are very good things. Let's click on the Inventory tab, the click Collections and Vault. Here we see your wishlist, for telling your friends what you're looking for, and then all the collections. The first of which is the Street Thug Job tier's Diamond Flush collection. Like all collections, it has 7 different items you can find during your Jobs for that tier. If you can find one of everything in that tier, then click the Vault *RWotD*Congrats! You found the Random word of the day!!*RWotD* next to it and you can get another permanent improvement to your character. For this one, it's a free +1 to your Energy stat. Higher tier Collections get you higher bonuses. If you're lucky enough to get a second set of the same collection, you can Vault it to get a free Boost. Don't forget to check your friends' wishlists, too. If you have something you don't need and a friend does need, then toss it their way with the Gift option, also in the Inventory tab. You scratch their back, and they'll scratch yours.
Fights:It's not who you know, it's how many.
This section's subtitle says it all. The size of your mafia plays as important a roll in fights as your stats do, if not more.
First up for fights, the how to. Just click the Fight tab, and you'll be showed a list of people you can fight along with how many people are in each person's mafia. Pick out a target and click the Attack *RWotD*Congrats! You found the Random word of the day!!*RWotD* next to their name and mafia.
Now your mafia will go against theirs. But here's the kicker: You mafia's stats and weapons don't count for anything.
They'll show up to help you fight, but you have to provide the cars, armor, and weapons. The first member shows up, grabs the best of each of those you have, and then goes to fight. The next grabs the next best stuff, then goes to fight, etc. Until you run out of items or mafia.
Now, how is the success of an attack determined? Firstly, by your Attack stat. Then, your used items total attack power is added on. Each item has it's own Attack and Defense stats.
Example: Don Joe has an attack stat of 10 and brings a gun with 5 attack, an armor with 5 attack, and a car with 10 attack. All those are added up for a total attack strength of 30. Let's say Don Joe has only one friend, Don Glenn. Don Glenn comes to help, grabs a gun with 5 attack, an armor with 3, and a car with 5 for a total of 13. (Glenn's attack stat is not used) Add that with Joe's attack of 30 to get 43 attack total.
Let's say Don Joe is attacking Don Cleveland who has a Defense stat of 15. Cleveland grabs his best Weapon, Armor, and Car, which have defenses of 1, 1, and 3 for a total of 5. Added to his Defense stat it totals 20. Don Cleveland has only one friend too, Don Peter. Pete comes over, grab the next best stuff Cleveland's got that he didn't use and adds another 1,1, and 3 to the total 20 for a grand total of 25 Defense.
Finally, the two total stats are compared. 43 is greater than 25 so Don Joe wins the fight. You deal damage to your opponent and gain Exp and Money. The damage dealt to your opponent, as well as the damage you receive, is a random number from 1- 27, I think. Sometimes your friends will have added effects on the fight. Examples include doubling your exp, finding loot, and increasing your money received. Or if you lose the fight, they might halve the damage you take or the money you lose. (Loot found in fights appears from nowhere and is not taken from your enemy's items, fyi.) Now, what does that damage you took/dealt have to do with anything? It's subtracted from your (and your enemy's) Health. If your health goes below 20 then you are "Iced" and cannot attack or be attacked until you heal enough to be above 20 health. However, if your Health is reduced to 0 then you have been "Snuffed" and lose 6 experience points! Try not to let that happen. You can refill your health by clicking the Hospital *RWotD*Congrats! You found the Random word of the day!!*RWotD* that appears under your health at the top of the screen when you take damage. There you can pay to get healed, but only once every 45 seconds.
Promoting Your Mafia: It's lonely at the top. Bring friends.
The following is a Cut and Paste from the help icon on the game itself:
"Assign your best mafia members to positions within your mafia. Each position has a unique bonus which can be greater depending on who gets promoted to that position.
Mastermind: Choose a member with many jobs completed to promote to Mastermind to get more experience points from doing jobs. Your Mastermind gains a small chance of gaining 50% more experience when performing jobs.
Wheelman: Choose a member with the Fearless character type and a high level to promote to Wheelman to get a reduced energy cost for jobs. Your Wheelman gains a small chance to perform jobs for no energy.
*RWotD*Congrats! You found the Random word of the day!!*RWotD* Man: Choose a member with the Maniac character type and a high level to promote to *RWotD*Congrats! You found the Random word of the day!!*RWotD* Man to get an Attack bonus. Your *RWotD*Congrats! You found the Random word of the day!!*RWotD* Man gains a small chance to always win fights they initiate.
Bodyguard: Choose a member with many fights won to promote to Bodyguard to get a Defense bonus. Your Bodyguard gains a small chance to always win fights when they are attacked.
Safecracker: Choose a member with many successful heists to promote to Safecracker to get more money from fighting and robbing. Your Safecracker gains a small chance to gain double the money when fighting or robbing.
Bagman: Choose a member with the Mogul character type and a high level to promote to Bagman to get more money from jobs. Your Bagman gains a small chance to gain double the money when performing jobs."
The first effect listed is what you get, the second is what your friend gets when you promote them to a position. For example, I set Toxxy as my Mastermind and I get 4% more exp from every Job I do. And for being my Mastermind, Toxxy gets a small (5%) chance to get 50% more exp from any Job she does.
The short of it is that you should promote the person that gives you the highest bonus in each area. Keep in mind that some positions require a certain character type. For example, only a Fearless character can be a Wheelman.
Also, each member can only hold one position at a time.
The Godfather: Offers you can feel free to refuse.
Coming Soon.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by CobaltMonkey on Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Mafia Wars. Technically a game.   Mafia Wars. Technically a game. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 12:11 am

Reserved. This might be a big mini guide. lol

Back to top Go down
Josey__Wales
Third Nation
Josey__Wales

Nation Reputation : 4

PostSubject: Re: Mafia Wars. Technically a game.   Mafia Wars. Technically a game. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 12:16 am

My woman plays this game and others like it. Don't know what level she is but I think its pretty high. She also plays some other vampire, farm and knight game. I just can't get into it.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Mafia Wars. Technically a game.   Mafia Wars. Technically a game. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 12:32 am

Yeah, they're not for everyone. Basically a number crunching game.
It's funny. I hate math, but find this game highly addictive. Of course, I'm also an RPG enthusiast who likes to max stats when possible. Plenty of math there too. Maybe it's just transference? Thinking

Back to top Go down
Josey__Wales
Third Nation
Josey__Wales

Nation Reputation : 4

PostSubject: Re: Mafia Wars. Technically a game.   Mafia Wars. Technically a game. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 12:39 am

I understand. I myself was entranced by it for a short while. My interest waned when I looked at the games that I already had that were so much more entertaining to me. My girl loves numbers so I guess it suits her just fine. I can't say anything because just like music, there's games that I like where alot of people would say " really....you like that crap?"

To each his own.
Back to top Go down
Toxxy
Ninth Nation
Toxxy

Nation Reputation : 23

PostSubject: Re: Mafia Wars. Technically a game.   Mafia Wars. Technically a game. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 5:33 am

Cool
Most EXXCCCCCELLENT Don Cobalt!
Plus one
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Mafia Wars. Technically a game.   Mafia Wars. Technically a game. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 12:08 pm

Why, thank you, Ms. Toxxy.
Remember, anyone with any specific questions, feel free to ask them. I'll do my best to answer.

Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Mafia Wars. Technically a game.   Mafia Wars. Technically a game. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 2:59 am

OP updated. Fights section done.
More on the way.

Back to top Go down
Toxxy
Ninth Nation
Toxxy

PostSubject: Re: Mafia Wars. Technically a game.   Mafia Wars. Technically a game. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 3:43 am

Cool
*runs to fight*
sometimes is says attack again, sometimes it doesn't, still attack tho until I have iced them...
yup cold blooded killa!
*giggles in Corsican accent*
Cool
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Mafia Wars. Technically a game.   Mafia Wars. Technically a game. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 4:33 am

That is a way to guarantee that you win, but that's also a good way to get put on the Hitlist and get yourself Snuffed. As a Mogul type, I have way too much money most of the time so I won't hesitate to drop $2 Million on someone who cost me 6 experience. Turnabout is fair play. Plus, you get less Exp for each successive attack on the same opponent. If you switch it up, you can get more exp, but you risk losing against more people you haven't fought before.
My typical pattern is to attack twice. Your starting stamina is three, and completing one collection got me +1 to that so I can split my attacks between two people evenly. I might get 3 or 4 exp off the first attack, then 1 or 2 off the second. Same with the second player. This way I get on average 8-12 total exp (assuming I win against both opponents) instead of attacking one guy 4 times and getting 4, 1, 1, 1. And without too much risk of drawing fire and losing it all.
My advice on who to attack: People with mafias at or below your mafia's number. Be a bit of a bully, after all you are supposed to be a hardened criminal.

OH. Something I forgot to put in the Fights section. You can only bring up to your level in mafia members with you on a fight or robbery (up to a maximum of 501). You may put 5000 people in your mafia, but if your level 7 then only 7 of them can come along.

EDIT: Well, carp. Mafia Wars waited til today to prove me wrong on one point. Looks like the Exp you get per fight is randomized between 1 and 3.
Still stand by the two and two method, though.

Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Mafia Wars. Technically a game.   Mafia Wars. Technically a game. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 2:21 am

OP updated.
Also, the post above this one has been edited.
Also also, the thread title is blue now. Why? Because I can.

Back to top Go down
Toxxy
Ninth Nation
Toxxy

PostSubject: Re: Mafia Wars. Technically a game.   Mafia Wars. Technically a game. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 5:24 pm

now then I want to be capo!!!!
that is all
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Mafia Wars. Technically a game.   Mafia Wars. Technically a game. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 5:38 pm

Oh, yeah. I was supposed to be writing a guide for this wasn't I? Embarassed I let it get lost in the shuffle. I'll get back to it soon. Promise.

Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Mafia Wars. Technically a game.   Mafia Wars. Technically a game. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 10:58 pm

^I'm bad at keeping promises. Embarassed
I started out writing this for Toxxy who is now way beyond me in level. Yeah, I don't think she needs it. lol
However, if anyone actually does get interested in this, then I'll be glad to pick back up on it.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mafia Wars. Technically a game.   Mafia Wars. Technically a game. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mafia Wars. Technically a game.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Gaming HeadQuarters :: Mobile and Social Games-
Jump to: