The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

PS3 Tech support

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Seyel

Nation Reputation : 82

PS3 Tech support - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PS3 Tech support   PS3 Tech support - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 5:57 am

Brilliant post, K. Full of helpful info.
I am one of those who had a YRoD last year too. Right in the middle of Dragon Age with two walkthroughs, none of them finished. We managed to get the PS3 to work for about 5 extra minutes and we backed up some files. We couldn't get those playthroughs back, though Sad

Quick questions:

- Do you use the backup facility of the PS3 to back it up?
- Do you always do a full backup?
- Can I just ignore music files and videos and only back up the games?
- Could you do the back up in a disc that has many other files or does it need to be empty?
- Do you need to create a folder with specific names to do this?
- In the event the PS3 fails... how do you put back your back up?
- What's the minimum size you might need to back up? Could I use a 4GB SD card (for example) through a USB card reader?
- ... I think I should stop the questions... Smile

THANKS!!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
kratosXS
Sixth Nation
kratosXS

Nation Reputation : 74

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Tech support   PS3 Tech support - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 2:22 pm

Thanks Seyel. I'll try to answer those questions as best I can.

Do you use the backup facility of the PS3 to back it up?

Yeah. Once you have connected your external drive to the PS3 via USB, go to Settings> System settings>Backup Utility. Once you enter Backup Utility, there are three options available:

Back up

Restore

Delete Back up data.

Once you have formatted your external hard drive, you can open the Back up option. Here you will be told that the trophies will not be backed up, and that you will need to sync them with the server. You will be asked do you want to continue? Click yes.

You will then be asked do you want to back up data on the hard disk to other storage media. Again click yes. You will then be asked to select the destination. The type of hard drive you have installed will then be displayed, along with the available space remaining on it. Mine says USB device (Ext HDD) Free Space 1378 GB.

Do you always do a full backup?

I always do a full backup. When I back up to the external drive, it backs up everything that is currently on the internal drive of the PS3.

Can I just ignore music files and videos and only back up the games?

Not that I am aware. There isn’t a specific save for videos and games, but all the contents of the internal hard drive seem to get backed up to the external drive together.

Could you do the back up in a disc that has many other files or does it need to be empty?

No, the external hard drive doesn’t need to be empty. All that is needed is sufficient space on the drive for the files you wish to back up to be put there. In fact, when I back up I always leave the file from my previous back up on the external hard drive until the new session is complete. In this way I will still have my older files should there be a power failure during the backing up process. I used to delete older files before I backed up new files, until I realised if there was a power failure, I would lose both my previous back up and the ones I was currently doing. That would also result in losing all data. So that’s an important aspect that I should have mentioned also. Always back up your new files before deleting old ones, or you will be left with nothing.

Do you need to create a folder with specific names to do this?

You don’t need to create a file name as the PS3 assigns a name for the file. This is a series of numbers that includes the year the file was created. So I have had files like 2011 012 920 50. I usually write down the file number on a piece of paper and keep it in a safe place. This is because as I don’t delete the old file until after the new one is created, it could get confusing which is the one I wish to keep. I’d probably delete the new one instead. Writing it down helps when you are later deleting the old file.

When you are deleting, you will be asked which file you wish to delete. It’s useful to have the old file written down, so that you know you are deleting the correct one.

In the event the PS3 fails... how do you put back your back up?

When you want to restore the files you have previously backed up onto your new PS3, you go once again to the back up utility. But instead of going to the first option, back up, you go to the second option Restore. This will transfer all the data on your external hard drive that you had previously on your old console onto your new one, and you will be able to continue on from where you left off in the game.

What's the minimum size you might need to back up? Could I use a 4GB SD card (for example) through a USB card reader?

In theory you can use any external hard drive so long as it’s capacity is greater than the combined total of your game saves. On the system information , it tells me that I have 506GB free space out of 596GB. That means that all my files account for 90 Gb. I only have about three Assassin's Creed videos, and a couple of photos of dogs, besides my game saves. This means that the minimum space I need on an external hard drive to do a back up is 90 Gb. I ran out of space on my old PS3, but that only had a 70 gig capacity.

Something like 4GB card could be used to save game files as long as the files don’t exceed the capacity of the flash drive. On the back of each game the developers state the minimum hdd space required to install the game. However, as you get further and further into a game, and if multiplayer is offered, that figure will increase. I read on some forum that 6.74 GB was required for COD: Black Ops. I don't know about that as I haven't played the game myself.
Back to top Go down
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Seyel

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Tech support   PS3 Tech support - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 4:27 pm

Thank you very much again, great posts. I will do this shortly then, I need to see if my disc is FAT32 or not.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Wadey
Ninth Nation
Wadey

Nation Reputation : 43

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Tech support   PS3 Tech support - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 8:28 pm

ok now it seems that i can only get 1 red bar even playing in Australia wtf.
looked at my router and it says

ADSL. 256 / 1536 kbps
i uesd to be able to get green bar games consistently but no longer
is this enough to get Blobs game ??i all so have trouble watching
any youtube vids i have to let them buffer for 3-4 mins to be able to watch them

side note i have told the wife if we can not fix/get better interwebz i am selling the house
for real
Back to top Go down
Dingo
Ninth Nation
Dingo

Nation Reputation : 42

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Tech support   PS3 Tech support - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 8:34 pm

Wadey have you tried reseting your modem.
Back to top Go down
Wadey
Ninth Nation
Wadey

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Tech support   PS3 Tech support - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 8:54 pm

yep daily almost.
whats your connection like Dingo?
Back to top Go down
Dingo
Ninth Nation
Dingo

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Tech support   PS3 Tech support - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 9:04 pm

Downstream (Kbps): 2198
Upstream (Kbps): 445

Yours WiFi? A friend plays WiFi and even though he 30kms away from me he will have red bar.

Another issue it could be is your modem might be on its way out BUT it depends on what make.

Ring up your provider and complain about it. If its Telstra goodluck on them doing anything

If your running a non WiFi modem you might also have to check your phoneline as me had issues with the phoneline cable connecting to me house as it got weathered and water got into it making the line very static and the net was very slow and sometimes didn't connect at all.

Hope any of helped
Back to top Go down
Wadey
Ninth Nation
Wadey

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Tech support   PS3 Tech support - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 9:14 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Downstream (Kbps): 2198
Upstream (Kbps): 445

Yours WiFi? A friend plays WiFi and even though he 30kms away from me he will have red bar.

Another issue it could be is your modem might be on its way out BUT it depends on what make.

Ring up your provider and complain about it. If its Telstra goodluck on them doing anything

If your running a non WiFi modem you might also have to check your phoneline as me had issues with the phoneline cable connecting to me house as it got weathered and water got into it making the line very static and the net was very slow and sometimes didn't connect at all.

Hope any of helped

i stopped using wifi i all ways use cable now

my modem is fine bought a new on 4 months ago it a billion

my provider is TPG

whos your provider Dingo
Back to top Go down
Dingo
Ninth Nation
Dingo

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Tech support   PS3 Tech support - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 9:24 pm

Craptus (Optus) Damn animals don't know how to keep the lines working.
Back to top Go down
Wadey
Ninth Nation
Wadey

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Tech support   PS3 Tech support - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 3:53 am

well made a few calls and seems i can get 8000 down & 1000up
with TPG and Big pond .
so i will give TPG ago first since i will not be locked in a contract .
Than if that goes to crap then i will go with Big pond but i will have
to be in a 24 month contract .
cheers
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Tech support   PS3 Tech support - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 5:51 am

(o.O) Make sure to read the print of the contract or even better get a lawyer to look it over and translate so at least you'll know how much of an arse raping you'll be getting.
I like to be prepared when it comes to services.

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Wadey
Ninth Nation
Wadey

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Tech support   PS3 Tech support - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 6:13 am

well if i can go with TPG there is no contract so i can leave with no hassles
Back to top Go down
Kilmory
Sixth Nation
Kilmory

Nation Reputation : 38

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Tech support   PS3 Tech support - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 12:35 pm

Don't you just hate it when you fire up the PS3 for a couple of quick games and it won't let you play until you have updated the worlds biggest software update? Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

Nation Reputation : 63

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Tech support   PS3 Tech support - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 2:33 pm

Whats the best way for me to capture PS3 games so I can upload them? I don't have a laptop only a crappy netbook with a small ssd drive and windows xp.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
CobaltMonkey

Nation Reputation : 203

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Tech support   PS3 Tech support - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 2:51 pm

Quote :
Whats the best way for me to capture PS3 games

Poke'ball.
Pro Tip: Mashing A won't actually do anything. Save your thumbs.

Back to top Go down
eattheword
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
eattheword

Nation Reputation : 111

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Tech support   PS3 Tech support - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 3:01 pm

If you don't have a capture card or a HD recorder then use a video camera. Put it on a tripod and point it at the screen.
Back to top Go down
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Tech support   PS3 Tech support - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 3:06 pm

Quote :
Whats the best way for me to capture PS3 games

Poke'ball.
Pro Tip: Mashing A won't actually do anything. Save your thumbs.

Still remembering that post eh, Cobalt. I swear I was kidding. Now help a guy out man! I promise you will get a lot of laughs watching me get killed many time over.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
CobaltMonkey

Nation Reputation : 203

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Tech support   PS3 Tech support - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 3:19 pm

See, now I'm paranoid because I don't remember any post. o.0

I'd love to help, but I'm afraid I'm not very tech savvy. Best I can do is quote your request onto this new page my silliness pushed it to.

Whats the best way for me to capture PS3 games so I can upload them? I don't have a laptop only a crappy netbook with a small ssd drive and windows xp.

Back to top Go down
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Seyel

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Tech support   PS3 Tech support - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 3:30 pm

We've used a capture card in the past, you can get them at decent prices now as long as you are not aiming for HD. We have a Pinnacle Dazzle Platinum, currently down to £70 ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ) . It comes with basic software too, so quite easy to record, edit and publish. However, that software has to run on your netbook so it all depends of your specs. Maybe you invest in the capture card and after that the netbook cannot convert the video. If so, maybe your best bet is to do what eattheword has suggested, record it with a videocamera then use the netbook to convert the format and upload it to Youtube. Shrug

Back to top Go down
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Tech support   PS3 Tech support - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 3:57 pm

See, now I'm paranoid because I don't remember any post. o.0

I'd love to help, but I'm afraid I'm not very tech savvy. Best I can do is quote your request onto this new page my silliness pushed it to.

Was there really a post ??... or am I going all "Inception" on you all? Thanks for the Bump!
Back to top Go down
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Tech support   PS3 Tech support - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 4:03 pm

We've used a capture card in the past, you can get them at decent prices now as long as you are not aiming for HD. We have a Pinnacle Dazzle Platinum, currently down to £70 ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ) . It comes with basic software too, so quite easy to record, edit and publish. However, that software has to run on your netbook so it all depends of your specs. Maybe you invest in the capture card and after that the netbook cannot convert the video. If so, maybe your best bet is to do what eattheword has suggested, record it with a videocamera then use the netbook to convert the format and upload it to Youtube. Shrug

Hmmm, I have an older Dazzle I used to convert a friends old analog camcorder tapes to CD I think its just RCA connects but maybe it will work on my netbook. "Goes and finds big box full of cables he hasn't touched in years that wife keeps trying to throw away" If not I guess I'll video record it like you suggest. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Tech support   PS3 Tech support - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 12:05 pm

PSN is currently down. Good thing we got the update yesterday to improve network stability.

From PSN Twitter:
"We’re aware that PSN is currently unavailable and working with the technicians to find out when it will be restored. Apologies."

Latest tweet

"Current indications are that we'll be restoring PlayStation Network services in approx. two hours. We appreciate your patience."

PSN back up as of 3:00 pm Mountain standard time
Back to top Go down
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Seyel

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Tech support   PS3 Tech support - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 3:10 am

Thanks for the heads up rrwatch!
Smile

Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Tech support   PS3 Tech support - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 4:10 am

PSN is currently down. Good thing we got the update yesterday to improve network stability.

LOL!

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

Back to top Go down
wolf_cub61
Fifth Nation
wolf_cub61

Nation Reputation : 2

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Tech support   PS3 Tech support - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 7:27 am

Hey guys.
Recently got an email from a company called MUBI. Apparently Ive subscribed to them or something, which would be fine, except I havent been near my playstation in about 2 months.
Is this just spam or should I be worried about my account being used??

P.S. My email address is linked to my dads PSN as well, but it said wolf_cub61 in the email title.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Tech support   PS3 Tech support - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PS3 Tech support
Page 10 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Gaming HeadQuarters :: Hardware and General Discussion-
Jump to: