Sixth Nation Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sixth Nation Gaming

Home Base of the Sixth Nation Community

Share | 

Dark Souls

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

Nation Reputation : 211

Dark Souls Empty
PostSubject: Dark Souls   Dark Souls EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 6:09 pm

On the tail of the game's announcement, here's a shiny trailer.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

By the looks of this they've ramped everything up a bit. The action, the graphic, the atmosphere.
I cannot wait to get hold of this one.
bounce
Quote :
* The difficulty has been increased greatly over Demon's Souls.
* Dark Souls shares the same themes as Demon's Souls: learning from mistakes and the joy of discovery.
* There's no connection with Demon's Souls in terms of story or world.
* As with Demon's Souls, the basic gameplay is based off classic RPGs -- things like character creation, obtaining weapons and items, leveling up, etc.
* The biggest change, according to Hidetaka, is in the area of exploration. The action battle component is an important element, but on top of this, exploration of a large, seamlessly connected field is an important element. You walk to areas that you can see far off in the distance.
* All the maps are connected, rather than having you move to each area from a shrine. This time, you head off on a journey from a large base of operations, and find smaller bases along the way as you progress further and deeper into your adventure.
* There are far more areas with complex land formations of varying height.
* The goal in character development is to get rid of elements that may hinder freedom of play style. This is why there's no job concept during initial character creation.
* Weapons have a great variety of motions and special capabilities, and there are a great number of magic and item types. This will allow players to play in their own style.
* Regarding network play, Hidetaka said that he can't share too many details, but the game will have cooperative and competitive multiplayer elements. You'll be able to call upon people to help you out when you're stuck.
* The game will also have indirect online elements like the original -- seeing the images of other players, messages from the dead, and so-forth. The game will not have its own servers this time, though, so elements like Soul Tendency from the original will not be here.
* There are some other online elements that will be detailed in future updates.

Dark Souls will be released in Japan in 2011. The game's overseas release on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 is being handled by Namco Bandai. Japan will get just the PlayStation 3 version, published by From itself.

Last edited by CobaltMonkey on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wolf_cub61
Fifth Nation
wolf_cub61

Nation Reputation : 2

Dark Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 1:48 am

I want it I want it I want it I want it!!!!!!!

Or maybe I should finish demon souls first Pikachu

You think it's possible for them to make the combat more perfect than it is??
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

Dark Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 3:41 am

Yes, but I'm not sure how.

*Edited the other details from the Demon's Souls thread into the OP here.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

Dark Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 1:34 am

I am now terrified of wolves. pale
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

Dark Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 12:28 pm

Getting more and more interesting. Very Happy= :D

Quote :
Details have been slowly trickling out about From Software's upcoming, "Dark Souls," a spiritual successor to 2009's "Demon's Souls." No one is expecting the ride to get any easier after the last painfully difficult -- and comparatively rewarding -- game, but many questions have been asked about how the new game's online component will follow up on its predecessor's message-giving system and light co-op/competitive elements. We have some new answers for you today, compliments of the game's director, Hidetaka Miyazaki, speaking in a new interview featured in the latest Edge.

The previous game's message system will return, though now players will be encouraged to hinder as well as help. "It's how you play with other people's minds, how you help or trick other people. It is another tool that has evolved in 'Dark Souls' -- it's not necessarily about how skilled you are, but how smart you are," Miyazaki said.

While he doesn't delve into detail on how fellow players might be tricked, Miyazaki does reveal a potentially useful new method for providing aid. Players will be able to make use of "the beacon-fire system," lighting a special fire that others can see in their own game worlds. More than just places to rest, these beacon-fire locations can actually be set up to offer recovery items and message of advice to all comers.

In "Demon's Souls" players were always technically online with their games, though this manifested less as multiple players within one game and more as the notes left scattered around the world. The feature returns in "Dark Souls," though the key difference this time is that players will be connected with others in their general geographical area rather than through a server.

"Dark Souls" will also bring back player vs. player combat, though it is worked more seamlessly into the structure of the game this time around. Those weaker players who find themselves the unfortunate targets of a more powerful competitor will have the ability to transform themselves into an inanimate objecct, such as a broom or a barrel. The game will also create situations that demand paying a visit to another player's world.

"For example," Miyazaki said, "One player may be tasked with hunting down a certain item that another has in his or her possession. There will be several quests or missions in the game like that. It's usually posed a bit like a competitive version of 'Lord of the Rings' in which one player has the ring and the other characters must find him, attack him and attempt to claim the ring for themselves."
Back to top Go down
SpongeBobNoPants
Loyalist
Loyalist
SpongeBobNoPants

Nation Reputation : 22

Dark Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 3:24 pm

Nice.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

Dark Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 12:13 pm

New Info.
Quote :
This week’s issue of Dengeki has new details on Dark Souls, the upcoming spiritual successor to the hit PlayStation 3 role-playing game Demon’s Souls. They interview director Hidetaka Miyazaki, who sheds light on development, story, a new system, game design, and more.

Development on Dark Souls is nearing its final stage, according to Miyazaki. From Software has received plenty of fan feedback from players of the first game, and he’s very excited to be working on a game so eagerly expected by so many. Though, he does feel under a lot of pressure.

Since its announcement, we’ve only seen a trickle or two of updates. Miyazaki told the magazine that this is a very difficult game to market and that they’re trying to do it properly. Since Dark Souls is a game meant to surprise the player, they’re trying to keep a lot of things under wraps. At the same time, he doesn’t want fans to feel as if they’re not communicating, so he’s trying to find a balance between the two.

On story, Miyazaki said that even though Dark Souls has a plot, it is not driven by it. The main character is an undying hero who will come back to life no matter how many times he’s killed. He’s been cast out of regular society.

A new system, the Oath system, has been revealed. This allows players to make an oath to a person regarding something on their journey. Making an oath determines the player’s position on a certain topic, impacting interactions with other players online. Depending on the oaths players choose to make, players can end up allies or enemies with another player.

As Dark Souls is no doubt a difficult game, Miyazaki spoke a bit on world design and where to place healing items. They want to make sure they put these items in the right places so the player has to search a little to find them. That way, the player gets a genuine feeling of satisfaction after they’re found. Though, for those who’re completely stuck, the Campfire system will be used in part to create healing items.

Speaking of hard, Miyazaki feels that the game’s intense difficulty is good because it adds the value of challenge to a game.It gives the player opportunity to discover, learn and overcome their mistakes, making for a more satisfactory game. He wants Dark Souls to be considered an “intriguing game” by players.

While we’ve heard a lot on Dark Souls already, Miyazaki says that the information we know of is only about one-fifth of the total amount of details they plan on revealing before the game’s release.
bounce
Back to top Go down
Tom Brady's Hair
First Nation
First Nation
Tom Brady's Hair

Nation Reputation : 0

Dark Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 1:23 pm

I love Demon Souls but by my own fault I do not like difficult games. I really wish they had an easy mode for us wimps who want to just relax and enjoy the atmosphere and combat. I understand the reasoning for how it is, but why not add another way to play? Keep the way it is as default but give ups sissy mode or something. I will skip this brilliant game due to my inability to finish real difficult games.
Back to top Go down
jadedoblivion
Seventh Nation
jadedoblivion

Nation Reputation : 19

Dark Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 1:39 pm

cant wait for this to come out XD
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

Dark Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 1:56 pm

Tom Brady's Hair wrote:
I will skip this brilliant game due to my inability to finish real difficult games.
The thing is, if Demon's Souls was without it's difficulty (even in part) then it wouldn't be brilliant. Its difficulty is what makes it what it is.
Back to top Go down
Tom Brady's Hair
First Nation
First Nation
Tom Brady's Hair

Nation Reputation : 0

Dark Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 2:04 pm

CobaltMonkey wrote:
Tom Brady's Hair wrote:
I will skip this brilliant game due to my inability to finish real difficult games.
The thing is, if Demon's Souls was without it's difficulty (even in part) then it wouldn't be brilliant. Its difficulty is what makes it what it is.

Thats what I disagree with. They can keep that difficulty for you all and it will still be brilliant, but the fighting and atmosphere is what I loved. No checkpoints and hardly any health frustrated me. I dont want to redo a whole level if I die at the end of one. I would buy this in a heartbeat if it gave me an easy option.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

Dark Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 2:19 pm

We all take different things from the games we play, and that's fine.
However, it this specific instance, I don't think they could give an easy option. DS sold based almost entirely on word of mouth about its difficulty. To make that difficulty an option would be to remove a huge part of the game's identity.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

Dark Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls EmptyTue May 10, 2011 5:07 pm

New trailer.

So many ways to die...

I can't wait.
bounce
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

Dark Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls EmptyWed May 11, 2011 4:59 am

...There is gonna be a paper published by a psychiatric doctor about gamer suicidal tendencies cause of this game and your post is gonna be used as evidence.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

Dark Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls EmptyWed May 11, 2011 12:43 pm

Hey, it's better than those other gamers, running around on homicidal rampages, killing other people all the time.
I'm reminded of something I heard from a comedian I heard once, but can't recall who it was.
"I went on a suicidal rampage... It didn't last long."
Back to top Go down
wolf_cub61
Fifth Nation
wolf_cub61

Nation Reputation : 2

Dark Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls EmptyWed May 11, 2011 7:25 pm

YYYYYYYEEEEESSS!!! epic in a trailer
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

Dark Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls EmptyThu May 12, 2011 4:34 am

Need more Gamer jokes from Comedians.
Back to top Go down
A_Bloody_Bunny
Loyalist
Loyalist
A_Bloody_Bunny

Nation Reputation : 18

Dark Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls EmptyThu May 12, 2011 9:14 am

11*11*11 oops, that's Skrim :-[

DS release date ...

The date I disappear Cool again Very Happy= :D

I have found a game to anticipate, finally Smile
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

Dark Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls EmptyMon May 16, 2011 5:12 pm

I'm anticipating so many title in the coming months. This one's definitely among them.
bounce

Now, if someone could just make it so that I can afford them, please? That'd be great.
Back to top Go down
A_Bloody_Bunny
Loyalist
Loyalist
A_Bloody_Bunny

Nation Reputation : 18

Dark Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls EmptyMon May 16, 2011 8:48 pm

There's still no official NA release date, right?
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

Dark Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls EmptyMon May 16, 2011 8:52 pm

The best I can find is "Late 2011 for NA and EU."
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey