Sixth Nation Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sixth Nation Gaming

Home Base of the Sixth Nation Community

Share | 

Dark Souls

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19
AuthorMessage
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

Nation Reputation : 211

Dark Souls - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls - Page 19 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 10:29 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Video there shows a guy avoiding damage from a grab attack by a mimic.
Apparently you have to mash L1 and R1 in that order repeatedly.
I haven't tried this myself, so I'm a little skeptical. Could be a hacker that just doesn't take damage for all I know. Still, if you happen to be grabbed it's not like you'll have anything better to do.
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

Nation Reputation : 41

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls - Page 19 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 10:46 pm

its gotten to the point where I can spot a mimic, they are a bit brighter.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls - Page 19 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 10:55 pm

Yup.
Also, if you care to know,
Spoiler:

Fun fact: Loyd's Talismans put Mimics back to sleep. In addition, this will cause them to have their loot drop appear in their mouth while they nap. While each individual mimic drops one specific thing when you kill it (ie, the one in Sen's drops the Lightning spear), all mimics have a low chance to drop the helmet, Symbol of Avarice as well. But when you repeatedly put them to sleep each nap is another chance for them to drop it.
The Symbol of Avarice is a giant mimic head. It's hilarious looking, but that's not its only feature. It ups your Item Discovery stat by a great deal, but slowly drains your health while it's on too.
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls - Page 19 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 11:41 pm

seems like a great item to use with the ring that heals you when you kill
Back to top Go down
Mitchell
Eighth Nation
Mitchell

Nation Reputation : 47

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls - Page 19 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 2:58 am

I am starting up a new character, going dexterity, endurance and vitality. Is Uchigatana a wise weapon choice ?
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls - Page 19 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 8:11 am

To start with, yeah. There are better ones later on.
Join the Forest Hunters covenant and you'll gain access to a merchant way off in Blighttown at the bottom of the giant wheels. He sells Uchis and the Washing Pole (a long, long katana) among other things.
Also consider Spears. The Winged Spear is available immediately in the Graveyard. Great movesets on spears. You could also try the Estoc for a starter, available down the elevator to the New Londo Ruins, before you'd even get to the ghosts.
Back to top Go down
Mitchell
Eighth Nation
Mitchell

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls - Page 19 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 11:42 pm

Was speeding through the game until I got to the depths, the area sucks. It's well made and a good change of pace but it's a maze, got cursed 3 times by frogs as they tag teamed me a bunch, made it to the boss but was killed by the chancellor above. Finally figured out that there was an easy shortcut to take that would have avoided all the frogs and gotten me to the dragon, it's near the giant rat which I killed first time through, how silly of me. Up to Sen's fortress now, got an uchigatana and about to farm some materials to upgrade it a bit.
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls - Page 19 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 8:04 am

what frogs? i dont remember any frogs.

and you know you can get the uchigatana in the 1st level for free right? no need to wait until sens fortress. thats where i got it from
Back to top Go down
Mitchell
Eighth Nation
Mitchell

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls - Page 19 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 12:39 pm

Yea I killed the undead merchant and looted it off of him. By frogs I'm talking about the cursed basilisk bastards
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls - Page 19 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 1:42 pm

you mean boob face?
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls - Page 19 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 2:37 pm

lol Never heard them called that before.
Possibly a more accurate description though. See, a basilisk's eyes are actually down below the big bulgy bits.
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls - Page 19 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 3:58 pm

boob face freeze you in place (petrify) because you just stand there staring at them....youd think it would be because they have boobs...on their face. but no. its because they are just so F***ing ugly you are so shocked and horrified you get frozen stiff, and have a heart attack and die.
Back to top Go down
Mitchell
Eighth Nation
Mitchell

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls - Page 19 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 4:35 pm

Well my Uchigatana is beasting, I farmed souls for an hour and got to souls lvl 85 (my previous character was 76 when the game ended) so I'm definitely overleveled. My dexterity is 40 now and I breezed through the Demon Ruins killing everything in no more than 3 hits. However I have hit a snag at the duke's archives, the normal crystal guards don't take much physical damage, so I went and made a Qualaags furysword , might do the catacombs before dukes archives anyway.
Back to top Go down
Mitchell
Eighth Nation
Mitchell

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls - Page 19 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 10:31 pm

Just polished off playthrough 1 (with the second ending) on this second character, final time was 18 hours 50 mins and at least an hour of that was when I was surfing the internet/eating etc. while leaving the game running. Could have been as low as 17 hours if I hadn't been stupid and missed a simple shortcut in the Depths. Game is still a blast and my second character is at soul level 93 with a pretty high damage output, went for healing miracles this playthrough and it was quite helpful.

I can still see myself coming back to this game yet again sometime in the future.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls - Page 19 EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 12:52 am

I don't blame you. It's an awesome game. Congrats on your second playthrough. Many happy returns. Smile
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls - Page 19 EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 4:26 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Get it and go die! Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down
Mitchell
Eighth Nation
Mitchell

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls - Page 19 EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 9:01 pm

Pretty tempting but I just bought Dead Space 3 .

I watched some gameplay of the dlc and the new enemies/environments look cool. It seems that the new bosses are pretty tough compared to the original bunch ?
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls - Page 19 EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 9:26 pm

First one gave me some fits, but after that it wasn't too bad. But keep in mind that I have played a lot of this type of game. The environments were as awesome as always, especially to fight other players in.
While I don't believe it did quite enough to justify its normal price, it's absolutely worth half that.
Back to top Go down
The Last Ninja
Fifth Nation
The Last Ninja

Nation Reputation : 19

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls - Page 19 EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 5:46 pm

Finally bought this game. Not sure which class I should start with. The main things I'll focus on are probably END, DEX, and maybe VIT. I'll upgrade Strength for any weapons that require it. For example, I see the Uchigatana requires 14 strength and dexterity, so I'll be at 14 strength minimum.

I'm thinking of Warrior, since they have decent VIT, END, STR, and DEX, with fairly low ATT, RES, INT, and FTH.

But I also heard magic is overpowered in this game, so Hunter, Thief, or Wanderer might be good choices as well. Thief does start with the master key, which I can receive as a starting gift, but then I wouldn't be able to choose the black firebombs.

Thinking
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls - Page 19 EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 5:59 pm

The only reason to get Black Firebombs as a gift is to kill the tutorial boss in the first go easily. What does that do for you? Well, it gives you a gigantic hammer...that requires 50 Strength to wield, so you couldn't use it forever anyway.

Lots of people go for the Pyromancer. Starts with some pyromancy, a pyromancy flame, and an axe that serves as a good weapon for some time, I believe.

The Master Key (which can also be bought now, once you're a ways into the game) is by far the best starting gift, but getting it can lead to skipping out on areas of the game, which I don't recommend.
Back to top Go down
The Last Ninja
Fifth Nation
The Last Ninja

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls - Page 19 EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 7:13 pm

I ended up going with the master key.

My warrior beat the Asylum Demon with her bare fists. Laughing It took me a couple dozen tries, but dang it felt good. I don't like the slow roll with the warrior's equipment on, so I think I'll try out the wanderer. Changed my mind about pyromancy, I'll likely use it.

Any penalties for declining to join a covenant? For example, if I say "no" and speak to them later, will I still be asked to join?
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls - Page 19 EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 10:16 pm

I believe so. You just won't get access to covenant stuff while you're not a member. For example, if the guy at Firelink Shrine asks you to join the Way of the White and you refuse, he won't sell you spells. At least, not to start with, I think.

Any class can wear any armor, so that doesn't matter much. Whenever I start a character I tend to wear just enough armor to maintain the mid roll even if that means skipping out on pieces. Not at all uncommon for my characters to not wear pants until I get further on in the game. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Mitchell
Eighth Nation
Mitchell

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls - Page 19 EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 11:04 pm

You beat the Demon with your bare fists ?, was that intentional because you always get a basic weapon beforehand.
Back to top Go down
The Last Ninja
Fifth Nation
The Last Ninja

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Dark Souls - Page 19 EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 11:48 am

Mitchell wrote:
You beat the Demon with your bare fists ?, was that intentional because you always get a basic weapon beforehand.

Yep. I did it before going through the door on the left side of the room to pick up any equipment. Was a nice challenge.

Initially thought this game was slightly harder than Demon's Souls. After going back to DeS, I have to say I'm very wrong. Laughing

I'm SL124 now. 200+ hours and I'm still on my first playthrough thanks to farming and PvP. I'll try to finish my first playthrough this weekend.
Current build:
Spoiler:

Highest SL I've defeated was a SL619 host. Shocked
Back to top Go down

Dark Souls

View previous topic View next topic Back to top