Sixth Nation Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sixth Nation Gaming

Home Base of the Sixth Nation Community

Share | 

Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 7 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 2:13 pm

If you were "Experimenting" then yeah. I*Goes off to fap to Rikku FFX-2 pics*
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Loyalist
Loyalist
eattheword

Nation Reputation : 111

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 7 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 1:36 am

Wow, and I thought the R2 campaign was dull. 40 hours of spamming the X button and watching long cut scenes promises to set a new standard for the term "boredom on a stick".
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 7 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 4:33 am

HANG THE DEVIL!
Back to top Go down
eattheword
Loyalist
Loyalist
eattheword

Nation Reputation : 111

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 7 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 12:58 pm

Is FF XII for PS2 any good?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 7 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 1:02 pm

It had some interesting points. You end up liking certain characters far more than others, and I know that for me there were two that were all but useless and never saw the battlefield but for the parts where they were forced to be in the party.

All in all I enjoyed it, and the story was strong, albeit the normal contrived stories FF players are used to. The gambit system was interesting and provided for decent battle flow, although I wasn't too big on not having full control over the battles, but then again I like the old turn based style a lot for the strategy. I just need to learn to move forward with the games Smile

It's certainly worth a playthrough for the story, but the gameplay won't leave you any really fond memories. I remember being angry at some points because I had to go all around this particular area for what seemed to be forever.

You can probably get it over at Gamestop for cheap, so I'd say pick it up and give it a shot. If you hate it, return it in less than a week for a full refund Smile
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 7 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 1:15 pm

Interesting game. Good story. The game does the battles itself. It makes the PS2 Play with itself!
The battle system was shite! other than that its good.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

Nation Reputation : 211

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 7 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 3:28 pm

I'm afraid I must disagree a bit with you guys.
Twelve's story was by far the weakest aspect of the game. It had some good stuff to it, yes, but it didn't really get much past the beginning before I started caring more about the sidequests than I did the main story. It had lots of good, albeit predictable elements,
Spoiler:
but these never truly developed like they might have. Worse, you get to certain points in the story, defeat bosses, accomplish goals, and what do you get? Short scenes followed by a black screen with slowly appearing text that basically says, "And then some stuff happened. Your characters were a part of it, we assure you."
I don't know. After 7, 8, 9, and 10, where you never really left the party's side, this change up really left me cold. I want to see what's going on, not be told about it. I have books for that. /rant
I will say that the combat was pretty solid, except for a glitch with the higher level spells. Oh, and you could at any time switch characters and give commands to any of them. It was also a nice touch that the entire party actually did travel together. (I laugh every time I play 7 and Barret says, "Can't have five people strolling the fields. It's too dangerous." lol) If everyone's KO'd then the other members step in. Good idea, imo, just too bad they don't get exp when they're not in combat.
The hunter's guild quests, and rare game hunting, not to mention a plethora of other side quests and hidden things, were all very nice. Everything I've come to expect from an FF title.
Minor complaints for the two Weapon class enemies. I've never even found Omega Mark XII, but knowing his stats, I don't want to. Yiasmat was way too much. A friend of mine fought him for FOUR HOURS and still didn't win. Worse, the bugger casts reflect on your party without notice as he enters his later stages and the poor guy was using Renew to heal. It heals you to full. Ugh.
Remember Ruby and Emmy? Those fights were hard, but they were over one way or another in twenty minutes tops. Okay, really /rant this time.

In short, the game is still good, and I applaud them for trying something new instead of just repeating the same formula (no matter how good it is) over and over again. But it lost a bit of that FF magic for me when the focus was shifted from the story.
Now, if Erik's link is any indication, then XIII looks to be falling the other way. All story with very little else to do. What's sad is that I'm still going to buy it even if it gets lousy reviews. Of course, that was just the one review of a person who isn't even done with the game yet, but I will bear it in mind when I read others. Never trust the 10/10's or 1/10's when you read reviews. Look to the 5's. These tend to point out all the good and bad points instead of resorting to fanboyism or hating to carry the review.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 7 EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 4:46 pm

Do we count ME2 as an RPG? If so, let's discuss it! Im returning Borderlands to pick it up when I leave work tonight. WOOT Shepherd!
Back to top Go down
A_Bloody_Bunny
Loyalist
Loyalist
A_Bloody_Bunny

Nation Reputation : 18

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 7 EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 7:05 pm

I'll stick with Demon's Souls being the closest to a TT RPG I've played since the PS1 came out
Back to top Go down
banded1
Loyalist
Loyalist
banded1

Nation Reputation : 59

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 7 EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 7:28 pm

rayray wrote:
Do we count ME2 as an RPG? If so, let's discuss it! Im returning Borderlands to pick it up when I leave work tonight. WOOT Shepherd!
ill be downloading ME2 for pc to give it a go. ME was good
Back to top Go down
SpongeBobNoPants
Loyalist
Loyalist
SpongeBobNoPants

Nation Reputation : 22

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 7 EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 8:12 pm

A_Bloody_Bunny wrote:
I'll stick with Demon's Souls being the closest to a TT RPG I've played since the PS1 came out
Demon Souls is too hard of a game. It fustrates me. And you wouldnt like it when Teh Sponge gets fustrated. Evil or Very Mad

Eat- Yes, FF7 is brilliantly fun!
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

Nation Reputation : 211

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 7 EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 10:38 pm

Wiki calls it an 'action role-playing game', so I say it's fair game for this thread. And believe me, I'd love to discuss it. I keep waiting for them to do a port to PS3, but I just don't see it happening. Sad
So, how has the game type improved from KotoR? What has it gained or lost?
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 7 EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 3:54 am

I'm seriously thinking of getting an Xbox for the Mass Effects.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 7 EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 9:01 am

In terms of evolving from the days of KOTOR, the Bioware team has honed their craft a bit. if you played Dragon Age, you could see a lot of evidence of the improvements they've made to the system.

The dialogue system is nice, because you choose from a general attitude answer and the dialogue goes from there each time you're called on to respond. I like it since you have a reason to listen to what your character is going to say, since you haven't already read the entire line before it is spoken.

The math processes are all done behind the scenes to allow the shooter in this to come out. Whereas in KOTOR all the math was done on screen, which was kinda cool, this allows for much more free-flowing action during the battle sequences. I'm a big fan of this series, and I really like what they're doing with it.

I was also a fan of the first Xenosaga, and when I heard of the epic they were shooting for I was pulling for them, but then they released 2, which absolutely underwhelmed me given the scope and weight of the first game. I was afraid that may have happened here too, but I'm glad I'm wrong.

Regarding getting a 360 just to play these, I say try it out. I bought my PS3 JUST to play MGS4, which I LOVED, and now I've met y'all because of it. As a gamer, it's worth it to have both systems, as there are a number of titles that rock on both sides, and when there's a multi-console release, you get to check the reviews and see which one is rated ahead of the other and go with it. There's no losing there.
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

Nation Reputation : 29

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 7 EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 9:08 am

HOLY SHIT FALLOUT NEW VEGAS TRAILER IS OUT.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 7 EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 9:34 am

o.O whasat?

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE cheers
Back to top Go down
A_Bloody_Bunny
Loyalist
Loyalist
A_Bloody_Bunny

Nation Reputation : 18

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 7 EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 10:46 am