The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

Ok guys.....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Would you like to see a change in the look of the SixthNation?
Yes
Ok guys..... - Page 3 I_vote_lcap47%Ok guys..... - Page 3 I_vote_rcap
 47% [ 9 ]
No
Ok guys..... - Page 3 I_vote_lcap53%Ok guys..... - Page 3 I_vote_rcap
 53% [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 19

AuthorMessage
Turtle
Sixth Nation
Turtle

Nation Reputation : 15

Ok guys..... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ok guys.....   Ok guys..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 11:48 am

Would it be possible to have a feature that just lets people pick from a handful of forum themes? Not sure if it would work with whatever host this forum uses or not.

Incidentally, I don't really see any reason to change the way the forum looks just for the sake of changing the way the forum looks. If it really fixes page stretching for folks then that's another story, although I really don't notice page stretching if and/or when it happens to me, so...
Back to top Go down
banded1
Tenth Nation
banded1

Nation Reputation : 59

PostSubject: Re: Ok guys.....   Ok guys..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 11:49 am

werent you one of the ones asking for change az? now all of a sudden you dont want it?
Back to top Go down
LT_Crispy
Fifth Nation
LT_Crispy

Nation Reputation : 2

PostSubject: Re: Ok guys.....   Ok guys..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 11:56 am

i liked the change Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down
Azira
13th Nation
Azira

Nation Reputation : 100

PostSubject: Re: Ok guys.....   Ok guys..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 12:00 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
werent you one of the ones asking for change az? now all of a sudden you dont want it?

I don't think I said anything about not wanting a change. Is simply stating what I think of a new skin saying it should be changed back?

I don't really care what happens eventually.
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

Nation Reputation : 167

PostSubject: Re: Ok guys.....   Ok guys..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 12:47 pm

My take is this guys.

Im just confused. Because for months it has been

page stretch, page stretch, page stretch
Why are the nav buttons so big?
This that and the other.

And so I go to address these things, and suddenly there is a whole new list of complaints.

I personally dont care either way, as long as the majority is getting what they would like to see.
But then PICK what it is you want?

I would care even less if I hadnt just put my whole weekend into this.
I have had guys from FM come help... and wasted their time.
I finally get things progressing, and I feel I am back where I started.

All I can say is, the images we have had made, took someone time to make.
Not only that, they are specific to us, and over all I like them

That means I have to look at themes that already match in colors.
That narrows the options immensely.

And no T. There is no option for users to pick a skin.

Back to top Go down
Azira
13th Nation
Azira

PostSubject: Re: Ok guys.....   Ok guys..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 1:13 pm

Then change it and make everyone try it for a day or two. If they still don't like it, well then, I dunno.
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

Nation Reputation : 41

PostSubject: Re: Ok guys.....   Ok guys..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 2:21 pm

Six wrote:
IM working with a lot of the buttons now.

Things are goign to be on and off while Im working so bear with me.

Construction huh?
I could make some dorky joke about building community but wont.
Its one of a few themes that fit with a lot of our images.
I was thinking something more along the lines of the site is under construction currently.
Back to top Go down
whatbearisbest
Seventh Nation
whatbearisbest

Nation Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: Ok guys.....   Ok guys..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 2:59 pm

Sad I was so excited to not have to scroll. I dont care what i looks like, now I have to scroll again.
Back to top Go down
Porky
Seventh Nation
Porky

Nation Reputation : 31

PostSubject: Re: Ok guys.....   Ok guys..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 3:18 pm

Sad I was so excited to not have to scroll. I dont care what i looks like, now I have to scroll again.
I used to have that problem on the forum index. I have since updated my IE and now I only get it when I hit reply or go to pms, which isn't
really a problem. Cool

Some people just don't like change Six. You try and try but you will always have someone complaining.
I missed the change in the forum today, but I'm sure if everyone gave it the chance they would get used to it.
Where's the appreciation guys...Sixy gave up his weekend to try and do something better for us all and all he gets is complaints. Rolling Eyes

Sixyyy... Ok guys..... - Page 3 915210
Back to top Go down
whatbearisbest
Seventh Nation
whatbearisbest

PostSubject: Re: Ok guys.....   Ok guys..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 3:25 pm

thanks i'll try uploading the new ie. and yeah i can't believe how people instantly complain when six spent so much time working on this. so ungrateful!
Back to top Go down
banded1
Tenth Nation
banded1

PostSubject: Re: Ok guys.....   Ok guys..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 4:13 pm

i didnt mind th elook at all. couple tweeks here and there maybe,that im sure would have been worked on anyways, but overall i liked it

also i noticed some of the old icons beside threads are replaced with "this img or vid has been removed or deleted"
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: Ok guys.....   Ok guys..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 4:41 pm

If I put the forum "under construction" (only because of software restrictions)....it gets locked down for a full 24 hours.
I dont want the forum locked down.

Yes, images were going missing B, as I was in the process of changing them all at the time.

Everyone is entitled to their voice. Im not upset that people use them. Thats exactly what I want this forum/community to be about.
But I do ask people recognize that everything that is done here is done on someones volunteered time.

The page stretch, imo, is a HUGE problem. If registered users find it annoying, does anyone here think a new user will register once seeing it? As I just said in another thread. Its not my fault a theme swap fixes it. I just know it does.
There s a bigger picture here guys. Its about evolution. Its about advancing. Its abut offering a place that is easier to use. Not so much look at.

Its not just my time guys. I cant image the amount of time that went into all our buttons and badges and rank symbols etc. I do GA stuff. And Leo has made for us all something that I could never even figure out. Im not going to ditch something that makes us unique over a few color disputes, and in that tell a guy his time was wasted, or ask him to spend an eqaul amount of time again to make all new ones.
Back to top Go down
Azira
13th Nation
Azira

PostSubject: Re: Ok guys.....   Ok guys..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 4:58 pm

Then change the skin already! You're the one who told me that even if you listen to what everyone has to say someone eventually make the final decision.
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: Ok guys.....   Ok guys..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 5:03 pm

I will, dont worry.
But atm, this second is not the time for me to do it.
If I can open some time to restart tonight, I most likely will.
Otherwise its going to have to wait until next weekend.
Back to top Go down
FlightOfGrey
Fourth Nation
FlightOfGrey

Nation Reputation : 36

PostSubject: Re: Ok guys.....   Ok guys..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 6:35 pm

I missed the theme change sorry, but what is the pagestretch that everyone is talking about? I personally don't know what it is, but you say that it is associated with the current theme. Are you able to access the source code for the theme, if you can could you post it here, along with a theme which doesn't have the page stretch? I could take a look over the code and possibly figure out what is causing this infamous 'page stretch'. Just one possibility. I know a few languages of code and may be able to help, although I can't promise anything.

You also have to realise that you aren't ever going to be able to satasfy everyone with every choice that you make, as hard as you may try. That's what makes this place great, everyone with different opinions. I think you could post a screenshot of a few exmples of themes that you like the look of and you think we will too. We then have a vote on our favourites and the top say three we have three weeks of trying them out, a week for each. Then another vote once that is over.

Because I think that a lot of the negativity is because it's different, while it seems like people here would like to see a change in aesthetics but we're not sure what we want changed. Having a trial period of a week for each theme would give people the time to become acustomed to each theme and a chance for hopefully some more constructive feedback than you currently seem to be getting.

I have no idea how this theme thing works, but would it be an option for us to design our own theme? Or do you have to use one of the presets? Because again if we find out what it is that we want to see changed around here, I'm sure that as a community and with the graphics team we have to skills between us to design and make one. Again though it's just an idea.

But keep up the good work, I think you need to identify exactly what it is that makes people want a change in theme or no change and try and collabourate that into your desicion making.

I just had a read over what people have posted in this thread these are some of the reasons why they think a change would be good:
  • CobaltMonkey - Noobs stuggle to navigate the site.
  • Azira - A change in the organsiation of threads, fewer clicks the better.
  • CptCrazypants - Views since last post should have its own button, keep the menu layout the same, change the look of the top links and a more detailed Sixthnation header.
  • nobody & Lod - Keep the theme dark.
  • Sabbathrider - Struggles to navigate the site, too much going on with text and icons everywhere which can be off putting.
  • Thedead1 - Font and Button size needs to be addressed, the Time/Date stamp in the header seems to blend into the background image and make an improvement to the Footer/Nav Bar which is hard to see.

Ok, so from what has been posted in terms of feedback none seem to actually need a change in theme. I personally voted for a change, but after writing all this and seeing what people want I don't actaully think a theme change is the answer. These are instead what I have taken from what everyone has said:
  • Reorganisation of catagories to make the site easier to explore and more self explanatory.
  • Adding a new 'view posts since last visit' button to the buttons.
  • A change of the buttons and header images.
    Simply adding a new button and changing the buttons and header, both of which don't require a new theme just some new images.
  • Get rid of the mini images on the index, it just clutters the page up and aren't necessary.

None of which actually require a new skin. Anyway I hope this post helps and collabourates everyones thoughts for you.
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

Nation Reputation : 41

PostSubject: Re: Ok guys.....   Ok guys..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 6:49 pm

thanks i'll try uploading the new ie. and yeah i can't believe how people instantly complain when six spent so much time working on this. so ungrateful!
look at the polls, its a 50/50 split. half the people dont want any change. im not going to thank someone for changing something for the sake of change. I'll state what I like and what I dont like if I feel it needs to be said.

That being said, the main reason I didnt like the new layout is mostly because I am not used to it. however I also have zero issues with the current layout. I dont have any issues with scrolling. then again I dont use IE. and honestly dont know why anyone would choose to keep using IE over firefox, or chrome.
Back to top Go down
whatbearisbest
Seventh Nation
whatbearisbest

PostSubject: Re: Ok guys.....   Ok guys..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 6:52 pm

here is what i'm talking about with pagestretch...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

i can only see half of your post, so to read it, i have to scroll left and right and its really annoying. if i see i post this long, 90% of the time I wont even read it.

and six is right, if new people have the scrolling issue, i bet they wont be signing up or staying long.
Back to top Go down
whatbearisbest
Seventh Nation
whatbearisbest

PostSubject: Re: Ok guys.....   Ok guys..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 6:56 pm

ok well let me download a new browser and see if it changes anything.

and i was kidding when i said "so ungrateful"
Back to top Go down
Azira
13th Nation
Azira

PostSubject: Re: Ok guys.....   Ok guys..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 6:56 pm

I had other problems with IE. Laughing I haven't used it in about a year.
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

PostSubject: Re: Ok guys.....   Ok guys..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 7:02 pm

Good post Flight, and if only it were that easy.

None of the themes available can be used as is. We are bound to what is offered through FM, which is anything and only anything from hitskin.

We did go through preview and vote options with the Loyalists, and at the time there was good feedback and options. Looking back, out of them all, none really fit with the buttons we have etc. and thats what Im clinging to now. Instead of changing the whole skin, and making all new images to match, I want to keep the buttons we have, and find a skin to go with it.
Any and every change would require all new matching things. So while the suggestion to do weekly theme changes and a vote every week is a good one, its not at all really practical.
Because the options from hitskin are so crappy, there isnt one theme that comes good. They are all user made, and for the most part are never a complete package. So every theme change isnt just , one click of a button and done.
Images need resizing sometimes. Font colors need changing. Whole swaps of forum images. Its a process that takes hours. Not seconds. And as much as I wish I could, I just dont have the time to do it every week.

The display stretch is a problem that most see in the post editor screen, although it shows its ugly face on and off at all times. When it happens, it forces the user into scrolling all the way left and right to read and reply to posts and having experienced it myself it is a nuisance. If you know css coding I could try to hunt down where it is, but I would be lying if I told you I knew were to even look. Most of the site isnt run on the edited css codes anyhow.

Finally, the bigger problem comes in the latency between hitskin and our site. Changes dont always go through at the first shot, and dont always display for everyone at the same time once they do. That, and the over all software seems fickle. I spent most of today changing a color from red to orange, only because once the change was applied, for some reason the theme was reverted back to its previous state and all the work I had done in the change prior to that was completely erased bringing me right back to where I started.
An issue that woould have to be faced at every and any modification to the theme.

Board lay out is on the list, has been discussed with all admins, and as I said, there's more going on here than just changing images for the sake of changing them.

Atm, I am faced with choosing between functionality, and appearance. Technically, I have this feeling that even if I were to reinstall the theme that this modified one is/was, page stretch would go away. Its still a process that eats a lot of time. And if I am going to spend that much time doing something, personally speaking, I want to get all the bang for the buck, and I want to get as much of it done all in one shot
Back to top Go down
whatbearisbest
Seventh Nation
whatbearisbest

PostSubject: Re: Ok guys.....   Ok guys..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 7:10 pm

ok downloaded chrome and it fixed the problem! awesome. now i just got to figure out how to use this minimal browser.
Back to top Go down
banded1
Tenth Nation
banded1

PostSubject: Re: Ok guys.....   Ok guys..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 7:57 pm

minimal? whats minimal about it?

also whats the resolution of your monitor bear?
Back to top Go down
whatbearisbest
Seventh Nation
whatbearisbest

PostSubject: Re: Ok guys.....   Ok guys..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 8:02 pm

there isn't as much "stuff" as ie. like its not all clustered and cluttered. i'm really liking it after spending a few min to figure it all out Smile
Back to top Go down
banded1
Tenth Nation
banded1

PostSubject: Re: Ok guys.....   Ok guys..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 8:06 pm

yea it keeps tings out of the way, but you can still get you everything youll need

not sure if you saw my edit there in my previous post
Back to top Go down
CptCrazypants
Fifth Nation
CptCrazypants

Nation Reputation : 5

PostSubject: Re: Ok guys.....   Ok guys..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 8:07 pm

Chrome is the best, IMO. Its faster, easier to use and it looks better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ok guys.....   Ok guys..... - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ok guys.....

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: News in the Nation :: Things You Should Know :: The Suggestion Box-
Jump to: