The Nation
Welcome to The Sixth Nation of Gamers. If you are not a registered member, please sign up today. It only takes a couple seconds.
Enjoy your stay.

Message Boards of the 6th Nation Community

Visit our Group Page on FaceBook!

Share | 

Book Recommendations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

Book Recommendations - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 10:00 am

Eh I would, but its starting on the telly soon.

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

Nation Reputation : 29

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 10:08 am

They're doing book one on HBO, but it'll be quite a while before anyone sees the next four books on screen. And you'll want to continue with the plot (if crack were a book, you would get this series).
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 10:15 am

More than likely will after the I watch it on the Tee-Vee.

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.

Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

Nation Reputation : 41

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 2:31 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I strongly, strongly recommend the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin, on account that its a fantasy series that can compete with the Lord of the Rings in terms of quality.

READ THEM NOW.
after reading the dragonlance series, other books I read seem so bland and boring. by comparison.

They are the reason I was never able to finish the harry potter series. After reading the DL series and then reading a HP book I was like "Ugh, this writing is so terrible"
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 3:12 pm

My statement of READ THEM NOW still stands. Just make sure you get through the first few chapters; it starts out slow, but quickly gets moving after that.
Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 8:18 pm

Hows the world? you compared it to LoTR is the world as shallow as that?

and by that I mean like is there a lot of history/backstory to it. or is is mostly a self contained story?

DL has around 300 books taking place across about 9000 years of history. and while most of that doesn't really matter that much, when the characters or the narative refer to events and such that happened, and it makes it feel like a living breathing place, it adds so much depth and meaning to the stories.

EDIT: Here is the list of books and where they fit in the time table just to give you an idea.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 10:13 pm

I would hardly call Middle Earth shallow, but yes, the world itself has depth. Important things have happened in the past that reverberate throughout the series, though few characters know all the details of every event, and conflicting reports of what happened due to biased perspectives help to simultaneously flesh the event out while still maintaining an air of mystery that leaves the reader eager for more. The most noticable and obvious occurance of this is when two plot-centric characters are discussing how the former prince kidnapped and raped a lady from another noble house, leading a continent to war; but when you hear the event from the other side, its told as the ideal prince falling in love with a woman pledged to another, and how their families and allies react to their relationship in the worst possible way.

The plot revolves mainly around the relationships, political intrigue, and outright warfare between the noble houses of the kingdom of Westerose, and to give you an idea of how fleshed out they are, the last 70 pages of the most recent book is an appendix of who belongs to what house/faction, how they're related to everyone else, and occasionally whose head they're after for killing/raping/dishonoring someone they hold dear.
Even with the emphasis of the book on the power players in the kingdom, the author also puts a LOT of ink into showing the effect of the power struggles of the great houses on the common folk, and how all sides of any conflict will murder, rape, and pillage without regard for the little people if it suites their purposes.

The characters themselves develope along with the plot almost without exception (those that don't change die too quickly to undergo developement). Weak little girls become strong women, boys become kings, diehard loyalists become turncoats, honorless villians become some of the few with any sort of moral compass, and the characters that you root for die. Imagine if Gandalf stayed dead, or if Harry Potter wasn't saved by a well-timed deus ex machina; this happens often enough to keep you on your toes, but its rare enough to shock you when it does happen. Realistic events happen to characters that feel like real people, with no exceptions. Almost every chapter has at least one "oh shit" moment, the pacing is just right, and the major twists in the plot are often almost impossible to see in advance, but make sense when they happen; those that you can see coming are no less awesome when they hit you. I can not speak highly enough about this series.

NOW START READING IT.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
CobaltMonkey

Nation Reputation : 203

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 10:31 pm

I tried reading the first book. Bored me to death. One of the few books I just couldn't bother to finish. I could see the direction it was going--
The plot revolves mainly around the relationships, political intrigue, and outright warfare between the noble houses of the kingdom of Westerose
--and am very easily bored by politics, let alone fictional politics.
Quote :
the last 70 pages of the most recent book is an appendix of who belongs to what house/faction, how they're related to everyone else, and occasionally whose head they're after
I don't really want to have to have a score card to keep up with the plot. I'm not saying you can't have a complex (or even outright convoluted) plot and have it be entertaining. I've played and enjoyed MGS, after all. lol But there comes a point where it's just too much.
Maybe it's just personal preference, but I'd rather have a story that revolves around relatively few core characters than have to keep up with who hates who and why over the last several centuries. Wheel of Time is about as far stretched out as I care to follow a cast.

Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 11:18 pm

Ugh politics. Sure some is fine, enough to give reason, and move the plot in a direction, but the main focus of it....BLEH! Book Recommendations - Page 6 394488

Quote :
I would hardly call Middle Earth shallow
I Haven't read the books, just seen the movies, but yes is was a fairly basic setting. Sure its above bare bones, but still at around average.

DL has a lot of myths, legends and historical events that happened, then there are books that essentially give a 1st hand look at what actually happened, compared to what most people actually believe happened.

Also what about gods? Thats another reason why I love DL so much, their gods are a lot like the gods from greek myths. There is 21 of them, 7 good, 7 evil, and 7 neutral. and they fight and argue amongst themselves, or use the creatures of the world. Well that actually depends on which age the story is in. during some of the ages the gods are gone, or interfere less directly then they do in some of the older ages.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
CobaltMonkey

Nation Reputation : 203

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 2:34 am

It's a book about Middle Earth itself. Or rather, a "collection of of J. R. R. Tolkien's mythopoeic works, edited and published posthumously by his son Christopher Tolkien in 1977, with assistance from Guy Gavriel Kay, who later became a noted fantasy writer".
Provides a lot of background on the world's creation, explains exactly what Gandalf was, tons of that sort of thing.
Unfortunately, it's also beyond boring. However, it does flesh out Middle Earth quite a lot.

Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 4:04 am

I don't think that he means political in the way of "I has a referendum" or whatever it is politicians do when they aren't lining their own pockets.

I'll be watching it on Monday, Its on Sunday over there on HBO I think. It would be worth checking out to get an idea of the books wouldn't you say? Considering the author himself said that it is following the books/on par with the books.

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 1:07 pm

It's a book about Middle Earth itself. Or rather, a "collection of of J. R. R. Tolkien's mythopoeic works, edited and published posthumously by his son Christopher Tolkien in 1977, with assistance from Guy Gavriel Kay, who later became a noted fantasy writer".
Provides a lot of background on the world's creation, explains exactly what Gandalf was, tons of that sort of thing.
Unfortunately, it's also beyond boring. However, it does flesh out Middle Earth quite a lot.

What I was talking about earlier was stuff like, in most of the DL books the civil war of the elven nation, and the divide that separated it into 2 distinct nations is age old history, however there is a trilogy that revolves around the that civil war, shows what it was like before, and what lead up to it, and why it happened. But it was also a very interesting story in and of itself.
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 4:09 pm

I don't think that he means political in the way of "I has a referendum" or whatever it is politicians do when they aren't lining their own pockets.

I'll be watching it on Monday, Its on Sunday over there on HBO I think. It would be worth checking out to get an idea of the books wouldn't you say? Considering the author himself said that it is following the books/on par with the books.

No, its more lining up your frienemies to kiss your ass and have them say "thank you" (if you're not outright trying to get them killed).

I'll let the trailer for the series speak for the books, since that'll give everyone a better idea of what the books are.

Back to top Go down
nobody
Eighth Nation
nobody

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 6:31 pm

So it isn't very fantasy. closer to just taking place in a far away place in a far away time
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 8:16 pm

No, its definately fantasy. Its not a high-magic setting like Dragonlance or anything else based on or in the vein of dungeons and dragons (in fact, magic is almost totally gone from the world at the beginning), but its definately a high fantasy world.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 4:12 am

Shrug I think it has sex an boobs so I'm good.
I think Omegas sig is one of my best works...

Anyway books, for anyone who hasn't check out David Gemmell. Either Drenai or Rigante series. Also I would reccommend anything else he has written. I still have his first book, Legend. Freaking awesome.

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 6:50 am

The show for A Game of Thrones is looking pretty good I must say for its Pilot. More than likely I'll end up getting the books, it'll be nice to have something else to read.

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Back to top Go down
jadedoblivion
Seventh Nation
jadedoblivion

Nation Reputation : 19

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 11:17 pm

has any one read metro 2033? i had it pre ordered here but its back orderd for almost 3 months. im just wondering if its worth waiting for
Back to top Go down
Meathead2004
Second Nation
Meathead2004

Nation Reputation : 1

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 7:03 am

Dharma Bums. Give it a read when you have the time. I enjoyed it a lot.
Back to top Go down
Dmick024
Sixth Nation
Dmick024

Nation Reputation : 12

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 6:02 am

im reading atlas shrugged right now by ayn rand. first 70 pages have been nothing but character development!
Back to top Go down
rrwatch
Seventh Nation
rrwatch

Nation Reputation : 63

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 9:40 am

im reading atlas shrugged right now by ayn rand. first 70 pages have been nothing but character development!

I have that book. I use it to throw at the coyotes that sometimes roam into my neighborhood. At least I'm getting my moneys worth that way. You really have to buy into Ayn Rand's whole philosophy to enjoy that book. I don't. She was after all addicted to amphetamines when she wrote it and we all know how much sense meth heads make. I only like Antherm of all her books. In Atlas Shrugged the hero is a rapist and We the Living just rambles. Just my opinion.... I do wish I could take back all the time I wasted reading her larger works.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 10:54 am

(o.O)

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Back to top Go down
Dmick024
Sixth Nation
Dmick024

Nation Reputation : 12

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 1:15 am

thanks for the heads up RR. i wished i would have consulted before i started buying the reccomended reads from amazon. ill slog on through, and if all else fails i will have a fall back plan to when we run out of toilet paper.
Back to top Go down
StreetxRacer13
18th Nation
StreetxRacer13

Nation Reputation : 48

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 10:44 pm

I finished reading it back in January, but I definitely have to recommend "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" by Steig Larsson. It got off to a slow start in my opinion, but man am I glad that I stuck with it. It's really quite an interesting book once the story gets going, which if I'm recalling correctly is around chapter 5 or 6. One of those ones that you're like "Oh my goodness, what's gonna happen next?" when you finish a chapter. Really worth checking out if you're a fan of crime/thriller novels. I'm currently reading the second book "The Girl Who Played With Fire" and I have the third one "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest" on standby for when I finish the second one.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 4:47 am

Jesus that girl is a rebel, playing with fire and kicking hornets nests.

Will check em out, looking for a good series to get into right about now.

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendations   Book Recommendations - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Book Recommendations

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation :: Entertainment :: Random Chat :: Books, magazines, and comics-
Jump to: