Sixth Nation Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sixth Nation Gaming

Home Base of the Sixth Nation Community

Share | 

Should I stay or should I go.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kratosXS
Sixth Nation
kratosXS

Nation Reputation : 74

Should I stay or should I go. Empty
PostSubject: Should I stay or should I go.   Should I stay or should I go. EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 2:37 pm

Hi everyone,

Just a word or two on a dilemma I find myself in while playing R2. Raistlin in his strafing tutorials on youtube said that you should walk to keep yourself off the radar. The problems I have with this are:

a) you are more open to sniper fire,

b) you are more open to melee attacks from behind,

c) if someone else respawns behind, you are toast,

d) by the time you get to where the action is, everyone is dead, and you have missed out on a kill, and at my level every 1 is vital.

How the hell do you survive the chaos that is TDM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF??????????

Also Shatten Fox and banded, it would be great to get some custom games in to see what I am doing right. NAH scrap that. It would be easier to see what I am doing wrong.

Any advice on above issues would be like water to a duck.
Back to top Go down
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Seyel

Nation Reputation : 83

PostSubject: Re: Should I stay or should I go.   Should I stay or should I go. EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 3:52 pm

I think that it really depends.

Per example, if you are sniping from quite a far distance, if you run from un place to another it does not make a lot of difference, because you just appear for a few seconds, and then once you stop it disappears. As you don't shoot the sniper constantly, you are quite safe. Anyway, if I can, I prefer to walk.

If you walk, just try to keep your back against the wall and have an eye on the radar. Forget about getting to whatever place in a certain amount of time. You need to get there. If running means being spotted sooner and being killed on the way, there's no reason to run. Think about the respawn places available in the map, if you are moving slower than your comrades, they might have started to kill enemies. This enemies have to respawn, keep a look in the radar, because what most people do inmediately after respawning is start running to go back to the batle or to hide and figure out what to do next.

You might be weaker in the sense that you are slower, and people can spot you. But you are stronger in the sense that people who plays only with the radar are vulnerable.

The advantage in R2 is that you can see the red icon on top of their heads from far away.
Keep your ears open, and look for the bullet's traces from snipers. That's the way you should not go.

If you walk, you need to watch your back and have a look at the radar at all times. You need to see them before they see you, so it's not about who's faster, who reacts first or who has the best accuracy. It's about looking the radar, knowing where they are and where they are moving to; and then use that to approach them.

Watch your team mates. Keep an eye on them. See who has shot them, see where they go. If you have someone running in front of you, you know that spot is almost safe: look at the sides, look at the radar.

I choose different ways if I walk than if I run. If I walk I go the long ways, the edges of the maps, behind building and rocks. It's not about getting there quickly, is about getting there and hold a good position. If I run I usually stop and walk before a crossroad or several buildings. That way they cannot know which way I went. You cannot really walk in the open, move under cover constantly, and run only to look for cover, to run from a grenade or because there is no option.

Btw, I am not a good player at all... xD I know the theory, and when I really use it, it works and end with quite good results.... but most of the time I get involved so much in the game that I forget everything and start running and following the enemy... which only means all their team knows where I am and when they suddenly disappear from my radar, I have 3 guns pointing at me... but hey... getting there. Very Happy= :D
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

Nation Reputation : 211

PostSubject: Re: Should I stay or should I go.   Should I stay or should I go. EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 4:59 pm

Good tips, Sey. Keep practicin' and you'll get a good as you want to be. Very Happy= :D

For my 2 cents , I decide whether or not to run based on the situation. Usually decided by how large the game is. Large games (especially TDMs) are, as you said, pretty much chaos. Chances are that no matter what you do you'll be spawn killed numerous times, so really the only time I walk in those is when I see two large groups fighting and want to flank the red team.
In DMs and small TDMs is where you find it takes a little more thought. For example, I'm a Carbine/Overload user. This means I'm all but required to get in close range to win. There are times that I want attention, as much as possible. Twisted Evil
Other times, like when I'm building my berserk meter, I try to pick my targets. Should I stay or should I go. 38633 I'll watch the radar and walk up to corners from a little ways away, then pop around to start the fight.
In DMs (Like the ones we'll be doing at Pit Stop tonight during Aftermath Monday /shameless plug), I barely run at all except for in the cases that Sey mentioned. To escape when low on health, dodge grenades, etc.
Really, just find what works best for you. Practice with all the weapons until you find one or more to call your own, then develop a play style of you own based around that. Once you do that then deciding when to run and when not to will be a natural thing.

Love the thread title, btw.
But shouldn't this thread be in the Sony section? *walks off, straightens a picture, dusts a perfectly clean table, ties and reties shoes until the laces are perfectly symmetrical.*
Back to top Go down
Seyel
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Seyel

Nation Reputation : 83

PostSubject: Re: Should I stay or should I go.   Should I stay or should I go. EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 5:02 pm

CobaltMonkey wrote:

But shouldn't this thread be in the Sony section? *walks off, straightens a picture, dusts a perfectly clean table, ties and reties shoes until the laces are perfectly symmetrical.*

uh? Why are you saying that? It IS in the Sony section...

*Sey coughs*

bounce Wink
Back to top Go down
aceofdiamonds
First Nation
First Nation
aceofdiamonds

Nation Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Should I stay or should I go.   Should I stay or should I go. EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 5:08 pm

Just own the suckitude... I find ways to live with it personally as getting better requires so much darn effort.
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Should I stay or should I go.   Should I stay or should I go. EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 5:15 pm

Seyelback wrote:
CobaltMonkey wrote:

uh? Why are you saying that? It IS in the Sony section...

*Sey coughs*

bounce Wink

I must be gettin' old. You know they say the eyes are the first to go. Then the memory. Then the eyes. Then the memory. Then-- Hang on, I think I hear a kid on my lawn. Evil or Very Mad
Very Happy= :D

Silly, ninja admins... tongue
Back to top Go down
Hoos
Fifth Nation
Hoos

Nation Reputation : 37

PostSubject: Re: Should I stay or should I go.   Should I stay or should I go. EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 6:00 pm

I think that I might be the only person around that almost never looks at the radar in any shooter. Suspect
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Should I stay or should I go.   Should I stay or should I go. EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 6:08 pm

Hey, if that's what works for you then go right ahead.
Keeps you from being confused by that blasted Advance Radar berserk. lol Don't know how many kills I've lost because the Radar said there were 4 red dots close together and I round the corner with Overload to find one guy. Sad
Back to top Go down
SixHousePull
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
SixHousePull

Nation Reputation : 180

PostSubject: Re: Should I stay or should I go.   Should I stay or should I go. EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 7:02 pm

I'm going to start by saying that most fps gives one the chance to play 2 different styles while in tdm and dms. Tacticle...and Run and Gun. A good player learns to do both as the game calls for it.

Which of the two you choose over all will determine many things. Some you will have control over, some are just effects of what you chose. In other words, play like a run n gunner....die like a run n gunner. Run and gun is fun. Sometimes, I think I do better when I RnG.

Playing run and gun is less about the map, and more about everything you see on the screen in front of you imo. And I don't mean....hey look at that one guy right there. I mean, you almost have to train yourself to see as much as you can in one glance. That one guy right there. The sniper that must be at 1 o clock somewhere judging from the trail of fire. The guy who just got owned over there by that dude heading your way. And you really just want to get over there where the bigger battle is. And after seeing all that...you have to form the plan that leaves you alive and all them dead. You have to be able to adapt. You always have to be aware of the surroundings. And you have to be willing to accept that if you go run across the map in this play style......you will always be a target!!

Tactical, is just that. Memorizing key points on maps that, if held give you the advantage.
In the case of R2, combining perks with weapons that give you that 15 minutes of glory as you own everyone in a 30m diameter
Using not just team mates, but enemies as distraction to execute team or single objectives
Flanking
Keeping an eye on that radar and executing a pre made plan when something pops up
Walking and using cover all along the way
Pretty much having the plan already set before going in, unlike RnG where its shoot from the hip and leave a trail behind you.

I'll try to do these one by one now.

kratosXS wrote:
Hi everyone,

Just a word or two on a dilemma I find myself in while playing R2. Raistlin in his strafing tutorials on youtube said that you should walk to keep yourself off the radar. The problems I have with this are:

a) you are more open to sniper fire,

Not if you use everything as cover as you go. But really, once you learn hot spots of maps it much easier to know where its safe to run, and where running will have your spleen laying next to your friend

b) you are more open to melee attacks from behind,
Remember to continually check your six. There are exceptions(and of coarse one being while locked in firefight) , but at no point in a game should you be focused on one direction only. Especially while moving. Always be looking around the dial, even if given no reason to do so. You never know when a ninja monkey may fall from the sky

c) if someone else respawns behind, you are toast,
See above. And one can turn around fast enough to kill a back shooter. It just takes practice.

d) by the time you get to where the action is, everyone is dead, and you have missed out on a kill, and at my level every 1 is vital.
Sometimes, yes this is true....and sad. But action springs up all around in this game, and the truth is, if your team has the enemies pressed all the way to the back of the map now after you just respawned, theyve left no where over there for the enemies to respawn either, meaning.....look out for enemies spawning in around you. Sometimes if you just wait around, the enemies come to you.
If they dont, I go for the flank. And yes, Ill run to get there. But as I get closer to the actual fight, I hit the brakes.

How the hell do you survive the chaos that is TDM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF??????????
experience in them. The more you play, the better you get, the more you remember..the more you learn.

Also Shatten Fox and banded, it would be great to get some custom games in to see what I am doing right. NAH scrap that. It would be easier to see what I am doing wrong.

Any advice on above issues would be like water to a duck.

Last edited by SixHousePull on Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
eve
Eighth Nation
eve

Nation Reputation : 28

PostSubject: Re: Should I stay or should I go.   Should I stay or should I go. EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 7:03 pm

You might show up after the action is done. But what if the enemy won the battle? Then we're in luck Laughing

Your team will become reliant on you to stealth kill everyone, or be a janitor and clean up the mess and take them out!affraid

Even though I do run a lot, I find that walking is really affective in BIG games, you can just sneak up behind everyone and destroy them up the rear! Cool
Back to top Go down
Hoos
Fifth Nation
Hoos

Nation Reputation : 37

PostSubject: Re: Should I stay or should I go.   Should I stay or should I go. EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 7:43 pm

I like to rely on reflexes more than anything. I believe reliance on the radar dulls down how quickly you react to what you see in front of you. That, of course, may not be true but appears to be true for me. For me, reaction is quicker than thinking and planning.

It also may be that I suck at reading any sort of map. study
Back to top Go down
Raistlin
Loyalist
Loyalist
Raistlin

Nation Reputation : 70

PostSubject: Re: Should I stay or should I go.   Should I stay or should I go. EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 8:53 am

Hey Kratos Smile

Generally in DM's if there's a sniper, even a good one, if you're a solid player the sniper will get a few kills, but you should always out kill them since you arent relying on a snipers line of sight to get the head or 2 body shots. So DM's aren't as much of a big deal when using my no walk example.

However, TDM's are a different beast in a way and you will find many more snipers and campers. 1) this is why I dont do TDM or lrage TDM's very much 2) If there's a usual area where a bunch of them are camping I always try to find another way to go around. I don't run as much because I'm staying the eff away from wherever sniper alley may be for that match Smile But for the most part my demos were for DM's hehe
Back to top Go down
-Dj-
Seventh Nation
-Dj-

Nation Reputation : -1

PostSubject: Re: Should I stay or should I go.   Should I stay or should I go. EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 10:10 am

Kratos send me a PSN Buddy invite i can help you get better with the wraith
Back to top Go down
kratosXS
Sixth Nation
kratosXS

Nation Reputation : 74

PostSubject: Re: Should I stay or should I go.   Should I stay or should I go. EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 11:51 am

Thanks everyone,

I'll take your advice and try to be a bit cuter on the battlefield. Dj, I'd be mad not to take you up on that offer. The more weapons I can be comfortable with, the better chance I have of adapting to the conditions.

I was a bit quiet on the DM scene over the past few days. I was taking my medic to max level. I achieved that last night. So now all that stands in my way of that lovely shiny platinum trophy is to kill 10,000 mofo's. Piece of cake LOL. I need about 8,500 more, and at a rate of 10 per game, early predictions put me getting trophy before Christmas (2010) haha. Still I'll soldier on regardless.

I have to say I'll miss my little medic. He is definitely a vital cog in the team. I hear people saying they hate being the medic. But I loved it when I was the only medic. It almost always guarantees a high score. If I was the only medic I could earn 30-40,000 XP per game. Everyone can revive a fallen colleague, but only the medic can restore low health. This is where he can clean up.

I am also working at strafing and accuracy. When I started I was all but standing still. Now at least I am moving from side to side, and mixing it up a bit. I'm better at aiming at the head. I've a long way to go. But I also notice that people are circling around me as i strafe, making it more difficult to pin them down. How is this done? Thanks all.
Back to top Go down

Should I stay or should I go.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sixth Nation Gaming :: Gaming HeadQuarters :: Shooters-
Jump to: